• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Platinum Wireless Headset Launching January 12

Couleurs

BUYER BEWARE on Sony's Playstation-branded headsets. Nearly all of them (maybe all of them?) have terribly built hinges with bad design and cheap plastic parts that cause the headsets to break after regular use. My Pulse Elites have broken and I've been forced to slather rubber glue all over them to get them to be used still. Golds have the same issue.

Silver Headset:
81yZmociQpL._SL256_.jpg

Golds:

Pulse Elites:

Nobody should buy these until it's been confirmed that these will not suffer the same fate. As it stands, Sony has had a terrible track record on these so they should not be given the benefit of the doubt.

Yep, I went through several Golds because of that issue. I kept buying them since I still liked how they sounded for the price, but eventually said fuck it and stopped replacing them.

I'd love to try the platinum ones but I'll wait to see how they hold up for other people first.

styl3s

Been using the Gold headphones, usually at night, since they were released,
if you take care of your things, they won't break
and have been happy with them. They seem to work better for gaming than other, higher quality headphones I have.

I'll jump on these for 3D Audio and, hopefully, a bit more comfort.
There is an overwhelmingly amount of complaints towards the quality of the gold headphones. A cheaply built piece of shit is a cheaply built piece of shit no matter how good you take care of it.

I went through 2 pairs of the gold headphones and anytime they weren't on my head they were on a stand on top of a shelf.

mileS

BUYER BEWARE on Sony's Playstation-branded headsets. Nearly all of them (maybe all of them?) have terribly built hinges with bad design and cheap plastic parts that cause the headsets to break after regular use. My Pulse Elites have broken and I've been forced to slather rubber glue all over them to get them to be used still. Golds have the same issue.

Nobody should buy these until it's been confirmed that these will not suffer the same fate. As it stands, Sony has had a terrible track record on these so they should not be given the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not here to argue build quality or anything but this isn't where or how most of these headsets have been breaking. So you are kind of an odd case here. Most of the talk about the build quality or the headset breaking is centered around the plastic hinges that fold on each side.

And when this was first announced a month or two ago there was screens of the same type of hinges as the golds. Or at least it looked the same sadly. My golds are still in perfect condition because I never bend them and I lay them down/ put them on my head gentle every time. It would be nice to have a set that I don't have to baby but unless I'm remembering that screen wrong, it looks this isn't the one.

I may get this if it's £120 or less with a good build. Do have my original 7.1 PlayStation headsets. Still going well although the ear bud is peeling off

Un4

I'm not here to argue build quality or anything but this isn't where or how most of these headsets have been breaking. So you are kind of an odd case here. Most of the talk about the build quality or the headset breaking is centered around the plastic hinges that fold on each side.

And when this was first announced a month or two ago there was screens of the same type of hinges as the golds. Or at least it looked the same sadly. My golds are still in perfect condition because I never bend them and I lay them down/ put them on my head gentle every time. It would be nice to have a set that I don't have to baby but unless I'm remembering that screen wrong, it looks this isn't the one.

There are also numerous reports of cracks that start to appear in the headband. So the hinges aren't the only problem.

Hazanko

Banned
There are also numerous reports of cracks that start to appear in the headband. So the hinges aren't the only problem.

Yup, I've had two gold headsets. I was super careful and still got cracked hinges and slight crack on headband. Never getting a Sony one again.

I love my Golds. Had them since they were released. I can see where folks say they aren't built properly. The head band portion seems easily breakable if the ears are stretched out too far. I treat mine like they are my third kid. So far they have held up.

Fisty

So, for someone who doesn't plan on folding the headset ever, what would be a good way to reinforce the hell out of those hinges? Superglue? Some kind of splints?

LQX

Lets hope the build quality on these are better. Its ridiculous how shoddy the quality of their "gaming headsets" has been. They seemingly go for useless style rather than quality thus you have some great looking headphones that crack or break within months. I just do not get it as "gaming headsets" on average cost more than a lot of "headphones" that beat them in build quality and sound.

Tripolygon

Banned
So how is 3D audio any different from surround sound?

I've been thinking about getting something like this but would I be better getting a true surround headset or is virtual good enough?
Have you ever played VR Games? If yes then its pretty much same experience.

