• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Boost Test Video Compilation Thread

BigEmil

Some of these tests are not good enough to judge by eyeballing, we need actual FPS tests numbers for some to be sure more, wonder how we can do that ourselves.
Also sometimes the tests comparisons are not really identical in the first place

ghibli99

Some of these tests are not good enough to judge by eyeballing, we need actual FPS tests numbers for some to be sure more, wonder how we can do that ourselves.
Also sometimes the tests comparisons are not really identical in the first place
Yeah, I agree... I guess we'll just have to wait for DF to put out some better comparison vids. At least in an anecdotal way, it's good to hear about the improvements that are sometimes drastically better. I'm so glad Sony allowed this feature.

Elitist1945

That Until Dawn video made it look like it got a dramatic FPS increase. Is this actually the case? Anyone else tested it?

Symphonia

Banned
If I had the tools necessary to count and add the framerate, I would. I think DF pay top dollar to get those sort of tools, though, so unfortunately I can't.

Thanks! Awesome videos by the way
Thanks, just some I whipped up today.

That Until Dawn video made it look like it got a dramatic FPS increase. Is this actually the case? Anyone else tested it?
I was meant to do Until Dawn today but didn't get around to it. I can do one tomorrow.

Fisty

Just for laughs, could someone test Stardew Valley? I'm guessing that game would get wrecked lol. There was a lot of slowdown if you let grass go crazy towards the end of the year, but that was probably just engine issues

joeblow

No offense, but that point of view is a bit sad. If your own eyeballs aren't offended by the comparison, isn't that a GOOD thing? It means that, at least in these limited tests, the vanilla game hold up well.

Why rely on a website that gets its clicks in part by over-emphasizing a few dropped frames that send console warriors into a frenzy? It's that type of silliness that got The Last of Us Pro patch nerfed.

Symphonia

Banned
Overall, all the videos I recorded and posted today have left me greatly impressed by boost mode. Why something like this wasn't included with the Pro on launch is beyond me, but it's exactly what the console needs to perfect it. All the games I played ran smooth as fuck (even FC4, despite what that one member said) and felt fluid as fuck. I can't wait to try out other games.

NewDust

I just ran SOMA... And perfomance seemed fine? Only two hickups when a new area just loaded in. Are there any particular areas the drop perfomance (no spoilers, haven't played it yet)? Uploading the video right now.

Edit: here it is, https://youtu.be/di7-9sIV-fQ

Fisty

Overall, all the videos I recorded and posted today have left me greatly impressed by boost mode. Why something like this wasn't included with the Pro on launch is beyond me, but it's exactly what the console needs to perfect it. All the games I played ran smooth as fuck (even FC4, despite what that one member said) and felt fluid as fuck. I can't wait to try out other games.

Yeah it definitely bodes well for future "Pro" consoles. The precedent is set, so devs will be able to leave in headroom for early PS5 games so they won't need to patch the games for Pro modes, hopefully. I would love to see more "dynamic res/unlocked framerates" in early PS5 titles, so the PS5 Pro boosts it up as high as it can possibly go without devs needing to touch the code. This is what I predicted when I noticed MS started going for dynamic res and 60fps in some games, and that's a fantastic idea which could be a huge plus for Scorpio titles since that boost mode could push it out to max native res and locked 60fps.

I'm actually pretty surprised at the relative success this Boost mode is having, not very many failures/incompatible titles so far.

Gradly

Don't take my words for granted but I guess not, I just played a bit from episode 2 and didn't really feel it was far smoother than before

NewDust

Just for science sake, I decided to run one of the worst PSN titles, Albedo.

Boost mode on
Boost mode off

Still, doesn't really make for a better game...

JP

I don't have a video but I've played Garden Warfare 2 for a couple of hours or so which now seems to run at 1080/60 now. It ran well before but dropped frames when there was explosions and the like going off.

sun-drop

has anyone tested firewatch?

i had to stop playing on pro last week because the sluggishness of the experience was taking me out of the game

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just ran SOMA... And perfomance seemed fine? Only two hickups when a new area just loaded in. Are there any particular areas the drop perfomance (no spoilers, haven't played it yet)? Uploading the video right now.

Edit: here it is, https://youtu.be/di7-9sIV-fQ
SOMA's performance is hugely inconsistent. There was one section I played back near release that was single digits but then it was smooth when I reloaded a checkpoint. Have no idea what's up with that one. There's definitely some more variables with its performance that aren't clear. I wouldn't chalk up the reported issues exclusively to the Boost Mode without more tests.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
No video, but you can add Divinity: Original Sin splitscreen to the list. It wasn't too bad before, but it could get choppy if players were in different parts of the map or opening up their inventory. It's much smoother now.

Loading times seemed to be faster too. Used to check Twitter when they were going before, now I don't have time to open the app.

