• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro sold 65,194 units in Japan in its first 4 days (Famitsu)

Hedgey

Apple Bandai Pippin - 40K

Only 40k!?
Should have bought this when I had the chance.
10012915_10154011966875512_372891309_o.jpg

down 2 orth

I can't help but think that this number is the best you could expect from the Japanese market in its current state. Apparently most Japanese gamers aren't as interested in hardware power as Westerners are, and for god sakes, Amazon.co.jp is charging over $100 USD more than the suggested retail price with other competition price gouging as well.

PS4 slim has been selling ~30k per week. I guess with the PS4 pro included it can reach a ~35k baseline (PS4 PRO + PS4 Slim). That would be okay.

PS3 Slim sold 150,252 in 3 days.

Edit: Beaten.

You guys are mistaking a cheaper low-end console with a high-end console. PS4 Pro ain't for everyone, so the fact that it's selling 65k units is impressive when OG PS4 has been out for 3 years and is significantly cheaper compared to Pro.

Let's compare this with PS4 Slim as well.

hazey_flakes

Neo Member
PS4 Pro sold 65,194 consoles in Japan in the first 4 days after its release (Nov 10-13) according to Famitsu.

truncated.....

This is a better result than PS4 Pro had in the UK where it sold 42,000 in its first week.

Japan has twice the population.... I think pro has sold very well in the UK considering.

DKHF

Japan has twice the population.... I think pro has sold very well in the UK considering.
That's irrelevant considering how much the Japanese market for home console gaming has shrunk, both markets are comparable in size due to the immense decline in popularity in Japan.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its a combination of the Pro not being a new unit and the market being even less inclined to pick up refreshes now.

But luckily PS4 is still outpacing PS3

Also one thing to take in account is that Pro is actually more expensive in Japan than PS4 was at launch (45k yen vs 40k yen). Elsewhere it has same price as the launch PS4 had.

BigEmil

Japan don't care about lots of power and all Slim PS4 will remain stronger there cheaper and smaller consoles is what they like

Boke1879

I wonder in what world 65k for the launch of a new model is impressive.
It's mediocre. It's not bad or alarming but it's not good or satisfying either.
Japanese sales really got bad.

It's a premium console with and higher price in Japan. Things will normalize. I'm not expecting huge sales in japan

Honestly ? no its not logical . at least IMO. People pay 50$ and 100$ to get 1T or 2T hard disks. ( xbox one / PS4 )

The slim is 500Gb. for 300$. assuming its 1 T, its going to be 350$.

So basically you are only paying 50$ but you are getting much more value. heck. even at 100$. the pro is worth that much difference. its a future proof PS4 system for the upcoming games that will take advantage of the hardware.

All those games out right now while they look better than the slim, they are rushed for the release window. Give it some more time and the difference will be more obvious.

Of course to each has his own, but If I do not own a ps4, and I am in for a new playstation console, I will be honestly stupid to not pay extra 50$ /100$ (depends on what you stand in terms of HDD size price difference ) for a much better console.

Its also not applied for western games. the biggest game this holiday from the Japanese market will support a friggin 60 fps full HD . that alone for me is worth the 100$ considering I am big JRPG fan

as for your last comment about the lead. I am going to assume the pro will have the lead ( if the console isn't sold out )

its going to be fun watching the numbers early next year when both sku's are available.

Totally agree. In my opinion, Sony's pricing scheme is clearly geared towards selling the Pro. A $50 difference is just a very small quantity considering the upgrade you are getting.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say it's really a premium console when it's the same price as the original PS4 when it came out.

So pretty damned good for a mid gen refresh/new SKU.

Really? that seems pretty awful for a new system at launch week. That it didn't even match the Slim, makes it seem even weaker. I would have expected big numbers, closer to PS4 launch week, but I guess Sony basically Ghost launched this with basically no launch titles, and half-baked support. This really doesn't seem like the type of success that could make mid-gen console refreshes worthwhile.

Interfectum

Really? that seems pretty awful for a new system at launch week. That it didn't even match the Slim, makes it seem even weaker. I would have expected big numbers, closer to PS4 launch week, but I guess Sony basically Ghost launched this with basically no launch titles, and half-baked support. This really doesn't seem like the type of success that could make mid-gen console refreshes worthwhile.

Seems more an issue with your expectations than reality.

Elios83

Great sales.
It's a better result than what was done in UK with price premium (in Japan the Pro is not well priced,it's as if it costed 449$ here) and in a market that has struggled to embrace HD, let alone 4K HDR.
Sony can throw a party if this thing is able to keep a 10-15k weekly baseline on top of what the PS4 Slim usually sells.

Seems more an issue with your expectations than reality.

Is it though? If this thing can only do 65,000 on launch week, how long is it going to take for the install base to build into anything worthwhile that Japanese developers would find feasible to support? Perhaps if the Pro ends up doing steady numbers, and basically replacing or bolstering standard PS4 sales, then it could be a good thing in the long term, but this seems limp. If the Pro is basically the new PS4, how long is it going to take the Pro to reach 3,000,000 sales? at this rate, it seems almost never.

Interfectum

Is it though? If this thing can only do 65,000 on launch week, how long is it going to take for the install base to build into anything worthwhile for Japanese developers? Perhaps if the Pro ends up doing steady numbers, and basically replacing or bolstering standard PS4 sales, then it could be a good thing in the long term, but this seems limp. If the Pro is basically the new PS4, how long is it going to take the Pro to reach 3,000,000 sales? at this rate, it seems almost never.

The Pro is never going to get exclusive games. Sony has mandated that any PS4 game coming out has to have Pro features. Whether the system sells 3 million or 20 million it will be supported by every PS4 release going forward. It's also going to be the system of choice for anyone interested in VR. I wouldn't make this system be anymore than it's supposed to be. A PS4 with prettier visuals.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Matches up closely with the amount of PSVR units sold in the country.

Thats not really good. Kinda on the low side. Should be atleast 3 times that much.

You really can't expect that in 2016 Japan.

Maybe next when the floodgates finally open on mid to high-profile Japanese games.

(FFXV, maybe DQXI, Biohazard 7, Ryu ga Gotoku 6, Nioh, The Last Guardian, Tekken 7, Nier: Automata, Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD Remix, FFXII HD, Valkyria: Azure Revolution、Gravity Daze 2, Danganronpa 3, Gran Turismo Sport, etc.)

noobie

Banned
PS3 Slim sold 150,252 in 3 days.

Edit: Beaten.

But PS4 has 2 refreshed in less then 2 months apart. So i think this is a very rare case in home consoles so a comparison with PS3 Slim is not an apple to apple comparison. If we combine PS4 Slim + PS4 Pro its like 160k..

Fisty

This console goes against everything the Japanese gaming market stands for right now. I'm surprised it sold over 10k, honestly.

The Pro is never going to get exclusive games. Sony has mandated that any PS4 game coming out has to have Pro features. Whether the system sells 3 million or 20 million it will be supported by every PS4 release going forward. It's also going to be the system of choice for anyone interested in VR. I wouldn't make this system be anymore than it's supposed to be. A PS4 with prettier visuals.

Of course it will never get exclusives, but if Sony actually wants this thing to sell and be worthwhile, I think they really needed to launch it with some actual worthwhile support, and make some noise instead of just letting it flop out onto the market.

For example, why not make it an event, and have at least 2-3 brand new 1st party PS4/PS4 pro exclusives, along with great pro support, and some 3rd party games with Pro support there at launch day?

We will see how this pans out, I think it has definitely potential for good long-term sales, but launch numbers seem weak to me. I'm really curious to see how it does worldwide first month.

Top Bottom