• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.75 update out

Kyoufu

So [Featured Content] downloading automatically implies PS+ games right?

Or is it just random stuff on the Store that they want to shove in your face?

It's really depressing that this is the first update to add new features in months, and the highlight is 3D Bluray, a feature about 2% of the userbase cares about. At this pace we can all look forward to friend notifications and download pausing as *big* 2015 feature additions. :/

kmg90

It's really depressing that this is the first update to add new features in months, and the highlight is 3D Bluray, a feature about 2% of the userbase cares about. At this pace we can all look forward to friend notifications and download pausing as *big* 2015 feature additions. :/

To be fair some things have been added to the system for developers over the past few "stahbility updates", like delta patching which significantly reduces patch download sizes.

Vashetti

Banned
To be fair some things have been added to the system for developers over the past few "stahbility updates", like delta patching which significantly reduces patch download sizes.

Certain devs still aren't using that though.

Killzone and Battlefield patches are 2GB+ a time.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Yes, I bet this is all the team was working on for months. Yep.

And 2% of 9 million is still going to make it a fantastic update for about 180000 people.
This update was announced and released in the span of what, 10 days? Just an added bonus for the people that needed the feature, nothing else. The rest of the updates haven't been scrapped.

I think boot from stand by is very fast when console are downloading things.

Thants because the PS4 basically has no real standby like the Xbox One.

There is

1) Console shuts off and leaves the network check intact = "standby-mode". There it needs the exact boot time as from a cold boot.
2) When it downloads something it boots up completely and just does not display anything. "Standby-Download"

So from 2) it just have to switch on HDMI and you have the fully booted console.

Thank you, good to know. And I thought we're one step closer to suspend/resume. :/

SerTapTap

Huh, automatic downloads of "featured content" eh? Wonder if that means things like free PS+ games.

I also like how the notification has moved from the right to the left. Crucial stuff there!

Demos and betas maybe. Ps+ no way, they want you in the store so you see other stuff on sale too.

What are the best 3D movies out there?

One of the best 3D stereoscopic games for me is Batman Arkham City, really looks amazing in 3D on PS3.

Avengers Assemble was fairly impressive IMO, that and Pacific Rim obvs. Most 3D animation flicks are fairly impressive (with audio to match).

Watched Space Pirate Captain Harlock the other night and that was rather good too ... wonderful world / animation

EDIT: Oh and Dredd .. can't forget Judge Dredd in 3D ... outstanding!

Can't believe they barely beat MS to the punch with this. I picked up my Media Remote for the Xbox One all ready to try out some 3D movies and now Sony sneaks in there with the 3D.

I think I'll stick to using the Xbone thanks to that Media Remote. Seriously, Sony needs to release something similar.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Why would you release this on the same night you drop the 50gb TLoU DL that you didn't let us preload?

It's annoying.

Guymelef

An example.
http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/popular/page/1/
3D: +3873
DLNA: +676

But I'm not surprise every firmware thread is the same...
People complain about features they don't want...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's always worked properly for me, I think mine's set to ten minutes. Can be annoying sometimes if you want to quickly pause a movie, but at least that update removed the need to select the user every time you resync.

Are you leaving it on a hard surface when it's idling? I've heard leaving it on a soft surface can make the controller think it's still in use, but other than that no idea.

tried your TV remote for pausing? Mine is a sony TV but most TVs that support HDMI-CEC and have transport controls should work?

Yes, I bet this is all the team was working on for months. Yep.

And 2% of 9 million is still going to make it a fantastic update for about 180000 people.
This update was announced and released in the span of what, 10 days? Just an added bonus for the people that needed the feature, nothing else. The rest of the updates haven't been scrapped.

Where did I suggest other updates were scrapped? My point was this is all we got 3 months after the last feature update. The pace they've shown so far with PS4 updates has been pitiful. There is no reason to expect this is going to drastically change anytime soon. We all know there are basic features missing from this OS right now. Features the PS3 launched with in 2006, and people said that was a bare bones OS at the time....

An example.
http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/popular/page/1/
3D: +3873
DLNA: +676

But I'm not surprise every firmware thread is the same...
People complain about features they don't want...

Please explain to me why this is relevant.

Avengers Assemble was fairly impressive IMO, that and Pacific Rim obvs. Most 3D animation flicks are fairly impressive (with audio to match).

Watched Space Pirate Captain Harlock the other night and that was rather good too ... wonderful world / animation

Disney/Pixar cartoons have amazing 3D, Good luck getting them for cheap though as they tend to have the most expensive blurays out there. As for movies, I recommend Gravity, Tron Legacy, Dredd 3D, Prometheus 3D, The Avengers, Pina, Life of pi.etc just to name a few, The Lego movie looks fantastic as well in 3D.

Edit: Metallica Through The Never has fantastic 3D as well if you're into the band and or concert movies.

For a movie that was converted to 3D in post, Avengers is surprisingly impressive. Can't way the same about Iron Man 3.

GAMB0

Neo Member
I just love getting a device that doesn't do any of the things you want it to do, until a year after you buy it!!

Fucking Ace Sony and MS

icespide

Banned
I just love getting a device that doesn't do any of the things you want it to, until a year after you buy it!!

Fucking Ace Sony and MS

if it's so important to you why wouldn't you wait to buy it until it had all the features you want?

GAMB0

Neo Member
if it's so important to you why wouldn't you wait to buy it until it had all the features you want?

Its not a big thing to ask for, please Sony, when you make a new console can it start with all the things the old one had!!!

Dont see why its so hard..

Sick of plugging my fucking ps3 back in to stream movies??

BibiMaghoo

People were bitching and moaning when they discovered the PS4 didn't support 3D Blu-Ray yet. And now it's suddenly a throwaway feature nobody needs or wants.

Can't please them all, I guess.

I was annoyed only because I spent a considerably amount of money on a 3D set. However, I still have my PS3, so it wasn't a major problem for me, but for those without, I can see them being pretty pissed. Irony with me is I hardly ever use it for movies, and got it for the 3D for games...

and there is currently like, one game that uses it lol.
I'm happy I can actually watch movies now though.

garyBig

I, for one, have been looking forward to this since launch. Thanks Sony! Even if you just HAD to wait until Microsoft announces their update, you buggers.

Vashetti

Banned
I just love getting a device that doesn't do any of the things you want it to do, until a year after you buy it!!

Fucking Ace Sony and MS

You bought a games console, that plays games. Any other media feature is a bonus.

If you want a dedicated media device, buy some little box to go under the TV for much cheaper than a PS4/XB1.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm still confused that they took the time to implement this. Did anyone request this feature?

So Sony are now resigned to literally just sit there and only implement things we ask for? Their players have always had 1.5x video playback, and it sounds like they weren't happy with the quality so they improved it. They were updating the bluray software anyway so it makes sense to cross off a few bugs/feature improvements.

Vashetti

Banned
So Sony are now resigned to literally just sit there and only implement things we ask for? Their players have always had 1.5x video playback, and it sounds like they weren't happy with the quality so they improved it. They were updating the bluray software anyway so it makes sense to cross off a few bugs/feature improvements.

I just never realised people watched their films in 1.5 speed, or cared about the quality of the audio as they were fast-forwarding through.

I suppose you're right though, they were updating the Blu-ray software, may as well improve where they can.

On Demand

Banned

I was wondering if it meant they improved it by 1.5x because who the hell cares about SQ when you're fast forwarding?

Top Bottom