• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro PR has been terrible

Sony: ...and it will have clear benefits for 1080p users.

Peeps: So this is just for 4K users? Bummer!

Sony: No, you will get better graphics even without a 4K TV, like improved image clarity, better shadows, more foliage, better framerates, depending on the game.

Peeps: But Sony hasn't told us anything about benefits for 1080p users! They only want to sell 4K TVs...

Sony: Here are some more examples of how games will look better on 1080p screens.

Peeps: So do Sony care about 1080p Pro users? If they don't, they need to say this is not for you and you should not have any expectations.

Sony: ...

It's so true, lol.

Melchiah

Sony: No, you will get better graphics even without a 4K TV, like improved image clarity, better shadows, more foliage, better framerates, depending on the game.

Peeps: But Sony hasn't told us anything about benefits for 1080p users! They only want to sell 4K TVs...

Sony: Here are some more examples of how games will look better on 1080p screens.

Peeps: So do Sony care about 1080p Pro users? If they don't, they need to say this is not for you and you should not have any expectations.

FW5YKkcl.jpg

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yeah. That is why I decided to wait and purchase Scorpio...Too much of the unknown. Can't be spending $400.

Must be a parody post. You know even less about what Scorpio will give you than Pro and who knows how much that will be.

Not to say Pro has been sold well by Sony, or for a lot of people that its worth the investment, i personally don't think so...but most of the issues with Pro will be present with Scorpio too. Especially if they use Jaguar again for the CPU, which they just might.

All Pro has said to me is that i should just wait for PS5 and do things how i otherwise would have done them had Pro not existed. Pro and Switch should serve me well for a while.

stilgar

Ooooohhh so it's because the customers are so mean. Always a good way of explaining things.

Pif

Banned
Now imagine the challenge Microsoft has with the Scorpio, coming from the lukewarm reception of their Xbox one.

These mid gen consoles are for the people who research and understand the difference.

GHG

What kind of improvements are you hoping for?Every new game going forward is going to show some improvement on a 1080 set. What's the bar?

Some downsampling to clean up the IQ and improvements in things like shadow resolution, draw distances, etc would be enough to persuade me to trade my OG ps4 in to be honest.

Kathian

Banned
Now imagine the challenge Microsoft has with the Scorpio, coming from the lukewarm reception of their Xbox one.

These mid gen consoles are for the people who research and understand the difference.

MS will launch it as a new device. It's going to be 'Xbox xyz' rather than 'Xbox one xyz'.

stilgar

Yes and no : people are used to revisions (slim etc)
It's just a new type of hw revision they have to market, something less obvious at first glance.

Hermii

I dont think the PR has been particularly bad, I just think its a niche, hard to market product. Its basicly a ps4 with better graphics and I think its a tough sell even on an enthusiast forum like gaf.

Edit: I think the Scorpio has the exact same problem.

Sony have done a poor job of showing the difference for 1080p owners. 4k and HDR is harder to show, unless you are there in person, so that's not exactly their fault but graphical improvements are easy to show.

The only thing I can really think of is, there's not much to show yet, as developers are still working on their games and are not ready to show them right now, because Sony have never been shy about showing off impressive graphics before.

We will probably get a bit more info in the next week or two, just before launch but it seems like they might be leaving it to the developers to show off their games and any improvements.

The fact it has a faster CPU clock and 2x more powerful GPU, can run games at higher native resolutions with great looking 4k upscaling + HDR + super-sampling (for 1080p) and pretty much every game will have some enhancements going forward, is a pretty good reason to get one, for me at least but I have a 4k TV, so it makes a little more sense I guess.

Some downsampling to clean up the IQ and improvements in things like shadow resolution, draw distances, etc would be enough to persuade me to trade my OG ps4 in to be honest.

I think you're golden so.

You'll get downsampling or the rest and sometimes both.

Hopefully everything will be clearer by launch day.

Inuhanyou

Ooooohhh so it's because the customers are so mean. Always a good way of explaining things.

