• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.75 update out

wilflare

I suppose so, I guess I usually delete stuff I just finished and don't plan on replaying soon, so I figure my list won't ever get to the hundreds

yeah moving library to the left would be a good idea

another method would be allowing us to sticky certain apps/games

Ok I got a PS4 today, and installed FW 1.75.

Now that I have the system, I understand the pain that the inability to pause downloads is causing to players...I mistakenly launched a lot of downloads at the same time and it hinders the downloads that really matter :( (I could delete the downloads and do them one at a time mind you, but it's still regrettable. The PS3 has it, so why not the PS4 o_O

However, integration of PSN(SEN) in the OS? God that's a good idea, it finally loads without waiting \o/

how come these updates don't simply install while in standby? that should definitely be an option. what's the point of clicking on update now and waiting for the thing to restart just to play a game or use psn, just have the machine download and install the update. seems logical to me

how come these updates don't simply install while in standby? that should definitely be an option. what's the point of clicking on update now and waiting for the thing to restart just to play a game or use psn, just have the machine download and install the update. seems logical to me

EDIT: Okay yeah, the Ps3 just auto-downloads. I was thinking of game patches.

I absolutely want the option to pause/resume downloads. The only way I can kind of do that now is cutting off the wifi, causing the download to 'fail' in a paused state, then reconnect and tell the download to retry when I'm done for the night.

icespide

Banned

you don't want the updates to auto install because of the chance that there's a major problem with a firmware update and it's bricking systems or something.

auto-downloading is fine

I agree with this, the PS3 will install them overnight, why can't my Ps4 >.>

PS3 doesn't auto-install, it auto-downloads

mattp

are you kidding me?
you NEVER want a firmware update to happen automatically

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Has anyone tried it out yet? The PS3 had an issue where 3D Blu Rays would not output in Dolby True HD, and would only play with crappy old Dolby Digital (DTS HD was fine).

3D films that used True HD were not very common, but there was some high profile films where this was a big problem (Transformers 3 and Star Trek Into Darkness to name two)

Btw anyone looking for a good 3D blu ray needs to check out Pacific Rim in 3D, it's incredible.

Anyone??

Sayter

you don't want the updates to auto install because of the chance that there's a major problem with a firmware update and it's bricking systems or something.

auto-downloading is fine

What's the difference in auto installing firmware that may brick the system and manually installing it? Either way you won't know until after it's done, yes?

icespide

Banned
What's the difference in auto installing firmware that may brick the system and manually installing it? Either way you won't know until after it's done, yes?

the difference is if you have to manually install it you have a chance to do some research online and make sure there weren't any major issues before actually installing it

I guess those that worry about it will always check some forums first, before updating. Just to get an idea of any problems.

Well there's this crazy thing called Internet forums where some folks could read ahead if something went wrong with the update and don't install it.

-griffy-

Banned

You are more in control of the situation to better avoid bricking your system. Like, say, there is a thunderstorm going on, you might wisely decide to wait on installing the update in case the power goes out. Now imagine the system automatically installing it in the middle of the night and the power goes out, or your cat pulls the power cable out, or something else happens because you are sleeping.

the difference is if you have to manually install it you have a chance to do some research online and make sure there weren't any major issues before actually installing it

umm...how about the option? i've never once researched a firmware like that before installing it. i start up the system, i click "Update Now" and then I wait

Vooduu

Still no DLNA support? Sony for crying out loud, nobody wants to rent/buy movies from the fucking Playstation Store.

icespide

Banned
umm...how about the option? i've never once researched a firmware like that before installing it. i start up the system, i click "Update Now" and then I wait

if they allowed the option and even one console got bricked from a auto firmware update install, they blew it. not worth the risk

jaxpunk

Still no DLNA support? Sony for crying out loud, nobody wants to rent/buy movies from the fucking Playstation Store.

So piracy then? It seems weird they'd not drop everything to implement a beat around the bush I need it for linux isos capability.

Dragon

Banned
Please stop making excuses for a multi billion dollar corporation. They could have made the OS a priority, but clearly they haven't.

