• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

K' Dash

OK, that's weird. I woke up at 6AM, ready to call Sony, went downstairs, brought the system out of standby, popped in a disc one more time to try it... and it worked! I installed and started Need for Speed and Killzone without any problems. My drive isn't particularly noisy either - in fact, I could barely hear it from about 4 feet away.

So yay, I guess? I hope it's still working when I go back to play it later...

Could you please describe what happened last night, when you first set up the console?

Raxious

The thing that I'm curious about is the fact that EA posted that message saying that the 1.50 update was giving tons of stability related issues. Considering the message is now gone, and it says it was an error followed by saying people should check the support page of Sony.

Damaniel

Banned
Could you please describe what happened last night, when you first set up the console?

I got the console at about 3:30, but I didn't have a chance to hook it up until about 7:30. I hooked it up, and everything started up normally. I did the upgrade to 1.50 (using the network), and then walked through the initial setup process. Everything was fine up to this point, but I hadn't tried a disc yet.

After the setup, I went to put in Killzone, and the disc drive wouldn't accept it. The motors that pull in the disc would stop after the disc was about a quarter of the way in. I'd then have to manually pull the disc out because the eject button would just beep (like there was no disc inside) when you pressed it. I also tried Knack; same thing.

I tried entering safe mode and resetting to defaults; no luck. Then, I tried orienting the system vertically - this actually fixed the disc insertion problem! I was able to put the system flat again, and disc insertion worked fine, but I had a new problem - the drive was never spinning up to read the disc. No icon on the main screen, nothing in my library - nothing. I fiddled around for a few minutes but nothing made any difference. So, I downloaded and played Resogun for a little while, put the system in standby mode, and left it until this morning (when I planned to call Sony).

This morning, I brought the system out of standby. The strange part is that the system made the disc eject noise for about 5 seconds or so while doing it. When the system was running, I popped in a disc to check it before calling Sony up, and it worked. I loaded and started Killzone and Need for Speed without any problems.

K' Dash

I got the console at about 3:30, but I didn't have a chance to hook it up until about 7:30. I hooked it up, and everything started up normally. I did the upgrade to 1.50 (using the network), and then walked through the initial setup process. Everything was fine up to this point, but I hadn't tried a disc yet.

After the setup, I went to put in Killzone, and the disc drive wouldn't accept it. The motors that pull in the disc would stop after the disc was about a quarter of the way in. I'd then have to manually pull the disc out because the eject button would just beep (like there was no disc inside) when you pressed it. I also tried Knack; same thing.

I tried entering safe mode and resetting to defaults; no luck. Then, I tried orienting the system vertically - this actually fixed the disc insertion problem! I was able to put the system flat again, and disc insertion worked fine, but I had a new problem - the drive was never spinning up to read the disc. No icon on the main screen, nothing in my library - nothing. I fiddled around for a few minutes but nothing made any difference. So, I downloaded and played Resogun for a little while, put the system in standby mode, and left it until this morning (when I planned to call Sony).

This morning, I brought the system out of standby. The strange part is that the system made the disc eject noise for about 5 seconds or so while doing it. When the system was running, I popped in a disc to check it before calling Sony up, and it worked. I loaded and started Killzone and Need for Speed without any problems.

Great, thank you! hope it's smooth sailing from here :)

What the... o_O

That sounds so random. lol

Good luck for you.

Ok so I was getting the flashing blue lights and was able to get into safe mode a few times and eventually got back to the set up screen and then it froze. Was not able to get back into safe mode last night. I went to bed and this morning tried turning it on and it just worked. Dont know how long its gonna last.

Loudninja

Ok so I was getting the flashing blue lights and was able to get into safe mode a few times and eventually got back to the set up screen and then it froze. Was not able to get back into safe mode last night. I went to bed and this morning tried turning it on and it just worked. Dont know how long its gonna last.
>_> that's 2 people now.

sajj316

The thing that I'm curious about is the fact that EA posted that message saying that the 1.50 update was giving tons of stability related issues. Considering the message is now gone, and it says it was an error followed by saying people should check the support page of Sony.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has 1.51 out within a week. My firmware experience has been ok this far.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
PS4S HAVE BEEN HEALED

I SAY TO YOU CAST OFF THE GREAT SATAN THAT IS LAST GEN

RELEASE THAT SIN FROM YOUR BODY

RISE, PS4, RISE AND BE FREE FROM THE ORIGINAL SIN THAT HATH DAMNED YOU SO

YOU HAVE BEEN BORNE ANEW

K' Dash

PS4S HAVE BEEN HEALED

YOU HAVE BEEN BORNE ANEW

exorcist1024.jpg

hypernima

Banned
Anyone else have the same problem as me?

