• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro: The Ultimate FAQ

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
OP mentions TLOU:R will be enhanced on Pro.

anyone here has the details about that?? thanks in advance!

They go over it a bit in the latest digital foundry video, they go over it. It will support native 4K @ 30 FPS on pro including the refined shadows.

Jonboy

Ok guys, I asked Sid on Twitter about unpatched games and unfortunately, it sounds like they are indeed set to run just as they do on the standard PS4. Bummer, imo. Doesn't make sense for them to have this restriction.

Screen_Shot_2016_09_08_at_5_37_37_PM.png

So does the online games statement in this FAQ contradict what was said yesterday?

Will online games be restricted to the same framerates (it seems like most devs are going to improve resolution and detail before performance so far anyway unfortunately)?

I didn't understand the reasoning for the comments made yesterday when devs already support differences in performance on PC.

I think there was talk of it being native 4K, which is really cool.

I would guess that most games that are punching well below the base PS4's weight (indies, remasters, mid-tier games like what Gust/Idea Factory/etc. make) will do native 4K, simply because they easily can. It's the AAAs that will have to do the checkerboard thing.

rpg_fan

Any possibility that they put a slightly taller drive bay on this one? The 9 (or 9 1/2?)mm bay restricts the drive size a lot.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Ok guys, I asked Sid on Twitter about unpatched games and unfortunately, it sounds like they are indeed set to run just as they do on the standard PS4. Bummer, imo. Doesn't make sense for them to have this restriction.

I guess we will know for sure soon enough, but yea, hopefully there is an unlocked mode.

No reason not to have games with unlocked or unstable framerates get a boost on Pro. Just like many 360 games get smoothed out on XBO.

xion4360

I guess we will know for sure soon enough, but yea, hopefully there is an unlocked mode.

No reason not to have games with unlocked or unstable framerates get a boost on Pro. Just like many 360 games get smoothed out on XBO.

some games run better on the Xbox One S than the old XBO and this is with no interference whatsoever on the part of developers.. it simply has more power to work with and ends up producing slightly better results.. I dont see why that wouldnt work in a similar way with the pro.

vg260

What would be the best way to transfer content without having to re-download everything if you would be getting rid of your old PS4 before you had a Pro?

liquidtmd

Banned
I got a question

On GAF, will there be Pro specific threads in relation to games?

It sounds ridiculous but I have no intention of getting the Pro yet. I sit down. I'm looking forward to something like, say, Last Guardian. I open the OT and 75% of the posts are

"What about the Pro version"?

"When are we getting the Pro patch"

"The visuals are Ok on ps4 but lol Pro destroys it"

"Pro saves this game"

"Pro takes it to another level"

It's going to get annoying in many ways. I appreciate this type of comparative posting is nothing new and hell, friendly swipes between Xbone-Ps4 versions and vice versa are old as time, but this 'Pro' debate seeping into every thread...I've been a console gamer from many decades and ever since the 'imagine the Neo version' postings from months back started I saw it as probably something that would drive me away from these kind of boards to be honest (and I love you all :)

Dunno. Maybe the beer talking.

Equally I know PC game threads and gamers must get this all the time but that was one of the factors that deterred me over the years of getting into that arms race.

I got a question

It sounds ridiculous but I have no intention of getting the Pro yet. I sit down. I'm looking forward to something like, say, Last Guardian. I open the OT and 75% of the posts are

"Pro saves this game"

It's going to get annoying in many ways. I appreciate this type of comparative posting is nothing new and hell, friend swipes between Xbone-Ps4 versions and vice versa are old as time, but this 'Pro' debate seeping into every thread...I've been a console gamer from many decades and ever since the 'imagine the Neo version' postings from months back started I saw it as probably something that would drive me away from these kind of boards to be honest (and I love you all :)

Digital Foundry threads will be very active once this thing comes out.

hesido

What does Jeff Rigby make of all of this Sony lying about PS4 and PS4 pro not supporting UHD BluRays, while they actually do? (Kidding..)

If this doesn't put him to rest about it, I don't know what will.

I got a question

"Pro saves this game"

It's going to get annoying in many ways. I appreciate this type of comparative posting is nothing new and hell, friendly swipes between Xbone-Ps4 versions and vice versa are old as time, but this 'Pro' debate seeping into every thread...I've been a console gamer from many decades and ever since the 'imagine the Neo version' postings from months back started I saw it as probably something that would drive me away from these kind of boards to be honest (and I love you all :)

Equally I know PC game threads and gamers must get this all the time but that was one of the factors that deterred me over the years of getting into that arms race.

The worst ones are going to be the "this game was clearly designed around the Pro, this is a total slap in the face to base PS4 owners" complaints that happen every time the framerate drops.

