• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.75 update out

doomquake

Still no DLNA support? Sony for crying out loud, nobody wants to rent/buy movies from the fucking Playstation Store.

yeah. as a 1 day old ps4 owner i did take a look at what sony is offering..since they own so many movies. Everything looked pretty cheap. 3 dollars or something (im hoping thats not to rent but to stream forever if i like). Anyway i figured, id throw away the 4 bucks in my account wallet on The Road.

it was the only thing i found that was 10 dollars..ihsiuhfihsdfsfd

No one has given a valid reason the PS4 is missing so many basic features. All I've seen is people giving excuses for this massive company not being capable of doing stuff much smaller companies do all the time.

Which smaller company is doing this? Please list because firmware updates, or updates in general to fix and add features do take a pretty long time to implement as well. The process to implement is not a 1-2-3- finished process. Are you trying to be dense on purpose

I can also tell you that people being quiet and cheerleading Sony isn't going to help matters one bit, as you seem to be suggesting. When people get loud and tell them this is unacceptable it can only help to push them to do better.

I think you just like hearing yourself complain more than people cheerleading them. I think just about everyone can agree that communication is really a low point for sony and that everyone is generally concerned about these updates. That's the biggest issue here.

3D playback, DLNA, and other "need to be certified" standards are probably not the top thing on any "game centric" PS4 owner's mind but probably other things pertaining to owner maintenance, which are valid complaints.

The gaming media has let them off the hook to a ridiculous degree so far. At launch last November both of the new consoles were lacking a whole bunch of features, and it was talked about.

But now one of those consoles has added almost every feature that was needed, and then some, while the other has only managed to make a tiny dent in that long list. This is noteworthy and it should be discussed more, but too many people, including the media, love to cheer for the guy who's in first place.

I have my XB1, and Microsoft isn't adding more features than what Sony already has. Microsoft are adding features that pertain to their system.

If you must, what are these typical new non basic features Microsoft has added to the XB1 that Sony does not have entirely that are PS4 essential?

Snap Achievements? No
Double tap to snap? No
External Storage Support? Nope, as you can change that yourself internally with your PS4
Send Real Name Request? Already there
Automatic Sign in? Already there
One Guide update? PS4 doesn't have a One Guide
Sound Mixer? PS4 doesn't have snap to utilize this but you can already adjust sound in party chat or just by holding the PS button.
See what apps have been updated recently? That's in the notification bar on the PS4 period.
GameDVR fidelity? Both seem to have improved to 720p
Party chat invites? Both seem to very easy to do
Favorite friends? Not XB1 exclusive but surely something Sony can't implement
Games & Apps organization? XB1 did it first and we are still waiting on Sony to implement.
Download management? Same as above.

DLNA? Neither, except Play to which still isn't DLNA
MP3? Neither, both requiring sub to either Xbox Music or Music Unlimited
3D Playback? Both officially gained support for.

So if I may ask, where are these new features? I haven't seen the Xbox one apply any new features that either can be done on both systems, or are non essential to how the xbox has to function. Unless I'm missing some, please educate me.

No one has given a valid reason the PS4 is missing so many basic features. All I've seen is people giving excuses for this massive company not being capable of doing stuff much smaller companies do all the time.

Isn't it pretty obvious though? The PS4 was designed as a new system, not a PS3++, so what we got was a new system. It had different priorities. It's not as though they can simply lift and shift much of the old codebase. It's been written from scratch.

It doesn't really matter how big the company is, any new features will affect the UI and need to be both designed and implemented system wide. You can't just randomly throw lots of programmers at it and expect it to be done faster. I'm sure they want all these requested features out yesterday, but unless someone asks why and gets a detailed answer you're just not going to know why not.

I've got the system I wanted and can't think of any real features I'm waiting on, I'd rather they spent the resources on fixing bugs with gameplay recording and evolving the UI while keeping its fluidity.

what? hold down the PS button and you see the battery status. bottom right corner

Hold the PS button for a second or so

This is too funny.

Are you a mom or elderly person? Or both?!

27/m so I guess both?

We've been able to check with the ps button since release. Have you never turned off your console? Emphasis on the Nintendo apparently lol.

