• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 ICE Team Programmer: ‘Surface Tiling/Detiling On The CPU Is 10-100x Faster Now’

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't want to drag this off-topic, but MS should really set up something like the ICE Team. So far as I know they don't have anything like it, and this generation they need it more than ever.

FyreWulff

So in DBZ terms what does this mean

The animation improving from Season 1 to the final season

This is pretty standard for consoles. The initial versions of the SDKs have a lot of "just get it running" code, then you go back and optimize after hardware is final.

I don't want to drag this off-topic, but MS should really set up something like the ICE Team. So far as I know they don't have anything like it, and this generation they need it more than ever.

They lost arguably the best person to head such a team to ICE (Corrine). They do have their D3D team of course, though. They also have a team responsible for the SDK on the XB1. So I'd say they have equivalent resources, just not in a unified team.

Jetlagger

Banned
Ay, so like, they definitely would have applied for a software patent on whatever new algorithm they've developed, right? Don't want Microsoft getting ahold of it and putting it in DirectX or whatevers. This is ICE's little shot at Pennello, right?!

Skeff

Doesn't the PS4 have 10.25 GB of RAM?

8GB GDDR5

2.25GB DDR3 (was discovered in a tear down at launch)

....who know what goes where?

I could be wrong about the amounts - please correct me if I am

No, PS4 has 8GB GDDR5 for main system.

A background processor has a 256mb Ram chip available to it, I can't remember what sort of ram, I wanna guess DDR3.

omonimo

Banned
Doesn't the PS4 have 10.25 GB of RAM?

8GB GDDR5

2.25GB DDR3 (was discovered in a tear down at launch)

....who know what goes where?

I could be wrong about the amounts - please correct me if I am
Uh seriously? I knew it uses ddr3 for the os features but I don't know it has 2 gb of 'secret ram'. What about DF leaks? He said part of gddr5 it's used for the xmb, is it false?

Ay, so like, they definitely would have applied for a software patent on whatever new algorithm they've developed, right? Don't want Microsoft getting ahold of it and putting it in DirectX or whatevers. This is ICE's little shot at Pennello, right?!

This isn't that terribly significant in the scheme of things. Any similarly skilled developer would likely arrive at a similar or identical solution. And with any IP development, there's always the weighing of patent vs. trade secret. I think most opt for trade secret in cases similar to this. The exception I can think of is the patent Microsoft got for the new lighting algorithm Corrine Yu developed, but then that'd also be why Sony decided to nab her. Big talent.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They lost arguably the best person to head such a team to ICE (Corrine). They do have their D3D team of course, though. They also have a team responsible for the SDK on the XB1. So I'd say they have equivalent resources, just not in a unified team.

ICE Team isn't really the equivalence of those things, because Sony also have a team to write the APU and SDK. It's a team set up specially to work on programming techniques for PlayStation hardware that helps all of their internal studios. Part of the reason for the huge gulf in visual quality (in addition to the beefier hardware) last gen was MS lacking an equivalent.

They do. They work on DirectX. However, since DirectX need to work on wide range of hardware, their talent is spread thin I assume.

Jetlagger

Banned
Guys.

B334tEz.png

https://twitter.com/postgoodism/status/440665342025539584

Motherfucking BOOM, yo. I love these cats. I knew it was the devs' problem ever since Infinity Ward launched that game that was outputting more frames per second than people's TVs could show because they don't know what they're doing and didn't have Sledgehammer to hold their hands.

ICE Team isn't really the equivalence of those things, because Sony also have a team to write the APU and SDK. It's a team set up specially to work on programming techniques for PlayStation hardware that helps all of their internal studios. Part of the reason for the huge gulf in visual quality (in addition to the beefier hardware) last gen was MS lacking an equivalent.

MS also has an outreach team that assists developers too. I'm simply stating they're not all under one roof like ICE is. ICE also seems to cause a greater occurrence of 1st party studio parity in technology too. ICE does 3rd party visits too. Cort was at Bungie a couple of months ago.

No, PS4 has 8GB GDDR5 for main system.

A background processor has a 256mb Ram chip available to it, I can't remember what sort of ram, I wanna guess DDR3.

I'm right ^_^

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Teardown/19493?

SCEI (Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc.) CXD90026G SoC (includes AMD "Jaguar" Cores and AMD Radeon Graphics GPU)

Samsung K4G41325FC-HC03 4 Gb (512 MB) GDDR5 RAM (total of 16 x 512 MB = 8 GB)

SCEI CXD90025G Secondary/Low Power Processor for Network Tasks

Samsung K4B2G1646E-BCK0 2Gb DDR3 SDRAM

Macronix MX25L25635FMI 256Mb Serial Flash Memory

Marvell 88EC060-NN82 Ethernet Controller

SCEI 1327KM44S

---------------------------

So....