And why on earth would it make sense to bring up the PS5 in this discussion? lol That's a defense strategy I haven't seen used before. We know the PS4 OS is lacking all sorts of things, but hey, the PS5 is gonna be AMAZING in 2020!

Yeah they made gaming a priority and since launch we've gotten tons of digital games that aren't on other consoles so please stop it with your crusade to propagate the myth that the Xbox OS is so amazing and better than its competition when it has huge usability concerns.

Idk, I choice not to come into every Sony firmware update thread to complain about the same stuff. There is no defense for it, but if some people can take a little bit of a step back and see the reasons for such delays, I'm really not sure why you can't. I think it has been explained plenty why Sony OS isn't their first priority, why it's Microsoft and pretty much why all basic features that should be standards in "2014" are taking quite longer than other devices in the same field. I think no answer is going to convince you that it's going to be a good wait.

No one has given a valid reason the PS4 is missing so many basic features. All I've seen is people giving excuses for this massive company not being capable of doing stuff much smaller companies do all the time.

I can also tell you that people being quiet and cheerleading Sony isn't going to help matters one bit, as you seem to be suggesting. When people get loud and tell them this is unacceptable it can only help to push them to do better.

The gaming media has let them off the hook to a ridiculous degree so far. At launch last November both of the new consoles were lacking a whole bunch of features, and it was talked about. But now one of those consoles has added almost every feature that was needed, and then some, while the other has only managed to make a tiny dent in that long list. This is noteworthy and it should be discussed more, but too many people, including the media, love to cheer for the guy who's in first place.

Yeah they made gaming a priority and since launch we've gotten tons of digital games that aren't on other consoles so please stop it with your crusade to propagate the myth that the Xbox OS is so amazing and better than its competition when it has huge usability concerns.

Not to mention, the xbone OS is easier to update as it likely shares a lot of code base with Windows 8, which is kind of one of (if not the) biggest OSes in terms of user base. I'm sure if Sony had something like that, the update would be quicker!

Dragon

Banned
Not to mention, the xbone OS is easier to update as it likely shares a lot of code base with Windows 8, which is kind of one of (if not the) biggest OSes in terms of user base. I'm sure if Sony had something like that, the update would be quicker!

It'd really be like me going into every Steam related thread and whining that I can't change my password on their website (which is fucking insanely stupid) and have to go through the actual application. I said it once, people agreed, hey it's stupid, and they moved on. Repeating yourself ad nauseum actually detracts from what did change in these firmware releases and it's really annoying.

I mean I watch movies vía Netflix and amazon prime app are people not considering those options?

The amount of people who use DLNA is small, however for these people, what you're advertising is not suitable.

icespide

Banned
I mean I watch movies vía Netflix and amazon prime app are people not considering those options?

there are plenty of people who want DLNA so they can watch legitimate legal fair use content from their collection

there's also a lot of people that just want to watch their pirated movies and tv shows

Still no pause download option?

i4Htz0e.gif

Just finished watching Jurassic Park 3D. No issues here, worked like a charm! It wasn't mindblowingly awesome or anything but it creates a pretty darn good extra level of immersion. I'm definitely gonna pick up a 3D versions when I buy movies from now on.

orochi91

No one has given a valid reason the PS4 is missing so many basic features. All I've seen is people giving excuses for this massive company not being capable of doing stuff much smaller companies do all the time.

No one can give a valid reason because it simply doesn't exist.

Japanese programmers seem to be lacking in competence with regards to software support,
ESPECIALLY those at Sony, as evidenced by the shit support they provide for their
other consumer electronics (phones, tablets). Not even sure why this is the case.

MS is a shining example of how you should handle updates. They are frequent and
the beta process is a fantastic idea. With the PS4 firing on almost all cylinders the way it has,
it blows my mind that Sony is still this inept at updating the OS on their console.

androvsky

there are plenty of people who want DLNA so they can watch legitimate legal fair use content from their collection

there's also a lot of people that just want to watch their pirated movies and tv shows
Trust me, if you've got over 700 DVDs and blu-rays, having something like Plex or XBMC to organize and stream your collection is a godsend. Also makes it much easier to quit cable, as it fills in for background noise or casual watching while eating much easier than grabbing a disc. Especially if you've started to put said discs in boxes because the collection is getting unwieldy.

