• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Games are Interactive Movies (let's hash this low level bait out)

Kagey K

Banned
Gameplay is entirely different. I don't understand how anyone could say they feel the same. I'm sure if they weren't Sony games, people would feel differently.

Reminds when people call Hellblade a movie and a walking simulator, but loved it when it went to the other platform.
The second I played Hellblade I said it felt like a Sony game. They borrowed some of their tricks and it showed.

I still don’t think it’s a good game, and I tried to get through it.

What I’m most concerned about is that Ninja Theroy knows those tricks now and they infect the rest of gaming.

That for me will be the downfall of gaming.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The second I played Hellblade I said it felt like a Sony game. They borrowed some of their tricks and it showed.

I still don’t think it’s a good game, and I tried to get through it.

What I’m most concerned about is that Ninja Theroy knows those tricks now and they infect the rest of gaming.

That for me will be the downfall of gaming.

What you guys call a sony game is what is found in a lot of triple a titles. You guys still haven't explained what makes it a sony game outside of the norm of big budget games.

sol_bad

Gears 5 gameplay

Stealth is worse than Uncharted 4 and the Last of Us.

The majority of the time, you're put in areas to take out enemies.

You're literally just taking cover and taking out enemies.

Now there are areas where you fight enemies that are quick to take down while walking to the next area, but you're still mostly just taking cover and killing enemies.

Somehow you're very limited as to what you can do , but this offers "heavier gameplay" compared to The Last of Us. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

You're walking to "corridors" and the game is linear to the beginning of the game. The open world areas are also very empty.

Wait, the very start of the game, is it forcing you to walk? You can't run? It's being a "walking simulator cinematic game" just like the Sony games?

Yup.

Sony gave up on MP and half their franchises, which basically gimped their genres. Sony even added MP into God of War for extra variety and gameplay last gen. That's why Sony games get labeled "Sad Dad" now. Aside from Angry Aloy, it's a familiar formula.

Sony don't "give up" on their franchises, it's more them trying to create new games and IP. They don't want to stagnate.
How many PS1 exclusives carried to the PS2?
How many PS2 exclusives carried to the PS3?
How many PS3 exclusives carried to the PS4?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
What you guys call a sony game is what is found in a lot of triple a titles. You guys still haven't explained what makes it a sony game outside of the norm of big budget games.
I did above. you chose to either not read it to just flat out ignored it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I did above. you chose to either not read it to just flat out ignored it.
You really didn't. You didn't go into details about the mechanics.

You're saying Spider-Man feels like Uncharted.

Horizon Zero Dawn feels like Days Gone.

Last of Us feels like God of War.

You're saying they borrowed something, which you cannot explain what it is.

And controls are meant for the D Pad?

I'm sure moving in 8 different directions is somehow meant to be played with a D-pad.

What you're saying literally makes no sense.

Still can't explain how they are movies rather than games.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Wait, the very start of the game, is it forcing you to walk? You can't run? It's being a "walking simulator cinematic game" just like the Sony games?

Sony don't "give up" on their franchises, it's more them trying to create new games and IP. They don't want to stagnate.
How many PS1 exclusives carried to the PS2?
How many PS2 exclusives carried to the PS3?
How many PS3 exclusives carried to the PS4?

I was told that walking to different areas in a linear game after cutscenes was a Sony formula. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kagey K

Banned
You really didn't. You didn't go into details about the mechanics.

You're saying Spider-Man feels like Uncharted.

Horizon Zero Dawn feels like Days Gone.

Last of Us feels like God of War.

You're saying they borrowed something, which you cannot explain what it is.

And controls are meant for the D Pad?

I'm sure moving in 8 different directions is somehow meant to be played with a D-pad.

What you're saying literally makes no sense.

Still can't explain how they are movies rather than games.
That wasn’t my point and I’m not here to argue they are movies. I made that clear above, if you don’t like it, sorry tough cookies for you.

Im not going to argue with you or fight with you, because frankly I don’t give a fuck about you and you aren’t worth my time.

I explained how I felt, take it or leave it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
That wasn’t my point and I’m not here to argue they are movies. I made that clear above, if you don’t like it, sorry tough cookies for you.

Im not going to argue with you or fight with you, because frankly I don’t give a fuck about you and you aren’t worth my time.

