• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sales have surpassed 5.3 million units according to Sony (As of Feb 8)

THIS is what happens when you treat gamers with respect.

Thank you so much, Sony.
DI4p5RL.gif
This

From the looks of it, Sony will continue to have strains on supply for the next few months.

Sure, stock will be popping in and out of retailers regularly, but will struggle to be an everyday stocked line.

With Infamous around the corner, #Driveclub and Watchdog dates to be revealed, this will only add to the pressure.

A strong showing at E3, followed by the Order, Witcher 3, the next COD, Fifa and Destiny should maintain momentum.

Good year for Sony it seems.
Yeah, I wonder how is Sony going to supply all the countries. Fall 2014 is going to be huge in terms of PS4 sales I bet.

SmokyDave

Congratulations to Sony. I hope Microsoft and Nintendo do the same numbers.

Eh, fuck that. I can't dig the 'everyone's a winner' mentality. I hope the generational contraction isn't too large, but I we shouldn't reward mediocrity.

As it is, the Wii U has been knocked out in the first round. It ain't getting back up. I do hope MS stay competitive, but they need to step their game up in order to do so.

Mandoric

Banned
Crazy numbers. Would not be surprised if Sony ends up selling 15-17 million PS4's LTD by the end of 2014.

I don't think the market's there for that. That's nearly $200 PS2 pace, and it IS going to bog down significantly over the summer unless Destiny launches early or Watch_Dogs is a breakout next-gen hit.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Palette Swap said:
Looking back at PS2 (and going off my memories), it really caught fire in its second year
PS2 was supply limited for pretty much the entire first year - mostly due to yield issues IIRC, especially right after the switch to 180nm.

Eh, fuck that. I can't dig the 'everyone's a winner' mentality. I hope the generational contraction isn't too large, but I we shouldn't reward mediocrity.

As it is, the Wii U has been knocked out in the first round. It ain't getting back up. I do hope MS stay competitive, but they need to step their game up in order to do so.
I can't stand it either. I'm actually glad Wii-U isn't getting 3rd party support. I don't want it holding back current gen games. last gen is falling off a cliff, so I won't have to worry much about cross gen games.

n0tail

Banned
Fantastic to hear. I truly hope that Sony reaches 100 million with PS4. It's well-deserved with their respectful attitude and focus on gamers.

I myself bought my PS4 in December and am looking forward to a long lasting relationship.

Skeff

I don't think the market's there for that. That's nearly $200 PS2 pace, and it IS going to bog down significantly over the summer unless Destiny launches early or Watch_Dogs is a breakout next-gen hit.

I think with this huge delay on Watchdogs it could well be more next-gen focused now, there's also Driveclub of course which will have a PS+ version, if Driveclub is advertised on the box as free with PS+ as a long term offer then it could very well improve the value proposition for consumers.

We may also see the Watchdogs PS4 bundle in the summer which was originally due at launch.

Not to mention the possibility of a summer GTA next gen launch.

Also 15-17 LTD would be 11-13m in the year, which would be around a million a month WW which is certainly plausible, even with a bit o a summer slump the xmas sales should make up for that.

Yaoibot

Amen. MS and Ninty both had poor showings in vision, execution, branding and engineering this gen. That shouldn't be rewarded at all. I don't understand the mentality that we are doing some sort of 'service' to gaming by being platform agnostic. That's ridiculous. I don't buy a TV from every manufacturer because I want to support the set-top industry. I buy one, the best one - as decided by preference and technical merits - and it lasts me 4-7 years.

I welcome some chaos in the industry. Just because one or more of the manufacturers is doing poorly, that doesn't mean the rest can't do well Those things are mutually exclusive.

Yeah, but it wold piss me off if the industry as a whole messed up, we have an anti-consumer monopoly (which every monopoly is), or if one of them makes all the right moves but still fails (think Dreamcast) just because of this generation

It's a great start no doubt.

I still feel like the system is riding on multiplats somewhat. There's some strong first party stuff coming out this year but I can't wait for things to pick up and the library to expand greatly the way it did for PS3, hopefully without having to wait that long.

