• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Firmware 3.50 Details (Friend Online Notifications, Appear Offline)

36621-Brave_Fencer_Musashi_[U]-4.jpg

Ow the update.

Tapejara

Friend notifications and appear offline are the big ones for me. User scheduled event sounds like it could be good for setting up trophy boosting sessions, so I'm interested in that as well. Everything else isn't of interest to me. Hopefully this update has some more meat to it.

I see this is another generation of whining about not being able to change PSN ID.

Guys, its never going to happen, ever.
Just get a new ID and leave behind your xxPokemonRaper1997xx name and never look back.

Exactly, as long as you still have the old account on the PS4 you can still play all the games attached to the account.

I guess trophy whores are the ones who care about it the most.

Dragun619

Well, friend notification and appear offline are actually quite nice. Even though its been a long ass time since launch.

But whatever, I get they prioritize other shit first before these, but I hope theres more features added here.

Looking forward to when the beta drops later. And if theres no other good features, then omg. A beta for these is ehhhh.

Dreathlock

If i appear offline and group up with some friends and play a online game like destiny, will i still appear offline for all other friends?

And does mac support mean that i can remote play on my ipad?

Just thought I'd save everyone the trouble :)

Also, what one considers basic features is subjective.

I think both simplicity and new features like what Sony did with Share are much more important than being able to appear offline and cluttering the UI with every option ever featured on a console. But hey,that's subjective too.
Share is confusing to me coming from xbox. It seems easier to record cool moments on xbox one.

I think Sony is totally right for not bothering with folders. The way their current UI works is incompatible with it, and it'd require a complete overhaul to make it work with folders.

They're better off leaving it as is (and implementing cool stuff like Remote Play to PC!) instead of catering to the folder-craving minority.

*runs for cover*

For the main OS view, I agree. Don't need it

For the library view, I should be allowed to customize it. There really isn't anything that makes that impossible.

Sony is so slow with the updates. It takes them so long to iterate and test stuff. This is coming from someone who had a PS3 since Dec of 2006.

Happy that you can appear offline (I love my friends but sometimes the invites can be so annoying)

Sony where the hell is my support for external HDD for game installs?

SirBaron

Banned
Why are Sony supporting a competing platform? What am i going to do with the Vita now

Competing platform? It's so that Microsoft is not the only one that can remote play to the PC and appeal to PC users.

Also you can continue using your Vita, It's not like PC remote is suddenly going to kill Vita remote just like Xperia Remote didn't suddenly kill Vita remote.

More options is good.

DieH@rd

Banned
I tested out the homebrew remote play app for PC, and it works great [both PS4 and PC are connected to router with LAN cables]. I presume official app will be even better.

Nice update! Hope I was selected for the beta! Please BASED SONY!
2 big ones like friends notifications and appearing offline are very good.

Keep in mind that there will be more features not announced yet. Can't wait!!

Sande

People still banging on about folders I see, the UI is so easy to navigate.
No it isn't. The second you want to access something that isn't in your ~3-5 most recent items (or God forbid you have to go to the fucking gallery to find it), everything breaks down. Folders on PS3 were so much better.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I just want folders and the ability to disable the disc drive from ejecting without command. Remote Play to PC is cool though.

Mh, going by the beta firmware announcements from last year, there won't be any unlisted important features and the public release could be in 4 weeks.

We had no leaks so I guess this time there wasn't a secret Japan-only beta this time?

Footos22

Share is confusing to me coming from xbox. It seems easier to record cool moments on xbox one.

Lol no it isn't. Its much easier just to make the share button do what you want it to do.
1 press for screenshot. Hold for share options or the last 15 mins of footage. or double presss to manually record from that point. Don't get any easier then that.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
All this time for some simple features? wtf sony....speed your shit up.

superjona

Pretty nice update and I wasn't expecting Remote Play on PC this quick, but I was really hoping for external HDD support.

Gobbly

Banned
Very happy for appear offline, hoping for one of the additional features to be the ability hide film/tv apps and games of your choice that are not installed.

Custom friend notifications is a God send.
Bit crazy we've had to wait this long but at least it's here.

Also remote play to Mac :eek:

I see a lot of bullshit and not a lot of PSN ID changing.

I would've thought Gaf would realise changing PSN ID is a dream.

The network clearly isn't built to handle something like that lol.
I've been over it since the PS3 days.

Top Bottom