I explained how I felt, take it or leave it.

You replied to me, that means you told me what I said wasn't true. I've literally seen people from the XB community call Hellblade an interactive movie, but changed completely after it was released on their platform.

If you're going to tell me it's not true (for you at least), then don't say something that is not true when I've seen it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
That wasn't his point. In fact, he started his comment by stating he doesn't think they are interactive movies.

He didn't specifically state that he doesn't think they're movie like, he said he doesn't complain about it. I remember his post from before, and he mention things that made Sony games feel the same.

I remember when I replied to his post when he made this statement several months ago.

Yeah, if was a Sony exclusive it really would have saved them.

It ticks all the right boxes. Famous people, hour long cutscenes and 3rd person over the shoulder view.

Could have been a 90 on Metacritic.

Everyone ignored the game was fun and different otherwise.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

I'm very familiar with is post because I've had discussions with him before. He categorize these games as the same because third person, cutscenes and over the shoulder view.

Klayzer

He didn't specifically state that he doesn't think they're movie like, he said he doesn't complain about it. I remember his post from before, and he mention things that made Sony games feel the same.

I remember when I replied to his post when he made this statement several months ago.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

I'm very familiar with is post because I've had discussions with him before. He categorize these games as the same because third person, cutscenes and over the shoulder view.
I can see this thread is going to go nowhere when its gets personal. My last thoughts on the subject are, it's a laughable claim that all Sony's games "feel the same" just as others try to claim Xbox has only Gears, Halo, and Forza as it's only exclusives. It annoys me when both fanbases uses these low effort takes to agitate each other.

Birdo

Banned
That pretty much describes any game that's not a racing or fighting game.

Yeah. Remember that scene in Super Mario Bros. when Mario sat down with Luigi and they chatted about the state of the Mushroom Kingdom.

But let's not forget that part in Contra 3 when Lance stopped by the grave of his old comrades, before being forced to walk through a lengthy section as he talked to himself about his bisexuality.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I can see this thread is going to go nowhere when its gets personal. My last thoughts on the subject are, it's a laughable claim that all Sony's games "feel the same" just as others try to claim Xbox has only Gears, Halo, and Forza as it's only exclusives. It annoys me when both fanbases uses these low effort takes to agitate each other.

Yeah, there's little reason to discuss this topic any further because people clearly have an agenda.

It's like people who call some fighting game button mashers without even knowing anything about the game at all.

Lunk

Actually, we can't.

More than at any previous point in time I've felt Sony really does just make "movie games" in this generation. Generation Shawn Layden has been all about imposing movie-qualities or focus testing their product marketing to follow suit with The Last of Us. When Shawn Layden recently departed his colleagues called his leadership "Visionary" and remember that E3 where he appeared completely stoic in his entrance after a symphony just played their McDonalds music? He was performatively breathing without irony and being all artsy-fartsy about it.

With him as head of worldwide, in charge of all their studios he's basically the pitch-gatekeeper who pushed the general Sony Image in the direction of "desaturated, closed-up, EMOTIONAL, MOVIE-LIKE" and it has been MUCH worse this generation in total than last generation. We had fewer high-profile releases, and a decline in Japanese made first party titles, and between God of War, Spider-Man and Uncharted/TLOU2 it's been a boring slog of movie-wannabeisms. Spider-Man slavically employs entirely pre-scripted "movie-like sequences" to build its narrative when it could've just made a video-gamey level with convincing environmental art. Instead you get barebones stealth, intrusive banter ad nauseum over combat and long cutscenes. I want a lot of narrative in a game like Spider-Man but man, PlayStation first party titles do no longer play to the strengths of the medium. It's like a book that decides to editorialize itself and describe what is gonna happen rather than immersing you in the event as it happens; it's like a song that puts the final, power-chorus instead of its verse; it's like MacDonalds but for video games.

Keihart

Actually, we can't.

More than at any previous point in time I've felt Sony really does just make "movie games" in this generation. Generation Shawn Layden has been all about imposing movie-qualities or focus testing their product marketing to follow suit with The Last of Us. When Shawn Layden recently departed his colleagues called his leadership "Visionary" and remember that E3 where he appeared completely stoic in his entrance after a symphony just played their McDonalds music? He was performatively breathing without irony and being all artsy-fartsy about it.