I was downloading the update, the PS4 kept shutting off randomly, somehow I got the update working so I install, and ever since then when I boot up the PS4 it just freezes.

This is really grinding my gears.

K' Dash

Anyone else have the same problem as me?

I was downloading the update, the PS4 kept shutting off randomly, somehow I got the update working so I install, and ever since then when I boot up the PS4 it just freezes.

This is really grinding my gears.

Have you tried entering safe mode and factory reset?

Raxious

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has 1.51 out within a week. My firmware experience has been ok this far.

This was the original message:

Sony has released a firmware update for the PlayStation 4 that is required for many features on the console. However, this update also results in stability issues while playing games on the system.
This affects all games on the PS4, including EA titles, causing crashing/freezing and non-responsive connections between the player’s console and their TV Screen.
Unfortunately since it’s an issue with Sony’s firmware, it requires a new update to fix it. Sony is working to resolve the issue as quickly as they can. They will update their System Update page as new versions are made available, and we will keep this page updated as we find out more.

The page now just says this:

The message on EA’s Help site was posted in error. Players with questions about PS4 connectivity can visit https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5102 for the latest updates.
https://help.ea.com/article/sony-playstation-4-update-1-5-instability

I mean let's be honest, I'm not expecting EA to just put that message up there without thinking, so I'm guessing there's some truth to it being update related.

mcmudman

Neo Member
So, I initially thought that I was gonna have one of the good systems. I had been playing my ps4 that I got from amazon with no hiccups and no problems for hours on end. All of a sudden when I'm on the home menu about to start another session of resogun the screen goes black and there's this loud and long continuous shriek. Since then, can't even boot into safe mode. :( I'm going to try to go to my local sony store and see if they can replace my system. Let's hope they have some extras left. Fingers crossed

Lion

PS4S HAVE BEEN HEALED

YOU HAVE BEEN BORNE ANEW

Obviously these ps4 where just tired from a long business trip, they just wanted to catch some sleep.

For the people having problems, turn off the console and get some rest.

Vizzeh

Banned
Iv imported from the US, Amazon.com, expect to see it in the UK on Tue 19th Nov

Also have another PRE-Order for a killzone megabundle on the 29Th Nov at GAME UK

Im kind of lucky that I have 2 consoles at launch to ensure I have a working one. (If both work, I will be selling one to a guy in work for cost price, non profit)

I am concerned though that it will be DOA, the amazon one atleast... I have 3 queries though

#1 Is there a chance the Euro PS4 (altho same design etc) Will be a better build quality as its a later batch

and

#2 If my Amazon.com Console is DOA, I presume I dont need to send it back to the US? (unless its for a full refund) - I can just send to Sony for repair?

ORRRR would I be able to swap my Amazon 1 into the GAME shop box and have them refund, at no difference to them?

TeaFan

So are we thinking this is now a software issue rather than hardware. I know there are a few doa's and hdmi issues, but most of you seem to run into trouble after updating?

kaskade

I got an amazon one, running 1.5. I was getting some weird flickering issue. I wanted to move my ps4 to a different spot in my setup anyway so I did and it seems fine now. It's a different Hdmi cable now (amazon basics) but I haven't had a problem yet. I'll see how it is when I get home today.

inter

Well, I moved my system to see if where I had it before was causing it to overheat (never got the red flashing bar) and trying a different game now (Killzone vs. NBA 2K14 last night) and at least so far it's running okay... Again, fingers crossed.

inter

I got an amazon one, running 1.5. I was getting some weird flickering issue. I wanted to move my ps4 to a different spot in my setup anyway so I did and it seems fine now. It's a different Hdmi cable now (amazon basics) but I haven't had a problem yet. I'll see how it is when I get home today.

What do you mean flickering? Did your system ever completely shut off?

There has been reports on amazon of a missing pin in the provided HDMI cable which caused no display so that could be the cause of the flickering issue as well.

Jinko

OK, that's weird. I woke up at 6AM, ready to call Sony, went downstairs, brought the system out of standby, popped in a disc one more time to try it... and it worked! I installed and started Need for Speed and Killzone without any problems. My drive isn't particularly noisy either - in fact, I could barely hear it from about 4 feet away.

So yay, I guess? I hope it's still working when I go back to play it later...

I've seen this on PC's before and was wondering if its a similar thing.

Might be worth people with issues unplugging the consoles waiting 30-60 minutes and trying again.

Nibiru

Banned
Ok so mine seems to be ok it was made in that cruddy China plant everyone has been mentioning BUT it was made in August.

I bought it from Best Buy Canada btw.