If not then 3D Audio is positional audio just like how we hear things in real life. You can tell where a sound is relatively coming from based on its spatial location relative to our position. Plus side is you don't need surround sound audio equipment to experience it, it is simulated just like in VR games and in general should only require a pair of regular headphones. Hopefully, there is no special processing hardware required, unlike PSVR.

Ambient80

The build quality on all the wire playstation wireless headsets were fucking garbage.
Yeah I have the Gold Wireless. They were ok at first, but they're practically falling apart now. The earpieces are super loose and the fabric that goes over the padding in the middle is basically totally torn off. I had only used them for about six months, too. They also disconnect frequently which is irritating cause I have to walk to the PS4 and unplug the little bluetooth stick and plug it back in. Def won't be buying Sony brand again unless I hear some great reviews and/or see some thoughts on their long-term durability.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I often lay down in my gold headsets so im not sure about this build quality issue.

Ambient80

Lets hope the build quality on these are better. Its ridiculous how shoddy the quality of their "gaming headsets" has been. They seemingly go for useless style rather than quality thus you have some great looking headphones that crack or break within months. I just do not get it as "gaming headsets" on average cost more than a lot of "headphones" that beat them in build quality and sound.

That could be said for just about everything labeled as "gaming". Chairs, headphones, routers, mice, keyboards, controllers... you name it."Gaming" in the product name is basically a 25%+ tax, but people eat it up.

So how is 3D audio any different from surround sound?

I've been thinking about getting something like this but would I be better getting a true surround headset or is virtual good enough?

I thought the same thing until using PSVR. The 3D audio is much more immersive and really seems to enclose you in sound everywhere, and directional audio seems to be way more accurate than just behind and to the side of you.

I'm a firm believer in it now.

Ogawa-san

Considering the PSVR FAQ says 3D audio is available for any stereo headphones, I'll take the 3D audio "feature" for this Platinum is just a buzzword.

I have Golds and have used them every day for about a year now, and they haven't broken yet, even though they feel like they will break at any second. Hopefully I don't jinx myself with this post.

Silver Headset:
81yZmociQpL._SL256_.jpg

Golds:

Pulse Elites:

This is truth.

jwk94

If you're using the PlayStation headsets, grab them from above the earcups. I had my PULSE headset fall apart from grabbing them by the earcups every time I wanted to put them on or take em off. After I figured this out, they've been going strong for two year and my Golds since the Fall of their launch year. This isn't a guaranteed fix, but it'll help for sure.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I guess I got lucky with my Golds as they haven't had the issues some had. I'm pretty protective of them and put them away when I'm not using them and in general don't tweak or mess with them too much. My original PS3 Elite headset did break but that was my fault. I say right on top of them and there was no saving them.

Silver Headset:
81yZmociQpL._SL256_.jpg

Golds:

Pulse Elites:

The photo of the golds are mine, and it's not even the hinges that had broken, it's literally the headset band. On the top in the middle, and numerous cracks on the sides, personally never had problems with the hinges, but the band itself broke on two of my golds.

Well the headband is metal on the Platinum so it shouldn't suffer the same fate as these

Yep, that's why I'm taking a chance with those platinum seeing how it was always the headband that I had problems with.

Fisty

Considering the PSVR FAQ says 3D audio is available for any stereo headphones, I'll take the 3D audio "feature" for this Platinum is just a buzzword.

That's because the 3D audio is processed by the VR breakout box and passes that through to whatever headphones you plug into the headset.

The 3D audio "feature" of these Platinums is that it supports 3D audio in non-VR games like Uncharted 4, as stated in the OP. Whether this audio is processed through the PS4 itself and could be available to all headsets, or the sound is processed through the USB dongle or some other form of breakout box, we don't know quite yet.

Rezae

Nope.

I had 2 pairs of Golds. Had cracks on the top plastic (seems fixed for this version), but also cracks on the side plastic areas, which are still there.

Alex

Haha, those same old hinges.

To be fair, most gaming headsets are built to break but those Golds were a special level of junk and were really overpriced considering the audio was below par and it also had like the worst mic I think I've ever used.

It's not wireless but if you want a solid headset without cobbling your own together, just get the Hyperx Clouds. Decent audio, decent mic, great build quality.

Gbraga

It'll be expensive as hell in my country, for sure, so I'm definitely waiting maybe a year to see how the build quality holds up before thinking about getting one.

Unless my current ones break before that, then I guess I'd just upgrade.