With him as head of worldwide, in charge of all their studios he's basically the pitch-gatekeeper who pushed the general Sony Image in the direction of "desaturated, closed-up, EMOTIONAL, MOVIE-LIKE" and it has been MUCH worse this generation in total than last generation. We had fewer high-profile releases, and a decline in Japanese made first party titles, and between God of War, Spider-Man and Uncharted/TLOU2 it's been a boring slog of movie-wannabeisms. Spider-Man slavically employs entirely pre-scripted "movie-like sequences" to build its narrative when it could've just made a video-gamey level with convincing environmental art. Instead you get barebones stealth, intrusive banter ad nauseum over combat and long cutscenes. I want a lot of narrative in a game like Spider-Man but man, PlayStation first party titles do no longer play to the strengths of the medium. It's like a book that decides to editorialize itself and describe what is gonna happen rather than immersing you in the event as it happens; it's like a song that puts the final, power-chorus instead of its verse; it's like MacDonalds but for video games.
Isn't Shuhei Yoshida in charge of all WWS tho? Shuhey is the one overseeing these studios, unless somthing changed that i'm not aware of. Shuhei has been in charge of WWS for a very long time.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Actually, we can't.

I'd argue that improving the stories while keeping good gameplay is what makes some Sony games better than a lot of games

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Where did I say QB is not? That game has tons of cut-scenes. But compared to the avg Sony exclusive movie game, it has more gameplay.

Because Sony's approach to games has changed. During PS3, they had all kinds of games..... shooters, more racers, that fighting game, LBP (Dreams isn't out yet). Now, Sony's exclusives are basically GT, annual baseball games, and SP focused linear games, where the SP games are heavy on cinematics and production values, but low in MP (some have no MP). Many are linear too.

And the games I listed with the pics are the most movie like. Hardly a game. I believe 1886 has as much cut-scenes than actual gameplay. I remember people beating it in 5 hrs and half were cinematics.
Quantum Break has a whole TV show and cutscenes and it is short. I loved the game but it doesn't have more gameplay than most Sony games

Sony defense force at it again. Seriously, grow up! You act like "playstation" is your "religion" and GOD FORBID anyone say ANYTHING against your "religion"... pathetic... get out! get some fresh air! you desperately need it

Having trouble believing people make posts like these in earnest.

Actually, we can't.

Fewer high-profile releases is crap, especially through the same number of years. An open world game, a game with a hub world like a Zelda and a game with the biggest combat environments of the franchise, which the first 3 entries appeared on the prior PS3 with less large sandboxes. Red Dead Redemption 2 is also an open world game with story missions done with cut-scenes, scripts and so forth, so is GTA V, so is the Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid V... every one of the best received open world games of recent years employs such tactics. Nothing you're saying is some sort of Sony exclusive, in fact it's the norm for AAA video games of today.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
But games like Quantum Break are not?

I said exclusives, so you have to explain why they're all like movies.

Quantum break is NOT a movie game, it's a TV game :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Quantum Break is one of my favorite games and it is absolutely a movie/TV game. There is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with Sony movies games, they may not be to my taste, but a lot of other people love them, so what's the big deal? They are what they are.

Shifty

Games take about 3-5 years to develop. Do you think most of that time is spent working on the gameplay mechanics? Sure they may tweak things throughout the development phase, but most of that time is not spent on mechanics on average.

You have to simply look at the scale of the world, the environments and characters. The process creating all those environments doesn't just happen within a few days, they have many people working on it.
The amount of time put into creating a given element of a game is development focus, not the focus of the game itself. Whether a game is gameplay, story, visual or whatever-else-focused is defined by a game's design.

The simplest explanation for people who have played competitive games know that they make aiming harder to not make getting kills easier.
Making it more difficult to get kills is a reiteration of 'they do it to make the game harder'. That doesn't explain why they'd choose that over other elements like more unpredictable enemies, heavier recoil, reticle convergence, or the like.

You're also ignoring the fact that you can make aiming easier through upgrades in single player AND multiplayer.
Because it's not particularly relevant to my point. The system is there in the first place for a reason, being able to peel it back through an upgrade system doesn't change that.

