• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps4 Pro discontinued

NullZ3r0

Banned
This makes no sense. Its the only last Gen system that can run next Gen games decently.

It would make sense to dump the base PS4 and drop the Pro to $299.

Last edited:
This makes no sense. Its the only last Gen system that can run next Gen games decently.

Pro doesn't run next gen games though. I have no idea what you are on about, next gen games run on PS5. Sony would make more sales with a $199 PS4. You are not even going to buy a $299 Pro, so why even suggest it? Because no one else would buy it either.

Not at all. Performance will suffer even more on base PS4 in the close future. That's definitely terrible for who won't go soon to the next gen and they should replace the PS4 slim with a PS4 pro slim for such people.
There is not going to be many new games left that will be build for PS4. So there is no point buying a Pro, especially if you haven't got the basic model to begin with.

I noticed that a lot of talk here supporting a Pro are talking about "upgrading" from the base model. But why even do that now when the Pro is superseded? The PS5 is the upgrade now. The people who don't own a PS4 yet would be happy to get a $199 superslim and then they can play all the classics they have missed out on so far.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
You have zero ps5 stock but u discontinue the only product there is available for the next 3 months.

So smart. So brilliant. No wonder i am a dirty peasant . I could never come up with a better idea
Lol if someone could not wait and bought new PS4 pro now.... Well

regawdless

Banned
Makes sense, standard PS4 for cheap, cut the Pro because there is not enough price difference to the 399 PS5. Everyone who wants more power than the PS4 will be pushed towards the PS5.

I liked my Pro a lot. It was a great update for me because the rather weak standard PS4 really wasn't enough after some years passed.

That jet engine noise level though. Nightmares.

Makes sense, you need a price gap for ps4-ps5 and its for people with kids or who dont really care that much. I work with 2 guys that have ps3's and dont want to buy anything newer.

They are not us.

AmuroChan

I could see Sony releasing a redesigned PS4 Pro with a smaller footprint and a quieter fan. Drop it down to $199 and they can probably sell another 10 million units globally.

sure it was noisy but I thought it worked very well.
It's sounds like an animal that's getting tortured. Just cringeworthy shit and something I actively try to avoid. If my headphones battery is too low, I'm a real miserable motherfucker cause then I have to hear this fucking thing whine all day.

Last edited:
It's sounds like an animal that's getting tortured. Just cringeworthy shit and something I actively try to avoid. If my headphones battery is too low, I'm a real miserable motherfucker cause then I have to hear this fucking thing whine all day.
Never bothered me while playing games. Only heard it during the 10 mins of a game loading in COD.

I don't know if this is true, but not a big deal. The Ps5 is out and the PS4 should enter that budget zone, with not really a place for the Pro.

Really enjoy my Pro and probably won't get rid of it, even though with the PS5 there's not much use for it. Mostly just keep it as the designated place for the VR games.

What a great system honestly. It was really up until this holiday season that I felt pretty much every game I played ran at a great to satisfactory level.

Last edited:
Never bothered me while playing games. Only heard it during the 10 mins of a game loading in COD.
It's comfortably above 60dB when playing Modern Warfare, God Of War, No Man's Sky and sometimes Division 2.
I also sit 5 feet away from my TV so it's very audible when playing with anything other than headphones.

S73v3

Banned
It's premium console at 399 in 2016. That was what you could have. And it prevents to play PS4 games at shitty fps or resolution in a 4k output. Has never been intended to substitute the base console (as the one X) but to use in 4k setup. I'm recently passed from a 22 " Samsung TV 1080p monitor to an 28" LG 4k HDR and man PS4 pro it's definitely worthy for such monitor.

Eh, still would have paid 100 more for an extra TF and 4 GB more ram.

And I still think Sony had the software pipeline to satisfy that premium. (For the masses tastes, not mine)

A 5.2 TF box with 12GB ram @ 499.99 in 2016 or even early 2017 with hzd would have been a better choice imho.

It's not like the pro was a total disaster, just a misfire. Fair price, just a mediocre offering.

ps4 pro is what the PS4 should have been imo. even if it was more, a base model like that would have been interesting to see the improvement over time. I remember even at the time I thought the PS4 really wasn't as good as a decent PC, but since I had no decent monitor I got a PS4. The PS5 though is an incredible deal to me. I was super disappointed the PS4 lacked any sort of BC.

Last edited:

They would sell more $199 PS4 Slims then $299 Pros with the PS5 being $399. People underestimate the amount of people that buy old consoles for cheap especially with as good of a library as the PS4 has.