8 GB GDDR5 RAM

+

2GB DDR3 RAM

+

256MB flash RAM/memory

=

10.25GB total RAM

Edit: I'm wrong, it's like 8.25 RAM

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
MS also has an outreach team that assists developers too. I'm simply stating they're not all under one roof like ICE is. ICE also seems to cause a greater occurrence of 1st party studio parity in technology too. ICE does 3rd party visits too. Cort was at Bungie a couple of months ago.

Again...none of these are the same thing as ICE Team.

MS creative culture seems to be separate silos that don't interact. They're outright hostile to each other. It seems to have bled into their games studios too with less than stellar results.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
1000 to 10000 % performance boost on tiling is really good, and it also shows how bad the original code was for that...

Yeah fuck if you are getting those gains just how bad was the original implementation?

Still good news for the PS4 games going forward.

I'm right ^_^

SCEI (Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc.) CXD90026G SoC (includes AMD "Jaguar" Cores and AMD Radeon Graphics GPU)

SCEI 1327KM44S

So....

8 GB GDDR5 RAM

+

2GB DDR3 RAM

+

256MB flash RAM/memory

=

10.25GB total RAM

GB isn't the same as Gb

I'm right ^_^

SCEI 1327KM44S

So....

8 GB GDDR5 RAM

+

2GB DDR3 RAM

+

256MB flash RAM/memory

=

10.25GB total RAM

You're mistaking 2GB with 2Gb.
lol

Skeff

I'm right ^_^

SCEI 1327KM44S

So....

8 GB GDDR5 RAM

+

2GB DDR3 RAM

+

256MB flash RAM/memory

=

10.25GB total RAM

Sorry no, the 256MB of flash Memory is more of an OS/Firmware thing.

Also it's 2Gb not 2GB, Gb = Gigabit. 1 byte = 8 bits, 2Gb = 256MB

Caayn

Faster "now" compared to when? Is he saying these optimizations will make it into a future PS4 firmware update? Or a future hardware revision of the console? Or the optimizations are already there?
Curious to hear this as well. It's good that's it's faster now, but 10-100x faster compared to what?
How can anyone come to the conclusion that the PS4 has any AF issues based on a single multiplatform game?

Boggles my mind.
Strider, outlast and Thief, I count three. That said, it's strange that the PS4 version if lacking it. But I wouldn't yet call it an issue that is caused by the PS4 hardware.

Again...none of these are the same thing as ICE Team.

MS creative culture seems to be separate silos that don't interact. They're outright hostile to each other. It seems to have bled into their games studios too with less than stellar results.

At this point it's just a semantics argument of existence of resources vs organization. I've acknowledged they're not co-located. Don't know what else I can say.

I don't know, but ICE Team work only on Sony's PlayStation hardware, and as you said, the D3D team are building a high-level API, not low-level, hardware-specific tools.

That may be changing a bit soon http://www.tomshardware.com/news/directx-direct3d-opengl-mantle,26167.html

Could also just be reactionary vaporware to prevent devs from abandoning their API too.

Jetlagger

Banned

Nah dawg, Pennello said they got the technical fellowes. They know what they're doing. They're multidisciplinarian, and MS even provides some of them to do interviews with Eurogamer about the technical virtues of balance. Oh, and you don't need ice when you've got clouds, or something.

Damaniel

Banned
Tiling refers to how texels in a mip plane are not organized linearly but instead in blocks; linear layout of memory would have incredibly poor coherence when sampling if that were the case. Some tiling modes are considered more efficient for rendering vs sampling, which impacts decisions for layouts for eg shadow map targets which are used in both manner.

It's fairly rare/unusal to be updating textures at run-time on the CPU outside of small volume textures for low-resolution lighting or post-process color look-up tables. Thus this isn't a terribly interesting advancement per se. That said Cort is an awesome guy.

If anything, I'm glad to see that the devs there keep on working on optimizations, even small ones (I suspect that Microsoft has a similar team doing the same types of things for Xbox One, which is also good). The reference implementation for surface tiling and detiling was probably good enough for most purposes, but the team was willing to spend some time improving it anyway, when they would have been fully justified leaving it 'good enough' as it was. Anything that allows game devs to eke another fraction of a percent of performance out of the hardware is potentially beneficial.

StuBurns

Banned
Whatever the D3D team do, obviously the result isn't as pronounced, there's Halo 4, standing head and shoulders above anything else MS put out graphically, where as Sony had GG, SSM and ND constantly nipping at each others toes.

Top Bottom