• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro. 4K TV mode vs 1080p TV mode and the benefits.

Ricker

'''Some games will detect a 4K res which means games may play in 4K with HDR enabled etc. 1080p games may play in 1080p with better textures, models, better framerate etc than the 4K mode.''

This doesnt make sense to me or is not explained well...

kaiiri

What i wanna know as i have a 4k bravia that does not have HDR.

Same boat. Got a Sony 4k before the HDR stuff. I'm very disappointed with the new uhd player but if my games at least could look noticeably better on my 4k non-HDR set I may still pull the trigger.

Might at least preorder and cancel. Hard to tell benefits without an actual 4k feed to see.

Niks

I said it in another thread but I think all devs/publishers need to release trailers showing the differences in modes they will have on the Neo and how they compare to the OG version of the game.

Its a tricky situation because the majority of players are on the OG platform, so if you show your game to run like shit compared to the new hardware, said people are going to be pissed.

Cant wait for the "GT sports runs like ass" on the original PS4 comments...

'''Some games will detect a 4K res which means games may play in 4K with HDR enabled etc. 1080p games may play in 1080p with better textures, models, better framerate etc than the 4K mode.''

Meaning 1080p will get higher quality assets and effects at a higher frame rate while 4k will get lower framerate and lower effects to be able to accomplish the resolution. Maybe im reading you reading something else wrong ;)

Ricker

Meaning 1080p will get higher quality assets and effects at a higher frame rate while 4k will get lower framerate and lower effects to be able to accomplish the resolution. Maybe im reading you reading something else wrong ;)

So 1080p sets are better then 4K sets now...4K will look better then 1080p,just like 1080 looked better then 720 and 720 better then 480,etc,etc,c'mon man...

ZoronMaro

Wouldn't that require a game to have two versions of every asset? Maybe with textures you could do that systematically, but for models I don't know how you would do that.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something I don't think most developers would create and include multiple versions of their assets in a game; game files are already really big.

So I am confused...and need clarification...what will an HDR enabled patch for the regular ps4 mean? What will it actually do for someone that has a 1080p tv?

wtd2009

I think sony really failed to show and speak up about the benefits of PS4 pro at 1080p. Most of their actual consumers are on 1080p sets, instead they focused on 4K.

Total fumble imo.

I get the feeling that there was a lot they wanted to say could be done with 1080p but felt that they couldn't promise at this point. Here's to hoping devs are interested in taking advantage despite not being required to.

Alienfan

A genuine question, I currently own a 720p 42inch Plasma - I've noticed 4K TVs are coming down in price significantly, but the OLED range is a bit pricy. Would you suggest I get one of the LCD 4K TVs or just a really good 1080p TV (maybe one with HDR)?

Bsigg12

A genuine question, I currently own a 720p 42inch Plasma - I've noticed 4K TVs are coming down in price significantly, but the OLED range is a bit pricy. Would you suggest I get one of the LCD 4K TVs or just a really good 1080p TV (maybe one with HDR)?

You will be hard pressed to find a 1080p TV with HDR. HDR was only really introduced with 4K sets, though I think the LG OLED displays might support at least HDR 10.

golem

I think it means its essentially up to the developer- theres no rules on how it should treat 1080p owners

Lone Wolf

So I am confused...and need clarification...what will an HDR enabled patch for the regular ps4 mean? What will it actually do for someone that has a 1080p tv?

It will do nothing for a 1080p TV. I still need clarification on how PS4 with its 1.4 HDMI will even support HDR. It is supposed to require HDMI 2.0a which is supposedly a hardware upgrade.

IMACOMPUTA

I always wondered why games didn't do stuff like this for 720p displays vs 1080p.
Any chance they'll include a 720p profile?

MS made the choice easy for me by putting their games on PC. I do wanna play the games at their best but this is gonna be a tough choice. Best to see how this plays out before pulling the trigger.

Z3M0G

I hope you can lock things in 1080 mode, so you get the graphical improvements, and allow your TV to upscale it to 4K... it almost sounds to me like you can't do this??

From what I've read Sony is actively enforcing the fact that games can't run better in 4K on PS4 Pro than they would in 1080p on OG PS4, so as not to "blur the line between generations" or whatever. Obviously GT Sports will probably run better on PS4 Pro in 1080p (except for MP) but them's the breaks.

