• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro: The Ultimate FAQ

Lime

Weird. The big thing with the PS4 at launch was the ability not having to connect online, no DRM, and so on.

?

It's not so much that you have to update, that's entirely understandable, but if it really is the case that old PS4 games simply won't benefit one single percent from the improved hardware.

Vaga

Ok guys, I asked Sid on Twitter about unpatched games and unfortunately, it sounds like they are indeed set to run just as they do on the standard PS4. Bummer, imo. Doesn't make sense for them to have this restriction.

Screen_Shot_2016_09_08_at_5_37_37_PM.png

With no dev intervention:
-game limited@30fps that runs flawless on PS4 will run the same on Pro.
-game limited@30fps that ocassionally dips below 30fps will perform better on Pro but not exceed the fps limit.

There is no reason why games should not benefit from Pro's higher clocks without any post-patches.

That sounds like great news for games like the DICE games or generally games which rely on dynamic resolution.

I guess that means if its a game that doesn't support pro features but is being run on a 4K TV, eg Battlefront, it goes something like this:

OG PS4 + 1080p TV = 900p resolution
PS4 Pro + 1080p TV = 1080p native
PS4 Pro + 4k TV = 1080p native but upscaled to a 4K resolution

is that about right ?

Also .. can't wait to see if CDPR does anything for Witcher 3 or just in general any improvements Witcher 3 might have running on a Pro .. and what it means for Cyberpunk 2077 going forward.

No.

According to DF, it seems the PS4 Pro is rendering at a resolution at about 1800p. And it's upscaling using software and hardware to 2160p (which is 4k). If the PS4 Pro was taking a native 1080p image and upscaling it to 2160p, that'd be stupid. Then they'd just apply those techniques to the original PS4 because most original PS4 games are 1080p native.

-game limited@30fps that ocassionally dips below 30fps will perform better on Pro but not exceed the fps limit.

There is no reason why games should not benefit from Pro's higher clocks without any post-patches.

Yeah, it would seem that much like the Xbox One S, games will have framerate improvements even if they aren't patched for it. So if it's unstable 30, Pro should make stable 30. If it's unstable 60, Pro should make it stable 60.

Again just by going on with what happens with the Xbox One S.

Necro900

Unless unpatched games run forced into a "compatibility" mode without using Pro's power.
I agree with you, but this "unpatched games will run as on OG PS4" thing has been reiterated multiple times, and it sure sounds like they don't want unpatched games to be different.

And that's weird, they wouldn't even have to do anything to have better playing games, I honestly don't know why they would do that. Can any tech savvy identify any compatibility issues that might arise on unlocked and unpatched games?

Vaga

Unless unpatched games run forced into a "compatibility" mode without using Pro's power.

That would be hardly the case given the fact that both systems share the same architecture. It's basically like running an old game on a new and faster PC.

Necro900

That would be hardly the case given the fact that both systems share the same architecture. It's basically like running an old game on a new and faster PC.

Another thread is debating on this, and it looks like this is the case :/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=216371662&postcount=67

Exactly what I feared, and apparently this was also in those early neo documentation leaks.
They must have their reasons, but hell, as you say, it's basically the same architecture. Weird.

One question that it isn't in the FAQ.

What about primary account? Would I been able to have a PS4 and a PS4 pro as primary?

Let's say I have two TVs and I want to keep my old PS4, I would really want to have both systems as primary, if that's not posible is a totally dick move from sony (one of the rooms doesn't have good wifi reception).

hesido

What about primary account? Would I been able to have a PS4 and a PS4 pro as primary?

Let's say I have two TVs and I want to keep my old PS4, I would really want to have both systems as primary, if that's not posible is a totally dick move from sony (one of the rooms doesn't have good wifi reception).

This is quite important to me as well.

Edit: Well I decided it's not imporant *to me* because I think I'll pass. But it's still an important question for the future of the platform.

Kuldar

Most important part:
Q: Outside of higher gaming performance, 4K TV features, and support for 4K video streaming, are there any other benefits to PS4 Pro?
Yes. PS4 Pro will come standard with a 1TB HDD, faster Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac), and a third USB 3.1 Gen.1 port on the rear of the unit. PS4 Pro’s more powerful hardware can also benefit PlayStation VR games, enhance streaming features such as Share Play and Remote Play, and enable higher resolution output for media captured using the Share button.
Fuck yeah !

Can someone please clear this up for me:

1- Will PS4 be able to use the PSVR?
2- Are 4K videos able to be streamed via the PS4 and/or PS4pro?

OCD Guy

I don't believe you can have one psn id set to primary on more than one Playstation 4.

You can have more than one primary on each console e.g a US and UK account both set to primary on the same console, but you couldn't have that US account on two playstations.

This was implemented no doubt to help reduce game sharing etc.

If I replaced my hard drive before for the OG PS4 to have a 2 TB can I just remove it and put it inside the new PS4 Pro without having to format it again?

Makeda

It would be great if Sony could allow us to plug in an external drive (ala Xbox / Wii U) as I'm pretty sure these 4K/HDR patches are going to be a rather large download.
In a similar vein it be great if all games come with the Pro enhancements on the disk rather than a separate download since those with slow internet or none at all are going to be potentially wasting their money buying a Pro when they cant achieve the level of content they were promised.