I always use the power tile on the far right of the XMB. Just used to pressing the PS button on the DS3. Thanks everyone.

I'm still upset the stupid "Library" is on the far right.

FeiRR

Banned

What basic functionality of a gaming console is it missing? I miss suspend/resume and I don't like hit-and-miss working of the recording feature but they're not basic functions.

DirtyLarry

This is really something that is super small in the grand scheme of things but it does bother me just because I cannot figure it out...

My Avatar picture no longer shows up next to my name on the PS4. Just a black box with a circle (I believe.)

I even changed the Avatar I was using on the PS3 itself to see if that would force it to be recognized, but no luck. It also does not matter if I pick a stock Avatar or any of the 10 or so I have picked up over the years.

Anyone else seeing this?
I am not sure if it started happening with this firmware or not, as it has been about 10 days since I last fired up my PS4.

Again, it is not a big deal at all. Just something I would like fixed if possible.

What basic functionality of a gaming console is it missing? I miss suspend/resume and I don't like hit-and-miss working of the recording feature but they're not basic functions.

Change wallpaper/system-wide color scheme. Sorting/organizing into folders. Basic basic things.
Enough with the obscure functionality Sony, work on the low hanging fruit that everyone will use and see on a daily basis.

FStop7

Banned
And I still have to disconnect my DualShock4 and turn it back on to check the battery status. Shameful.

See, this is the kind of stuff I'm dumbfounded by. I like my PS4, but what the hell is going on with the OS?

Edit - yes, I know a long press of the PS button will get you to battery status, but why is it not in the menu when you do a quick tap? It's such an elementary thing.

Past

Change wallpaper/system-wide color scheme. Sorting/organizing into folders. Basic basic things.
Enough with the obscure functionality Sony, work on the low hanging fruit that everyone will use and see on a daily basis.

Seriously. I can't believe the biggest update we got was for share features. Priority Sony, priority.

Danlord

Tweet from the Senior Producer at SCE whom works on SHAREfactory posted this;

67RvI36.png

A little something in the update, that's something I guess.

FeiRR

Banned
How is gaming related? I don't care if the background is blue or whatever if it's fast and it runs games. Folders, alright, it would help.

This is basic I can agree with. Changing Wallpapers, system wide color scheme is probably something they thought we could do without right now seeing as they spent more time on the "Game View" but it doesn't seem like something that couldn't be added.

With your last part, we are at a serious war on what is more "important" to implement.

Vashetti

Banned
Just finished watching Jurassic Park 3D. No issues here, worked like a charm! It wasn't mindblowingly awesome or anything but it creates a pretty darn good extra level of immersion. I'm definitely gonna pick up a 3D versions when I buy movies from now on.

Don't do this. Read reviews first.

Whilst I agree 3D is awesome (when done right), a lot of conversions are absolutely shameful and give no tangible 3D at all. Sometimes the ones filmed in 3D don't even give a good 3D effect.

16BitNova

To anyone who has their Deep Color Output setting set to Automatic, I believe this update reset mine to OFF. Just a heads up.

djblue89

HELP !!!!!

Can any one give me the link to the reinstallation file for 1.75, I've just update my HardDrive and I need the link !

Raist

Banned

I'm curious to read which features exactly would fall into this category for you.

I can also tell you that people being quiet and cheerleading Sony isn't going to help matters one bit, as you seem to be suggesting. When people get loud and tell them this is unacceptable it can only help to push them to do better.

The gaming media has let them off the hook to a ridiculous degree so far. At launch last November both of the new consoles were lacking a whole bunch of features, and it was talked about. But now one of those consoles has added almost every feature that was needed, and then some, while the other has only managed to make a tiny dent in that long list. This is noteworthy and it should be discussed more, but too many people, including the media, love to cheer for the guy who's in first place.

It's a gaming console. Does the PS4 not having all these "basic features" prevent you from enjoying the games somehow?

Traffcore

I have problems in the activity Feed. The letters just turned super small.

Anyone else got this problem after the new update?

androvsky

It's a gaming console. Does the PS4 not having all these "basic features" prevent you from enjoying the games somehow?
Try playing War Thunder without custom soundtracks while wearing a headset (so no using other devices for the music). I'm enough of an aviation nerd that I'm fine just listening to the engines for a while, but even I'd like to have custom soundtracks.

