• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 has 8 GB OF GDDR5 RAM

i-Lo

rams9skt.png

It would have be half that given the higher density 4Gbit/512MB chips will be used (that came out this year).

And the Wii U will add another $100 to that, go buy it, next gen is decided.

And if the Wii-U were actually comparable, you would have a point. The PS4 has a lot of advantages over the next Xbox, price probably isn't one of them. I'm buying a PS4, it may become my default console, but saying next-gen is decided is an insane thing to say.

I doubt that. Based on hardware specs, Kinect ate into the BoM that could have gone to more graphical power. I don't expect much of a cost difference if any.

I was being pithy about the "$100" thing, although Bkilian did mention a $100 price difference with BOM between Durango and Orbis based soley on the ram, my overall point is MS should have a price advantage and probably a cost reduction advantage too.

I'm really afraid Sony will pay dearly for that additional 4GB of RAM. Either the console will become very expensive which will likely cause the same trouble as PS3 had or Sony will bleed money per sold console, which is the last thing the company needs right now.

Snubbers

What?
The amount of ram directly affects how much you can do (especially when it's top of the line ram like this) much more than ghz which doesnt really tell the full story.
This isnt just a bump in speed, it's doubling the amount of GDDR5 that they had and that's a pretty huge deal.

Doubling the RAM won't double the performance though.. 4GB (3.5GN w/o OS) seemed OK, as in 176GB/s @ 60fps = 2.9GB/frame as an absolute maximum theoretical limit, since it'll be no where near that in practice, you can see that purely in terms of visuals, going to 8GB isn't going to be earth shattering, but it will still be welcome and developers will obviously make use of it..

So it's not a huge deal to me, I was happy with 4GB, but with the OS features they've mentioned, I think it does add a nice amount of headroom, but I can't see why anyone should think doubling the RAM is a huge deal..

All IMO..

I'm really afraid Sony will pay dearly for that additional 4GB of RAM. Either the console will become very expensive which will likely cause the same trouble as PS3 had or Sony will bleed money per sold console, which is the last thing the company needs right now.

Sony's biggest problem last gen was blu ray cost, BC cost and perception from a complex system devs had to work too hard to make sing. this resulted in inferior ports and some games not arriving at all.

They'll be fine. $400-450 sold at cost, slight profit or a slight loss will put them in a great position to propser this gen.

Van Owen

Banned

I feel like Sony realizes that neither of those is a viable option, and knows it can sell at a reasonable price and not take a huge hit.

Nothing wrong with a man looking to trade up career-wise.

lolz.

Except they haven't gotten Gaikai PS3 streaming working?

I'll eat crow on the RAM. Shit is bananas. And I thought AC4 would be at the press conference, not Watch_dogs.

Edit: shit, also Destiny crow.

this comment is gold if you take into account some of his posts earlier "hey, don't expect big 3rd party stuff, but i'm hearing lots of hype for microsoft though"

you can store a lot of 3d textures and volumetric shit in 8gb, not to mention all the flat textures normal maps, polys, etc, not to mention a buffer to make streaming easier, that is to say, loading more content before you need it so that you're less likely to see it happen on-screen.

lets say 512x512 texture and choose a number at random like 32 bit depth, you might think yeah, rgba, 32 bits, makes sense, but not quite so much. Anyways, with our made up number we have, 512x512x32 = 1MB exactly, well if we want to extend that to be volumetric 512x512x512x32 = 512MB. OH NOES.

A lot of people will be dissapointed once the box arrive and won't be able to match a GTX560ti with 1GB GDDR5.

You need processing power to do Volumetric shadows, not infinite memory pool. What is a '3D texture' to begin with? Developers will be happy once they wont need to optimize their bloated stuff to fit in, gamers will have shorter load times, because there wont be any better use for so much RAM in a so weak system.

In fact, it's most than probably than raw performance will be lowered down a bit, since they will have to loose timmings on the IMC for it to be able to hold double RAM.

There is a lot of people making laugh about the 8GB GDDR5 Meme, and people actually believing this is some sort of advanced stuff. Going from 4GB to 8GB in the same PCB is as easy as double sided PCB for memory chips. Later on, as chips will double the density, Sony will be able to halve the chip count for the cheaper revision of the board.