Wouldn't that require a game to have two versions of every asset? Maybe with textures you could do that systematically, but for models I don't know how you would do that.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something I don't think most developers would create and include multiple versions of their assets in a game; game files are already really big.

I'm guessing it'll be more of a question of LOD scaling. Most current-gen games already have high-detail models but the engine lowers their complexity as you get farther away from them.

I imagine 1080p mode on PS4 Pro will enable devs to show you high-detail geometry further away than is currently the case.

Man all these threads make me wanna do is just wait till the next actual generation.

This gen is pissing me off, trying to sell me a 4K tv when I don't actually need one.

Can we just get games running perfectly in 1080p first or consoles that can actually run the resolution and a stable frame rate please.

Espada

My biggest concern is that most devs will just not bother with any enhancements to 1080p. If they don't require it, I don't see why many developers would spend money to make significant visual and performance improvements for 1080p users.

The wishywashy language around the benefits of the PS4Pro to those without a HDR equipped 4K display does not inspire me to spend $400 on their product.

Hazanko

Banned
Man all these threads make me wanna do is just wait till the next actual generation.

This gen is pissing me off, trying to sell me a 4K tv when I don't actually need one.

Can we just get games running perfectly in 1080p first or consoles that can actually run the resolution and a stable frame rate please.

Yeah, doesn't seem good performance is a thing they're going for, gotta sell those TVs! Im sure 4K HDR is nice but many users don't even seem to have HDR. I just think the push for 4K seems premature. I would've preferred a big push in 1080p graphics and performance for Pro and 4K focus with PS5. Instead the conference seemed a glorified TV advert. I think Scorpio seems in a better position for waiting, maybe 4K adoption will be higher. It also helps that it'll have a better CPU? I think that holds out hope for some better performance.

NXGamer

Yeah, I want them to be clearer on 1080p benefits because that is what I am looking at.
They all depend on a title by title basis.

Rise of the tomb raider has 3 modes with an unlocked 1080/mode and then a capped 30 better quality mode.

Second son patched also, and all titles have will have a supersampled option.

I would expect 1st party and key partners to have more. I am actively contacting parties now to gather as much information as possible.

bryanee

Its a tricky situation because the majority of players are on the OG platform, so if you show your game to run like shit compared to the new hardware, said people are going to be pissed.

Its going to happen regardless especially when Digital Foundry do their thing. Its best for them to get out of the gate with all consumers knowing the differences before a game launches.

Venom Fox

Banned
They all depend on a title by title basis.

Rise of the tomb raider has 3 modes with an unlocked 1080/mode and then a capped 30 better quality mode.

Second son patched also, and all titles have will have a supersampled option.

I would expect 1st party and key partners to have more. I am actively contacting parties now to gather as much information as possible.
Sweet! If you get anymore info please share it and I'll update the OP with it.

foxbeldin

Can't believe Sony isn't distributing OG/Pro comparisons like candy right now. Do they want people to upgrade or what?

laxu

Soo basically in the best case we see some PC settings trickle down to consoles? I'm all for that.

Based on this I really hope TVs come to the market that support adaptive sync over HDMI. Sounds like any PS4 Pro game that is going to run at 4K could use it.

Venom Fox

Banned
Soo basically in the best case we see some PC settings trickle down to consoles? I'm all for that.

Based on this I really hope TVs come to the market that support adaptive sync over HDMI. Sounds like any PS4 Pro game that is going to run at 4K could use it.
Looks like it yes. The modes are basically PC graphics settings with games like Paragon and For Honour getting environment improvements as well.

Also it was announced on the live panel that 1080p users will get super sampling!

liunli

Neo Member
The 4K detail will be lost if you sit far enough from the TV. I have a 4K TV and tested playing PC games @4K. It's much more appreciated on a PC then a console because console players sit on a couch, or like me play in the bed. I'm more interested in the improvements for 1080p.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

That's literally what the PS4 Pro is though.....

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Looks like it yes. The modes are basically PC graphics settings with games like Paragon and For Honour getting environment improvements as well.

Also it was announced on the live panel that 1080p users will get super sampling!

For all games, yes?

Top Bottom