If they wanted to do it for immersion of single player, then they would've changed it completely in multiplayer.
Not necessarily. My assumption about multiplayer not having it (because no story to serve etc) being incorrect doesn't make the inverse of it true. Could be that they were aiming to ground the Factions content in the game world as well, or simply chose to retain the core gunplay established in the single-player content.

To say they made it because they wanted to make the character feel like they're in a high pressure situation is just false.
I've yet to see an alternate compelling reason for them to make the aiming bad.

It's not sabotaging the aiming, it's to prevent people from getting easy kills, especially headshots.
That's multiplayer-specific, unless you're also referring to the campign in which case they could have simply nerfed headshots against zombies and made the human AI more evasive.

Gears added recoil to widen the skill gap.
There's a reason why aiming in games like Call of Duty and Halo are much easier in games in comparison to Counter Strike and Battlefield.
That's also multiplayer-specific, to allow lower-skilled players to compete. It doesn't have anything to do with TLoU, which is sold on its single-player content first and foremost.

Man, your arguments are pathetic... 'game is crap cause of grass clipping'
Literally never mentioned crap games or grass clipping. Your strawman discourse is pathetic.

I've got news for you, people don't start off excellent at everything....they practice and invest their time to improve. That is reflected in TLOU because it happens over a lengthy time period.
Even if it is Leons first day on the job he has probably had a fair bit of training.
The police don't train you before you even sign up. And even if we assume Leon trained himself in marksmanship before the events of the game, that alone is not going to prepare a person for a full-on zombie-plus-monsters apocalypse. He's a cop, not a soldier.

This is an incongruity that's been part of RE2 since its PS1 release, much like the RPD being the second coming of the Spencer mansion by virtue of being converted from a museum- it's esoteric and weird and makes no sense for a police department. And that's all part of the B-movie charm.

BTW, I was saying that you were taking cheap jabs at games that try to do something new or different.... I don't know how you didn't understand that!
My observations with fully-provided reasoning are cheap jabs now? The logic is all laid bare for the whole thread to see, you're free to try and unpick it if you think it's off-base.

Ignoring it in favor of implicit allegations that I'm just a hater having a go at darling TLoU are only going to make you look like some kind of unreasonable fanboy. Square peg, round hole.

It's so awesome that PlayStation is dominating and forced Xbox almost out of the living room and Nintendo to cannibalize their handheld market just to stay in the game..... I get enormous pleasure from how much it triggers people.
Meanwhile I'm over here enjoying the videogames. Hardware and brands are just a vehicle.

Keep moving those goal posts buddy.
Keep making lazy one-line gotcha shitposts in lieu of actual responses, guy.

You know it's fine to say it's Ok when Nintendo games does it because i like them.
Projecting like a movie theater again. I'm saying Zelda's story is immaterial in contrast to its gameplay, and that somehow makes me a Nintendo stan?

The lack of intellect you're displaying here is genuinely staggering.

And the average playtime of Last of Us is 14 hours (single player only mode) and only 1 hour 30 mins of cutscenes.

Speedrun time ~3 hours skipping cutscenes, what's your fucking point? I give your mental gymnastics in the face of facts a 0.

My point is that your gotcha is garbage, scrub. RE2make having a fast speedrun time relative to its cutscene length doesn't refute anything.

What's yours? That TLoU having shorter total cutscene runtime than RE2make proves it isn't a story focused game, casually forgetting the amount of in-game character chatter that's used to drive that story forward in between said cutscenes?

Again, mental gymnastics. You're waving numbers around and using them to make naive comparisons that fall apart under scrutiny.

Last edited:
Projecting like a movie theater again. I'm saying Zelda's story is immaterial in contrast to its gameplay, and that somehow makes me a Nintendo stan?

The lack of intellect you're displaying here is genuinely staggering.
Story and characters ARE important in Zelda and it's THE reason so many are still attached to it especially OOT,
Sony doesn't make cheap jabs, you say? Or are you trying to insinuate that the other companies do?

Oooor did you just get so heated that you flubbed your grammar here? :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa.png

In any case let bygones be bygones, it's clear neither of us is going to accept the argument of the other on this subject, E Explosive Zombie the best solution to this meme is to ignore it and keep enjoying PS 1st party games and don't let it hinder your enjoyment.

#NOGAMEPLAY #NOTDEEP #JUSTAMOVIE

My main gripe with Sony is that they don't advertise their exclusive MP games. Hopefully that'll change with TLOU2 MP, since it will most likely be a standalone (F2P?) game.

