• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.7 coming soon (HDCP off, Export video to USB, & Video Editor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PS4 still records at 720p though right?

I hope they can up it to 1080p at some point. Could then record your native video and upload.

Will have a ton of high quality screens and videos for PS4 games online then!

Also, the captured screens are not uncompressed either I do not think ... they still look a little below native quality when I view them direct from my PS4 HDD.

Ark

What I wouldn't give for MP3 support to arrive in this update. I'm bored of listening to Battlefield's sounds, I'd like to listen to my own music while pouring hour after hour into BF4..

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah my PS4 works fine with my 4x2 from Monoprice (after I replaced some 5+ year old cables I bought for a buck a piece with decent cables).

My HDMI switch box doesn't work for me unfortunately with the PS4 and it wasn't super cheap at the time either. The PS4 only works plugged directly into the tv but won't when plugged into the switch. Tried changing HDMI cables etc and that didn't do anything either. If it's not due to HDCP protocols (as my PS3 works via the switch and the switch is a few years old) then it could be my tv which is admittedly a good few years old now but waiting for this update to find out.

Guymelef

My HDMI switch doesn't work for me unfortunately with the PS4 and it wasn't super cheap at the time either. It only works plugged directly into the tv or not if in the switch. If it's not HDCP protocols (as my PS3 works via the switch) then it could be my tv which is admittedly a good few years old now but waiting for this update to find out.

What switch is it?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
What switch?

NEET HDMI switch. I'm not sure if this is the exact one but very close to it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001DAVA64/

Well I guess it's cheap compared to the other HDMI switches of £100 or so, just more expensive than the super cheap ones. That's the only reason I can come up with that an HDMI switch from 3 - 4 years ago can't handle newer HDCP protocols. Pure guesswork on my part of course. We have any idea which HDCP protocol version the PS4 uses ?

thelastword

Banned
Nice upcoming update, looking forward to learn about the other features. I hope Sony also give the option for 1080p streaming for persons who have the bandwidth.

Niwa

I just need a way to organize my games and apps, with folders or a way to sort! It's annoying that the latest updated games and apps are always the first in line.. ╮(╯_╰)╭

I've been streaming at 1080p, 60fps and capturing through HDMI this whole time. Though I've put in the leg / brain work to get all the devices I need to do that. It will be nice for those that need it.

I just wonder if the reason Twitch isn't archiving is because they haven't implemented the ability to allow games to prevent scenes from being streamed?

Also, Twitch has said this isn't something on their end, but Sony has to allow them to do it.

Plus for some of us it worked right out the gate for a bit, till they disabled it. It worked for me when I had the console early, and for a week or so.

Tabasco

I hope Sony heard about the complaints with the blu-ray player not working properly.

They just need to focus on that and get it fixed ASAP, unless they've done that already.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I always wondered what would be the minimal requirement for streaming. I've half a MB here in Mexico, so i always assumed no way i could stream with that.

I think minimum for low quality is like 0.8Mbps? Not even sure if it'll let you stream if you are below that.

At that quality its honestly not even worth doing. The video is a blocky mess even when you're not watching in full screen. I often wonder how some of these streams get so many viewers when the streams look so shitty. I guess the playroom stuff is a little easier to swallow because the stream doesn't look as bad when there isn't a lot of movement (i.e. some guy sitting on his couch).

I dont understand peoples obession with listening to music while playing game, why not listen to the music devs intended for the game? It adds to the atmosphere imo

I dont understand peoples obession with listening to music while playing game, why not listen to the music devs intended for the game? It adds to the atmosphere imo

I've hated all the music I've ever heard in video games mostly. The only music I've liked is the Resogun music and AC4 sailors singing. It's either to distracting or just bad in my opinion.

The only time I ever did was when I used to play Tiger Woods lots. Nothing beat custom music while you played that game, it was necessary.

Timu

Also, the captured screens are not uncompressed either I do not think ... they still look a little below native quality when I view them direct from my PS4 HDD.
You can tell by the file size they are in, if they're 1MB or higher then it's of better quality, if below 1MB which I seen before it's obviously going to be far from the best quality. Look at this for example from checking out your captures:

jbhIuq0kF1OMgd.png

Here's what it's like when you view them:

Better than Facebook and Twitter, but not up to uncompressed as the shots I took had a bigger file size than that and looked better too.

I hope 3D Blu ray support comes sooner rather than later. Sony was the company really pushing that in the first place. Seems kinda lame to not be able to play a Sony movie on my Sony TV with my Sony system.

As part of a separate system software update in the future, we have been working with our partners at Twitch and Ustream, and will also be adding the ability for Twitch broadcasts to be archived – another highly requested feature among PS4 fans who are taking advantage of the SHARE button features. These broadcasts will be also provided with a higher resolution of 720p, so PS4 fans can enjoy live broadcasts with clearer images.

Doesnt sound like Twitch improvements are in the next update?

DBT85

I've hated all the music I've ever heard in video games mostly. The only music I've liked is the Resogun music and AC4 sailors singing. It's either to distracting or just bad in my opinion.

I enjoy the shanties too!

I did wake up humming one the other day which was disconcerting.

Vinc

Now I just need Blu-Ray 3D / Netflix 3D support, DLNA browsing and streaming (not just playto), MP3 support (with background playing during games), customizable notifications, and better organizing of the tiles/folders support. After that, I'm set.

We've been through this before. That is an unreasonable expectation. Different architectures, different codebases, different everything. How you want software engineering to work, and how it actually works, are completely at odds. Maybe next generation, if we continue with same architecture upgrades, is when you can expect this stuff to carryover. Before we get some relatively obscure playback features, how about we get the patching system that requires you to download every past patch along with the one you're applying. I want things that'll improve my interaction with my games first.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=763718&page=1

This is a completely BULLSHIT excuse. I'm sorry but basic functionality that your previous system had is not an unreasonable expectation. I'm not expecting backwards compatibility, or playing PS3 games upressed. I'm expecting simple basic things like MP3 support, DNLA support, Bluetooth headset support, 3D Bluray support etc. These are BASIC functions that should have been there day one. These are basic things that should have been worked on and finished early on. I mean shit they already have a bluetooth stack on the fucking thing for their controllers.

We should NOT accept the dropping of BASIC FUNCTIONALITY because of architecture change.

Thoraxes

I got a 32GB flash drive that would be great for uncompressed footage and screens. Good shit and looking forward to it.

shink

Seems like this update Will satisfy many. I really just want video and music playback from usb, DLNA and 3d bluray before I buy a ps4. So I can replace my ps3 as my media centre.

This is a completely BULLSHIT excuse. I'm sorry but basic functionality that your previous system had is not an unreasonable expectation. I'm not expecting backwards compatibility, or playing PS3 games upressed. I'm expecting simple basic things like MP3 support, DNLA support, Bluetooth headset support, 3D Bluray support etc. These are BASIC functions that should have been there day one. These are basic things that should have been worked on and finished early on. I mean shit they already have a bluetooth stack on the fucking thing for their controllers.

We should NOT accept the dropping of BASIC FUNCTIONALITY because of architecture change.

You bought a games console that plays games, I would say that the basic functionality is working as intended.

Tobor

Now I just need Blu-Ray 3D / Netflix 3D support, DLNA browsing and streaming (not just playto), MP3 support (with background playing during games), customizable notifications, and better organizing of the tiles/folders support. After that, I'm set.

Netflix is dropping 3D, as is ESPN, Vizio, and I'm sure others. Sony will get around to 3D Bluray support eventually, but it's understandably a low priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom