• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Teardown

Dredd97

That's unfortunately not true - I got one yesterday and it's about as noisy as my launch PS4 unit.

really?

I was playing diablo 3 on mine last night, on my launch OG PS4 it was noisy.. not annoying, but you could here the fan..

on the pro, it was near silent.. reminded me of playing on the original Xbox one..

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I understand that. but is just one big fan enough to cool down everything?

Well the headsink is 30% bigger with copper now, the power draw is around the same than the release PS4..so I'd say it sounds great :)! I think sony really build a pro version of their console that is build to last. but of course I'm not an engineer and I only read about hardware as a hobby.

That's unfortunately not true - I got one yesterday and it's about as noisy as my launch PS4 unit.

not true for your unit, but true for mine.. way more silent than my release day ps4. I played the new FFXV Demo in Pro Mode and uncharted 4. I can only hear the pro if I turn off my sound bar. You should think about having it exchanged

Well the headsink is 30% bigger with copper now, the power draw is around the same than the release PS4..so I'd say it sounds great :)!

not true for your unit, but true for mine.. way more silent than my release day ps4. I played the new FFXV Demo in Pro Mode and uncharted 4. I can only hear the pro if I turn off my sound bar. You should think about having it exchanged

Nice. I heard many saying the PS4 PRO is quieter. I bet because it is more powerful thus doesn't need much efforts to run the games. The early adopters said that Uncharted 4 makes it a little louder though.

Btw I saw some third party external fans for PS4 in some stores. I don't know how they work. Are they good?

rafaelr

for the base ps4, sony used cooling fans from different manufacturers (Delta and Nidec) and in my experience the Delta fan was responsible for the noise (i tried 2 Delta fans and finally got my hand on a Nidec).
i´m wondering if something like that could be the reason for the ps4 pro´s different noise levels as well.

Theman2k

My launch PS4 was quiet, I barely heard it without gameplay even.

But my PRO is even more quiet !
It's so quiet I need to put my ear over it to hear anything at all.

Great job !

Would've been nice to have a commentary of what everything is and what has changed. Guess someone else will do that eventually.

jayu26

I will add to the "my Pro is very quiet" crowd. I had to stop and really listen for it. I hope that we find out why some units seem to be not so quiet.

To the people going back and forth over whether the Pro is quieter than the launch PS4, remember that people had this same conversation about the launch PS4 itself. My system, for example, made virtually no noise at all. Were it not for the LED, I would never know if my system was on or not.

It's apparent that people's experiences with noise are not uniform and I don't think we know why. This may very well be the case with the Pro as well.

Hanmik

when has it become a thing that the manufacture makes teardown themself? Its really awesome.

it is really awesome.

c96p9uU.png

Dunkley

That looks really, really nice, especially the APU. I like it!

when has it become a thing that the manufacture makes teardown themself? Its really awesome.

I mean they got something to brag about. I don't see it becoming standard fare tho since I don't think build quality will always be this nice, but I'm glad to be proven wrong.

Man I have to say tho this video had me legit shook, but just like one where they watercooled with milk and orange juice the result was surprising I admit.

//DEVIL//

I will add to the "my Pro is very quiet" crowd. I had to stop and really listen for it. I hope that we find out why some units seem to be not so quiet.

Yep. I'm stunned by how quiet it is.

Well the headsink is 30% bigger with copper now, the power draw is around the same than the release PS4..so I'd say it sounds great :)! I think sony really build a pro version of their console that is build to last. but of course I'm not an engineer and I only read about hardware as a hobby.

Let's hear it ? Make a video of you playing a demanding 60fps game and let me hear your quit ps4 pro with the TV on mute and you been playing few matches online.

It's NOT possible for any console or video card to be dead quite unless the fan is dead. Period

Let's hear it ? Make a video of you playing a demanding 60fps game and let me hear your quit ps4 pro with the TV on mute and you been playing few matches online.

It's NOT possible for any console or video card to be dead quite unless the fan is dead. Period

lol they're not saying it's a 100% silent

I'm a skeptic as well but get a grip

jett

D-Member
Sony Playstation just put op a video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euBlNq5kda0

That's some thorough stuff. You know what would be interesting, to see how all these parts are assembled at the actual factory line.

We have several units, two retail and one test. They are all very quiet in fact. Please don't post such comments if you have nothing of substance to contribute. :)

Well, let's see how those multiple units hold up noise-wise after a few months of use.

really?

I was playing diablo 3 on mine last night, on my launch OG PS4 it was noisy.. not annoying, but you could here the fan..

on the pro, it was near silent.. reminded me of playing on the original Xbox one..

Diablo 3 is not PS4 Pro supporting game - of course it will be quiet when console runs at 50% load.

