• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.75 update out

GAMB0

Neo Member
You bought a games console, that plays games. Any other media feature is a bonus.

If you want a dedicated media device, buy some little box to go under the TV for much cheaper than a PS4/XB1.

The PS3 had lots of features and you get used to that, Just saying, it makes sense that the PS4 does all the things the PS3 did?

Nothing does just one thing anymore, not since the PS2 era.

Vashetti

Banned
Any hidden features yet?

The PS3 had lots of features and you get used to that, Just saying, it makes sense that the PS4 does all the things the PS3 did?

Nothing does just one thing anymore, not since the PS2 era.

They can't just port over the PS3 OS software. It was fine-tuned to take advantage of the PS3's unique architecture and the PS4 architecture is completely different.

They had to essentially start over from scratch. Going forward, the PS5 should be very feature rich at launch, as we can assume it's going to essentially be a super-duper PS4, hardware wise.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just never realised people watched their films in 1.5 speed, or cared about the quality of the audio as they were fast-forwarding through.

I suppose you're right though, they were updating the Blu-ray software, may as well improve where they can.

It is a weird feature, I'm not really sure who uses it? Maybe you're skimming a making-of?

GAMB0

Neo Member
Any hidden features yet?

They can't just port over the PS3 OS software. It was fine-tuned to take advantage of the PS3's unique architecture and the PS4 architecture is completely different.

They had to essentially start over from scratch. Going forward, the PS5 should be very feature rich at launch, as we can assume it's going to essentially be a super-duper PS4, hardware wise.

I didn't say you could port it from the PS3??

I just think its taking a long time to get simple features!! Thats all

And i bet the PS5 starts with fuck all again!!

renitou

Two firmware updates since I purchased my PS4 earlier this month - keep 'em coming! Very much ready and looking forward to pausing my downloads or loading videos from USB some day.

Guess I'm not playing TLOUR today.

Ugh Sony why in the hell would you pick today?
Lol fucking seriously I was gonna download it at 12 am and then I was all "naaaaah I can do it in the morning" well here's my reward. 1.5x speed audio awwww yiss.

Also has someone confirmed exactly what they mean by featured downloads? I hope it only means downloading free ps plus games and maybe games you have pre ordered. If so I'll turn it on.

Vashetti

Banned
Also has someone confirmed exactly what they mean by featured downloads? I hope it only means downloading free ps plus games and maybe games you have pre ordered. If so I'll turn it on.

It won't include the Plus games.

I and several others think Sony relies on a certain number of people not even claiming and downloading the games they're entitled to, as we have theorised they pay the publishers based on the amount of times it was downloaded.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Has anyone tried it out yet? The PS3 had an issue where 3D Blu Rays would not output in Dolby True HD, and would only play with crappy old Dolby Digital (DTS HD was fine).

3D films that used True HD were not very common, but there was some high profile films were this was a big problem (Transformers 3 and Star Trek Into Darkness to name two)

Btw anyone looking for a good 3D blu ray needs to check out Pacific Rim in 3D, it's incredible.

Please stop making excuses for a multi billion dollar corporation. They could have made the OS a priority, but clearly they haven't.

And why on earth would it make sense to bring up the PS5 in this discussion? lol That's a defense strategy I haven't seen used before. We know the PS4 OS is lacking all sorts of things, but hey, the PS5 is gonna be AMAZING in 2020!

secondhandshake.gif

How's the new one?

Absolutely awesome, Sharp it is the only TV Manufacturer on the Market that is capable of displaying a fourth color, it displays not only the RGB Colorrange but also Yellow. Because of that the IQ is way more vivid than with my old TV Set.
Another cool feature is, that one pixel on that Sharp consists of two "subpixels" and as a result, it can display a 4K compatible Image with an effective resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels. Sounds much like marketing gibberish, but I can tell you that it creates really an astonishing Image on the screen.

Sharp Quattron+ Advertisement

Disney/Pixar cartoons have amazing 3D, Good luck getting them for cheap though as they tend to have the most expensive blurays out there. As for movies, I recommend Gravity, Tron Legacy, Dredd 3D, Prometheus 3D, The Avengers, Pina, Life of pi.etc just to name a few, The Lego movie looks fantastic as well in 3D.