8GB is not good for gamers. Memory is boring stuff you need to feed the beasts. We, graphic whores, need more shader units, more ROP'S and TMU's, more speed and fillrate, and a better core CPU, not that crappy Jaguar stuff that our mommies use in their shitty Acer netbooks.

8GB GDDR5 is Sony being Sony after pay for preexisting tech instead of engineer it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If its $400, that would be a monumental achievement or they'll be taking a small bath with each console sold. I'm hoping they can pull it off, because it means that Wii U and the next Xbox will be priced affordably. Even at $499, the ps3 was a good overall value, if they can get this console to launch $100 cheaper, that's a big deal.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I seriously have been on a High since the PS4 reveal

So Good

I have my $1,000 Ready to Be Burned on this Fucker

Bring on the Platinums!

This 8GB GDDR5 sounds insane to me, it's like I'm waiting for Sony any day to go, yeah we misspoke, shit is just to dreamy of a scenario

Not sure what the big deal is here? Multiplatform games will look similar, 1st party titles for Sony might look better, but the average consumer is not going to care...I don't see what all the hype is about here.

GAF is hardly the average consumer though is it? ... hence the excitement!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
8GB is not good for gamers. Memory is boring stuff you need to feed the beasts. We, graphic whores, need more shader units, more ROP'S and TMU's, more speed and fillrate, and a better core CPU, not that crappy Jaguar stuff that our mommies use in their shitty Acer netbooks.

8GB GDDR5 is Sony being Sony after pay for preexisting tech instead of engineer it.

A netbook has an 8 core amd chip? Wtf?

I seriously have been on a High since the PS4 reveal

So Good

I have my $1,000 Ready to Be Burned on this Fucker

Bring on the Platinums!

This 8GB GDDR5 sounds insane to me, it's like I'm waiting for Sony any day to go, yeah we misspoke, shit is just to dreamy of a scenario

But you just complained about spending money on an OS for a PC in the other thread.

lol.

i-Lo

A lot of people will be dissapointing once the box arrive and won't be able to match a GTX560ti with 1GB GDDR5.

You need processing power to do Volumetric shadows, not infinite memory pool. What is a '3D texture' to begin with? Developers will be happy once they wont need to optimize their bloated stuff to fit in, gamers will have shorter load times, because there wont be any better use for so much RAM in a so weak system.

In fact, it's most than probably than raw performance will be lowered down a bit, since they will have to loose timmings on the IMC for it to be able to hold double RAM.

There is a lot of people making laugh about the 8GB GDDR5 Meme, and people actually believing this is some sort of advanced stuff. Going from 4GB to 8GB in the same PCB is as easy as double sided PCB for memory chips. Later on, as chips will double the density, Sony will be able to halve the chip count for the cheaper revision of the board.

Clearly you know more than Epic.

Also 32 ROPs, 72TMU (rumoured).

And the jag is a modified one where the GPU's CU (up to 4) can also bear the brunt of general processing.

Sony's biggest problem last gen was blu ray cost, BC cost and perception from a complex system devs had to work too hard to make sing. this resulted in inferior ports and some games not arriving at all.

They'll be fine. $400-450 sold at cost, slight profit or a slight loss will put them in a great position to propser this gen.

If the console indeed costs $400 to make that would be absolutely true, but seeing that the equivalent PC with cheaper 8GB DDR3 costs $600 I doubt that, despite the mass production benefits Sony has in assembling the console (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514691).

The problem is that if Microsoft releases a slightly weaker but much cheaper Xbox3 - which will probably sell better as a result - developers will still not bother to optimize for PS4.

A lot of people will be dissapointing once the box arrive and won't be able to match a GTX560ti with 1GB GDDR5.

I call bullshit. Now 8GB is not good for gaming? This is what developers asked for, and Sony listened to them. Now you're trying to say that all these developers don't know what they are talking about?

We will see some amazing stuff, guaranteed. I'm not worried one bit.