Honestly though, DLNA kinda sucks after you've gotten used to using Plex, so I might just get another device for $35 anyway. The thing is, that defeats Sony's purpose as it takes my attention away from their ecosystem. Doesn't matter if people's media are from legit sources or not, they shouldn't be encouraging people to pick up a Chromecast.

icespide

Banned
Trust me, if you've got over 700 DVDs and blu-rays, having something like Plex or XBMC to organize and stream your collection is a godsend. Also makes it much easier to quit cable, as it fills in for background noise or casual watching while eating much easier than grabbing a disc. Especially if you've started to put said discs in boxes because the collection is getting unwieldy.

Honestly though, DLNA kinda sucks after you've gotten used to using Plex, so I might just get another device for $35 anyway. The thing is, that defeats Sony's purpose as it takes my attention away from their ecosystem. Doesn't matter if people's media are from legit sources or not, they shouldn't be encouraging people to pick up a Chromecast.

Sony obviously isn't after the "media hub" angle with the PS4 so I don't think they care if you buy a chromecast honestly. Unless you explicitly decided to buy a chromecast INSTEAD of a PS4, which is an odd thing to do if you want to play videogames.

We were always at war with Eurasia.

Second time I heard that in 2 days... where did I hear it before? (Outside of 1984).

By the way, I'm pretty frustrated by the incredibly bugged messaging system. Messages fail to load, load slowly, don't show up properly... I dont know if it's because I alternate between PS3 and PS4, but they need to fix the bugs. So many bugs..

yeah the Library needs to be the first option always on the left and it needs to be a real library. Scrolling over so much to get to something is fucking stupid.

also the Demo units for PS4 at Target and Gamestop have a sweet menu with disk cases that scroll across with a slight rounded effect.

its really great.

why isnt anything like this on the OS

androvsky

Sony obviously isn't after the "media hub" angle with the PS4 so I don't think they care if you buy a chromecast honestly. Unless you explicitly decided to buy a chromecast INSTEAD of a PS4, which is an odd thing to do if you want to play videogames.
I dunno, the PS4 launched with a lot of media apps and capabilities, just not this one. It's pretty clear Sony is going after the media service angle with the PS4, all the way to making sure their music subscription service was ready at launch. They're trying to push media services, so people giving up and buying an option with more non-Sony and non-subscription options is self-defeating. Don't forget Powers as a way to get people to use the crappy PSN video store.

It'd really be like me going into every Steam related thread and whining that I can't change my password on their website (which is fucking insanely stupid) and have to go through the actual application. I said it once, people agreed, hey it's stupid, and they moved on. Repeating yourself ad nauseum actually detracts from what did change in these firmware releases and it's really annoying.

That won't stop BruiserBear though.

Its a shame that they didn't have a lot of these features when the box came out. They were concentrating on making a great gaming machine, and for the most part they have imo. However where they have dropped the ball to me is the communication post launch. It would be nice to know some type of rough ETA, even if it is far out.

icespide

Banned
I dunno, the PS4 launched with a lot of media apps and capabilities, just not this one. It's pretty clear Sony is going after the media service angle with the PS4, all the way to making sure their music subscription service was ready at launch. They're trying to push media services, so people giving up and buying an option with more non-Sony and non-subscription options is self-defeating. Don't forget Powers as a way to get people to use the crappy PSN video store.

they want to sell their media services sure, you can't blame them for that, but it's pretty obvious they don't intend this thing to be a competitor to something like a chromecast

Blanquito

I can also tell you that people being quiet and cheerleading Sony isn't going to help matters one bit, as you seem to be suggesting. When people get loud and tell them this is unacceptable it can only help to push them to do better.

The gaming media has let them off the hook to a ridiculous degree so far. At launch last November both of the new consoles were lacking a whole bunch of features, and it was talked about. But now one of those consoles has added almost every feature that was needed, and then some, while the other has only managed to make a tiny dent in that long list. This is noteworthy and it should be discussed more, but too many people, including the media, love to cheer for the guy who's in first place.

Eh, normally I don't get involved with firmware arguments because there is so much that isn't known about the PS4 firmware setup, but...