Its just the frustration that comes of people simply either not understanding basic concepts that goes with more powerful hardware, or just repeating ad nauseum the same stuff over and over.

Sony has said that you don't need a 4K TV to see any of this content including the 4K enabled content which should downsample automatically to lower res screens.

People seem to be expecting Sony to be responsible for explaining what individual devs will do with the hardware as well, when its up to those devs to decide how they want to exploit that power, if they do and make that known

Cyborg

Indeed, it has been and it is!
I went to a big retailer in The Netherlands but they didnt even knwo what the Pro was. WTF?

Kuldar

I dont think the PR has been particularly bad, I just think its a niche, hard to market product. Its basicly a ps4 with better graphics and I think its a tough sell even on an enthusiast forum like gaf..
What is strange is that in an enthusiast gamer's forum like NeoGAF, some people still have issues to understand what the PS4 Pro offers, even if there are multiple sources explaining it from Sony or developpers. Sony still have time to find a clear and simple way to explain it.

Latimer

Banned

Those slow ass consumers, how can Sony reach these keeds?

Yeah. That is why I decided to wait and purchase Scorpio...Too much of the unknown. Can't be spending $400.
Scorpio is almost certainly going to run into the exact same problem, however: since both Sony and Microsoft are going to be relying on developers to patch their old games, it's going to be unclear who will bother prior to launch.

Mokubba

This.

I don't know how hard it is for people to understand, especially us on this forum who consume gaming news like no other.

Kinda weird that some people on Gaf aren't as well informed but complain none the less. But for the average consumer, Sony could do some extra advertising.

I'm at the point where I have to believe people are either willingly staying ignorant or bashing the PS4P due to some sort of agenda. There's no other explanation after all the info that's been released.

I don't know how hard it is for people to understand, especially us on this forum who consume gaming news like no other.

You think Sony is only marketing the PS4 Pro towards NeoGAF users?

It's going to be very difficult for a kid to convince their parents to buy the PS4 Pro, if they already have a PS4.

doemaaan

To be honest, ever since that thread about whoever it was from SE saying they haven't been dedicating that much resources to the pro version of FFXV (at least not yet), i've lost a whole lot of interest. I'd still like the pro, but now I don't mind waiting weeks, if not months to decide whether or not I will buy one. I'm rocking a 1080p TV by the way. Gotta know if the pro will REALLY be worth it down the line. All this hearsay shit ain't cuttin it for me.

notaskwid

Unless the games sudenly become unplayable on OG model, there are literally 0 reasons for someone like me to upgrade. And I'm fine with that.

Inuhanyou

It's going to be very difficult for a kid to convince their parents to buy the PS4 Pro, if they already have a PS4.

Atleast with the 4K Blu ray drive, even if they dont even use it, they can convince the parents that the blu ray drive somehow makes it better as a purchase.

Of course then the point between the scorpio and the S becomes muddled as well.

Just upgrading based on power alone isn't enough, there have to be exclusive experiences, different games and such. This is what a generational leap in hardware offers, a clear differentiation.

I can see consumer confusion and general apathy if MS thought marginal hardware increases with slightly higher resolutions and settings running the same games would invest the public in any big way. I think it would have the opposite effect.

pswii60

I'm looking forward to my Pro arriving, because I'm looking forward to taking better advantage of my 4K OLED.

But OP is right, Sony seems to have been hell bent on downplaying Pro at every opportunity. It's almost as if there's internal politics on whether the console should exist at all.

Sony needs to stop messing around, and put their full weight behind it and start showing some clear differences. Bloodborne was a massive missed opportunity too, given the poor performance.

huh1678

Banned
I think PS4 Pro is a nice way to get into the world of playstation if you don't already have a PS4. For anybody else, scorpio is a good option.