From looks without a fucking problem. Planetside2 is also high HDD dependent (meaning SSD is almost needed) and this may complicate things but as i said there is no reason to even run it better on consoles (more fast ram something which is very very very needed by most of MMO games)

You can easily replace HDD with SDD. So people that want the best performance of the game on PS4 will buy what's needed.

this comment is gold if you take into account some of his posts earlier "hey, don't expect big 3rd party stuff, but i'm hearing lots of hype for microsoft though"

Is there any doubts where that dude's allegiances are? he has been downplaying the PS4 for months while finding ways to make Durango more appealing.

Curufinwe

Which netbook has a Jaguar processor?

Is there any doubts where that dude's allegiances are? he has been downplaying the PS4 for months while finding ways to make Durango more appealing.
You would think people are past that kind of crap already, but even in this thread it seems the console wars are set to resume as usual. I'm pulling for MS to bring the heat just as much as Sony, but some of this stuff is lol worthy.

The stuff we are going to see on this system down the line is going to be so insane.

Consider this.
Crysis 3 by far the best looking game out right now has a minimum system spec of:

Recommended system requirements for PC
Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM
Quad core CPU
4GB Memory
Nvidia/Intel example setup: Nvidia GTX 560, Intel Core i3-530
AMD example setup: AMD Radeon HD5870, AMD Phenom II X2 565

With at least 7GB of GDDR5(maybe more) always available to devs the sky really is the limit for this thing.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
But you just complained about spending money on an OS for a PC in the other thread.

lol.

I just said people forget to add in the OS cost

Did I say I was building a PC?

I was just saying most don't add that into their total

The $1,000 is total for me to buy PS4 + accessories + 5-7 games at the start, that's all

Not saying $1,000 just for PS4 alone

I'm crazy for Platinums, but I know how to wrangle in my Platinum Obsession

The stuff we are going to see on this system down the line is going to be so insane.

Consider this.
Crysis 3 by far the best looking game out right now has a minimum system spec of:

With at least 7GB of GDDR5(maybe more) always available to devs the sky really is the limit for this thing.
You are wrong. 8GB is bad for gamers.

I really like Aegies. Its great he is so open with all of us about reviews/opinions ect. He and all the rest of us were way off on this though. Just shows sources aren't everything.

I agree with that from the BOM perspective. I'm still not consistently factoring in the extra 4GB of GDDR5. But when coming from the retail perspective I don't expect there to be much difference leading to MS taking less of a loss.

i-Lo

Consider this.

More safe to assume 4GB or more atm.

diehard

Fleer

Consider this.

Also Consider that the recommended GPU is 1600 Stream Processors and 2.16 Tflops.

Basically faster than the PS4's GPU.

More safe to assume 4GB or more atm.

No way. OS isn't using more than 1GB.

This is pretty cool:
Sony revealed that its new console ships with 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, not the 4GB we previously reported. It was a pleasant surprise not just for us, but also for many game developers out there working on PS4 titles now and completely unaware of the upgrade - a final flourish to the design seemingly added in at the last moment to make PlayStation 4 the most technologically advanced games console of the next gaming era.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-spec-analysis-playstation-4

Clearly you know more than Epic.

Also 32 ROPs, 72TMU (rumoured).

And the jag is a modified one where the GPU's CU (up to 4) can also bear the brunt of general processing.

Did Epic said they need 8GB GDDR5?

Or did they say they need 512MB over 256MB?

It's a very different thing. 256MB was so little for Xenon/Xenos. 8GB is overkill for nowadays GPU horsepower. I would prefer those ~20$ invested into a beefier GPU everyday.

Which netbook has a Jaguar processor?

Jaguar core is a low TDP CPU with integrated GPU oriented to battle Atom in the Netbook/Tablets segment. MS/Sony just added more cores into the DIE.

Isn't this banneable?

This is getting very very annoying. The people that say 8gb is overkill, unless you are a console developer, please keep your ignorant opinion to yourself. What's sad is even people at beyond3d are saying this and I thought they would know better.

If console devs want lots of ram and are very happy about it, then their opinion is 100% more important and accurate then all these tech savvy wanna bes.

iceatcs

Oh come on, 8GB is overkill?

Then high-end PCs are also overkill. These have 2 ram systems to make up way over 8GB.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
If there's one thing I didn't expect after this conference, it's "whoa now this console is too powerful." As if that's a negative thing. Crazy!

Top Bottom