War Thunder acknowledges the lack of music in the game since it had a shoutcast option left over from the PC version for a while, but without any codecs in the PS4 it didn't work.

Which smaller company is doing this? Please list because firmware updates, or updates in general to fix and add features do take a pretty long time to implement as well. The process to implement is not a 1-2-3- finished process. Are you trying to be dense on purpose

There have been a couple mobile companies that had fully functioning user profile's achievement systems years ago. These were tiny companies that had achievements that didn't need to be manually synced, and friend notifications, and some of the very same stuff the PS4 still doesn't have 9 months after launch.

Not to mention we've got Steam, iOS Gamecenter, and Xbox Live which all do these things with ease. It's only Sony that seems to be so inept in this regard.

So if I may ask, where are these new features? I haven't seen the Xbox one apply any new features that either can be done on both systems, or are non essential to how the xbox has to function. Unless I'm missing some, please educate me.

This is basic I can agree with. Changing Wallpapers, system wide color scheme is probably something they thought we could do without right now seeing as they spent more time on the "Game View" but it doesn't seem like something that couldn't be added.

With your last part, we are at a serious war on what is more "important" to implement.

Yes, and you very conveniently want to define for all of us what those "important" and "essential" functions are. I've got a very long list of things the XB1 does that the PS4 doesn't, but I'm sure you'd tell me they're just not important things. You've got your own very narrow expectations you keep wanting to project on all of us. "The milk didn't make you sick, so you should be grateful you've got milk to drink at all" argument.

I've got the system I wanted and can't think of any real features I'm waiting on, I'd rather they spent the resources on fixing bugs with gameplay recording and evolving the UI while keeping its fluidity.

and isn't it interesting those things still aren't working 9 months after launch?

I'm curious to read which features exactly would fall into this category for you.

here is just a quick little list.

- notifications when friends come online.
- ability to pause files that are being downloaded.
- favoriting friends to allow for quicker access to them.
- a game DVR function that actually works.
- the ability to change your username.
- ability to change the background color of the UI.
- customizing/organizing the layout of your games/apps on the home screen.

I just play games on my PS4 and I don't care about this extra features, shocking right?

Like 3D BluRay users, I'm sure you're in the minority.
But Sony is most definitely tracking usage statistics via PSN and tackling the areas the majority of people seem to be searching for. I know I'm constantly clicking randomly in the list of apps hoping for a Spotify or YouTube app to start running. But that crazy ShareFactory app keeps opening instead.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
here is just a quick little list.

- notifications when friends come online.
- ability to pause files that are being downloaded.
- favoriting friends to allow for quicker access to them.
- a game DVR function that actually works.
- the ability to change your username.
- ability to change the background color of the UI.
- customizing/organizing the layout of your games/apps on the home screen.

Why are you in every PS4 update thread waving the X1 is better flag. And no one seems to praise the PS4 for the things it has had since launch.

Jomjom

Banned
Can't believe 3d bluray was a priority...

Nothing is a priority for them. It's just the easiest thing to implement. Same with making the sound better at 1.5x speed and moving notifications to the left corner of the screen.

I'm tired of people giving Sony and the PS4 a pass just because they marketed it as a "games machine #4 for the gamers!!11!". Learn to stop buying into marketing bullshit. The PS3, Xbox 360, and Xbox One are all game machines, and yet they can all be fully featured with things that supplement and enhance the user experience of the console.

What does being a "game machine" have to do with your firmware team? Does being a game machine mean that your firmware team gets to smoke weed and take selfies all day when they are at work?

Sony did so well with putting effective and competent people on the hardware team, they need to clean house with the software/firmware team and find the same kind of people to replace them. I don't get how some people are still arguing this. I'm also tired of people giving Sony as pass because they are a "hardware" company. Hardware today is as much about the specs as they are about the software powering them. Talented firmware, UI, and OS guys are out there, go offer them the big bucks!

Posted this in the "PS4 FW 1.75 is coming" thread but since it came out the thread has since been abandoned:

Does anyone know why my PS4 keeps downloading these updates but not actually installing them? There's no reason for the console to download it and just let it sit there unless I explicitly sit down and tell it to install the update. Why can't it just install right after downloading?