Ehh I own a ps4 and am planning to upgrade to a pro. What can the Scorpio do for me? I don't buy blu-rays, I may buy 1-2 just to see the wow factor but not enough to justify having 4k playback currently with those $30 price tag. Not to mention games are such a big unknown for fall 2017 and 2018. Its not like the Scorpio promised 100% native 4k which is just inefficient use of power. Also how are they handling support for old games? We basically have no information. We just know it's more powerful.

I don't want to go into a list war but Sony's known future releases are quite compelling with 4k support and supersampling. I can't say the same for Microsoft for me imo

Inuhanyou

The PS4 Pro does not have a 4K Blu-Ray drive.

I'm taking about the Scorpio(and to a lesser extent the Xbox One S). Atleast on the Xbox side, the 4K blu ray drive gives some leverage as a value type purchase.

Just selling general power and other nebulous features is not a good look for those outside of the hardcore bubble, and even then, you still get those kind of people confused who really dont understand the concept of greater power and how it can be utilized.

For those people who don't own a PS4 right now, the Pro is a no brainer, especially after it lowers in price. But its going to be a very uphill climb for PS4 people who are already owning PS4s to upgrade.

big_z

I think it's obvious,the age of Sony is over....

sony gained a lot of good will by counter marketing against Microsoft early this gen but its starting to run out.

Im also with the people that will probably skip the pro and get scorpion instead or who knows maybe neither. Right now the Pro is too much of a half step at least from sonys marketing so far to make it worth the investment.

Yea it's been shit, Sony needs to try harder. I'm getting it for VR but outside the VR bump and improved visuals for some announced games I dunno anything about it. Their PR for the Pro is horrible. They need to give 99% of the gamers out there who don't own a UHD capable 4KTV a reason to buy it. I know that improved AA is what 1080p TV owners get for sure but other than that and some improved visuals here and there what are we gonna be getting.

I'm taking about the Scorpio(and to a lesser extent the Xbox One S). Atleast on the Xbox side, the 4K blu ray drive gives some leverage as a value type purchase.

Just selling general power and other nebulous features is not a good look for those outside of the hardcore bubble, and even then, you still get those kind of people confused who really dont understand the concept of greater power and how it can be utilized.

For those people who don't own a PS4 right now, the Pro is a no brainer, especially after it lowers in price. But its going to be a very uphill climb for PS4 people to upgrade.

Exactly. There's a lot of buts when buying a new hardware or a newer revision. "4K Blu-ray" would've made that purchase easier to swallow and reasonable to justify.

Seriously.

I'm glad this thread got me my daily dose of Concern™ though.

Inuhanyou

sony gained a lot of good will by counter marketing against Microsoft early this gen but its starting to run out.

Im also with the people that will probably skip the pro and get scorpion instead or who knows maybe neither. Right now the Pro is too much of a half step at least from sonys marketing so far to make it worth the investment.

I don't think good will factors much into whether or not an optional iterative upgrade is personally worth it to you or not. Why should it affect your good will if you choose not to buy it? They are counting on it not selling plenty of folks.

But the question alluding Sony seems to be, if the machine is so limited in audience, why bother with it with a GPU upgrade and CPU overclock at all instead of a Xbox One S like upgrade instead, just prioritizing 4K output/bluray and HDR.

Lionheart

Why would Sony even need to convince those parents? I think that may be the target audience with the lowest priority for this device.

You buy a Pro because you:

1. Own a 4k TV and want a games device to take advantage of it at a low price.
2. Already own a PS4 and want your games to look better.
3. Don't own a PS4 yet and think: hey for only $100 more I can get the latest / greatest, so why not?

Already own a PS4 and still buying PS4 games? Sony doesn't care so much if you don't buy a PS4 Pro.

For those people who don't own a PS4 right now, the Pro is a no brainer, especially after it lowers in price. But its going to be a very uphill climb for PS4 people who are already owning PS4s to upgrade.

Yes, although Scorpio will have an easier up-sell as the additional power will be much more noticeable.

