• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Firmware 3.50 Details (Friend Online Notifications, Appear Offline)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Someone does not understand how the internet works...

i'm not an idiot. i know how the internet works.

tell me how this is gonna work when the ps4 only manages an 8Mb connection (wireless) or 29Mb (ethernet) when I pay for 75Mb. my xbox one which sits right beside the ps4 somehow manages to get 75Mb.

what are people going to do with folders?

Folder A - Backlog
Folder B - The latest COD/FIFA/AssCreed/whichever annual release

tell me how this is gonna work when the ps4 only manages an 8Mb connection (wireless) or 29Mb (ethernet) when I pay for 75Mb. my xbox one which sits right beside the ps4 somehow manages to get 75Mb.

wireless or wired? are you using the latest ethernet cables?

Remote Play to Mac is amazing, didn't expect it so soon!

I'm sure more people would've wanted folders or the ability to sort the home menu over the additional Party functions though, seems they're really not coming.

Friend Online Notifications are a nightmare when you have 100+ friends.

You can set it to only notify you for certain friends

Friend Online Notification – Want to know the moment your friends come online? With this update, you can, as we’ve added an option to be notified when members of your friends list sign in on the network. Notifications can be tailored to certain friends.

kiguel182

Since I have my PS4 in my room being able to play it on the couch with my laptop is going to be a godsend. The wi fi probably isn't going to cut it but a power line adapter should solve it.

Hopefully this doesn't take long.

Vitacat

Remote play on PC is cool, but with most American ISP's offering meager bandwidths for high prices, it won't be fully enjoyed by many people here. Europe and Asia will have more fun with it, though, since they actually get good speeds for their money.

Clearly.

It's Sony servers that are the problem not the ethernet though I download at 40Mb that I pay for. Remote Play doesn't use Sony servers, it uses your local network or your own internet upload speed if you are outside.

Remote play doesn't need that much bandwidth

it's cool that they are adding some of these features finally. i'm especially excited about PC remote play. but man did it take them a long time to put this out and the new features are lite as hell. this is the type of shit they should be putting out as part of a monthly update

We're talking about BASIC features here that should have been included day one.

We're almost there though, soon you won't have to read these unbearable posts anymore

Just thought I'd save everyone the trouble :)

Also, what one considers basic features is subjective.

I think both simplicity and new features like what Sony did with Share are much more important than being able to appear offline and cluttering the UI with every option ever featured on a console. But hey,that's subjective too.

is there a chance the Xbox One measures in megabits (like ISPs tend to do)?
Because I've got the same sort of setup, ps4 and xbox wired on BT Infinity something (75mb/s) and PS4 get about 9megabytes per second download while Xbox One reports it in megabits.

Footos22

Yeah. even on ethernet I'm lucky to get half of the speed I pay for. Happened on my first PS4 and the replacement. My friends PS4 is all the same. So it's not just a single PS4 with faulty hardware.

Well lots of us get full speed so yay for us.

Just thought I'd save everyone the trouble :)

Also, what one considers basic features is subjective.

I think both simplicity and new features like what Sony did with Share are much more important than being able to appear offline and cluttering the UI with every option ever featured on a console. But hey,that's subjective too.

I enjoy the PS4 OS's simplicity as well. I'm not asking for much

I just want folders

So you download some app on PC that lets you play PS4 games on PC? How good does your internet need to be?

If both devices are in your home network your internet speed doesn't matter. You need a decent router but even my POS that came for free with my contract can do it.

Footos22

it's cool that they are adding some of these features finally. i'm especially excited about PC remote play. but man did it take them a long time to put this out and the new features are lite as hell. this is the type of shit they should be putting out as part of a monthly update

This is just social stuff thay isn't under Nda. Not other key system features.

36621-Brave_Fencer_Musashi_[U]-4.jpg

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So you download some app on PC that lets you play PS4 games on PC? How good does your internet need to be?

You will download an app onto your computer. For Xbox on Windows 10 you just use the Xbox app. From there you connect to your PS4.

Mikey Jr.

Dear God.

You are connecting to Sony servers. You are complaining about servers.

This will not connect to servers. This will just be a connection between your ps4 and your network.

Do you understand now?

manzo

Still no more than 8 players in party, no external HDD support, no folders.

Yay for PC remote play.

They don't allow keyboard and mouse play in most games so I doubt remote play will support it, you will need a Dualshock 4.

I know natively the games don't support it. But how do you prevent that on a PC? i'm pretty sure i can use joy2key or something in reverse. Are windows & mac's even that sophisticated that you can limit control to a "Dualshock" of joypads?

tioslash

Official PC Remote Play is fantastic. Looking forward to it.

On a side note, how long does it usually take for Sony to release the FW after a beta testing starts?

I enjoy the PS4 OS's simplicity as well. I'm not asking for much

I just want folders

I think Sony is totally right for not bothering with folders. The way their current UI works is incompatible with it, and it'd require a complete overhaul to make it work with folders.

They're better off leaving it as is (and implementing cool stuff like Remote Play to PC!) instead of catering to the folder-craving minority.

*runs for cover*

Flunkie

Banned
Doesn't sound like I will be using the "friends online" feature, as I don't want twelve thousand notifications every two seconds for my 300 friends. I'm so close to turning off party notifications. And they need a way to turn off notifications for specific conversations, like group chats, but leave them on for other, personal messages. I use the PSN Messages app a lot.

Fbh

Appearing offline and friend notifications are cool

Still kinda underwhelming considering how long it has been since the last update

what are people going to do with folders?

Folder A - Backlog
Folder B - The latest COD/FIFA/AssCreed/whichever annual release

wireless or wired? are you using the latest ethernet cables?

Organize your games by genre.

Have a folder with your backlog, one with the games you are currenty playing or keep getting back to, one with the games you have finished.

Put all the junk into a separate folder so your library isn'y filled with games you have deleted or icons of games you don't even own but are still there because you downloaded the demo/beta.

Put all the apps and non gaming related stuff I do not care about in a folder

Keep the games I actually own on a diferent folder than the ones I have on a glorified rental with Ps+

Etc.
There's plenty of things you can do with folders

Doesn't sound like I will be using the "friends online" feature, as I don't want twelve thousand notifications every two seconds for my 300 friends. I'm so close to turning off party notifications. And they need a way to turn off notifications for specific conversations, like group chats, but leave them on for other, personal messages. I use the PSN Messages app a lot.

According to the EU blog you can customize your friends notifications so it only shows up with certain friends

I know natively the games don't support it. But how do you prevent that on a PC? i'm pretty sure i can use joy2key or something in reverse. Are windows & mac's even that sophisticated that you can limit control to a "Dualshock" of joypads?

I doubt they can prevent it but the app by default will probably only recognise Dualshock 4 connection.

Raylan

Banned

Friend Online Notification
– Want to know the moment your friends come online? With this update, you can, as we’ve added an option to be notified when members of your friends list sign on the network.

Appear Offline – Sometimes you want to play a game or watch a movie without being bothered by friends. Now it’s easier to go incognito as we’ve added the option to appear offline. You can designate if you would like to appear offline when you log-in or at any time from your Profile or the Quick Menu.

EzWQZso.gif

Hilarioius.....

Wait a minute...

"Remote Play PC/Mac"

...could this mean official Dualshock 4 Drivers for Windows/Mac??

How would it work otherwise with the Dualshock touchpad when using for exampel an Xbox 360 controller?

Maybe you still control the PS4 via the controller it just takes the image on that and spits it out onto the PC via the app?

Though then how would this method work if your PC was nowhere near your PS4?

Hmm here's hoping for drivers...

Top Bottom