• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro sold 65,194 units in Japan in its first 4 days (Famitsu)

pswii60

Japan is hardly a graphics-hungry market, so I didn't expect Pro to set it on fire. I think it's a respectable number considering.

JordanN

Banned
Is this good or bad news for sony

The PS4 Pro is just a graphics upgrade. When I look at some or a lot of PS4 Japanese titles, they still look like PS3 titles in proper HD.

So I don't think it matters much how it sells. Will these games just raise their resolution to 4K?

Seems pretty good. PS4 is doing better overall in Japan than I expected in this generation so far.

Edit**

Why are people bringing up the PS3 slim as a comparison t the PS4 Pro when the actual PS4 Slim just released recently? That is not exactly a fair comparison. There really is no comparison for this console.

Kathian

Banned
Seems very poor. Especially with the decent sales we've seen on the normal model recently.

Though similar to the UK sales rise for PS4 at 200%. If the legs aren't there and the Slim is more popular I think this will struggle which is not great news for support.

Seems very poor. Especially with the decent sales we've seen on the normal model recently.

I think more than anything the main take away is its quite a bit below even the Slim launch, which frankly hasn't been performing great internationally.

That said I think the Slim will do better in Japan than the Pro compared to what we will see in NA. I think there will be a bigger gap there. Still yeah, not blown away by the launch so far.

Occam

This is a good number as a launch number but I don't think it's going to be much of a start at all. Keep in mind that in the first 4 days, 46,492 units of PSVR was sold just a month ago. I wouldn't be surprised if pretty much all those VR early adopters also got a Pro. When you think about it like, I think it makes more sense why they managed to have a good bump - because the system isn't just seen as a mid-cycle upgrade, but an essential upgrade for those who are interested in getting the most out of PSVR. Outside of that I don't expect the Pro to be the popular choice moving forward, especially with the FFXV LE Slim coming in a week's time.

That's a good point. PS4 Pro was always meant to be a choice for enthusiasts, not the masses. Let's see where it goes from here.

I think more than anything the main take away is its quite a bit below even the Slim launch, which frankly hasn't been performing great internationally.

That said I think the Slim will do better in Japan than the Pro compared to what we will see in NA. I think there will be a bigger gap there. Still yeah, not blown away by the launch so far.

The slim has been performing okay internationally at least for the market we have numbers for .
The slim will do better every where else not only in Japan .
Come black Friday and xmas the pro going to be $150 more and not bundle with anything .

The slim has been performing okay internationally at least for the market we have numbers for .
The slim will do better every where else not only in Japan .
Come black Friday and xmas the pro going to be $150 more and not bundle with anything .

Oh its been alright, I'm not trying to proclaim doom or anything. But the last several months the Xbone has been outselling the PS4 in several of the Western territories including USA, UK, and Australia. A common theme has been that the Pro has been eating up all the sales for the last few months, but judging from the launch numbers we have so far this doesn't really seem to be the case.

Pro is performing ok, not trying to bash it, but I don't think its a runaway success either. Kinda just steady. It'll be interesting to see how the next several weeks / months shake out on its performance

How are comparative current sales? They are selling three different consoles at the same time after all. I'd imagine they are cannibalizing each other to a degree, especially considering the holiday deals for the standard PS4. (Not expecting it to come close to the standard PS4 at any point).

jonno394

Based on the assumption that a)Japanese homes/apartments are smaller than most in the west so big 4K TVs are probably lower in number and b)Home consoles are dying in Japan, I'd wager Sony aren't expecting the Pro to sell gangbusters in Japan, and the west is their primary focus.

How are comparative current sales? They are selling three different consoles at the same time after all. I'd imagine they are cannibalizing each other to a degree, especially considering the holiday deals for the standard PS4. (Not expecting it to come close to the standard PS4 at any point).
I am sure the OG PS4 is discontinued and now they only sell the Slim + the new Pro.

Ferr986

I expected less tbh. The Pro is more expensive, is way bigger than a Slim and it seems like japanese players doesn't care as much for graphics power.

It's going to be like this everywhere, the Pro is not going to sell big numbers. The average player doesn't need a Pro.

That's a good start. It's a premium priced console next to a cheaper standard version, that's message wasn't clear at the start. Also no big game dropped beside it. Now imagine if it launched with FFXV and the sales were only this. Then that wouldn't be great. On its own these a rather good sales.

The Slim launched after 2-3 weeks of PS4 shortages, you can't compare the two.

This is a pretty good number IMO, especially since SIEJA are pushing the Slim a hell of a lot more.

Piichan

Banned
Still more than I expected. I feel like they are pushing the Slim way more than the Pro here. When I talk about the "new" PS4 to people, their first assumption is that I'm talking about the Slim.

I managed to get my Pro on launch just by walking into the store and buying one, no pre-order. For PSVR it was quite different, had to wait 5 hours in line to get a pre-order lol.

Samaritan

Who could've guessed the console aimed at high-end consumers with the latest televisions didn't do great in Japan. I'm shocked. I expected those figures would've been lower, all things considered.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Interesting, I think there's little compelling reason to pick up one of these mid cycle upgrades at the moment which must be harming their sales - assuming I'm not the only one. I wonder how Microsoft will react to this, will they enable more bells and whistles for 1080p Scorpio players?

jjonez18

When did people start expecting the Pro to launch to similar numbers to the Slim? Especially in Japan of all places. Selling 2/3 of the slim's launch while also not tanking the total PS4 sales for 2 3 weeks is as much as you could have hoped for.

Did not know. So the standard PS4 is still essentially selling everywhere except Japan?

In Australia, you would be hard pressed to find a brand new OG PS4 now. On the flipside, OG Xbox One's are still about.

It just depends on how stuffed the inventory was with the old model.

LordKano

Besides the market definitely having declined in the past years, there was also the release of the Slim just two months ago, so the Pro is the second refresh in two months, which will definitely eat away at the sales numbers of Pro.

Yeah but even the Slim did half that, you have to combine PS4Slim and Pro to reach the PS3 Slim sales.

For 1080p owners is this really an upgrade at all? More downgrade imo and I'm not impressed.

Games running worse and the increased sharpness from downsampling is quite frankly, not even worth it imo. This is purely questionable due to peoples differing perception, tv size and how close they sit to their screen imo.

I feel like Sony has scammed the 1080p owners and this console is purely about 4k and HDR, regardless of what people think of the downsampling - my own fault, I know.

Question is, do Sony really give a fuck? Maybe time will tell but I aint feeling too confident a the moment that they do. Look at the low key announcement, the low key launch, the conflicting info on Pro Standards etc.

This looks more like a console for VR players and to get in the same ballpark as Scorpio for when it launches. Maybe then we'll see more improvements but will 1080p owners really be catered for? The only chance I see this happening is because all Microsofts games are gonna be scaled according to each hardware and potentially forcing Developers to do a bit more work...perhaps...

At the end of the day, it's cost me an extra £200 (£350 - £150 sale ps4) to play some games running worse than my son's original ps4.

Now I just need another £2k so I can get the KS8000 @ 65" so I can really appreciate my extra £200 investment.

For 1080p owners is this really an upgrade at all? More downgrade imo and I'm not impressed.

Games running worse and the increased sharpness from downsampling is quite frankly, not even worth it imo. This is purely questionable due to peoples differing perception, tv size and how close they sit to their screen imo.

I feel like Sony has scammed the 1080p owners and this console is purely about 4k and HDR, regardless of what people think of the downsampling - my own fault, I know.

Question is, do Sony really give a fuck? Maybe time will tell but I aint feeling too confident a the moment that they do. Look at the low key announcement, the low key launch, the conflicting info on Pro Standards etc.

This looks more like a console for VR players and to get in the same ballpark as Scorpio for when it launches. Maybe then we'll see more improvements but will 1080p owners really be catered for? The only chance I see this happening is because all Microsofts games are gonna be scaled according to each hardware and potentially forcing Developers to do a bit more work...perhaps...

At the end of the day, it's cost me an extra £200 (£350 - £150 sale ps4) to play some games running worse than my son's original ps4.

Now I just need another £2k so I can get the KS8000 @ 65" so I can really appreciate my extra £200 investment.

Scam? lol. this post is comical AF.

anyhow. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. You can get a pro, and later get a new tv and benefit from the console already being something you own.

Anyhow. Vote with your wallet.

Guymelef

Scam? lol. this post is comical AF.

anyhow. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. You can get a pro, and later get a new tv and benefit from the console already being something you own.

Anyhow. Vote with your wallet.

I really love this kind of post.
Watch Dogs drops 4 frames in a stress test --> console is shit
Battlefield improves 15-20fps and resoltution --> silence

Mung

As Sony said in their reveal, the slim will be the main model now, and will make up most of the sales. Obviously the Pro is targeted at the hardcore who make up the minority. Will be interesting to see the ratios going forward.

Top Bottom