• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.75 update out

Nocturno999

No stability patch?
Happy-Clapping-To-Dramatic-WTF-Reaction-GIf.gif

Someone test if we can pause/resume downloads!

Do people really want to go back to micromanaging downloads? I don't do that with updates on my PC, why would I want to do it on a console. Surely a few configuration options around the automatic downloads would be better.

I can think of a few configuration options that would be useful:
1) priority for game downloads or updates
2) maximum number of concurrent downloads
3) update between hours of X and Y (for those who have unlimited access only at certain times)

What would the use case be for pausing/resuming that couldn't be done with better automation?

I rarely notice downloads anyway, as they're generally done when the machine is asleep, and when I switch it on they're already installed. Starting downloads remotely seems to work really well as well.

driver116

Do people really want to go back to micromanaging downloads? I don't do that with updates on my PC, why would I want to do it on a console. Surely a few configuration options around the automatic downloads would be better.

3) update between hours of X and Y (for those who have unlimited access only at certain times)

What would the use case be for pausing/resuming that couldn't be done with better automation?

I rarely notice downloads anyway, as they're generally done when the machine is asleep, and when I switch it on they're already installed. Starting downloads remotely seems to work really well as well.

What about when you have 2 games on your download list and want one to download first not both at the same time?

murgo

I have to disagree in this point. I am from gemany too and know a lot of people which at least watch blue rays and also 3d blue rays. And i bought a 3d tv one year ago, where tvs with similar quality and without 3d were not really cheaper. of course there are cheaper tvs, but according to tests and user experiences, these also had a lot lower 2d picture quality. so i think 3d is a basic feature now for tvs with good quality.
And i also find 3d way better at home than in cinemas. I sit in the absolute right position for 3d, have shutter technique and can configure the sound like i wish.

But of course this is only my opinion.

It all comes down to the POV. Most people I know still watch DVDs on small ass TVs.
When I bought my Sharp Aquos LC-60LE635E last year it was a couple of hundred (900€ vs 1400€) cheaper than its successor with 3D. Still an excellent TV with great picture and no input lag. And it's big :)

Vashetti

Banned

More options never hurt anyone.

If I haven't been on my PS4 for a week, I can sometimes turn it on and see a Killzone patch, a Battlefield patch and maybe something else too. As it stands now, I have no way to pause one and let the other patch download faster.

The only current method is to delete the patch, which IMO is not a feasible solution.

What happens if I'm playing online in Battlefield and suddenly a new patch starts downloading for another game and starts lagging my game? I can't pause the patch and carry on with my game, I have to delete the patch and wait for it to pop up at another inconvenient time.

The pause/resume detractors are becoming frustrating: "why would you want to PAUSE a download?!" Because I'm not blessed with super-fast internet and don't want three patches throttling each other while they all crawl to completion.

Thanks Grammar Nazi. Or what is your point?

Why would you not want to be right? Call it by it's proper name.

no, because it came with quite a lot of features ootb, didn't it?
even less, later, because it broke CFW compatibility and removed features like OtherOS.

right now, the only way to go, feature wise, is up!

Nah, Sony had to play a huge game of catch-up with their firmware, and it was far more sporadic than this.

Hydrargyrus

"sound quality improvement for 1.5x playback..."

What????

Meanwhile, the audio through the optical output is a f**king disaster: the audio still comes from the TV (there's no way to disable it), the center channel doesn't work...

StaSeb

What????

Meanwhile, the audio through the optical output is a f**king disaster: the audio still comes from the TV (there's no way to disable it), the center channel doesn't work...

There was a workaround for that, iirc. Try setting up the controller-audio-output to "game". Does that maybe fix the issue?

Featured content is getting turned off as soon as I get home, and that shit isn't being turned on again until they give me the ability to delete demos and Betas from the library.
It's off by default.

I'm more curious as to what this featured content is. Could be PS+ games, or is this the recommendations thing they talked about way back in February 2013 where it automatically downloads stuff it thinks you'll like?

Vashetti

Banned
Haven't got the chance to update yet as I'm not home, but has anyone's DS4 not been turning off after 10, 20, 30 mins or whatever you have it set to?

I have it set to 10 mins and it always takes longer than that.

When watching Blu-rays it never shuts off at all and I have to do it manually if I remember to. Really frustrating.

Hoo-doo

Banned
People were bitching and moaning when they discovered the PS4 didn't support 3D Blu-Ray yet. And now it's suddenly a throwaway feature nobody needs or wants.

Can't please them all, I guess.

Caayn

Why wouldn't you want to download them in parallel? It's much more efficient that way. Certainly quicker than doing them serially.
Untrue. Downloading them parallel means that you'll need to wait longer before you can use the download that you're waiting on. Simply because the other download is sucking up bandwidth that would've gone to the other download.

For example I want to play BF4 but need to download a 1GB patch first, but Killzone also a 1GB patch that gets downloaded at the same time. Let's say that I can download 1GB in 10 minutes. It would take 20 minutes before I can play BF4, as both are downloaded at the same time. Now if I could pause the Killzone download it means that I can play BF4 in 10 minutes.

Anyway, as Vashetti has said options has never hurt. And simple download managed options (such as pausing and (automatic) prioritizing) should be mandatory, imo.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Why wouldn't you want to download them in parallel? It's much more efficient that way. Certainly quicker than doing them serially.

Absolutely not. You should be able to prioritize downloads.

When I was downloading the Destiny Beta, I was bummed the fuck out that I was downloading something else. The end result is both downloads going slow as molasses.

Murdoch

Haven't got the chance to update yet as I'm not home, but has anyone's DS4 not been turning off after 10, 20, 30 mins or whatever you have it set to?