Sorry if this has been addressed: Do we know what kind of harddrive will be in the Pro? Going to sell my PS4 and need to know if i should take out my 7200 1tb.

Sorry if this has been addressed: Do we know what kind of harddrive will be in the Pro? Going to sell my PS4 and need to know if i should take out my 7200 1tb.

Its 1 TB. Probably the same 5400 rpm the others have.

The worst ones are going to be the "this game was clearly designed around the Pro, this is a total slap in the face to base PS4 owners" complaints that happen every time the framerate drops.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccckkkkk

Grimalkin

I admit, this is my #1 fear. That devs are going to design for Pro/Scorpio and so long as it runs on the old PS4/Xbox, ship it.

The only comparison point we have right now is AAA games on PC, and most of them are at-best "meh" ports with poor optimization so I'm not feeling real positive about OG PS4/Xbox optimization going forward. You don't see much complaining about PC ports running like crap on GAF because most PC gamers here are running systems from 1-3 years old which can still run new games okay(ish) and just brute force the graphics and performance.

The other comparable data point that we have are games that bridged a new generation like Shadow of Mordor that has the real version on PS4 and what was basically unplayable crap on PS3 and that comparison doesn't fill me with confidence either.

I don't see any way around upgrading to the Pro/Scorpio if console gaming is one of your primary hobbies.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I admit, this is my #1 fear. That devs are going to design for Pro/Scorpio and so long as it runs on the old PS4/Xbox, ship it.

The only comparison point we have right now is AAA games on PC, and most of them are at-best "meh" ports with poor optimization so I'm not feeling real positive about OG PS4/Xbox optimization going forward. You don't see much complaining about PC ports running like crap on GAF because most PC gamers here are running systems from 1-3 years old which can still run new games okay(ish) and just brute force the graphics and performance.

The other comparable data point that we have are games that bridged a new generation like Shadow of Mordor that has the real version on PS4 and what was basically unplayable crap on PS3 and that comparison doesn't fill me with confidence either.

I don't see any way around upgrading to the Pro/Scorpio if console gaming is one of your primary hobbies.

NEO and Scorpio wont ever come close to PS4 and XB1's userbases. If Sony smartens up and cheapens the Slim price, NEO will never catch up with it.

higher framerates in multiplayer games would really be the only reason for me to get the playstation pro, i dont get why the dev think its unfair or anything when theres already stuff like
- scuf controllers
- mouse and keyboard adapters
- low inputlag gaming monitors
- dolby decoders with great stereo headphones
- gaming routers and high bandwidth connections

on PC having more frames with a better graphics card isnt something the devs do consider as unfair, so why would they on consoles?

if all the playstation pro does in multiplayer games is to increase the graphics on 1080p monitors then you might actually have an advantage playing on the regular playstation since additional graphic elements can make it harder to track targets
while its nice to play on ultra settings for a while you usually reduce the graphic level to a minimum shorty after to spot targets easier and faster

Mask

Hopefully I can just do a straight transfer of all my stuff from my normal PS4, since I still have PT and I ain't never losing that! Otherwise, looks like I'll have two PS4's :p

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I'm just imagining the FFXV comparison thread.
mjlol.png

Still have 2 questions after reading that FAQ.

1. Will it have full support of SSD's?

2. What is the decibels on this NEW console? or Will the fan be like a hair blow dryer?

oneils

I got a question

"Pro saves this game"

The ots already have big discussions on what version of a multi platform game to get. Doesn't seem all that different.

just a small question, if I download Horizon 4k video, and play it on 1080p tv, is that more or less what I'm going to get from PS4pro in 1080p tv? because watching that 4k video on my 1080p monitor, it still looks amazing imo.

Nerix

Two questions:

1. Playing unpatched PS4 games on a Pro: will there be any kind of performance benefits (at least something like a more stable frame rate)? Example: 30fps as target for a game. On a standard PS4 there are dips from time to time. Could that be eliminated when playing the same unpatched game on a pro? I would guess so, but haven't read anything about it.

2. Have lots of games on my PS4. Is there be a transfer tool (e.g. via ethernet cable) to transfer my stuff to the PS4 pro? Don't want to redownload everything, would take ages.

SJRB

Gold Member
May be a daft question, but does it only come in black? If I make a switch, I want a white one.

How long did it take for the PS4 to get a white unit? From what I remember it was only a couple of months.

Gamezone

Gold Member
How will physical games work on the Pro? Will the console automatically recognise the disc and provide better features/options, without having to download an update (for future games that is)?

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
The big question is: Does the PS4 Pro use SATA III ? If so, a SSD harddrive would make a huge difference :eek:

kami_sama

They could work as they do on the xbox one s. A little better on both unlocked and fixed framerate games.

Lime

:/

Top Bottom