• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/Pro HDR + PSVR Verified Solutions

Is that Sewell splitter the one to get still? I got a PSVR during the Gamespot trade-in promotion debacle and I need to get a splitter before Uncharted comes out.

Is that Sewell splitter the one to get still? I got a PSVR during the Gamespot trade-in promotion debacle and I need to get a splitter before Uncharted comes out.

The Sewell switch seems to be the best option as far as convenience and price goes. Assuming access to the switch is not a problem in your entertainment unit. The splitter I use needs a power cycle, but the power board is actually more accessible in my setup.

Just make sure you're using your best and shortest cables you can in the connection between your PS4 and TV. I just nicked cables from other 1080P devices, and gave those cheaper cables.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The Sewell switch seems to be the best option as far as convenience and price goes. Assuming access to the switch is not a problem in your entertainment unit. The splitter I use needs a power cycle, but the power board is actually more accessible in my setup.

Just make sure you're using your best and shortest cables you can in the connection between your PS4 and TV. I just nicked cables from other 1080P devices, and gave those cheaper cables.

YES! I have one 25 foot HDMI cable from Sewell and that caused my Sewell switch to not work.

Murdamonk

YES! I have one 25 foot HDMI cable from Sewell and that caused my Sewell switch to not work.

In order for Sewell to work with a 25 ft HDMI cable, you will need the cable to be HDMI active (Redmere), i think.

I had similar issue when i had to split between the TV and the Projector. But with a HDMI active cable i had managed to make it work.

What length are we talking? I'm not above getting a couple of 3ft cables and feeding the thing to my receiver with them, since i think my current 18mbps cables are 6ft or so, but if that won't work I won't bother. It would just be easier to have that thing than keep having to swap the cable in the back of the PS4.

What length are we talking? I'm not above getting a couple of 3ft cables and feeding the thing to my receiver with them, since i think my current 18mbps cables are 6ft or so, but if that won't work I won't bother. It would just be easier to have that thing than keep having to swap the cable in the back of the PS4.

6ft is probably okay. I think I have around 9ft total across 2 cables. Always try with existing cables.

sorry to bump this up but is there any new solutions (or news about a HDR breakout box?)

You basically have switch, splitter, or cable coupler as an option to improve the ability to switch HDMI connection from TV to Breakout Box.

It really just comes down to which product/price you go for. Unfortunately, a lot of products were unclear on the exact standards supported, that's one of the main reasons why this thread exists.

Sewell actually updated their switch page to explicitly push the PSVR HDR angle.

wilflare

You basically have switch, splitter, or cable coupler as an option to improve the ability to switch HDMI connection from TV to Breakout Box.

It really just comes down to which product/price you go for. Unfortunately, a lot of products were unclear on the exact standards supported, that's one of the main reasons why this thread exists.

Sewell actually updated their switch page to explicitly push the PSVR HDR angle.

thanks! hmm but with most of the options, I'll need at least two inputs on my TV right? (one for PS4Pro HDR and another for PS4Pro PSVR)?

do the AmazonBasics cables work well?

Omerta

Quick question:

I'll be happy enough to use a coupler and switch cables when i need to.

Would the coupler itself have to be version 2.0 hdmi? I'm guessing it would...

thanks! hmm but with most of the options, I'll need at least two inputs on my TV right? (one for PS4Pro HDR and another for PS4Pro PSVR)?

do the AmazonBasics cables work well?

Well as far as inputs, that depends on whether you need the Social screen functionality.
The Sewell Switch is a bi-directional switch, meaning you could* use 2 switches, with the breakout box between them. eg.
[PS4]----[1-2]<====[Breakout on one cable]===>[2-1]-----[TV]

*But the number of connections there is going to impact the signal. You will definitely want good quality and short cables to connect that all up.
I should also note that it is not verified that this actually works. If you can't afford the risk, a coupler may be the better way to go to serve your lone TV input.

Most people recommend Certified Premium Cables, but what I did was just use the HDMI cables from other standard 1080p devices, and replaced their cables with cheap ones.

Before I got a PS4 Pro, so with only a 1080p output, I actually just used cheap(but short) $3 cables with my splitter and they were fine.
I feel like paying for 'premium' cables is a slippery slope, and rife with scams.
I recommend trying cables you already own first, then if you can get it working, then you can replace the cables for those standard devices with any old cable.

Quick question:

I'll be happy enough to use a coupler and switch cables when i need to.

Would the coupler itself have to be version 2.0 hdmi? I'm guessing it would...

As far as I know, people here have just been using fairly standard cheap couplers, ~$4.

rinse82

Having issues with my Sewell setup - seems really finicky, like sometimes I need to unplug the power cable from the breakout box for the switch to work for the PS4 Pro --> TV option.

Must be handshake issues that might be cable related

Having issues with my Sewell setup - seems really finicky, like sometimes I need to unplug the power cable from the breakout box for the switch to work for the PS4 Pro --> TV option.

Must be handshake issues that might be cable related

Hmmm. That's strange. I wouldn't expect that with a switch. And I haven't heard of anyone else having that issue.

I have to power off the breakout box and power cycle the splitter I'm using, but that's a splitter where the HDMI connection connects all three points simultaneously. So power cycling is necessary to re-handshake.

I'd expect flicking the switch to re-establish the HDMI connection completely.

Edit: I contacted another member who is using the Sewell switch, and they've confirmed that the switch doesn't re-handshake on it's own. But the user resets their PS4 instead of the breakout box.

I wonder if there are switches out there that don't require this extra step...

aechris

I got an Ibis all set up today and it looked like it was working (video display info looked fine on the PS4), but then when I started to actually play something image and sound would drop out every 20 seconds or so. I'm using 3" AmazonBasics cables.

Any ideas?

I got an Ibis all set up today and it looked like it was working (video display info looked fine on the PS4), but then when I started to actually play something image and sound would drop out every 20 seconds or so. I'm using 3" AmazonBasics cables.
That's your answer.

Check the OP. There's information in there about how the AmazonBasics cables just can't seem to cut it.

Thanks to this thread, I've ordered an IBIS with Certified Premium High Speed cables for this setup. Fingers crossed it works for me. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new PSVR even if it's a minor annoyance. Cable switching wasn't going to cut it for me.

Thanks to this thread, I've ordered an IBIS with Certified Premium High Speed cables for this setup. Fingers crossed it works for me. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new PSVR even if it's a minor annoyance. Cable switching wasn't going to cut it for me.
The biggest gotcha I've found, and it bears repeating, is that the HDMI handshake needs to reset when going from the breakout box back to 4K+HDR. I always do a cold boot after switching back to my PS4 Pro's direct HDMI connection.

gameunit

Neo Member
Could not edit sorry. Ibis switch works perfect here. With rgb output. I was messing with the cables. Used all my short cables and presto! Signal remains stable. No black-outs yay!

eastx

Just ordered an IBIS Pro for my 2nd-gen PS Vr headset. I don't even need HDR; I just want to switch between Xbox One X and PS4 Pro with PS VR. I hope this will make that possible!

Top Bottom