• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Platinum Wireless Headset Launching January 12

Loudninja

Naughty Dog - Platinum Wireless Headset: 3D Audio Dev Diary | PS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9LmDYfiDNc

I’m pleased to announce that our upcoming premium gaming headset, the Platinum Wireless Headset, will be available on January 12 for $159.99 (MSRP).The headset showcases enhanced, highly positional 7.1 virtual surround sound powered by PlayStation’s proprietary 3D audio technology. Hidden noise-cancelling microphones provide crisp, clear communication without the need for a boom mic. The headset combines superior construction and design offering style, durability, and maximum comfort – especially for long gaming sessions. Platinum is compatible with PlayStation VR and mobile devices using the included 3.5mm audio cable.
You may be familiar with 3D audio from PS VR games, which simulates the effect of audio arriving at your ears from different directions and distances to mimic the behavior of sound in real life. The Platinum Wireless Headset brings 3D audio to PS4 games, making for incredibly immersive experiences.

At launch, Naughty Dog will be the first to incorporate 3D audio into a game with a patch for Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End. A variety of upcoming games will support 3D audio including MLB The Show 17, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, and Days Gone with more to come.

The team at Naughty Dog was excited to take advantage of this new technology to make Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End sound better than ever. Check out the video below to hear more about how 3D Audio brings new life to Nathan Drake’s adventures.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/12/14/platinum-wireless-headset-launching-january-12/

How different are these compared to my Sony Elite Headset from PS3 era? It also does 7.1 surround and noise cancelling.

I'm looking at this and wondering: how do you mute? My kids come round yelling and screaming at each other and that's exactly when I toggle mute on my AdjustR. Is there a base that connects to the controller?

I'm looking at this and wondering: how do you mute? My kids come round yelling and screaming at each other and that's exactly when I toggle mute on my AdjustR. Is there a base that connects to the controller?
On previous models there was a mute button... I imagine it still exists.

DavidDesu

No idea why they have hinges on these. Hardly makes them all that more portable when folded up and 99.9% of users won't be taking them out their house. So yeah I'd rather have a solid headband with no risk of failure. Sounds good though getting better 3D audio and better battery life.

How different are these compared to my Sony Elite Headset from PS3 era? It also does 7.1 surround and noise cancelling.

I would also like to know this.
Also, if anyone has both, how comfortable the platinums are in comparison. I love the elites but they start to get uncomfortable for me after 30 minutes of wearing them.

Edit: derp can't finish reading titles

Glix

My silver wired headset does 7.1, doesn't it? Only if you use the USB dongle though or something? Their PR doesn't make sense.

Also, I still would have to plug it into the VR wire??????????????????????? to use with VR? Geez Sony.

Paznos

After going through two gold headsets because of broken hinges I'll wait for a price drop and see how well people's headsets hold up.

-griffy-

Banned
So how is 3D audio any different from surround sound?

I've been thinking about getting something like this but would I be better getting a true surround headset or is virtual good enough?

Surround sound is a circle of audio around you. 3D audio is a sphere of audio around you.

I have the original stereo headset from back in 2011(!). With the battery having been used well and the fact this looks cool I may have to finally upgrade.

Any idea of price?

edit: nvm. Maybe worth adding to the op - $159.99

As a creative x7 owner, I am not terribly excited about this headset. However, I am eager to see 3D audio catch on. If it does, I'm hoping that Sony will license out this tech to 3rd party makers like Astro and Creative so eventually we can have the option of using or own headphones with high quality 3D audio decoders/processors.

Shin-Ra

I don't like closed-back headphones so I'd like a means to use my own, small processor box with wired headphone connection if necessary.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
My gold headset is still in great condition despite the chatter of poor build quality. May be time to upgrade.

Lan_97

This is confusing, 3D audio shouldn't require a new headset and is also independent of 7.1 virtual surround sound (which previous headsets also feature).

EDIT: On further thought, I guess it depends on how the 3D audio stream is produced and which ends handle what processing. Which in terms of PSVR, requires an external component for the audio.

Shin-Ra

The final decoding of the 3D sound needs to be specific to the characteristic of the headphones used so if they had a processor box (or eventually built 3D sound fully into the system) there'd need to be presets for different headphone types and then fine-tuning options.

Trogdor1123

Don't run out folks, the gold headsets was complete garbage construction wise. Wait to see how this one is first before going out.

I'd be so into these if I didn't get burnt by the Golds. I treated them so well after seeing what happened to other peoples sets and they still ended up cracking, falling apart, and having buttons stop working.

Un4

My Gold's headband is cracking like crazy so i need a new headset.
Can't decide if this is the one i should be going for or if there's another good option. It just have to be wireless and hassle free like the Golds.

BUYER BEWARE on Sony's Playstation-branded headsets. Nearly all of them (maybe all of them?) have terribly built hinges with bad design and cheap plastic parts that cause the headsets to break after regular use. My Pulse Elites have broken and I've been forced to slather rubber glue all over them to get them to be used still. Golds have the same issue.

Silver Headset:
81yZmociQpL._SL256_.jpg

Golds:

Pulse Elites:

Nobody should buy these until it's been confirmed that these will not suffer the same fate. As it stands, Sony has had a terrible track record on these so they should not be given the benefit of the doubt.

Gaz_RB

My Gold's headband is cracking like crazy so i need a new headset.
Can't decide if this is the one i should be going for or if there's another good option. It just have to be wireless and hassle free like the Golds.

I've had my Golds for a few years and they're doing the same thing you describe. However I will purchase the Platinums because I've yet to find something as easy to connect to both my PC and PS4. The wireless is too good to lose, even with the build quality concerns.

BUYER BEWARE on Sony's Playstation-branded headsets. Nearly all of them (maybe all of them?) have terribly built hinges with bad design and cheap plastic parts that cause the headsets to break after regular use. My Pulse Elites have broken and I've been forced to slather rubber glue all over them to get them to be used still. Golds have the same issue.

Silver Headset:
81yZmociQpL._SL256_.jpg

Golds:

Pulse Elites:

Nobody should buy these until it's been confirmed that these will not suffer the same fate. As it stands, Sony has had a terrible track record on these so they should not be given the benefit of the doubt.
Jesus.will wait for feedback on the new pair - hopefully they'll fix it.

xRaizen

I've had the Gold headsets since launch in 2014 and have only gone through two of them. My first pair broke after a year and a half of use, and the second is still going strong. Best part is I bought my second pair for only $40 last year when Target had the wrong discount on Black Friday for a couple hours ($60 off instead of $40).

I'll probably pick these up after my Golds break.

melos

If I could use this wirelessly with PSVR it would be day one for me. Will wait for reviews and price drop.

Fisty

Silver Headset:
81yZmociQpL._SL256_.jpg

Golds:

Pulse Elites:

Well the headband is metal on the Platinum so it shouldn't suffer the same fate as these

nikos

Been using the Gold headphones since they were released
if you take care of your things, they won't break
and have been happy with them. They seem to work better for gaming than other, higher quality headphones I have.

I'll jump on these for 3D Audio and, hopefully, a bit more comfort.

Top Bottom