1) Which other companies, smaller than Sony, are pushing out firmware updates to over 9 million devices?

2) Of those companies, how many have to worry about ensuring that their updates don't break software? (for example, custom Android skins such as what Samsung, HTC, etc do on their phones don't affect the apps that run on the phones in any way, so it wouldn't be comparing apples to apples to the PS4 firmware which does have to worry about this compatibility)

Also, as has been explained before, both the XB1 and PS4 went to completely new architectures this gen, and thus couldn't really port any of their past updates to these new consoles.

What would you rather of had them do, then? Delay their gaming consoles until holiday of 2014, when all of the media features would be ready? Or have them release holiday 2013 with gaming features mostly complete and add in media features as they finish them? Please remember, too, that MS and Sony make money from software sales, not hardware sales, so that delay to 2014 would mean quite a bit lost this year from all the games that were ready to be shipped but couldn't be played on unreleased hardware.

With that said, I still agree that Sony has been slow about updates and poor with communication about updates and that there is room for improvement.

icespide

Banned
Eh, normally I don't get involved with firmware arguments because there is so much that isn't known about the PS4 firmware setup, but...

1) Which other companies, smaller than Sony, are pushing out firmware updates to over 9 million devices?

2) Of those companies, how many have to worry about ensuring that their updates don't break software? (for example, custom Android skins such as what Samsung, HTC, etc do on their phones don't affect the apps that run on the phones in any way, so it wouldn't be comparing apples to apples to the PS4 firmware which does have to worry about this compatibility)

Also, as has been explained before, both the XB1 and PS4 went to completely new architectures this gen, and thus couldn't really port any of their past updates to these new consoles.

What would you rather of had them do, then? Delay their gaming consoles until holiday of 2014, when all of the media features would be ready? Or have them release holiday 2013 with gaming features mostly complete and add in media features as they finish them? Please remember, too, that MS and Sony make money from software sales, not hardware sales, so that delay to 2014 would mean quite a bit lost this year from all the games that were ready to be shipped but couldn't be played on unreleased hardware.

With that said, I still agree that Sony has been slow about updates and poor with communication about updates and that there is room for improvement.

Don't bother trying to engage with BruiserBear in firmware threads

ph00p

Banned
Isn't the PS4 a bad Bluray player for other issues like the pulldowns or something? Also is the LPCM bad bass management a real thing or just perceived?

I can't believe this topic has already 3 pages and I'm the first to ask if the Share Video bug was fixed.

Those affected probably lost hope already... one more firmware, heaps of awesome moments lost.

At least now I can watch movies 3D on the console, who cares for game videos anyway...

Yep for the last couple of updates I still hoped for a fix, but I guess nah.

tfur

Is there a Digital Foundry comparing PS4 vs Xb1 3D bluray functionality? Or any other comparisons.

Anybody actually use it yet to give some thoughts?

Kssio_Aug

Ok I got a PS4 today, and installed FW 1.75.

Now that I have the system, I understand the pain that the inability to pause downloads is causing to players...I mistakenly launched a lot of downloads at the same time and it hinders the downloads that really matter :( (I could delete the downloads and do them one at a time mind you, but it's still regrettable. The PS3 has it, so why not the PS4 o_O

However, integration of PSN(SEN) in the OS? God that's a good idea, it finally loads without waiting o/

Id expect the option to pause a download not even because it was on PS3. But because it may be on every single system and its a old and super basic feature! I cant understand how they were able to place a download option on PS4 but didnt care with a option to pause!!

orochi91

This is actually a fair point. I hadn't considered that.

PSGames

Is there a Digital Foundry comparing PS4 vs Xb1 3D bluray functionality? Or any other comparisons.

Anybody actually use it yet to give some thoughts?

I tried Avatar and Cirque Du Soleil and both were fine. XB1 hasn't released their 3D Blu-Ray update yet.

Kudos to Sony for beating MS to the punch.

I tried Avatar and Cirque Du Soleil and both were fine. XB1 hasn't released their 3D Blu-Ray update yet.

Kudos to Sony for beating MS to the punch.
Someone at MS must have been the smuggest dude all the way up until Sony announced they're also bringing it. Earlier. Lol.

Top Bottom