Edit: Metallica Through The Never has fantastic 3D as well if you're into the band and or concert movies.

Yeah, the Metallica BD has really outstanding 3D Effects.

Kssio_Aug

Oh, thank god they fixed the sound at 1.5x playback. Sometimes I watch movies on a rush before go to work and this will for sure help me a lot!!

It is a weird feature, I'm not really sure who uses it? Maybe you're skimming a making-of?

Some people watch whole films like that to save time. Until I saw some people discussing it on slashdot I didn't know there was such a thing. They'd be better off removing the soundtrack altogether and replacing it with the Benny Hill theme.

It won't include the Plus games.

I and several others think Sony relies on a certain number of people not even claiming and downloading the games they're entitled to, as we have theorised they pay the publishers based on the amount of times it was downloaded.
If not at the very least pre ordered games being downloaded automatically then I'm keeping that off. Because all that would be left is the steam system of giving me free demo downloads or offering me to play a game for a weekend or something.

On Demand

Banned
Absolutely awesome, Sharp it is the only TV Manufacturer on the Market that is capable of displaying a fourth color, it displays not only the RGB Colorrange but also Yellow. Because of that the IQ is way more vivid than with my old TV Set.
Another cool feature is, that one pixel on that Sharp consists of two "subpixels" and as a result, it can display a 4K compatible Image with an effective resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels. Sounds much like marketing gibberish, but I can tell you that it creates really an astonishing Image on the screen.

Sharp Quattron+ Advertisement

That yellow pixel doesn't really do anything for PQ. The HD standard and bluray uses Rec 709. That yellow pixel just causes problems when calibrating the TV. Many calibrators complained about this with the Sharp Elite

That's what I love about the kuro. No tricks, just pure picture quality. Pioneer made that TV in 2008 and it's still reference.

driver116

Please stop making excuses for a multi billion dollar corporation. They could have made the OS a priority, but clearly they haven't.

And why on earth would it make sense to bring up the PS5 in this discussion? lol That's a defense strategy I haven't seen used before. We know the PS4 OS is lacking all sorts of things, but hey, the PS5 is gonna be AMAZING in 2020!

The PS3 was envisioned to be a media hub from the get go,whereas the PS4 is a games first. With that being said, we're 8 months in and I think things like Suspend/resume, media playback and and fricking pause downloads button should be here by now. And I remember that quote from Yosp where he said something like "oh we didn't realise people wanted media features". What was all that about.

Again... Why should they?

I generally want to know people's beef about features that really really don't cripple the system any further than doing its basic function.

rjcc

I used it on my PS3 once to finish Hot Tub Time Machine so I could get it back to Redbox w/o being charged an extra day, and iirc a couple times when I was bingeing through boxed sets of TV shows. It's not super useful, but it's nice to have.

Why do we care about OS? The less resource heavy the better. All I need from the OS is to get to where I need to get in an easy, if at least a bit sexy fashion.

Sony needs to improve the os imho but not in anything major. Stuff like letting me have folders so I can organize games and other shit like I do in steam. Or letting me reorganize list order.

liquidtmd

Banned
Again... Why should they?

I generally want to know people's beef about features that really really don't cripple the system any further than doing its basic function.

Because for half the features we're waiting on now, Sony either proactively promised them or are now being continually being coy or non committal to them.

If Sony said "They're flat out not coming" or "They're coming but they're at least three months / three years" out that would be fine. Sure they want room to be flexible and throw suprises in there, but a rough roadmap isn't too much to ask for features they promised more than a year ago now.

Yoday

The most urgent Update in my opinion should be, that they implement folders where you can put your games in.
Folders would be the most lazy way of addressing the sorting problem, and I really hope Sony aren't taking people literally when they say they want folders.

Folders would be the most lazy way of addressing the sorting problem, and I really hope Sony aren't taking people literally when they say they want folders.
I want folders. Or at the very least not have a horizontal list. I'd rather do something similar to ps3 with drop down. Or something where the "game" section is on the left and it drops down. Having to go all the way to the right for anything sucks hairy ass.

icespide

Banned
I think I'm in the minority in that I actually really like the long horizontal scrolling list and don't want folders.