Nothing is a priority for them. It's just the easiest thing to implement.

I'm tired of people giving Sony and the PS4 a pass just because they marketed it as a "games machine #4 for the gamers!!11!". Learn to stop buying into marketing bullshit. The PS3, Xbox 360, and Xbox One are all game machines, and yet they can all be fully featured for things that supplement and enhance the user experience of the console.

What does being a "game machine" have to do with your firmware team? Does being a game machine mean that your firmware team gets to smoke weed and take selfies all day when they are at work?

It means game features come first. Like improving upon or adding new features related to playing the game. It's weird almost everyone talks about is firmware updates now. Almost every other week a new game gets announced and no one talks about that.

Posted this in the "PS4 FW 1.75 is coming" thread but since it came out the thread has since been abandoned:

It will automatically install game updates but, not firmware updates.

Jomjom

Banned
It means game features come first. Like improving upon or adding new features related to playing the game. It's weird almost everyone talks about is firmware updates now. Almost every other week a new game gets announced and no one talks about that.

Then they should have had suspend and resume and that feature which allows people to assist another player with a portion of the game implemented already. Those are both highly requested features (and long-promised features) that only have to do with gaming. Add to that organizing my games so I can actually access them quickly, and also adding in friend notifications so I can tell when my friends sign on so I can play games with them.

Which is why in my post, I said "marketing. bullshit."

Because many people feel auto-installing a firmware update is a really bad idea, especially for a device that doesn't have a built-in battery backup.

I'm not one of those many people. I'd much rather have an option for auto-install because I'd definitely turn it on.

Kodros

Because you have to agree to some terms before you install it. I'm sure people would throw a hissy fit if Sony automatically updated your firmware and then broke something.

There have been a couple mobile companies that had fully functioning user profile's achievement systems years ago. These were tiny companies that had achievements that didn't need to be manually synced, and friend notifications, and some of the very same stuff the PS4 still doesn't have 9 months after launch.

Not to mention we've got Steam, iOS Gamecenter, and Xbox Live which all do these things with ease. It's only Sony that seems to be so inept in this regard.

I feel like now, you are talking out of your ass.

The fact that you can't name one of these "tiny" companies just sound ridiculous to even assert.

Next, user profile achievements, friend notifications, and manually synced trophies is your beef? Seriously?

This is hardly something that is so tragic that the PS4 is in desperate need of implementing now. I understand that it may be something you want, but you make it sound as if these things are really some new features that are detrimental to the foundations of the system.

They are annoyances that should be there but please......the fact that you even featured these things that 9 months out the box, neither of them had day one either is laughable. Not to mention, some of the games in iOS Game Center had no achievements.

Yes, and you very conveniently want to define for all of us what those "important" and "essential" functions are. I've got a very long list of things the XB1 does that the PS4 doesn't, but I'm sure you'd tell me they're just not important things. You've got your own very narrow expectations you keep wanting to project on all of us. "The milk didn't make you sick, so you should be grateful you've got milk to drink at all" argument.

YOU have a very long list of things the XB1 does that the PS4 can't do (as of right now). As well as a list of things YOU find important that if others don't necessarily agree with which are more important to YOU, they are being Sony cheerleaders or making excuses.

I have never pushed or even expressed what the heck it is I want my PS4 to do in practically any thread; but however have acknowledged whether or not Sony could implement them or whether the timing for such implementation is warranted. I don't come into every single Sony firmware thread whining about what it is I WANT and what MICROSOFT is doing. That would be you sir. You have your own narrow expectations that you keep wanting to project on all of us. And I think everyone who sees your post around here already expects that.

At the end of the day, Idgaf what any other company is doing. They all do things at whatever pace and time, schedule, regulation time period, etc they want. All I want is some COMMUNICATION on these features. I understand, whether basic or not, people aren't sitting at homes chillin with beers on paid vacation but are working hard to get these features out. Its not fair to them Sony is the one being quiet or vague about what they are doing. But as long as my system works, I can still play games, I still have my basic essential apps and can chat with my friends, whatever comes later and whatever bug fixes I find, I would hope they can listen and communicate with us.

Top Bottom