• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro sold 65,194 units in Japan in its first 4 days (Famitsu)

The bump in revenue the Pro offers is insane. I'm sure it comes with a healthy profit margin as well. 29,970 yen to 44,970 yen is greater than the difference in the US of $299 to $399

Behlel

Really? that seems pretty awful for a new system at launch week. That it didn't even match the Slim, makes it seem even weaker. I would have expected big numbers, closer to PS4 launch week, but I guess Sony basically Ghost launched this with basically no launch titles, and half-baked support. This really doesn't seem like the type of success that could make mid-gen console refreshes worthwhile.
No launch titles? Did you realize that this is a PS4 and not a new system right? Your logic is totally wrong.

Boke1879

Thats not really good. Kinda on the low side. Should be atleast 3 times that much.

A note expensive unit in a dwindling console market in Japan? I think it will well and damn near helped the PS4 reach 100k in sales for the week.

Sony clearly knows the slim will be the main driver in unit sales. The Pro is billed as a premium device and something they can gain profit on as well. At some point the Pro will be sold for $300 and don't be shocked if in a year or two it becomes the defectors console.

Also the most important is thing. Whether it's a slim or a pro being sold. It's a sale for the PS4 family

Numbers seem alright for Japan.

UK might be a bit low but then you have to consider that the UK supports the Xbox consoles as well. On top of that you have incredible deals for the old Xbox One and Xbox One S is also an attractive new proposition and UK is probably around 7 million consoles sold compared to 3.6 million consoles sold in Japan, and that's with half the population.

New consoles usually are in the hundreds of thousands at launch but these mid-gen upgrade consoles are in the tens of thousands.

Kind of supports the general feeling of the likes of Kinda Funny games. Hardcore want full on fanfare for this new console but it just isn't going to happen. There's a huge disconnect in expectations.

Europe > US.

Yeah I guess so, but that's comparing a whole continent to a country.

Nonsense. In japan? Nope.

Numbers are good for a premium model in japan.

Jesus.... lmao

Yeah it's like a lot of people have zero knowledge about the Japanese market.

A country that doesn't even really care about home consoles anymore and then add onto it they don't even really care about high power PCs... Strikes one and two against a high power home console.

These have to be all upgraders, right? I mean, I can't imagine many Japanese gamers were holding out because the current model wasn't powerful enough.

The standard model sold the usual amount considering the past few weeks, so the fact that the Pro sold an extra 65k on top of that strikes me as being pretty good actually, at least for an upgrade model in a long-dwindling console market.

XV should a good few more units for those who want their Final Fantasy looking as fine as possible.

cakely

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Does this include digital

This was an underrated post.

For 1080p owners is this really an upgrade at all? More downgrade imo and I'm not impressed.

Games running worse and the increased sharpness from downsampling is quite frankly, not even worth it imo. This is purely questionable due to peoples differing perception, tv size and how close they sit to their screen imo.

I feel like Sony has scammed the 1080p owners and this console is purely about 4k and HDR, regardless of what people think of the downsampling - my own fault, I know.

Question is, do Sony really give a fuck? Maybe time will tell but I aint feeling too confident a the moment that they do. Look at the low key announcement, the low key launch, the conflicting info on Pro Standards etc.

This looks more like a console for VR players and to get in the same ballpark as Scorpio for when it launches. Maybe then we'll see more improvements but will 1080p owners really be catered for? The only chance I see this happening is because all Microsofts games are gonna be scaled according to each hardware and potentially forcing Developers to do a bit more work...perhaps...

At the end of the day, it's cost me an extra £200 (£350 - £150 sale ps4) to play some games running worse than my son's original ps4.

Now I just need another £2k so I can get the KS8000 @ 65" so I can really appreciate my extra £200 investment.

This was pure nonsense but I'm getting used to seeing stuff like it in literally every pro thread.

Watch this spin: it will outsell Xbox One Japan LTD in one week.
That's probably not even spin though man...X1 doesn't sell at all in Japan, I don't get it? It's a mobile country now, dominated mostly by Nintendo, and Sony has a little piece of the pie with PS3/PS4/PSV.

The only thing interesting is how well Switch will sell there and if Sony does another handheld because of it.

meerak

Isn't that really good in Japan considering the price & target market? I wouldn't have assumed a number this high over there.

There's some pretty inane leaps of logic here and a real continuation of just complete and utter misunderstanding about what this console is. It's funny because everyone I've talked to who isn't big into gaming understands exactly what it is. It's the 6+ to the 6. Only the dedicated players are having mental meltdowns failing to put together what the Pro is supposed to be.

If you think the Pro is supposed to sell better than the Slim... maybe you should rethink everything you (don't) know about hardware. The Slim should be the leader in all markets going forward so far as PS4 skus go. By a significant margin at that.

Putty

A more expensive PS4 ....in the current Japanese gaming market.....selling 65k....in 4 days....is bad?! Which world do we live in again?

KtSlime

Not bad. Not great either.

WIll be interesting to see how big the FFXV bump will be for hardware sales

This is the FFXV bump. I don't expect it to be to giant a bump, unfortunately even if FFXV is great, and loved more than XIII The numbers likely won't show it here. It will be the lowest selling in the series in recent history.

No launch titles? Did you realize that this is a PS4 and not a new system right? Your logic is totally wrong.

They are marketing a new product, a product that has definite advantages and distinction from a standard PS4, and I certainly think it would have made a lot of sense, and made a greater impact, if it was launched alongside a slate of clearly advertised titles, clearly marked titles, that also clearly demonstrated the system's ability.

