• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Platinum Wireless Headset Launching January 12

Vormund

So, for someone who doesn't plan on folding the headset ever, what would be a good way to reinforce the hell out of those hinges? Superglue? Some kind of splints?

I just wrapped black electrical tape around each side a few times.

I know someone else here got the metal band out of another pair of cheap headphones and reinforced it that way.

I'm curious about whether these will fit over the PSVR head strap any better than the Golds.

As an aside, I've had my Golds for 2 years and the hinges never broke (or anything else on them).

TalonJH

I'm curious about whether these will fit over the PSVR head strap any better than the Golds.

As an aside, I've had my Golds for 2 years and the hinges never broke (or anything else on them).

I was told that they were made with PSVR in mind but take that with a grain of salt.

I think I'm going to bite. I need a new set and 3D audio sounds like fun in Uncharted 4(which I still haven't played). If they crack, I'll give up on headsets because my head is obviously too big or something.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I have been using these:

dsc0420.jpg

For 6 years now and they don't have any significant damage outside the ear pads starting to deteriorate so either I got lucky having a good quality one or I know how to properly treat and handle my headsets.

The advent of 3D Audio (on PS4 at least) sounds like a step forward in the right direction so I guess I can finally upgrade my current headset for the Platinum Headset.

black070

I find it interesting Days Gone is listed as a title that will support 3D audio along with MLB and The Lost Legacy.. anyone else think that hints to a 2017 release ? That, or support for it is very, very limited. :p

Ogawa-san

For 6 years now and they don't have any significant damage outside the ear pads are starting to deteriorate so either I got lucky having a good quality one or I know how to properly treat and handle my headsets.
Pads starting to deteriorate after six years? My elite's pads, of the same material, became a flaky mess after a year :(

It ended up being why I stopped using it. I could sort of fix the cracks, but couldn't find find replacement pads anywhere.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'd buy one if the build quality was there. My Gold headset is cracked on the sides from regular use so I'm definitely wary of build quality on these since they seem to crack so easily.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
These look like the sony xtra bass bluetooth headphones. Does anyone know why the ps4 doesn't do bluetooth audio to headphones
IIRC it's because the PS4 controllers are connecting through Bluetooth. I could be wrong though.

TalonJH

I find it interesting Days Gone is listed as a title that will support 3D audio along with MLB and The Lost Legacy.. anyone else think that hints to a 2017 release ? That, or support for it is very, very limited. :p

I think Days Gone has been in development for a while so late 2017 wouldn't be surprising for me. Bend's last game was 2011.

GOOCHY

I'll probably be in for a pair of these. My Golds have held up pretty well but they're starting to develop stress fractures in the band at the sides. I have treated this headset super gently since I have heard all the horror stories about it breaking. It's probably been 2 years or so at this point that I have owned them.

I have been using these:

dsc0420.jpg

For 6 years now and they don't have any significant damage outside the ear pads starting to deteriorate so either I got lucky having a good quality one or I know how to properly treat and handle my headsets.

The advent of 3D Audio (on PS4 at least) sounds like a step forward in the right direction so I guess I can finally upgrade my current headset for the Platinum Headset.

same for me :) the ear pads are so deteriorating.

BBboy20

I have been using these:

dsc0420.jpg

same for me :) the ear pads are so deteriorating.
I've used it much more on my PC then on my PS3.

androvsky

I have been using these:

dsc0420.jpg

I've got that pair too, still solid. Only problem I have with the ear pads is a security sticker got stuck on it once, so there's a small bit missing. I've not been gentle with them either, they're just really solid headphones. They have excellent audio quality too, they'd be perfect if it weren't for the wifi interference issues... and if they had a 3.5mm jack so I could use it with PSVR. :( The virtual surround on them is garbage though, sounds more like an old stereo spatializer filter.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I have been using these:

dsc0420.jpg

Those are the only good wireless headphones sony has released. Mine are still going strong

My 'elite' headset is in pieces from light use....smh

charsace

Why would 3d audio be specific to just one headset? Not buying as the other headsets are way overpriced for the sound and build quality isn't good.

BigEmil

The headset showcases enhanced, highly positional 7.1 virtual surround sound powered by PlayStation’s proprietary 3D audio technology.
Sounds cool. Sony has a audio music division too so not surprised they have this stuff they have an expertise in.

Arsenic

BUYER BEWARE on Sony's Playstation-branded headsets.

Pulse Elites:

Nobody should buy these until it's been confirmed that these will not suffer the same fate. As it stands, Sony has had a terrible track record on these so they should not be given the benefit of the doubt.

My solution for the Pulse, at least, is zip ties around those parts. Pretty ridiculous that 10 cents provide better support than what was there originally.

I want a new headset too, but never going to buy any of them without a serious overall of their bands and hinges.

I have a pair of Audio-Technica headphones whose build quality is superb (comparatively) which leaves me puzzled how can Sony find difficulty in making a sturdy pair themselves.

EDIT

Now that I think of it, we should start a twitter storm spamming the execs at Sony (including Shu) with photos of failing PS headsets pleading to update the build quality. Makes zero sense to put some awesome tech to shoddy fucking headbands.

gold for ps4 are piece of shit. audio keeps dropping every few minutes, a lot of interference, even though my ps4 is very close to my headphone. tried changing wifi channel, nothing. piece of crap.

T_V_H

Amazing how some people blame customers for not taking care of their Gold headset, newsflash! The build quality is shit and always has been. Unnaceptable at 100-150€. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse but there is no need to defend that crap, you can get much better headphones at that price. Not to mention the sound isn't all that great either, IMHO.

Here's hoping that new ones are an improvement, seems like it's still plasticy and I'm allergic to plastic headphones. 3d sound sounds great on paper but most likely will be underwhelming like all virtual surround things have been in my oppinion. I don't like to sound negative but people should see the light and invest in to proper stereo headphones with a wide soundstage, no need for gimicks. :)

Can see the fact that it's an easy wireless solution for the Playstation, no getting around that.

Elios83

Mine has been shipped.
It should be here tomorrow with Gravity Rush 2.
Can't wait to try it with Uncharted 4, hopefully more games will support 3D audio in the future.

Unknown?

Mine has been shipped.
It should be here tomorrow with Gravity Rush 2.
Can't wait to try it with Uncharted 4, hopefully more games will support 3D audio in the future.
Are any upcoming games going to support 3D audio? Uncharted 4 should be incredible though!

tanooki27

the first PS4 headset was not worth the price. it's a bit of a scam, the Sony PS4 headphones, if you ask me. Sony branded doesn't equal great headphones. I returned the ones I got in 2014, bought some senns on sale and a super cheap headphone amp - it was a whole universe of difference in terms of audio quality

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
The reviews look decent enough if you dont currently own gaming headphones. If you already have a pair, it seems like youre better off saving money.

But since i dont have a dedicated pair for my ps4, Im going to get a pair. 25 bucks off at best buy w/ visa checkout.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Best buy still shows no release date for these. Been waiting since last week for my preorder to ship.

Today I went to one gamestop and they told me it wasnt out until the 27th. Dispite their website saying it's out now. I went to another gamestop, they said they had none in stock, and a 3rd gamestop sold me one. Go figure.

f@luS

More than a member.
When putting VSS do we need to put inhale audio to stereo or let to surround ?

I like vss but bass seems much lower with it.

Top Bottom