People on gaming forums are not the main audience for consoles and are a small minority of people. People tend to forget that.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I liked the Pro. I know it wasn’t a true 4K machine and kind of half-assed but it provided good performance for the price, and was the best way to place some of the best looking games on console this gen. I think in terms of performance it held its own with the One X which was $100 more expensive and launched a year later.

They would sell more $199 PS4 Slims then $299 Pros with the PS5 being $399. People underestimate the amount of people that buy old consoles for cheap especially with as good of a library as the PS4 has.

People on gaming forums are not the main audience for consoles and are a small minority of people. People tend to forget that.

Right. The PS4 Pro was only about 20% of PS4s sold. Some of us keep saying this, but the vast majority of console buyers don’t give two shits about hardware power or specs. They want an affordable box that can play their games, and the base system can still do that.

I liked the Pro. I know it wasn’t a true 4K machine and kind of half-assed but it provided good performance for the price, and was the best way to place some of the best looking games on console this gen. I think in terms of performance it held its own with the One X which was $100 more expensive and launched a year later.

Right. The PS4 Pro was only about 20% of PS4s sold. Some of us keep saying this, but the vast majority of console buyers don’t give two shits about hardware power or specs. They want an affordable box that can play their games, and the base system can still do that.
Exactly. I believe the percentage is lower in Japan as well. Also people keep bringing up Cyberpunk, but Cyberpunk is not the norm. Look at Sony 1st party games on base PS4. They look great for the system they are on and most have pretty rock solid albeit 30fps framerates.

I think the Switch also proves the point as well. The Switch isn't even PS4 level and still outsells everything every single month, and sells roughly 10:1 in Japan. Not everybody cares about graphics, and hell a lot of people don't give a fuck about 60fps either because they aren't used to it.

Poordevil

I upgraded to the Pro after getting my first 4k hdr TV. I think it is a great console for running PS4 games! Never had issues with it being loud, and it is right in open, next to the TV. Ugly? It is exactly the same as a base PS4 except it has an additional tier, and is slightly bigger and beefier. I balked about getting one, thinking the cost would not be worth the upgrade, but I never regretted it. We were treated to games that were optimized for the console, and that had additional in game settings or options. It has noticable improvements in resolution and framerates over the base model too. I have no real problem sitting tight with the Pro until it becomes convenient to locate a PS5 at Best Buy or Amazon.

If I were a shareholder, I 'd want them to keep selling PS4 Pro's. The affordable gateway into the ecosystem.

But as a gamer, I'm glad they're shifting gears.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
Pro doesn't run next gen games though. I have no idea what you are on about, next gen games run on PS5. Sony would make more sales with a $199 PS4. You are not even going to buy a $299 Pro, so why even suggest it? Because no one else would buy it either.
You know what I meant. Horizon Forbidden West, etc will have to run on 2013 hardware instead of 2016 hardware. You really want these games held back by that old hardware?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don't get this either. They have said they plan to support PS4 for 2-3 more years. With the PS5 having such limited storage and if something happens to your PS4, being forced to move your entire library over to a console with limited storage capacity would absolutely suck.

I plan on using both consoles.

Exactly. I believe the percentage is lower in Japan as well.
Not at all. In Japan, that I think Is the only Country where se have solid numbers, the rapport Ps4 / Ps4 pro sold has been 3/ 1 in 2018 and minor of 2/1 in 2019 and 2020. The idea that the percentage of PsPro sold Is around 20 % , for what I know, Is based exclusively on a quote of a Sony rappresentative that Is quite old and not neccessarely any longer true

Last edited:
Given that the games I want on the PS5 can be played on the PS4, I'm not jumping ship just yet. However, I might do once they revealed the PS5 pro or something.

Jethalal

Banned
Because these that wants a PS4 today buys the base model and not Pro.
Price > half-backed system.
True, PRO never even made any sense TBH, it was more PS4.25 than PS4.5
More people would prefer slim as you said as I believe the patient budget gamers would pounce on it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Clickbaity video asking a question they don't know the answer to -> NeoGAF thread declaring the answer to that question they don't know in thread title -> Internet

regawdless

Banned
I'm very glad for the resolution and fps boost it delivered over base PS4. It saved the gen for me.

I hope we'll see a PS5 Pro in two years, I'd day one that thing.

Last edited:

Yuri Normus

Banned
wq7Gbxq.jpg

devilNprada

Fuck the PS4 Pro. It was so noisy, I regretted buying one straight away.

Ugly as hell too.

Got the 500 million edition..
Perfectly quiet and looks good too...
No regrets on spamming the refresh button all night to finally get a $900 bundle at gamestop...
For me that was really a good indicator of how these XSX and PS5 preorders would go!

aries_71

Microsoft did the same with OneX.

Somehow I feel like both mid-generation machines were not sufficiently exploited. A missed opportunity overall.

Top Bottom