You'd be surprised if you knew how many people do not even know that Uncharted 4 and TLOU have MP components!

The only exception was Uncharted 3, where they heavily promoted the MP with 2 consecutive betas (Summer + Subway):

I also vividly remember people criticizing Sony for releasing subpar FPS games (you know, when Halo was big in the gaming scene). Hell, journalists even called Killzone 2 "Halo killer" to instigate fanboy wars.

I'm not surprised Sony has abandoned the FPS genre, since it's their TPS games that got the most praise.

I think people call them "Sony games" because the PS4 is the dominant platform this gen (100m+ consoles).

I don't remember this meme last-gen... maybe because the PS3 was struggling for some years, while XBOX 360 was dominating?

It's Human Psychology 101. :)

Sony didn't even invent cinematic gaming or QTEs. Cinematic gaming goes all the way back to Laserdisc games in the early 80s (Dragon's Lair anyone?) and QTEs were first introduced in the Shenmue series (highly ambitious cinematic AAA game on Dreamcast).

Last edited:

Shifty

Story and characters ARE important in Zelda and it's THE reason so many are still attached to it especially OOT,
Now who's stanning hard for Nintendo? (See how these accusations don't really work?)

And I'm not saying they're unimportant in absolute terms, just relative to the gameplay.
Doing a story-free Zelda would be a net loss, but the gameplay has been the thing at the fore since the OG game on the NES. That core formula didn't change for the most part, they just dressed it up with more and more story over time as the hardware permitted.

There's no point in the Zelda timeline that I can point to and confidently say "this is where the games' focus shifted from gameplay to story".

In any case let bygones be bygones, it's clear neither of us is going to accept the argument of the other on this subject, E Explosive Zombie the best solution to this meme is to ignore it and keep enjoying PS 1st party games and don't let it hinder your enjoyment.
Ultimately I do agree that the best solution to the meme is to ignore it. The whole point of its usage at this point is rabble-rousing folks into fighting about it, or to make threads in which to fight about it. Deprive it of mind-space and it'll die, easy.

Three

My point is that your gotcha is garbage, scrub. RE2make having a fast speedrun time relative to its cutscene length doesn't refute anything.

What's yours? That TLoU having shorter total cutscene runtime than RE2make proves it isn't a story focused game, casually forgetting the amount of in-game character chatter that's used to drive that story forward in between said cutscenes?

Again, mental gymnastics. You're waving numbers around and using them to make naive comparisons that fall apart under scrutiny.

Pleb bring a better argument to the table. That's not the speedrun time but I merely pointed out what it can be completed in inbetween cutscenes. How much time do you spend in RE2 remake walking and talking with Ada or other NPCs like the little girl talking about her mum, or waiting for doors to open or lifting fileing cabinets out of the way or reading some text that you investigate. It's the same, that's story too. It doesn't fall apart under scrutiny your argument does in face of actual facts.

Somebody said RE Remake didn't tell me the world is scary through cutscenes, but it did. It had about the same length of cutscenes in a shorter game. If the point is that the gameplay is not up to par vs another game that has just as many cutscenes if not more then you can argue that you didn't like that particular game because X, Y, Z instead of trying to call it a movie but that would actually require a nuanced argument that is rarely presented. you can't say it's actually a movie. The games are actually very similar in their style. You walk and talk you move from corridor to corridor looking for supplies, move room to room and you shoot zombies in the while doing it. You explore rooms and learn about the world. If you actually look at the numbers and what you are doing.

Hell RE Remake doesn't have competitive multiplayer making it more a one and done SP movie experience. So I ask again what I asked before when you didn't have a point but concentrated on my stated completion time, what is the difference between them? Are you saying there are more walking or talk sections in TLOU? Are you saying there is less shooting sections. Prove it. Show it with numbers because I'm sure you can't.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The amount of time put into creating a given element of a game is development focus, not the focus of the game itself. Whether a game is gameplay, story, visual or whatever-else-focused is defined by a game's design.

But you don't know what world or environment to create without a story.

Resident Evil 2
- Police Station\Museum
- Sewers
- Laboratory.

These locations are determined by writing the story. They're not just made, they have to go through the process of how the characters go through their journey. That's why story has a focus more than gameplay mechanics.