When watching Blu-rays it never shuts off at all and I have to do it manually if I remember to. Really frustrating.

Me too. This was the biggest killer of my DS4 and really frustrating after watching a film with the Mrs only to have next to no battery left for gaming purposes! After this the PS3 became the dedicated netflix machine as the DS3 turns itself off properly.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Me too. This was the biggest killer of my DS4 and really frustrating after watching a film with the Mrs only to have next to no battery left for gaming purposes! After this the PS3 became the dedicated netflix machine as the DS3 turns itself off properly.

There's a checkmark to disable the turn-off for when watching movie content, I believe.

That might just be the entire console though, i'm not sure.

It's always worked properly for me, I think mine's set to ten minutes. Can be annoying sometimes if you want to quickly pause a movie, but at least that update removed the need to select the user every time you resync.

Are you leaving it on a hard surface when it's idling? I've heard leaving it on a soft surface can make the controller think it's still in use, but other than that no idea.

Murdoch

There's a checkmark to disable the turn-off for when watching movie content, I believe.

Yeah I know; it doesn't work under certain conditions however. Netflix for me, being the main culprit.

mike4001_

Regarding Pause downloads:

The funny thing is if you have more than 5 downloads at a time the PS4 only downloads 5. If you press a "not started" download it starts it and the last (6th one) gets paused automatically to in total again 5 things download.

So the system is completly capable of pausing the download, they just not let the user do it ... ;-)

Guymelef

What????

Center channel works.
Mute your tv.

Vashetti

Banned

WHERE?

It's always worked properly for me, I think mine's set to ten minutes. Can be annoying sometimes if you want to quickly pause a movie, but at least that update removed the need to select the user every time you resync.

Are you leaving it on a hard surface when it's idling? I've heard leaving it on a soft surface can make the controller think it's still in use, but other than that no idea.

Hmm, you may be onto something there! I usually leave it resting next to me on the bed or couch.

I'll try leaving it on the table in the future.

I can't believe this topic has already 3 pages and I'm the first to ask if the Share Video bug was fixed.

Those affected probably lost hope already... one more firmware, heaps of awesome moments lost.

At least now I can watch movies 3D on the console, who cares for game videos anyway...

Smarty86

DS4 shutdown should work properly. I didnt measure the time, but it felt right.
If you have a Samsung TV, you can also use anynet+ and control the console by the tv remote (supercomfortable for BLU RAY playback ;-) )

TEH-CJ

Banned
Guys can anyone with a home theater set up confirm if the sound quality has improved after the update?

I am not sure if its placebo but the LFE and overall sound has improved.

I have to disagree in this point. I am from gemany too and know a lot of people which at least watch blue rays and also 3d blue rays. And i bought a 3d tv one year ago, where tvs with similar quality and without 3d were not really cheaper. of course there are cheaper tvs, but according to tests and user experiences, these also had a lot lower 2d picture quality. so i think 3d is a basic feature now for tvs with good quality.
And i also find 3d way better at home than in cinemas. I sit in the absolute right position for 3d, have shutter technique and can configure the sound like i wish.

But of course this is only my opinion.

Absolutely agree with you. I know a lot of people who watch their films only on this format, what's the point having a Full HD capable TV Set at home and watch inferior DVDs on it.

And the Discs are called "Blu"ray Discs, no "e" on the Blu because it is not possible to get a copyright on a color!

My PS4 is booting bloody fast now from stand by. It's 5 seconds from pressing the PS button on the controller to the home screen.

Is this just because TLoU is downloading in the background?

It all comes down to the POV. Most people I know still watch DVDs on small ass TVs.
When I bought my Sharp Aquos LC-60LE635E last year it was a couple of hundred (900€ vs 1400€) cheaper than its successor with 3D. Still an excellent TV with great picture and no input lag. And it's big :)

Yeah it is a really great TV Set, used it until April this year, but replaced it with current Model.

Guymelef

My PS4 is booting bloody fast now from stand by. It's 5 seconds from pressing the PS button on the controller to the home screen.

Is this just because TLoU is downloading in the background?

I think boot from stand by is very fast when console are downloading things.

mike4001_

I think boot from stand by is very fast when console are downloading things.

Thants because the PS4 basically has no real standby like the Xbox One.

There is

1) Console shuts off and leaves the network check intact = "standby-mode". There it needs the exact boot time as from a cold boot.
2) When it downloads something it boots up completely and just does not display anything. "Standby-Download"

So from 2) it just have to switch on HDMI and you have the fully booted console.

kmg90

brb watching movies at 1.5 speed to verify if the sound has improved.

#priorities

It's for people with 1.5x more important things to do.

Last night I was watching Blue Velvet on 1.5x speed and thinking: "man, I wish I could understand them better! Fuck pause/resume downloads!"

"WE DEMAND MUCH MORE IN OUR UPDATES THAN STAHBILITY SOONY"!

Sony: *ok*

'Improves sound quality when watching a film at 1.5 speed'

'Moves notices from Right to Left'

Yosp: Trolololololololol

Who does 1.5x fast forward anyways? When I forward a movie in going 256x. FULL BLAST!

Try playing it at 1.5 speed. I hear it sounds great!

Awesome now I'm gonna go watch all my BD dvd's in 1.5x speed. Totally awesome.

Thank you GAF for providing me with more entertainment than the update will itself...

Sony's been pretty weird with their update priorities from day one on PS4.

PS3 was a lot more exciting in it's earlier days...

Finally I can get rid of ps3. Now just want media playback from USB, external HDD support, download manager and youtube upload. I don't care about suspend resume and UI changes.

Top Bottom