• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Firmware 3.50 Details (Friend Online Notifications, Appear Offline)

Decent but I hope there's a lot more than this. Folders and lemme make my own damn wallpapers Sony.

If there would be something like this they would announce it. They always had this sentence "there will be more" with the last two updates and it turned out to be nothing.

I still hope that they redesign that OS some day..

so many are happy to appear offline, do you not like playing with your friends?

That's not the reason. Usually, folks send you messages or invite you to join their game when you clearly are playing your own game. Its better to appear offline and avoid any avoidance when you want to be alone for that day.

Or perhaps you don't want people bugging you when watching Netflix.

RedAssedApe

Banned
so many are happy to appear offline, do you not like playing with your friends?

sometimes you're just watching netflix or the middle of an engrossing single player experience and want to be left alone or don't want to be rude if a friend tries to get you to join a party or play a game with them

That's not the reason. Usually, folks send you messages or invite you to join their game when you clearly are playing your own game. Its better to appear offline and avoid any avoidance when you want to be alone for that day.

Or perhaps you don't want people bugging you when watching Netflix.

Also, it doesn't even show others that you are using certain apps. E.g. media player or Plex.
Especially with a game suspended, it looks like you're playing something (possible mp) even though you're watching something. Might as well go invisible to avoid confusion.

Only works with Sony VAIO PC's...

that was already the case so far :p

If they're doing PC+mac, they should also officially expand to non-Sony phones/tablets btw

Protome

I am amazed we got something as dumb as notifications when your friends login before basic organisational options for the Library (even being able to remove Betas would be a start!)

Am I unique in having a decent sized friends list that would mean that login notifications being turned on would basically mean saying goodbye to the top left corner of whatever game I want to play?

Umm, that isn't how it works.

It is actually.
Putting a disc in will bump it to the front of the list but everything played after it has been put in will push it further back in the list (and if you put it in while the PS4 is still on the login screen it won't bump it to the front at all.)

Am I unique in having a decent sized friends list that would mean that login notifications being turned on would basically mean saying goodbye to the top left corner of whatever game I want to play?

Nah, you're not the only one. There are many people here not following the information in the thread.

(Notifications can be tailored to certain friends)

;)

icespide

Banned
It is actually.
Putting a disc in will bump it to the front of the list but everything played after it has been put in will push it further back in the list (and if you put it in while the PS4 is still on the login screen it won't bump it to the front at all.)

edit: nvm I'm stupid

5taquitos

once you wake up from rest mode whatever is in the disc tray its bumped up to the front of the list.

I don't think that's actually the case, I have Transformers Devastation in my disc drive, and I put my PS4 in rest mode every time I'm done using it, but Transformers doesn't move to the front when I turn it back on.

icespide

Banned
I don't think that's actually the case, I have Transformers Devastation in my disc drive, and I put my PS4 in rest mode every time I'm done using it, but Transformers doesn't move to the front when I turn it back on.

ah I could be wrong, I swear everytime I boot up my PS4 dying light always gets bumped to the front, but I don't pay that much attention to it.

Protome

Nah, you're not the only one. There are many people here not following the information in the thread.

(Notifications can be tailored to certain friends)

;)

Ah, cool. Should be added to the OP.

once you wake up from rest mode whatever is in the disc tray its bumped up to the front of the list.

is there an actual use-case where someone will put in a disc, then play more than 15 different games all before ever putting the system into rest mode?
Uh... The system most certainly does not bump the disc tray game the front when coming out of rest mode.

Bishop89

Are you really calling the entire update lame just because people don't want to be disturbed? And what's with enclosing friends within quotation marks? Maybe you don't have any real life friends on the PSN but that doesn't mean other people don't. Also, PC Remote Play is a big deal to a lot of people here.
Friends is enclosed, coz if they really were you probably wouldn't snob em like that.

I still don't see the point of it because you can already turn off notifications for messages and invitations.

It just comes across as dishonest.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It is actually.

Every time I turn on my PS4, whatever disc is in the drive is right there, front and center.

People getting excited of the thought of remote playing PS4 on PC......I don't get it, I'm sure there is a good reason...But nah.
Not as bad as waiting a for a HD release of a game then remote playing it to the Vita....That just fuck up.
Anyway, looks like a another
IclVnmD

Not everybody has multiple TVs at home. It'll be great to continue playing remotely on your computer while somebody's watching on the TV. Better to have an option like that than nothing.

Wil348

I really hope you can select specific friends for notifications. I have around 10-15 friends online everyday and it's going to get annoying. I have friends with hundreds of people on their friends list as well, there would be a notification every five seconds indicating that a random dude is online.

Eggbok

I can't wait for Sony to announce folders and see all the people complain about something else not being there lol.

I really hope you can select specific friends for notifications. I have around 10-15 friends online everyday and it's going to get annoying. I have friends with hundreds of people on their friends list as well, there would be a notification every five seconds indicating that a random dude is online.