This type of mentality could have had greater impact in many ways. For example, look at the weak response to the PS4 Pro in reviews. Many of the more casual reviewers were hard pressed to even clearly see the advantages in the software, and my takeaway was generally, that support was all over the place, and overall, not that impressive overall (if most of your games library still doesn't support it, that's a bit of a bummer). Having very strong 1st-party support, right out of the gate, along with the 3rd party titles could have helped those reviews, and word of mouth a lot. It's also too bad Sony didn't mind ways to take advantage of all the extra power on older titles sans patch.

But yeah, it definitely seems like Sony thought differently, and is taking a more casual approach to this. At the end of the day, I'm sure they will sell, especially as the price drops, and more clearly advantageous software launches, but it feels like Sony is dropping the ball with the PS4 Pro in a lot of ways, and that makes me kind of sad. I love the idea of the mid-gen refresh, and I'd like to see it be successful.

Sesha

Seems about right. Japan doesn't care much about graphics, and won't jump on something like VR off the bat because the price and other reasons.

Boke1879

They are marketing a new product, a product that has definite advantages and distinction from a standard PS4, and I certainly think it would have made a lot of sense, and made a greater impact, if it was launched alongside a slate of clearly advertised titles, clearly marked titles, that also clearly demonstrated the system's ability.

This type of mentality could have had greater impact in many ways. For example, look at the weak response to the PS4 Pro in reviews. Many of the more casual reviewers were hard pressed to even clearly see the advantages in the software, and my takeaway was generally, that support was all over the place, and overall, not that impressive overall (if most of your games library still doesn't support it, that's a bit of a bummer). Having very strong 1st-party support, right out of the gate, along with the 3rd party titles could have helped those reviews, and word of mouth a lot. It's also too bad Sony didn't mind ways to take advantage of all the extra power on older titles sans patch.

But yeah, it definitely seems like Sony thought differently, and is taking a more casual approach to this. At the end of the day, I'm sure they will sell, especially as the price drops, and more clearly advantageous software launches, but it feels like Sony is dropping the ball with the PS4 Pro in a lot of ways, and that makes me kind of sad. I love the idea of the mid-gen refresh, and I'd like to see it be successful.

It's not going to get exclusive games. Games like BF1, TF2, Ratchet, COD etc look better on this thing period. Many people can see it.

Again this system isn't for everyone. That's what many people are failing to understand. You DON'T have to upgrade if you are perfectly fine with your PS4. You're still getting the same experience. Sony knows the Slim is going to be the most bought sku. Hell they are banking on it. cheaper price, bundled game, getting all the deal for BF. The Pro is literally for the person that looks over and says "eh for $100 more my games could look a bit prettier.".

Either way no matter which sku gets sold. It's a PS4 sale regardless. They make money regardless. The Pro over time will drop in price as well. Quite frankly I woulnd't be shocked if you saw Pro Horizon bundle next year AND a RDR Pro bundle next year.

Nameless

FFXV's launch will be telling. There's always a hardware bump around a new Final Fantasy and this will be the first gargantuan third party Japanese console game this generation not releasing on PS3. A lot of people will be taking the plunge, which way will they go?

Boke1879

FFXV's launch will be telling. There's always a hardware bump around a new Final Fantasy and this will be the first gargantuan third party Japanese console game this generation not releasing on PS3. A lot of people will be taking the plunge, which way will they go?

PS4 damn near sold 100k last week just based on the Pro launch. FFXV will be the next big spike imo

Elios83

PS4 damn near sold 100k last week just based on the Pro launch. FFXV will be the next big spike imo

Yes some people are failing to understand what the Pro is.
It's not a next gen platform, it is meant to add a premium option to the PS4 family to boost sales.
And it's what it did.
The Slim baseline seems to be 30k weekly in Japan, if the Pro could only add 10k to that it would be a big positive news for PS4.
Everyone who follows the Japanese market understands that these sales given the price and nature of the system were the best case scenario.
It did better there than in the UK!

For those saying its kinda flopping or is not doing so well, even with these numbers it is still sold out in many places here. Amazon, and the usual electronics retail stores have been sold out of their pre-orders since the announcement. Currently the only places I've seen them are re-sellers or smaller stores depending on the area.

Not 100% sold through obviously, but doing pretty well it seems for, like others said a luxury console when a cheaper alternative launched a bit before, and after a luxury ad on for current users dropped at almost a similar price (VR). This thing is quite freaking expensive here as well no matter how dedicated a console gamer you are. Talking almost 50,000 yen.

WarpathDC

This is a good number as a launch number but I don't think it's going to be much of a start at all. Keep in mind that in the first 4 days, 46,492 units of PSVR was sold just a month ago. I wouldn't be surprised if pretty much all those VR early adopters also got a Pro. When you think about it like, I think it makes more sense why they managed to have a good bump - because the system isn't just seen as a mid-cycle upgrade, but an essential upgrade for those who are interested in getting the most out of PSVR. Outside of that I don't expect the Pro to be the popular choice moving forward, especially with the FFXV LE Slim coming in a week's time.

IS PSVR selling well though? I don't know what the penetration rate is but as a PC VR consumer I can say yes, it is extremely demanding on the GPU so expect to see marked improvement on current and especially future PSVR titles

I wouldn't have released the slim and pro so close together. The body type of the slim looks very close to the pro. Easy to confuse which is which for the average consumer.

Top Bottom