Play something like Infamous or TLoU and use uncapped framerate mode and then see how quiet it is.

//DEVIL//

We have several units, two retail and one test. They are all very quiet in fact. Please don't post such comments if you have nothing of substance to contribute. :)

Would you share a video of how quite it's ? Play a 60 fps multiplayer game and put Tv on mute for like 30 minutes or so. Maybe it's quite compared to original first ps4 model ?
lol they're not saying it's a 100% silent

I'm a skeptic as well but get a grip

I am actually laughing. Not mad or anything . I just find these comments are funny

However. If they are indeed quite after a while of playing 60 fps game . Then by all means why not exchange our systems ? It's still under warranty :)

Excuse my bad phone mic but here is a video I did after 2 hours of cod remastered

https://youtu.be/W1PGwGGwSFM

Edit: I dunno the video I uploaded isn't even working for me lol

Zalusithix

Diablo 3 is not PS4 Pro supporting game - of course it will be quiet when console runs at 50% load.

Play something like Infamous or TLoU and use uncapped framerate mode and then see how quiet it is.

Did that last night. Much quieter than my launch PS4. I wont say silent as no console with active cooling is at the distance I am from them (a few feet away). I can see how somebody in a more traditional setup would think the Pro is silent though.

I'll also say that what noise it did make was lower in pitch too, so it was inherently less annoying.

Would you share a video of how quite it's ? Play a 60 fps multiplayer game and put Tv on mute for like 30 minutes or so. Maybe it's quite compared to original first ps4 model ?

This is it.

The pro isn't silent but I'm not exaggerating when I say my launch day PS4 would be comparable to a hairdryer when under heavy load. The reduction in noise on RoTR/PSVR games for me was dramatic. I put both on at the same time and the pro during RoTR (which was super loud on my OG) was lower than my launch one was just sitting on the XMB.

Rodin

Played Uncharted 4 and TLOU in 4K. The PS4 Pro isn't "noisy" at all.
Good for you.

Is this your personal experience with the Pro or are you going by some internet comments? Haven't seen a single GAFer who said it's noisy, everyone is very impressed by how quiet it is.
Yeah it is, my brother got it this morning and we tried a bunch of games. It's better than his D1 PS4 was, but i still find it annoying. On the other i find annoying the Wii U with a disc in, so...

About other gaffers saying it's noisy, here's one for you:
Mine is also noisy as well, I was expecting it almost silent and no way, very disappointed.

LordOfChaos

Hope die scans happen.

This will also put to bed anyone taking Cerny's "mirror the GPU" too literally and thinking there's two GPUs, it should have been obvious it was a doubling of CUs.

Copper heatsink core is nice to see. Still waiting on objective noise tests, anyone see one?

Edit: I like this video better, shows stuff better. Looks like three heat pipes through the heatsink too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg386lHY5Bk

vin-buc

Excuse my bad phone mic but here is a video I did after 2 hours of cod remastered

https://youtu.be/W1PGwGGwSFM

Edit: I dunno the video I uploaded isn't even working for me lol

Your console is really close to the back wall. With my OG PS4 (day 1) - the wall would get super hot which in turn means the PS4 has heat behind it (where it's supposed to be releasing it). The only thing that sucks is that the PS4 Pro is a little deeper than OG/Slim so it's harder to move it towards you and away from the wall.

Zalusithix

wow.

Makes me wonder how much quieter you could make it if you had a more traditional fan setup. Like in a cube case or something with a fan blowing through the heatsink rather than sideways. Big quiet noctua fan...hmm.

Not to be too pedantic, but this is a rather traditional cooling setup. It's just a blower fan design as opposed to an axial fan. They've both been used in cooling applications for ages and have their own sets of advantages and disadvantages. I mean, yes a larger case with a large axial fan and heatsink with lower fin density would be quieter, but if space was of no concern you could just make it even bigger with a huge passive heatsink.

Everything is a trade-off, especially in console land. Look how much mocking the size of the Xbox got. Need to balance performance and acoustics with marketable design and cost. For those that don't want compromises, there's the PC.

DieH@rd

Banned
Someone could pull the PSU out of Pro [and make a nice "brick" case for it] and put into its place watercooler setup. lol

Woxxi

I was wondering why Sony still uses this (loud) "blower" fan instead a quieter one like Microsoft on their xbox ?

Zalusithix

I was wondering why Sony still uses this (loud) "blower" fan instead a quieter one like Microsoft on their xbox ?

Size. Also, Microsoft's console had a lower TDP to begin with and didn't have to deal with the PSU until after the die shrink. Expect Scorpio to be louder.

Top Bottom