Stuff I've used recently is always on the left which makes sense, and something I haven't used in awhile takes a little extra effort to initially find, kind of like grabbing an old game from my shelf.

I like not having to think about it.

I think I'm in the minority in that I actually really like the long horizontal scrolling list and don't want folders.

Stuff I've used recently is always on the left which makes sense, and something I haven't used in awhile takes a little extra effort to initially find, kind of like grabbing an old game from my shelf.

It's fine now but when I have hundreds of games it's going to be a nightmare.

mattp

the horizontal list is great

the problem is, they need to move "library" to the very first position and have the library actually be usable and sortable

icespide

Banned
It's fine now but when I have hundreds of games it's going to be a nightmare.

I suppose so, I guess I usually delete stuff I just finished and don't plan on replaying soon, so I figure my list won't ever get to the hundreds

the horizontal list is great

the problem is, they need to move "library" to the very first position and have the library actually be usable and sortable

yeah moving library to the left would be a good idea

I want folders. Or at the very least not have a horizontal list. I'd rather do something similar to ps3 with drop down. Or something where the "game" section is on the left and it drops down. Having to go all the way to the right for anything sucks hairy ass.

I want my XMB back, it was the perfect way to navigate through your content

Van Owen

Banned
I noticed one of the previous updates changed the behavior of hitting the home button during playback. It just to tell it it would quit playback or something, and now it just goes to the home menu like it would during a game. Nice.

Can't see Facebook avatars anymore. Neither my own nor those of my friends.

Anyone?

That started for me before this 1.75 update. Pretty sure sometime after I downloaded 1.74 is when mine disappeared. I even went into the picture and tried to reapply it to facebook photo and it still won't show.

icespide

Banned
Oh lol meant to group quote. Meant it as "so it seems like this would be the minimum to please people on both camps".

that seems like a pretty simple low effort thing to do that would appease people.

however, I think Sony needs to decide what they mean by "Library" because there's a lot of confusion around it. I see it as a slightly shitty version of the "Download List" from PS3 so I don't rely on it as much while other people see it as a repository of all their games, which it kind of is but its bad at.

Because for half the features we're waiting on now, Sony either proactively promised them or are now being continually being coy or non committal to them.

If Sony said "They're flat out not coming" or "They're coming but they're at least three months / three years" out that would be fine. Sure they want room to be flexible and throw suprises in there, but a rough roadmap isn't too much to ask for features they promised more than a year ago now.

Did they? The only one I remember them ever promising has been suspend and resume. Others are natural features that will come eventually that obviously need licenses and certification to apply. Didn't Jeff Rigby already semi-explain these processes?

Pausing downloads, ok
Game library organization, ok
Suspend Resume, ok

MP3
DLNA
etc....

Obviously.. These are going to take more time. The constant complaining about how quick they aren't being added it at this point become a broken record as we now get it. Communication is my biggest issue with Sony regarding firmware updates, but none of what is being requested has crippled my system from not playing games.

lol

If you even need to ask such a question, no answer is going to convince you otherwise.

Idk, I choice not to come into every Sony firmware update thread to complain about the same stuff. There is no defense for it, but if some people can take a little bit of a step back and see the reasons for such delays, I'm really not sure why you can't. I think it has been explained plenty why Sony OS isn't their first priority, why it's Microsoft and pretty much why all basic features that should be standards in "2014" are taking quite longer than other devices in the same field. I think no answer is going to convince you that it's going to be a good wait.

mattp

that seems like a pretty simple low effort thing to do that would appease people.

however, I think Sony needs to decide what they mean by "Library" because there's a lot of confusion around it. I see it as a slightly shitty version of the "Download List" from PS3 so I don't rely on it as much while other people see it as a repository of all their games, which it kind of is but its bad at.

yeah, the current library is not what needs to be there
they need to implement what im assuming most people think of as a "library"

it should be all your installed games/apps/whatever in categories. all sortable and filterable
and then include a filter option to show ALL things you own, whether it's installed or not. so you can easily re-download things

and yup, stick it exactly where "what's new" is now

bam. ps4 interface fixed

Top Bottom