• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PRO Game Impressions

dinoric

Banned
The difference is pretty noticeable to me

ps4
ps4_000.bmpwwj9e.jpg

pro
riseofthetombraider_35vk41.png

Is the Tomb Raider screenshot on the Pro running in 1080p enriched mode or in 4K mode?

PaNaMa

Banned
I'm not seeing the "HDR WOW" effect even in Ratchet n Clank. The game looks __incredible__ in 4K don't get me wrong, but HDR Mode seems to be nothing more than my PS4"automagically" cranking TV backlight to 20, and contrast to 100 -- settings I can alter myself, if I wanted.

So HDR games set my TV to "Torch Mode" - it seems more like a gimmick than anything amazing. Samsung 65JS8550 (2015) is what I'm using. I can hit menu on the TV, while it's in HDR mode, then drop backlight and contrast back to their normal levels and it just looks the way any game would without HDR enabled. I don't know, maybe my TV sucks or something.

Image clarity is amazing tho. And with a SSD, the Witcher 3 loads insanely fast. I'm pleased with the purchase. Will share BF1 experience when I get a chance to try it out.

Digital Foundry just ran an article that gives an overview of what various games are running in terms of Pro enhancements.
There are two infelicities to that article. First, it only covers games they've done full analysis videos or articles for, so functionally it's no better than a clickable list of links. It would be more useful to add bare-minimum res/effects/HDR info for games they haven't done a full dive on, to rapidly develop a more thorough and helpful list of upgrades. But they don't seem interested in doing that.

And second, the conclusion of the article is really strange.
Digital Foundry said:
In summary, PlayStation 4 Pro is a curious piece of hardware. At best, with titles like Ratchet and Clank, FIFA 17, Infinite Warfare and Rise of the Tomb Raider, we're looking at a machine capable of handing in a viable 4K gaming experience. Meanwhile, it's interesting to note just how many games are coming in with a 1440p framebuffer. When we built a PC with a GPU running to the PS4 Pro's graphics spec, this did seem to be the natural resolution for the hardware, but we didn't quite expect to see so many titles appear with this exact pixel count.
But only 3 of the 18 titles they cover in the article are at 1440p! The list has more games than that in native 4K, not even counting 2160c. Given that the list is also very far from exhaustive--it's about a third of all currently supported titles--concluding "Yep, we nailed it!" seems self-congratulatory at best, and straight-out misleading at worst.

Andrefpvs

Final Fantasy XV: I just got the game today. I've tried it on both my Pro and my OG PS4, and I'm not happy with the forced Pro mode on offer here so far. The frame pacing is abysmal. I made this video to illustrate the difference between PS4 and Pro - Lite mode. It's just panning the camera in the tutorial room, so no spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWPJJOXJYCQ

This was made on the 1.01 patch. It's even worse on the hi-res mode. Sony needs to hurry up and add a base PS4 mode to the Pro. Yes, I know the game isn't even released yet, but it still sucks that I have to play on my old PS4 for the optimal experience right now.

Holy shit, that is absolutely horrible. Is this worth making a new thread for?

Final Fantasy XV: I just got the game today. I've tried it on both my Pro and my OG PS4, and I'm not happy with the forced Pro mode on offer here so far. The frame pacing is abysmal. I made this video to illustrate the difference between PS4 and Pro - Lite mode. It's just panning the camera in the tutorial room, so no spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWPJJOXJYCQ

This was made on the 1.01 patch. It's even worse on the hi-res mode. Sony needs to hurry up and add a base PS4 mode to the Pro. Yes, I know the game isn't even released yet, but it still sucks that I have to play on my old PS4 for the optimal experience right now.

That is gross, please tell me there are going to drop another patch...

We already have a Pro thread.

Man a few people have posted this. The OT thread is filled with different types of questions and issues as well as impressions. ITs so huge that filtering for just impressions becomes a chore.

The intent is of this thread is just to be focused on impressions and performance of the games. I think it is different enough to warrant its own thread.

Uncharted 4: I'm thoroughly enjoying playing through this title again on the Pro. The enhanced resolution and HDR lighting are phenomenal and the game really is a masterclass in storytelling with a compelling cast of well-developed characters.

Dishonored 2: the game has the same pacing flaws as the original. For those who have the patience to dig beneath the surface, though, there's a lot of lore and obsessive attention to environmental story development to love here. On the Pro it has a nice, clean look that moves smoothly and showcases both the best and the worst of the artistic design without compromise. I never did try playing this on a standard PS4, but based on the problems people are experiencing on various PC configurations I'd say this is a solidly reliable way to enjoy what amounts to a love letter to the original Thief titles.

Ratchet and Clank: a spectacularly clean presentation gets even more polish. I haven't played much on the PS4 but what I have revisited is easily the closest thing to CGI quality visuals we've seen yet on a console.

The Witness: I'm looking forward to starting a full playthrough of this title. The 4K presentation is absolutely amazing. Shimmering of aliased edges are all but gone, and the already colorful world pops like nothing else in HDR.

MIA: Xcom 2 was on the list of titles Pro-enhanced at the console's launch and I just don't see it. There hasn't been a patch since the title shipped back in August and absolutely nothing hints at actually running on the hardware in Pro mode. I suspect there's a patch in the works but the developer hasn't said a thing to confirm it.

Not that I'm aware of. Post a link to the thread if you find it, but AFAIK there are only game-specific, 4K native, and Pro hardware threads. Otherwise this is just the definition of threadcrapping.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1310043&page=100000

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I have only played Infinite Warfare and UC4.

UC4 looks noticeably better than the standard PS4, HDR really gives the visuals an extra dimension. The Island and shipwreck sections are particularly stunning.

IW looks extremely sharp and runs super smoothly, easily the most graphically impressive CoD yet.

Man a few people have posted this. The OT thread is filled with different types of questions and issues as well as impressions. ITs so huge that filtering for just impressions becomes a chore.

The intent is of this thread is just to be focused on impressions and performance of the games. I think it is different enough to warrant its own thread.

No I think you just want your thread to stick which we all do. But this is redundant bro

Pandahammer

Neo Member
Of course it's hyperbolic. I'm pissed that they did something to mess it up. There's a 1.6k post thread on the official forum about the issue

https://forums.battlefield.com/en-us/discussion/31848/battlefield-1-on-ps4-pro-edit-1-04-patch-downgrade/p1

Dice are aware they said so I'm sure a patch is inbound.

I definatley have the downgrade bug with what looks like worse IQ and vastly noticeable performance loss compared to the previous patch which ran so smooth.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I got the pro after pumping so many hours into it on the og PS4. Silky smooth for the most part and absolutely gorgeous.

Now unfortunately it runs closer to how it ran on the PS4 and worse on some maps (Argonne Forrest)

The difference was instantly noticeable by both myself and the squad who were playing all night pre patch and straight away after the servers went up post patch.

Such a shame and I hope it's fixed soon.

Top Bottom