Cross my fingers that it stays ok lol.

So I just booted up some NFS and was playing it on my Vita... I noticed in the background in the desert area that there was a lot of graphical glitches, missing textures, flickering shadows, etc...

I uninstalled the game from the HDD and am reinstalling it now, but I'm worried it could be indicative of a failing GPU portion of the processor... Will report back in a bit to let you know if the issue is fixed. :(

Whew, uninstalling the game and installing it again fixed the issue. My PS4 is still going strong...

Edit: I do think the firmware is causing some issues and at least some of the problems people are experiencing aren't related to the hardware.

hypernima

Banned
try disconnecting everything, let it rest for a few minutes, reconnect and try again.

This is from a cold boot, but I just called my local sony store and they agreed to replace. But thanks for giving me that tip about initializing, that restored my faith for a while. I'm gonna head out to the store to get the new package.

inter

So, I was running with literally zero issues playing Killzone for about 40 after having a ton of issues last night playing 2K14. Just stopped Killzone to test NBA 2K14 and almost seconds after putting the disc in my system crashed again.

Separate threads for those with working and non-working machines might indeed be a good idea. I have a working machine and a question about headphones.

Are we supposed to be able to just plug any old pair of headphones into the controller jack and hear all game audio that way? I tried doing this with KZ and nothing happened. No option in the setting for headphone audio, either.

Mine came with a small crack on the front corner. It runs just fine, but this is really disappointing. I emailed Amazon about it, we'll see what they say... Here's a link to the pic, I tried putting it in the message but it was way too big for some reason:
http://i.imgur.com/kXz1Exn.jpg
I've got an update on this today. Amazon replied, they can do a refund, but not a replacement (since they don't have any in stock), or they can offer me a 10% ($40) credit and let me keep it. The PS4 works fine, so I'm tempted to take the credit, but I know that crack is going to bug me...

conBLACK

Neo Member
So I set my PS4 up last night and played about an hour of Killzone. I had to get up early this morning and went to eject the disc. Well I couldn't find the eject button, so I just assumed I was an idiot and checked the manual. I touched where it said to and still nothing.

That's when I noticed this:

6gaIY9h.png

It looks like they forgot to give me an eject button. It couldn't have broken off. I've only had it in my living room and searched the carpet and the stand I have it on as well as the box. On top of that like any new console, I was babying it, and it wasn't dropped or anything. There also doesn't seem to be any broken plastic around where the button should be.

Angelcurio

This is extremely worrying. Especially since I am importing mine so in the case it were DOA I'd have to pay to send it back(don't know how much) and pay about 120USD to receive a replacement. Mine would be arriving on Monday from amazon, so hopefully there'll be more info regarding this problem by then. Is anyone else here in this situation? Mine's coming from amazon orlando, any DOAs there?
I'm in the same boat as you, my console will arrive to Dominican Republic on monday from the courier company which received it from Amazon Orlando, and i'll have to pay about 140USD for customs, so in the case it were DOA I'd have to pay to send it back and pay customs again.

kaskade

What do you mean flickering? Did your system ever completely shut off?

It would kind of flicker white almost, seemed like only half the screen too sometimes. Sound would usually cut out when it happened too. I probably played for another 45 min to an hour with no issue really. I'll see how it holds up when I'm home later.

Bundy

Banned
Real question:
Has anyone simply played the PS4 without the 1.50 patch (so only offline/sngleplayer) without any problems?

Blackage

ok let me angle this another way, those of you with blue light of death, if you leave your system running does it cut off on it's own at any point?

Elchele

How many consoles are failing? Is the numberr pretty high?

hard to say, but surely not isolated cases. The HDMI issue is the most repetitive one, then you have the software problems (firmware 1.5) and then some other isolated cases like the guy without a button or the other one with dead fan.

~~Hasan~~

So I set my PS4 up last night and played about an hour of Killzone. I had to get up early this morning and went to eject the disc. Well I couldn't find the eject button, so I just assumed I was an idiot and checked the manual. I touched where it said to and still nothing.

That's when I noticed this:

6gaIY9h.png

It looks like they forgot to give me an eject button. It couldn't have broken off. I've only had it in my living room and searched the carpet and the stand I have it on as well as the box. On top of that like any new console, I was babying it, and it wasn't dropped or anything. There also doesn't seem to be any broken plastic around where the button should be.
man lol. i should be feeling bad about this and i hope Karma doesn't get into me with my future console but that was funny.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
ok let me angle this another way, those of you with blue light of death, if you leave your system running does it cut off on it's own at any point?

Mine didn't turn off on it's own. I left it running for a good 30min at least while I was trying to find a fix.

Top Bottom