Inuhanyou

Exactly. There's a lot of buts when buying a new hardware or a newer revision. "4K Blu-ray" would've made that purchase easier to swallow and reasonable to justify.

The hopeful scenario is, this response gives Sony some perspective on what not to do going forward in regards to marketing and general decision making.

Plum

I'm at the point where I have to believe people are either willingly staying ignorant or bashing the PS4P due to some sort of agenda. There's no other explanation after all the info that's been released.

I know exactly what the Pro will do for 4K and 1080p gamers. Doesn't mean I have to like it. The benefits to 1080p games are so small, varied and unmarketable and if you don't already have a 4K TV you'll have to spend at least £900 or so (even more if you want HDR) to get those benefits. It's also way uglier than the original when hardware revisions are supposed to improve looks.

Inuhanyou

Yes, although Scorpio will have an easier up-sell as the additional power will be much more noticeable.

I don't think that may be the case. If MS includes Jaguar in Scorpio(something that is still very possible), you basically relegate the machine to a Pro with a better GPU and more more ram.

Generally speaking, your still fighting with Pro over marginally higher resolutions and slightly better textures.

Guymelef

Here

Mass Effect Andromeda has two very different strategies. They have checkerboard for 4K and they have a separate mode for high quality graphics at 1080p."

The PlayStation®4 Pro version of KILLING FLOOR 2 features the following enhancements:
* 1800p checkboard rendering on 4K TV (3200x1800) optimized for 4K TVs
* Effectively supersampling and increased fps on HDTV
* Using additional memory to increased texture resolution to "Ultra Textures"

Elder Scrolls online:

1080p Enhanced Mode

- This includes all of the graphical features available on the original PlayStation®4, and also includes the following graphical enhancements:
- Ambient occlusion
- Water reflections
- Improved shadow fidelity

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

PS4 Pro with a 1080p display:

Super sampling anti-aliasing.

Paragon

Enhanced visual effects, procedural ground cover, higher scene complexity, greater texture fidelity, and dynamic reflections.

The Witness

PS4 Pro with a 4K display:

1440p resolution or possibly higher upscaled to 4K with a consistent 60 FPS. Text, menus, and other UI will be set at native 4K.

1080p resolution instead of 900p and increased antialiasing quality from 2x to 4x MSAA, while keeping a solid 60 FPS.

Kikorin

I think people know Pro will be for 4K users, or at least this is my impression.

Maybe Sony don't want to market it that much for 1080p improvements (if there are any? I've still not understand that point) because don't want to disappoint who already bought a standard PS4.

To be fair there were so many conflicting reports about Pro that it's easy to get lost. I consider myself tech savvy and only last week after reading the new Eurogamer article and some Cerny interviews I began to get clearer picture about Pro.

I think there will be a lot of disappointed people who buy Pro and find out that only a handful of select games will receive Pro updates. Sony really needs to repeat again and again, maybe even add disclaimers on packaging etc. that all your PS4 games will not look or run better UNLESS they receive a Pro patch.

Inuhanyou

I know exactly what the Pro will do for 4K and 1080p gamers. Doesn't mean I have to like it. The benefits to 1080p games are so small, varied and unmarketable and if you don't already have a 4K TV you'll have to spend at least £900 or so (even more if you want HDR) to get those benefits. It's also way uglier than the original when hardware revisions are supposed to improve looks.

I don't think the console's design factors into value.

I would argue that if you have a 1080p TV, your actually going to see way more benefit and improvement to your games than if you own a 4K television, as every game regardless of res will be downsampled to your screen in addition to the FPS or visual improvements, and on top of that, there are 1080p specific modes, and modes in between 1080p and 4K as well.

Lightning

Banned
I find the concept of the pro to be annoying and idiotic. Still think Sony should have just ridden things out with the standard PS4 lowering the price as they went along and put all this shit into ps5 when that time comes rather than creating this stupid divide in their own consumer base instead now people are looking at pro features to justify their money which is idiotic for me. Totally unnecessary.

Top Bottom