Making it more difficult to get kills is a reiteration of 'they do it to make the game harder'. That doesn't explain why they'd choose that over other elements like more unpredictable enemies, heavier recoil, reticle convergence, or the like.

You're still defending your point.

They're purposefully floaty and hard to use because that makes sense for a character trying to fight off hordes of fungal zombies and hostile survivors: It's a high-pressure situation that would cause someone's hands to shake.

This is not true.

You can upgrade to have less sway in both multiplayer and single player

You upgrade in single player to have less sway

You have upgrade in multiplayer matches (each time you play) to have less sway on your weapons, too.

Upgrades make it easier to have better control of your weapon. If it was designed to not make it harder to get kills, then they would have never gave you the option to upgrade.

Because it's not particularly relevant to my point. The system is there in the first place for a reason, being able to peel it back through an upgrade system doesn't change that.

It's relevant. Your claim is that the aim is floaty because "characters trying to fight off hordes" in "high-pressure situation.

That's multiplayer-specific

No, you upgrade both in multiplayer and single player. It's not multiplayer specific.
latest
maxresdefault.jpg

- Single player upgrade: Capacity, Recoil, Rage, Fire Rate, Reload speed, Weapon Sway, Healing Speed

- Multiplayer

As shown in this video at the 7:22 mark, you can see the description of the Revolver Upgrade.

It states

Revolver Upgrade 1:
Upgrades: Reload speed, Rate of fire, clip size, starting ammo, recoil, accuracy.

This multiplayer has boosters that can be equipped with your loadouts.

You can also change the speed of the way you heal with "First Aid Training" booster.

Level 1
It has a cost of 2 and requires 25 supplies. With this, you can use health kits 75% faster than usual.

Level 2
It has a cost of 4 and requires 1125 supplies. With this, you can use health kits 75% faster and heal your fallen team mates by facing them and holding ‘X’. They will get 10 health per two seconds.

Level 3
It has a cost of 6 and requires 4275 supplies. Along with using the kits 75% faster, you will be able to provide 20 health to your fallen team mates per two seconds.

There are both upgrades in multiplayer and single player.

This is proof that they made this because they wanted to make it harder for you to get kills. Swaying aiming make it harder to get headshots.

ampign in which case they could have simply nerfed headshots against zombies and made the human AI more evasive.

That's why they have difficulty levels. Enemies are more aggressive based on difficulty level and harder to kill. Enemies are easier to kill when it's on the easy difficulty.

The game tends to "lock on" enemy targets based on difficulty level. That's offline specific.

Nothing would suggest that the floatly mechanics were put in the game because the character is in a high pressure situation.

That's also multiplayer-specific, to allow lower-skilled players to compete. It doesn't have anything to do with TLoU, which is sold on its single-player content first and foremost.

You're missing the point. These mechanics are designed for aiming to be harder. That's why the floaty\sway mechanic is in the last of us.

LMJ

If you want to play an interactive movie congratulations those absolutely exist try dragon's lair or dragon's lair 2 to name just a few...

But this silliness that only Sony makes actual interactive movies is garbage, just because a game is cinematic does not make it less of A game, simply one that plays differently...

Considering the wide berth of games on the playstation including those that are exclusive, you should have no problem finding a cinematic game a straight up gameplay game a multiplayer game a story heavy game or anything in between...

Shifty

Just gonna go ahead and leave this here because it popped up in an unrelated analysis I was watching and seemed strikingly relevant:

(Timestamped)

And I quote, one Neil Druckmann of Naughty Dog at GDC 2010:

"The theme of today's talk is that the narrative drives the gameplay. That means in development, all of out brainstorms, all of our game design, all of our layouts, all of our art, all of our enemies, everything we're creating is in service of the story."

That is all.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

"The theme of today's talk is that the narrative drives the gameplay. That means in development, all of out brainstorms, all of our game design, all of our layouts, all of our art, all of our enemies, everything we're creating is in service of the story."

That is all.
Yes, and this is what I've been saying. Goes for a lot of games today.

MagnesG

Banned
Just gonna go ahead and leave this here because it popped up in an unrelated analysis I was watching and seemed strikingly relevant:

(Timestamped)

That is all.

Well there it goes, no wonder lol.

Top Bottom