• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 is quite the engineering marvel

Do we think that the paranoia from Sony about photographing the back of the console has to do with the cooling solution they have?

Maybe it's some kind of new tech they want to talk about on a separate occasion, rather than have people speculate from photos.

androvsky

Do we think that the paranoia from Sony about photographing the back of the console has to do with the cooling solution they have?

Maybe it's some kind of new tech they want to talk about on a separate occasion, rather than have people speculate from photos.

I suspect it's an earlier prototype that had an AV-out.

Mobile architecture has advanced so much that I'm not surprised by the PS4's size all that much. I'm more amazed by the bulk of the Xbox One.

You're really putting some effort in these shit posts.

Dude chill. I like the Xbox One more than the PS4...get over yourself.

Edit: It seems comparable to me, A larger box being used for the Xbox One which can stay powered on at all times in low power consuption mode. To increase the air flow as opposed to a Mid size box that run 20-30 hours with no problem.

Dude chill. I like the Xbox One more than the PS4...get over yourself.

Edit: It seems comparable to me, A larger box being used for the Xbox One which can stay powered on at all times in low power consuption mode. To increase the air flow as opposed to a Mid size box that run 20-30 hours with no problem.

Do you know how many recent tech products can do that?

enra

Neo Member
Benchmarks? Fine.

Cinebench R11.5 (CPU):

Intel Core i7-4500U @ 2 x 3.0 Ghz: 2.4 points
AMD Jaguar @ 8 x 1.6 Ghz: 3.33 points

3DMark 2013 Fire Strike (GPU)

Intel HD5000: 650
AMD HD 7870: 5,240

The i7-4500U, by the way, costs $399 for the CPU alone. Funny how that works.

The new macbook air uses a i5-4250u that boosts to 2.6 ghz

strata8

Anyone have any inside pics of the ps4 hardware ?

Probably like this.

PS3interior.jpg

Only backwards.

Agreed from a console perspective. Disagreed from an 'engineering marvel' perspective. Thin and light laptops, ultrabooks, and MacBooks are much more impressive than any console that's ever been released... As far as what OP is talking about.

Sorral

It's the truth though .

Child please.

But here is a serious reply: DF asked 4A's chief technical officer Oles Shishkovstov about the CPU/GPU in next-gen consoles. Turned out that he likes more cores to strong but fewer cores (Thread link).

Digital Foundry: Let's talk about next-gen console. What's your take on the general design in terms of CPU and graphics processing power?

Oles Shishkovstov: We are talking PS4, right? I am very excited about both CPU and GPU. Jaguar is a pretty well-balanced out-of-order core and there are eight of them inside. I always wanted a lot of relatively-low-power cores instead of single super-high-performance one, because it's easier to simply parallelise something instead of changing core-algorithms or chasing every cycle inside critical code segment (not that we don't do that, but very often we can avoid it).

Many beefier cores would be even better, but then we'll be left without a GPU! With regards the graphics core, it's great, simply great. It's a modern-age high-performance compute device with unified memory and multiple compute-contexts. The possibilities of CPU-GPU-CPU communication are endless, we can easily expect games doing, for example, AI pathfinding/route planning executing on GPU to become a common thing.

People can keep calling it a netbook CPU all they want (even though it isn't) while developers get easier development out of it due to the 8 cores and parallelism.
Also, not a damn netbook or laptop for $400 has this much power or such an APU. If you can package me a netbook that will run the same games at the same fidelity as the PS4 for the same price, I will buy it.

Probably like this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12527604/images/games/PS3interior.jpg[/IMG

Only backwards.[/QUOTE]
Someone pointed out that If you look at the back, the MB could be at the top with how the ports are up while the PSU port is still down. Seems a bit more than backward (possible that the MB is in the middle as well not bottom or top).
[QUOTE][IMG]http://ft.trillian.im/989f090fa7f24841d750ee5913a9c2e8f24edb59/6ht6YPuZ92iEvJdicfcwujH31ccpD.jpg

while gloating about how awesome an engineering feat it is to be smaller than hardware developed 10 years ago, have they even announced yet if the PS4 will have full game install capabilities?

i feel like most journalists dont think of this as a major feature and havent actually asked/addressed any Sony officials during the entire E3.

the fact that the PS3 still doesnt allow it baffles me, unless they've recently made changes im sure when i finally get around to playing Last of Us and even Beyond 2 Souls later this year ill still be having to worry about the possibility of a disc read error interfering with my gameplay..in 2013

microsoft has already confirmed its going to mandate it, let alone offer it as an option which they offer now with 360 since their 2008 firmware update, but thats DVD media, both consoles will be BluRay from now on and i have a feeling theres going to be a 2nd BluRay based generation of Playstation consoles released later this year and still requiring games to be played live off disc.

journalists are more worried about thinking up edge case scenarios surrounding the Online DRM issues as if the % of gamers possibly effected by those cases are anywhere near the amount who experience the wide range of DRE issues, even with brand new clean discs because random errors can happen with digital technology but it can be completely avoided.

I'm fairly sure if you're worried about DRE you can just download the game instead of buying the Bluray.
The good thing with the PS4 is it lets those who want value in their discs to keep them, but for those who want the convenience to have everything available instantly on their hard drive also available. While the Xbox One is basically rendering game discs useless and have no value to the end user.

Ya I know its kinda bizarre.. but if we talking about Engineering marvels, I would say even a Ipad retina is more impressive than a PS4.

It pushes more pixels than 1080p it also has: great wireless + LTE + Hefty battery life, in a tiny slim package.

