• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro PR has been terrible

Mr Swine

Banned
I think it will sell really well despite it having terrible and almost none coverage on the news and such. PS4 is the best selling console atm so...

Shane89

it's really that hard understanding that 1080p tv owner will benefit improved fps, graphics and vr?? damn...

In all fairness it's not an overly marketable product. Much like the new 3DS

The New 3DS is hard to market because there's nothing there to market, it's more powerful internals are essentially unused by everything by little a couple of games not yet released.

That is EXACTLY what I don't want the Pro to be. When you double the power of a console you should see the results. 4K or no 4K we're buying a 4tf games console, so show me what that can do.

I don't buy it being difficult to sell or communicate, just release comparison videos and screens.

Lucreto

They had their focus on VR for the past few weeks but hopefully this week or next week we will get a big focus on the Pro.

Even though there is no conference this week in Paris we might get some information on the Pro.

I hope for software bundles and developers actually come out and say if any of their past titles will get an update and what future titles will see an update.

Jimrpg

They really muddled the marketing message. I think people are going to be disenchanted with the PRO, because a good many games won't use the extra power. It might be one or two years before we regularly see games that look much better on the PRO. It's not like a PC where you can instantly get better results by playing through your older game catalogue.

Kieli

That it does not provide benefits to vanilla PS4 games is really stupid. Dunno why they went with two different GPUs tech-wise, but whatever. I'm no genius like Cerny.

I think that the reason why there is not much PR for it is that it's a product that is expected to sell itself.

I mean, the standard PS4 that everyone knew these past years is now gone and is being replaced by the Slim and the Pro.
Now, imagine the different kind of customers that will go looking online or in a store for a PS4, what will they see?
-The PS4 slim, affordable at $300, possibly bundled with 1 or 2 games, pretty much the console to get if you want to have a new console for the latest games for cheap.
-Or, once it's out, the Pro: a console that goes for just $100 over the Slim console, very likely a store staff (or product page for online buyers) will inform customers that it's more powerful, can output at higher resolution for those new fancy 4K TV's, etc. But that might not even be needed, the 'Pro' naming alone will bring the attention of your average customer.

Someone on a reveal thread mentioned it feels like an Apple naming scheme, it has an 'S', or in this case a 'Pro' on its name, so it must be better somehow. So, why not just get that one.

It doesn't really matter which one someone ends up buying, it's a sale for Sony anyway.

The New 3DS is hard to market because there's nothing there to market, it's more powerful internals are essentially unused by everything by little a couple of games not yet released.

That is EXACTLY what I don't want the Pro to be. When you double the power of a console you should see the results. 4K or no 4K we're buying a 4tf games console, so show me what that can do.

I don't buy it being difficult to sell or communicate, just release comparison videos and screens.
You'll see plenty of those videos around its release.

YouTube compression and lack of HDR will probably mean that people will complain about not seeing the difference.

leng jai

Put simply it's a faster version of the PS4. It's when people try to find it much faster or better it is that it begins to get vague.

It's a bit of a weird situation where it's worse for the enthusiasts because they usually do more research and want exact details. Casuals who are interested will just see it as a faster PS4 and buy it just because.

leeh

Will there be any benefits for 1080 on Scorpio?
We're probably going to see a mix of options like on the Pro. Either super sampling from 4k or enhanced 1080.

What would be great actually is a bit of both, an enhanced 1440p which is super sampled to 1080p.

daman824

So in other words you don't know anything and are just assuming that most developers won't include a mode that best takes advantage of 1080P? Other people are the ones telling people what to do with their money tho
What? The ps4 pro is being marketed as a 4k machine. Games running at higher resolutions is the biggest reason to own one. And outside of a select few games such as Tomb Raider, resolution is by far the largest difference between the ps4 and ps4 pro versions of games.

And you will not get all the same benifits of playing a game at 4k if you're playing that game on a 1080p TV.

Mind you, I think this is something Microsoft will have to deal with too.

Pennywise

Honestly I think they're betting on media impressions and word of mouth. The problem with 4K HDR is you can't really market the difference with 1080p. It's hard to see on regular screens. So why even try?

Sales will start slow, but as more people see the difference it makes, more people will upgrade to a Pro.

I expect loads of people to upgrade in the next year, just not right away..

I mean I agree that it's generally something hard to tell and OP is having an unecessary dilemma as waiting is also an option.

However, Sony could have prepared more material themselves.
I didn't expect alot from those devs that are in the middle of putting their finishing touches onto fall games like EA with BF or Titanfall and alot of others.
We get some information from them and the final results will be visible later, but especially older titles that are getting a patch could have been shown.
Their first party studios surely knew alot longer about the Pro and I doubt that they merely started working on those patches.
Therefore they could have provided some comparsions.

Or just release some material that others have seen, I mean we had that great Eurogamer article where they saw some material.

@OP
You should read that Eurogamer article, if you haven't done that yet.

Synless

I'm getting one so I don't have to play FFXV at 900p.
Exact reason I am getting it. I waited damn near a decade to play this game. I am playing the best version of it on the best console out there. I don't get the lack of marketing. There have been interviews, developers talking about changes, and a pretty clear message overall what it does.

Resolution is often going to be the only difference between ps4 pro and og ps4 versions of games. It's the only thing Sony actually forces developers to improve

You don't know yet. But downsampling or a resolution boost and a fps boost is enough for some.
I think most devs will do a bit more though.
I think some older games will just get the standard patch.

Fusebox

Banned
I agree that they have done a terrible job of upselling the benefits to 1080 owners. They're pushing 4K so hard.