Lima

Hmm so the easiest way to upgrade from my standard ps4 with a 1TB Toshiba SSHD is to use the old slow ass backup system and then restore on the Pro? Damn might as well just delete all games and redownload them. That's faster even with the shitty PSN speed. I think last time I did the transfer thing it took over 5 hours.

PS4 supports PSVR 100%.
Good to know. I thought VR might be exclusive to the Pro.
4K videos as in streaming? They said the Netflix and Youtube apps will be updated to support it soon.
So it can stream and upscale in 4K, it's just that the Pro doesn't have a UHD reading lense/drive? I'm good with that.

I don't believe you can have one psn id set to primary on more than one Playstation 4.
I'm not sure, but I think you can have as many primary accounts as systems. I think it is attached to the hardware not cloud. So if you have 5 systems, you can have the same primary accounts on all of them. I had a PS3 before and now a PS4 and I don't remember any issue logging in or noticing any privileges notice.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Does anyone know what HDD does it use? 2.5? 3.5?

I have a 2TB HDD in my current PS4 and would like to use it on my PS4 Pro.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
PS4 pro seems to be doing wonders for 3d and vr games. Im curious what kind of benefits 2d games will gain. Since I assume most are designed for 1080p.

BumRush

I got a question

On GAF, will there be Pro specific threads in relation to games?

It sounds ridiculous but I have no intention of getting the Pro yet. I sit down. I'm looking forward to something like, say, Last Guardian. I open the OT and 75% of the posts are

"What about the Pro version"?

"When are we getting the Pro patch"

"The visuals are Ok on ps4 but lol Pro destroys it"

"Pro saves this game"

"Pro takes it to another level"

It's going to get annoying in many ways. I appreciate this type of comparative posting is nothing new and hell, friendly swipes between Xbone-Ps4 versions and vice versa are old as time, but this 'Pro' debate seeping into every thread...I've been a console gamer from many decades and ever since the 'imagine the Neo version' postings from months back started I saw it as probably something that would drive me away from these kind of boards to be honest (and I love you all :)

Dunno. Maybe the beer talking.

Equally I know PC game threads and gamers must get this all the time but that was one of the factors that deterred me over the years of getting into that arms race.

Wait until there is ps4, pro, one and Scorpio...

So if I'm getting a high end 4k/HDR screen, will I be forced into a 4K/30fps mode or can I select 1080p/60 or whatever advantage the game offers?

Q: Whatever I currently see on my 1080p tv non HDR when I watch movies of for example Horizon 4K HDR, is that rxactly how the game Will look at my tv once I play the game on PS4 pro?

This question have boggled my mind thr last couple of Days. Since I cant see 4K and HDR, but watching such movies, I guess thats how its going to look?? Or Will it even be better, how Does Youtube downscale 4k to 1080p? Here hoping what I see is exactly what I Will get

Lima

Because they are signed to the device using it currently. Just popping that in to a new PlayStation won't work. You need to use the transfer tool. Honestly just delete anything you don't play at the moment and the reinstall/re download. Faster than the fucking backup.

Patch Driveclub please. I want to play this as clean as photomode with some enhancements. Would make it the perfect go to driving game for me.
PS4 Pro seems like the ideal 1080p machine right now.

Deku Tree

So I have a 4K TV and a 4 year old receiver and I'm getting a PS4 Pro.

How can I output 4K to my TV and use my receiver? Do I have to send the HDMI to my TV and then send the Audio signal to my receiver from my PS4 Pro separately?

Lima

So I have a 4K TV and a 4 year old receiver and I'm getting a PS4 Pro.

How can I output 4K to my TV and use my receiver? Do I have to send the HDMI to my TV and then send the Audio signal to my receiver from my PS4 Pro separately?

Yes you would need to connect it via optical to get audio but that means you lose lossless audio.

Just get a new AV receiver.

CSX

Has Sony answered any questions about localized games having to follow the Pro mode support?

For example, a Japanese game that came out before the late September deadline does not require Pro mode support. However, if a publisher decides to localized it for a 2017 release date, will that game be considered a new game and require Pro Mode support when the original game didn't have it?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Patch Driveclub please. I want to play this as clean as photomode with some enhancements. Would make it the perfect go to driving game for me.
PS4 Pro seems like the ideal 1080p machine right now.

To be fair, i think Driveclub may even get to 60fps. Since they got the VR mode to 60 by mainly cutting graphical rendering features, if they wanted, they could probably put dynamic weather and everything back and just keep the fps

Unknown?

I agree with you, but this "unpatched games will run as on OG PS4" thing has been reiterated multiple times, and it sure sounds like they don't want unpatched games to be different.

And that's weird, they wouldn't even have to do anything to have better playing games, I honestly don't know why they would do that. Can any tech savvy identify any compatibility issues that might arise on unlocked and unpatched games?

If games like BF4 that run in 900p run 1080p without a patch I don't see why it won't also help frame rate. Can't wait to try out Battlefield 4 on the Pro. Will likely look much cleaner.

Top Bottom