I hope the same, I'm pushing 300 and there is always between 30-50 people online.

libregkd

Uh... The system most certainly does not bump the disc tray game the front when coming out of rest mode.
Just tested this right now because I never really paid attention before. I have Until Dawn sitting in the PS4 and it's tile was behind Broforce, Axiom Verge (which I was playing before entering rest mode), and Amplitude and entering rest mode and coming back pushed Until Dawn to the first slot.

5taquitos

Just tested this right now because I never really paid attention before. I have Until Dawn sitting in the PS4 and it's tile was behind Broforce, Axiom Verge (which I was playing before entering rest mode), and Amplitude and entering rest mode and coming back pushed Until Dawn to the first slot.

Weird, I just now tested mine, and Transformers (my disc game) is still 8 tiles back, while Battlefront (the digital game I played before bed last night) is right up front.

Cool, customised "friend online" notifications and online stealth mode were the main features I was still waiting for.

There are only a few more features I'd still like to see:
  • A way to group your online friends list by game currently being played.
  • The friends list showing more names on screen at a time. I have a huge friends list and it's painful scrolling through the online names to see what people are playing when it only shows a handful on screen at a time.
  • An indication of which platform your friends are currently playing on. The PS Mesages phone app does this, but the PS4 can't. I have a lot of friends across PS3 and PS4 and I can't tell which of them are playing GTA V or BF4 on PS3 or PS4 without asking them via PSN messages, which is ridiculous.
  • Fix the bloody PlayStation Store refusing to open after you've done anything else on the console (have to do a network test to get it to work, which is ridiculous).
  • The ability to set your own wallpapers.

I don't see the need for folders or PSN name change personally, but understand that some other people want those things.

Protome

Weird, I just now tested mine, and Transformers (my disc game) is still 8 tiles back, while Battlefront (the digital game I played before bed last night) is right up front.

I also just tested, Mad Max was still a couple of spots back where I left it.

I wonder what the difference is? What regions are you guys in?

Vashetti

Banned
Have you unchecked the box in settings that hides the icons past 10 icons?

No, because I don't want an endless row of icons lagging up the OS.

The point the poster was making, is that it's poor OS design to have a disc-related icon (e.g. Type-0 in my case) fall off the list of icons, leading me to be unable (initially) to tell if anything is in the disc drive.

If a disc is in the drive, that game should always be prioritised at the front, regardless of whether I've played that game recently.

Europe here.
Just tested it as I'm sure I would have noticed by now (never had to search for e.g. the Blu-ray for a series I was watching over the course of a week):
Game disc gets put in the front again after starting the PS4 from Rest mode. btw That's with another game and app suspended and even those got placed behind the disc game.

Might also be model thing, does your PS4 spin up the disc when it boots up?

libregkd

Maybe rest mode is just a bit buggy? I know some users have had problems with it (not about this problem specifically but in general) but who knows. I was playing Axiom Verge though (it still has that symbol on the tile to indicate that it's running) and Until Dawn has been sitting in my system for almost two weeks now without being played at all. In fact, it has to be being pushed up because I downloaded/played a bit of Hitman Go last week and it's tile was behind Until Dawn (again despite not playing for almost two weeks) when I tested just now.

I'm in the US though I'm not sure that would really make a difference. As I mentioned above, it may just be buggy (which wouldn't surprise me).

Mathieran

Banned
Remote play sounds great. We only have one tv so it will be nice to have that option available. I have a Wii U but I hate playing on that tiny screen. Hopefully my old Mac will be good enough to run this.

Vuze

I wonder what they target for remote play on PC/Mac. Crossing fingers for 1080p60, might as well remove my internal capture card if they support this :)

5taquitos

Maybe rest mode is just a bit buggy? I know some users have had problems with it (not about this problem specifically but in general) but who knows. I was playing Axiom Verge though (it still has that symbol on the tile to indicate that it's running) and Until Dawn has been sitting in my system for almost two weeks now without being played at all. In fact, it has to be being pushed up because I downloaded/played a bit of Hitman Go last week and it's tile was behind Until Dawn (again despite not playing for almost two weeks) when I tested just now.

I'm in the US though I'm not sure that would really make a difference. As I mentioned above, it may just be buggy (which wouldn't surprise me).

I don't know anymore :p If it is a bug, it's been a long-standing one for me because I don't ever remember my disc moving up after resuming.

Melchiah

Just tested as well, and it works the same way for me. Starting up from rest mode it moved Bloodborne disc to the first, eventhough I've played Destiny, Resogun, and Driveclub last.

Protome

I'm in the UK too, so I guess it's not regional. I guessed it might be just because they've had weird differences in the OS in regions before. Like the shitty "You're in the EU so we default you to Singstar" on PS3.

I'm willing to believe it's just buggy.

I'm in the UK too, so I guess it's not regional. I guessed it might be just because they've had weird differences in the OS in regions before. Like the shitty "You're in the EU so we default you to Singstar" on PS3.

I'm willing to believe it's just buggy.

When you boot up the PS4 (from rest mode or otherwise), do you hear the disc spinning up inside? For me it basically seems to treat the disc as if I just put it in, same noise+duration of spinning/checking (and thus also moving the icon to the front as usual)
Could be different disc drives, maybe some don't realize the PS4 was shut down in Rest mode?

Top Bottom