The PS4 is fine and dandy, but it is pretty much a glorified mini ATX with mediocre APU, oohh and a blu-ray.

For a Junior, you sure are doing a lot of thread shitting.

Takuya

Banned
Someone pointed out that If you look at the back, the MB could be at the top with how the ports are up while the PSU port is still down. Seems a bit more than backward (possible that the MB is in the middle as well not bottom or top).

I believe the motherboard is mounted near the middle of the box to allow for airflow both underneath and above the motherboard.

Xbox One's size gives MS the opportunity to release at least 5 slimmer versions of the console.

Releasing a slimmer version usually means a hardware boost.
Yeah the ps3 slim sold like crazy when it was announced. It went from huge to incredibly slim and really felt like something new. I don't know if its intentional but the ms redesign will probably be drastically smaller giving the Xbox one the a fresh feel resulting in lots of sales. I anticipate many people will buy the second version of the Xbox once it becomes hard to ignore the exclusives.

A MacBook air packs way better tech and components in a slimmer better looking package.

Second post is accurate.

First post is correct but MacBook airs have shit hardware in them...
A weakass integrated gpu that isn't faster better than the xbox 360 gpu and a low end low clocked dual core with a name that is an insult to every consumer out there (give the piece of shit the name of the high end quad core desktop cpu , add a U, profit)

Man the new wave of juniors is really shitting up the forum (in general, not just the guy I quoted)

Sorral

I believe the motherboard is mounted near the middle of the box to allow for airflow both underneath and above the motherboard.

Yeah, that seems the most likely scenario especially with the bottom ventilation on the back and bottom-pointed ventilation on the side.

Oppo

Well to be fair SneakyStephen, you pretty much take a huge dump on anything that isn't your def'n of State of the Art.

But at least you sorta know what you're talking about, even if I think you're being a dweeb about it :)

Here's a potentially-dumb question: everyone keeps pointing out that the PS4 mobo seems 'upside down' due to port alignment, but can they not simply rewire those ports to another orientation? Like I don't see why they'd have to be one way "up" or the other.

ecosse_011172

First post is correct but MacBook airs have shit hardware in them...
A weakass integrated gpu that isn't faster better than the xbox 360 gpu and a low end low clocked dual core with a name that is an insult to every consumer out there (give the piece of shit the name of the high end quad core desktop cpu , add a U, profit)

Man the new wave of juniors is really shitting up the forum (in general, not just the guy I quoted)

Drop the "juniors" shit, do you think you're superior to someone else because you managed to register before them on an internet forum?

strata8

Here's a potentially-dumb question: everyone keeps pointing out that the PS4 mobo seems 'upside down' due to port alignment, but can they not simply rewire those ports to another orientation? Like I don't see why they'd have to be one way "up" or the other.

Not upside down, just at the top or middle of the console. In the PS3 slim, the board sits at the bottom with everything else (CPU, PSU, etc) sitting on top. You can see that from the rear:
ps3-slim-rear_medium.jpg

The rear of the PS4 is more like the original PS3:
ps3-rear-733x367.jpg

But the inside of that is so complex that it's hard to get a good idea of what the layout is like.

Sorral

Well to be fair SneakyStephen, you pretty much take a huge dump on anything that isn't your def'n of State of the Art.

But at least you sorta know what you're talking about, even if I think you're being a dweeb about it :)

They can re-wire them. The ethernet port is upside down in PS4 from how it was on the PS3 slim but the HDMI port has the same alignment.

I speculated upside-down MB because of how the ventilation looked like (the holes on the side are pointed to the bottom not top for example).

Edit: Beaten somewhat.

strata8

Okay, so I've looked at some pictures and the PS3 board is definitely upside down. There are 3 layers:

Top: Blu-ray Drive, PSU
Middle: Motherboard
Bottom: CPU, GPU, heatsink, etc.

Doesn't really help with the PS4 though.

I heard something about the PS4 GPU, 1.84TFLOPS, is bottle-necked by its Jaguar CPU. Is this true?

Don't flame me, I don't know much on Hardware.

strata8

I heard something about the PS4 GPU, 1.84TFLOPS, is limited by its Jaguar CPU. Is this true?

Don't flame me, I don't know much on Hardware.

Maybe. It's 4-5x faster than the CPU in the 360, and there'll be a lot of routines (for AI, etc) offloaded to the GPU, which didn't (or couldn't) happen last gen.

Zajora

Too bad there's no Wii U comparison in that "Sizing up the Console War" image in the OP.

..and I hadn't seen this before:

Nintendo Magic.

still a sexy little box, says I.

images

These kinds of things are so interesting. Is it a cultural thing that leads to Sony and Nintendo putting more effort into making their consoles so compact? I suppose if Microsoft is the only other comparison then it might be just a corporate thing.

Takuya

Banned
That would require the motherboard to have a cut out to go around the bluray drive.

No... the ports would be on top of the motherboard and the BD-drive mounted underneath the motherboard... I didn't say directly in the middle.

tipoo

Banned
I never expected it to be larger than the PS3. In fact I was surprised at how big the Xbone was, not how small the PS4 was. Just think about the launch TDP of the 360 and PS3, and how much extra space is needed to cool two discreet chips rather than one APU.

Theonik

Too bad there's no Wii U comparison in that "Sizing up the Console War" image in the OP.

..and I hadn't seen this before:

These kinds of things are so interesting. Is it a cultural thing that leads to Sony and Nintendo putting more effort into making their consoles so compact? I suppose if Microsoft is the only other comparison then it might be just a corporate thing.
I think it's just that Microsoft is crude than any cultural connection. Look at Apple's products for example.

Top Bottom