Yeah, but it wold piss me off if the industry as a whole messed up, we have an anti-consumer monopoly (which every monopoly is), or if one of them makes all the right moves but still fails (think Dreamcast) just because of this generation

We had anti-consumer monopoly in PS2 era.

It was greatest time in gaming.

Much of it will be decided by MS. Nintendo are out, so it's a 2 horse race for the next 5 years in home consoles (or until Nintendo release a new box).

If MS drop to 350-400 and drop kinect they might not fall away, depending on how late they do it. If they don't then the PS4 will just end up being the default console to get for many people. More games will be made for it, more exclusives will be made for it, and the reasons to buy an Xbone will get smaller.

It's all on MS to show how much they want it. If they really are waiting until May to even make the decision, then they could already be at a 9m : 4m ratio by then. Possibly more.

Yep, I think you're right on every count here. Nintendo's horse in this race isn't even a competitor anymore and is only good for glue, such is the deathly state of the Wii U. The Xbone started off well but has quickly lost momentum since, and it's clear to see that Microsoft are hedging all bets on TitanFall being a major system seller (even though it's not even exclusive, but hey, that's the power of marketing). If that doesn't play out like they intend it too, then Microsoft will either opt for a Kinect-less SKU to shave off a hundred dollars and even the playing field some, or they'll just carry on in a completely deluded manner, believing that Kinect is integral to the Xbone experience and not the overly-expensive add-on most perceive it to be.

Basically, the PS4 can achieve world domination not just by doing things right, but others doing things horribly wrong.

And it was followed by a huge crash for that same company

And it honestly wasn't. I can't think of many games on the ps2 I really want to play. I even have one (and need to get a power adapter for the ones I do want to play), but the number of games that interest me are on par or less than the the gamecube and xbox's library. And even then I still don't consider that the golden age, although I don't know which gen is.

Probably early 7th when all 5 consoles besides ps3 were doing good and before Modern Warfare blew up the market. Or 5th gen. Would disqualify the first option for a lack of japanese games had it not been for DS and PSP

Yaoibot

That's great news, crazy how many people have bought one considering there is such an awful library.

It has the best version (next to PC) of every multiplat released last quarter, and a host of indie and F2P titles. I'm confident there are more games actually released on the PS4 than the X1 and by a fair margin, though I haven't done the math yet. Whether you like those titles or not is subjective, but you are spreading a fallacy.

Mendax

That's great news, crazy how many people have bought one considering there is such an awful library.

it's not awful, it's actually a really great and varied library. The first party line-up might be lackluster but first party isn't what is most important to most gamers anyway. And everyone knows it will exponentially increase in the coming months/years.

I don't think Sony did anything what you could interpret as anti-consumer move at the time of the PS2 and early PS3.
Sony is still the only company without regional codes for handhelds and consoles for example.

RyoonZ

Banned
Did you see that Japan? Now make some JRPG, Legend of Dragoon 2, Dark Cloud 3, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Disgaea 5, a JRPG, Tekken 7, Ys 8, Did I mention JRPG?

Theecliff

Banned
If a company is leading the pack, it's leading the pack. There's nothing anti-consumer about selling way more than your competitors; that's a result coming directly from your consumers.

I really wish I could find that Y2Kev post that addresses this 'sales parity is better for the consumers' garbage, because he summed it up perfectly. Basically, it's not the consumers responsibility to prop up a product doing worse than its competitions if the other products are of better value/more desirable to said consumers.

Anti-consumer? What? Just because every other platform has their ass handed to them doesn't mean it became anti-consumer. Because of that monopoly you say, Xbox innovated/ created the modern online gaming experience as a selling point. Nintendo reacted by making a nice exclusives. And Sony had started to create their now known Worldwide Studios.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It really wasn't. I'd take PS3 over PS2 any day of the week. Sony were at their best when they had their back against the wall.
Not.... really. Monopoly is great for gaming imo. Look at the PC sector where Steam has pretty much a monopoly. It helped PC gaming thrive.
Only having one console would be great for everyone. Especially the devs because they wouldn't have to make 3-4 version of every game. IIRC Mikami was recently upset because he has to do several version of Evil Within. That costs money too you know.
A console monopoly is great news for every dev and player. You have a huge install base where more people can risk to make some unusual games because even if it is unusual, chances are high enough people will buy it to become profitable.