Not as hard as MS. I usually instabuy Sony consoles but this time I'm thinking about 4k blurays in the future so I might keep the vanilla PS4 for gaming and get an Xbox Scorpio for media playback and as a bonus, more gaming.

Tagg9

What are you talking about? PSVR is a huge hit and it just came out.

Do we have any numbers to back that up? I love PSVR and have had tons of friends over to try it out, but I don't know of anyone else IRL that has one.

Also, the local stores still have a few Core bundles kicking around so it doesn't seem to be sold out at least. But I certainly hope it is doing well!

kobu

What? The ps4 pro is being marketed as a 4k machine. Games running at higher resolutions is the biggest reason to own one. And outside of a select few games such as Tomb Raider, resolution is by far the largest difference between the ps4 and ps4 pro versions of games.

And you will not get all the same benifits of playing a game at 4k if you're playing that game on a 1080p TV.

Mind you, I think this is something Microsoft will have to deal with too.

again you are assuming that most developers wont include a mode to best take advantage of a 1080p display.

Do we have any numbers to back that up? I love PSVR and have had tons of friends over to try it out, but I don't know of anyone else else IRL that has one.
We don't, but it's still selling out (or limited supply) everywhere. That's pretty good. Let's not derail the thread though, just because of the one weird remark I was replying to.

We're probably going to see a mix of options like on the Pro. Either super sampling from 4k or enhanced 1080.

What would be great actually is a bit of both, an enhanced 1440p which is super sampled to 1080p.

Honestly I think it should be largely standardised by Sony. "1080p games get 1440p sumpersampling + x y z" as a minimum with anything else the do wants to do optional... rather than everything optional.

It's certainly a muddled message,or one that they aren't putting across to well...yet anyway.I think it strangely resembles the Wii/Wii u situation... Hopefully they start to send out a clear message

GHG

Gold Member
I'm ok with my standard ps4 for now but if I see improvements for 1080p TV's then I just know the graphics whore in me will make me upgrade.

I'm just waiting to see what unfolds.

leeh

Honestly I think it should be largely standardised by Sony. "1080p games get 1440p sumpersampling + x y z" as a minimum with anything else the do wants to do optional... rather than everything optional.
Personally, my opinion on this stems from the actual results we start getting.

If the big-name games don't see many graphical benefits at 1440p, then I'd be more for enhanced 1080p. If not, then yeah, definitely.

I'm ok with my standard ps4 for now but if I see improvements for 1080p TV's then I just know the graphics whore in me will make me upgrade.

I'm just waiting to see what unfolds.

What kind of improvements are you hoping for?Every new game going forward is going to show some improvement on a 1080 set. What's the bar?

Exact reason I am getting it. I waited damn near a decade to play this game. I am playing the best version of it on the best console out there. I don't get the lack of marketing. There have been interviews, developers talking about changes, and a pretty clear message overall what it does.

Yup, agreed. Also count me as another really glad it'll be out in time for FFXV.

i imagine all the games shown at e3 next year will be demonstrated on the pro.

anothertech

I don't think the issue is that gamers don't know what it CAN do for 1080p displays. The info is out there with The Witness, Tomb Raider and a few others.

It's more an issue of not knowing what games WILL actually implement something noteworthy for the 1080p displays. It's a kind of suspension of belief that any games will actually have benefits for them if they don't hear official word, and the list of previously released games confirmed pro patches is quite small.

Even if Sony comes out next week and says "1080p display will get this, this and this possible upgrades!" The problem will still be there.

Some people seem to need a list of every upcoming game and the exact benefits pro will offer their 1080p display spelled out, and frankly that's just not going to happen.

I've seen nothing that indicates most of them wont but if you say so man

When you have mega selling semi first party titles like Bloodborne radio silent on the Pro it doesn't instill much confidence, especially when the entire thing is supposedly designed so that IQ upgrades are super quick and easy to code.

Planet

Sony: ...and it will have clear benefits for 1080p users.

Peeps: So this is just for 4K users? Bummer!

Sony: No, you will get better graphics even without a 4K TV, like improved image clarity, better shadows, more foliage, better framerates, depending on the game.

Peeps: But Sony hasn't told us anything about benefits for 1080p users! They only want to sell 4K TVs...

Sony: Here are some more examples of how games will look better on 1080p screens.

Peeps: So do Sony care about 1080p Pro users? If they don't, they need to say this is not for you and you should not have any expectations.

Sony: ...

hesido

I think PS4 Pro is a nice way to get into the world of playstation if you don't already have a PS4. For anybody else, scorpio is a good option.

Sony: ...and it will have clear benefits for 1080p users.

Peeps: So this is just for 4K users? Bummer!

Sony: No, you will get better graphics even without a 4K TV, like improved image clarity, better shadows, more foliage, better framerates, depending on the game.

Peeps: But Sony hasn't told us anything about benefits for 1080p users! They only want to sell 4K TVs...

Sony: Here are some more examples of how games will look better on 1080p screens.

Peeps: So do Sony care about 1080p Pro users? If they don't, they need to say this is not for you and you should not have any expectations.

Sony: ...

Ha ha, so true.

Thought your post was going to be the funniest one I read today til I spotted the one under it.

Lionheart

I look forward to how Sony is going to market the console to the masses. It's been a while since they've done a good PS4 ad campaign, I think, or I haven't been paying attention. Their first PS4 commercials seemed to be pretty effective.

kobu

When you have mega selling semi first party titles like Bloodborne radio silent on the Pro it doesn't instill much confidence, especially when the entire thing is supposedly designed so that IQ upgrades are super quick and easy to code.

I don't think a game from march 2015 from a developer currently working on 3+ projects not getting a pro patch is indicative of anything.

Top Bottom