Here's an update of the GAF impressions list:

TOTAL GAMES: 90
GAMES WITH NO IMPROVEMENT SEEN: 12
GAMES REPORTED TO CRASH OR RUN WORSE: 5*

*Note that issues may be unrelated to Boost mode

GAME LIST
Albedo - Framerate improvements
Alien Isolation - Framerate improvements
Arcania - Framerate improvements
Assassin's Creed Black Flag - No visible improvements
Assassin's Creed Unity - Large framerate improvements
Assetto Corsa - Framerate improvements
Attack on Titan - Framerate improvements
Batman Arkham Knight - Framerate improvements
Batman The Telltale Series - Framerate still bad, may or may not be improved
Battlefield 4 - Framerate improvements
Battlefield Hardline - Framerate improvements
Bioshock Infinite - Framerate improvements
Bloodborne - Framerate improvements in the rare cases where it drops far, but little visible difference during regular gameplay. Much faster load times.
Broforce - Improved framerate, but still not smooth
Call of Duty Ghosts - Better hold to 60fps in multiplayer
Contrast - Framerate improvements
Costume Quest 2 - Framerate improvements
Dark Cloud 2 - No visible improvements
Darksiders 2 - Framerate improvements, tearing gone
Dark Souls III - Framerate improvements, still framepacing issues.
Daylight - Framerate improvements
Dead Island - Still stuttery, no visible improvement
Dead Rising 2 - Framerate improvements
Destiny - Framerate improvements during stress conditions. Slightly faster load times
Dishonored - Framerate improvements reported, but game was already extremely consistent 30fps
Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition - Framerate improvements in co-op. Faster load times
Dragon Age Inquisition - Maybe minor framerate improvements
Dragon Quest Builders - No visible improvement
Dragon Quest Heroes - Framerate improvements
Dragon Quest Heroes 2 - Framerate improvements
Driveclub - Framerate already locked 30fps, no improvement. Motion blur sometimes slightly improved.
Dying Light - Framerate possibly improved, but also report of added stuttering (may be due to db vsync popping between 30 and 60fps)
EDF 4.1 - Framerate improvements. Faster load times
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - Framerate improved, but still issues
The Evil Within - Framerate greatly improved, especially when not letterboxed. Faster load times
F1 2016 - Framerate improvements in stress conditions such as rain
Final Fantasy XIV - Improved framerate in populated zones
Furi - Framerate improvements, much less tearing
God Eater Resurrection - No visible improvements
Grand Theft Auto V - Improved framerate in city driving
Grow Home - Very stuttery, no visible improvements (possibly worse?)
Grow Up - Framerate slightly improved, but AA may be broken by boost
Homefront Revolution - Framerate improvements
Just Cause 3 - Framerate greatly improved, especially during explosive chaos.
Killzone Shadow Fall - Framerate improvements
Legend of Kay - Framerate improvements
LEGO Dimensions - Framerate improvements
Little Big Planet 3 - Framerate improvements
Lords of the Fallen - Framerate improvements, tearing much reduced
Mad Max - Framerate improvements
Marvel Ultimate Alliance - Framerate improvements. 60 vs 35-50 Faster loading times.
Mighty No. 9 - Framerate improvements
Mirrors Edge Catalyst - No visible improvements
Oddworld New and Tasty - Framerate improvements
One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 - Framerate improvements
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 - Framerate improvements
Project Cars - Framerate improvements, though still some issues in crowded wet conditions
Psychonauts - Still has framerate hitches like before. Faster load times
Pure Pool - Framerate improvements
Rainbow 6 Siege - Framerate greatly improved in uncapped Terrorist Hunt mode.
Resident Evil 5 - Framerate improvements
Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Framerate improvements, but also report of crashing
Rocket League - Possible framerate improvements?
Saints Row 4 - Framerate improvements, but still not consistent
Samurai Warriors 4 - Framerate improvements
Shadow Complex - No visible improvements
Shadow Warrior - Large framerate improvements
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Framerate improvements
Sleeping Dogs - Framerate improvements on foot, but still issues when moving quickly in cars
Slender: The Arrival - Added lighting errors
Sniper Elite III - Framerate improvements
Soma - Crashes, or sometimes runs inconsistently in boost mode
Star Ocean V: Integrity and Faithlessness - Framerate improvements
Star Wars Battlefront - Framerate improvements
Stories: The Path of Destinies - Framerate improvements
Street Fighter V - Faster load times
Table Top Racing - Framerate improvements
Tales from the Borderlands - No comparisons given
The Talos Principle - Framerate improvements
Tembo the Badass Elephant - Crashes. May be unrelated to boost mode
Tomb Raider - Framerate improvements
Trivial Pursuit Live - Still stuttery, no visible improvement
Tropico 5 - Framerate improvements with highly-developed land
Until Dawn - Framerate improvements
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - Framerate improvements
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate - Framerate improvements
War Thunder - Framerate improvements
Witcher 3 - Framerate improvements in previous problem areas. Much faster load times.
WWE 2K16 - Framerate improvements. Faster load times
Yakuza 0 - Framerate improvements, most tearing eliminated

I just tested Outlast and screen tearing is SEVERELY REDUCED!

The beginning where you're driving tears like crazy without boost mode, but with boost mode, it only tore ONCE during the whole drive

Just tried Killzone Shadowfall and the 30fps lock setting is actually broken with boost mode enabled.

It seems like 30fps lock doesn't actually lock the single player at 30fps while playing with boost mode on. That's weird. I wonder why that is.

Stoffinator

Having played Plants vs Zombies GW2 for some time, from what I can tell this is now running at a locked 1080/60. It ran well before but would stutter when there was a lot of alpha effects running simultaneously.

I can't say that it's going to be 100%1080/60 but it's looked really good on the couple of occasions that I've played it today.

I've played this a lot and certainly noticed a difference as well. Looked sharp and solid frame rate.

You really don't need any fancy tools... Open up any video editor, go to a section you know is stressing on a game, then advance the video 1 frame at a time and look for any repeated frames or tears.

It honestly shouldn't even take that long to do. You don't need any automation to look for this stuff.

Descapp

Neo Member
I tested Dark Souls II and in the most intensive areas like the gutter with all the torches lighted where it usually ran around 50 fps or worse you get now locked 60, so great news.

Top Bottom