So honestly, for all I care MS and Nintendo can go down.

I think they are tracking to hit 20+ million this year. The first 3 month have been bonkers, dunno if they can keep this up.

Not sure I'd go quite that far but it would be fantastic to see the console market has so much life. Sony certainly are playing their cards right and we know they still have a few surprises left for 2014 so potential is there I guess.

I think sales will slow during the summer for 3-4 months too. I do think it'll remain consistently selling well during that time though. During spring with the hype still there, extra stock coming in and the Japanese launch I think we'll see a big spike, then things will calm during summer but from September - December with big new releases like Destiny, Fifa, Call of Duty we should see a massive sales jump. So I'd say at least 13 million sold is a given but 15-17 is what I expect them to achieve.

Joni

We don't have a monopoly. There are three consoles on the market. One of them is doing what consumers want which is why it is doing good. Do you want the consoles that consumers don't like as much to do good too? What is happening now, isn't a monopoly. It is customers deciding their best choice at the moment. If this changes and Sony takes a turn for more anti-consumer ways, the consumer will react.

Joni

yeah, it should be 7 million by end of March, even if Japanese launch sells just ok...
It is just a supply game at the moment. Can they deliver the consoles to reach 7 million consoles at the places where they can sell them?

Massa

Good god, when you put it that way

What the fuck were EA thinking?

They were thinking about money.

Respawn owns the IP, EA bought the publishing rights. Respawn and EA each get a cut from sales, but EA still has to pay Respawn for the rights. Microsoft and EA's deal to not have the game published on Playstation platforms will most likely cover EA there. This is probably why Vince Zampella was openly frustrated by the deal, they're the only losers there.

Taker34

Banned
Extremely good sales and if the PS4 can keep this level of excitement until E3 then we have PS2-like conditions. The typical franchises like GT and Uncharted will defnintely help to turn the wide gap into the Strait of Gibraltar - sales wise.

spwolf

It is just a supply game at the moment. Can they deliver the consoles to reach 7 million consoles at the places where they can sell them?

obviously yes, if you look 1.1m from Dec 28th to Feb 08th plus some units that they are holding for Japan, they should deliver more than 7.5m, so question is if they can sell it all in time for March 31st.

derExperte

Good for them. I wonder how many more they'll sell before they replace my second broken one, it's been exactly a month now.

SLESS

Hardly. The Xbox One is doing fantastic sales wise and has yet the launch in several key territories.

Hello and welcome to planet Earth great traveller, it is obvious that you're not quite familiar with our geography as yet so may I be so bold to suggest you study an Atlas to bring yourself up to speed?

So, between Dec 28th and Feb 8th. Sony sold 1,1mil Ps4s despite the supply constraints and no major releases in january.

From Feb 8th to the end of the fiscal year (March 31st) we still have nearly two full months with the Japan launch and a few big releases.

I'd say Sony could reach 7,5mil by the end of march.

Steroyd

It really wasn't. I'd take PS3 over PS2 any day of the week. Sony were at their best when they had their back against the wall.

Sony themselves as a publisher for hardcore gamers, yeah, the platform as a whole no, there was no silly emphasis on "AAA or bust" mentality back on PS2 and western and Japaneese alike flourished on the PS2 in equal measure, and Sony delved into stuff like Singstar and Eyetoy where that type of experimentation seems to have been neutered out as the PS3 generation went on (Eye of Judgement, Eyepet for examples).

I'm sure this is beyond Wii sales from last gen now, can anyone confirm?

Also a 2 million lead by Sony and not even out in Japan yet, damn.

Top Bottom