Unfortunately, I'll probably end up getting them early, then.

I love my Sony headsets, tried others but never liked them as much as the Sony ones. The build quality is complete garbage, though, and I wish I had one of every model except for the Silver because I liked to have multiple, instead of just "since it broke, might as well upgrade".

I even put them back to the original box after using, every single night. I take good care of my stuff, but they just break.

Head.spawn

If it's 3d audio similar to PSVR games... do you even need these special headphones to hear it? Wouldn't standard Stereo headphones work?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Looking forward to this, and I suppose I will continue to not play U4 until the 3D audio patch now...

My golds are still intact but I am so cautious with them given how prolific the problems are. Will sell them for one of these.

Somehow my Pulses have managed to not break on me yet, but glad to see Sony keeps iterating on their headphones. They work really well, and hopefully they finally managed to make a pair that doesn't break after regular use.

What pisses me off about Sony and the introduction of these Headsets.

1. Pulse Elites works on PS3 and PS4, but with one big fucking caveat and I hope they fix this dumb shit.

You can not load some if not the majority of the newer game apps onto the Pulse Elites on the PS4 companion app. They make games like DriveClub, Uncharted, Infamous,FarCry ect... they are not selectable in the app. That's some real fuck shit on part, trying to force the people to go out and buy the newer headsets, which only has "1" preset slot.

Hesh

I've had my Pulse Elites for over 3 years now and have managed not to crack or break them. The damn bands at the top squeeze my melon head by other than that they're quite nice. Then again I've had a Playstation 3D Monitor for 5 years now that never broke on me so maybe I've just been the luckiest Sony consumer imaginable since I've read countless reports of headsets cracking.

What pisses me off about Sony and the introduction of these Headsets.

1. Pulse Elites works on PS3 and PS4, but with one big fucking caveat and I hope they fix this dumb shit.

You can not load some if not the majority of the newer game apps onto the Pulse Elites on the PS4 companion app. They make games like DriveClub, Uncharted, Infamous,FarCry ect... they are not selectable in the app. That's some real fuck shit on part, trying to force the people to go out and buy the newer headsets, which only has "1" preset slot.

Yeah, I really didn't like how they phased out the Pulse elites like that because I really don't like the Golds and my PE's work just fine. I'll wait to see if I can get these Platinums on a discount if I get around to replacing my PE since 3D audio sounds nifty.

Loved the Pulse Elites despite them being a little heavy, and still liked the Platinum set even though it's cups weren't as cushy as the Pulse.

I've never had any of my PS headsets break on me either, and the only ones that creaked to me were the original Gold's for PS3.

Looking forward to these. Expecting them to be more comfy Pulse Elites with better mics and 3D audio, so sign me up.

Head.spawn

The Platinums are marketing 3D audio in non-VR games. The 3D audio on PSVR is handled by the VR breakout box

Gotcha. Thanks for the information; that's a shame really.

After that presentation AMD did with 3d audio all those years ago, I would've guessed every game would have native support for it by this point in time; yet every time I search for games implementing it I'm pulling up nothing. Bit of a letdown tbh.

LordofPwn

not sure how the 3d audio is only for the platinum headsets, should work for any stereo headphones unless the set is doing special audio processing. also i thought the last of us had 3d audio or was it just a special audio mix for headphones?

Fisty

not sure how the 3d audio is only for the platinum headsets, should work for any stereo headphones unless the set is doing special audio processing. also i thought the last of us had 3d audio or was it just a special audio mix for headphones?

I think that was just a special sound profile.

But yeah I'm not sure what is handling the processing, I could be the dongle itself (I haven't seen any pictures of it)

Tripolygon

Banned
The Platinums are marketing 3D audio in non-VR games. The 3D audio on PSVR is handled by the VR breakout box
Yes i know that, in fact look at the first post in this thread. My point was PSVR requires the breakout box because your head is being tracked when you move so the sound changes based on your head movement and position. However, this does not require any tracking, nor does it require a breakout box. Unless there is an Audio DSP in the headset or something that does some processing, in that case that's disappointing to hear.

With Microsoft bringing Dolby Atmos to games on Xbox One, one can only hope that Sony will allow its 3D audio to be used by game developers into the future...this would also suggest that the 3D audio would be available to all users with headphones, not just the wireless Platinum headset owners

Top Bottom