• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sales have surpassed 5.3 million units according to Sony (As of Feb 8)

Valentus

PS4 in its very best form should sell 15-18k weekly in japan, so that "1 more million before fiscal year" is a complete madness

839385081.gif

haha, thats hilarious. booty bump ftw.

Fox Mulder

Crazy demand and nice to see after the media thought consoles were dead.

I just wish it had something like gran Turismo 6 for launch. The Xbox one actually has better games out, but MS fucked up almost everything else about the product.

Theecliff

Banned
All 3 of them have shitty software line-ups so any of them selling well is rewarding mediocrity to me.
The desirability of these consoles isn't just based on the current line ups to most people.

Anyway, both the XBO and PS4 launched with new sequels to huge franchises, so while for you and many others here they may have had poor launch line ups, it's not surprising that they sold well at launch; PS4 moreso due to its cheaper price.

Jigolo

So they surpassed sales expectations of 5 million by March in early February and still have not launched in Japan? Wow.

Realistically what can we expect from Japan though? Considering they are a handheld heavy market, I expect 280,000 first day sales.

Coxy

Did you see that Japan? Now make some JRPG, Legend of Dragoon 2, Dark Cloud 3, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Disgaea 5, a JRPG, Tekken 7, Ys 8, Did I mention JRPG?

3 of those are more or less already known for PS4, Falcom have a PS4 game that looks suspiciously like Ys, N1 have some game that looks a lot like a Disgaea and Harada said he wants to make a new tekken for PS4

FrunkQ

Neo Member
XB1 isn't selling as well as the PS4 but its still doing quite well IMO.

Hardly. The Xbox One is doing fantastic sales wise and has yet the launch in several key territories.

PS4 sales keep accelerating to meet supply, and they are aggressively launching in more countries. XB1 sales have fallen off rapidly, there is stock on shelves in most places. Unless MS start releasing in other territories soon the perception of failure for the XB1 will grow, despite their own media spin.

Stuff like this:
Microsoft Xbox One is selling over twice as fast as its predecessor, the Xbox 360.

This is spin! The XB1 was coming off the success of the 360, the 360 off the not so successful original. The 360 came only 4 years after the original, the XB1 had 8 years of pent up demand. The 360 was pretty supply constrained and sold out... there is no doubt it would have sold better if it was available. MS have made he XB1 more available in the US.

Yes - it has been a successful launch for them, but not as successful as they are trying to make out. And the sales since new year have been underwhelming.

If MS "stay the course" it is entirely possible that the PS4 will have double the sales of the XB1 by the time E3 rolls round. MS need to avoid that like the plague! Public and shareholder perception will be rattled and it may start going the way of the Wii U.

If Xbox One is making profits to Microsoft (although it is quite minor comparing to other MS business), then I don't think MS will take an emergency action until Titanfall launches in the market.

This...

MS are going to weather the storm until April when they see the impact of Titanfall. I think they will be disappointed - they are falling behind too fast and 360 availability will keep most of their core audience happy.

Then emergency measures will kick in... in late April/early May I predict price parity with PS4 with bundled Titanfall & 3 months XBox Live at the very least.

They have to do damage repair before E3... as allowing your competitor to crow a 2:1 worldwide sales advantage at that event is a death knell. With a price dropped bundle they can at least talk about a major uptick in sales and give your audience some hope for the future.

Sony have just done everything right... they deserve this success.

Yaoibot

3 of those are more or less already known for PS4, Falcom have a PS4 game that looks suspiciously like Ys, N1 have some game that looks a lot like a Disgaea and Harada said he wants to make a new tekken for PS4

Falcom PS4 game? Wassat?!!!

When did this become about you?

Did you even read the post i replied to? If you're calling consoles mediocre you're making a judgement based on your preferences. He thinks buying an xbone or wii U would be rewarding mediocrity, to me right now buying any of them would be exactly that.

The desirability of these consoles isn't just based on the current line ups to most people.

Anyway, both the XBO and PS4 launched with new sequels to huge franchises, so while for you and many others here they may have had poor launch line ups, it's not surprising that they sold well at launch; PS4 moreso due to its cheaper price.

Fair enough and they're free to buy them. Right now though at this exact second i don't see much more incentive to buy a PS4 over say an xbone. I guess it is slightly more powerful but it doesn't mean much with the current line-ups which is why i called them both mediocre.

It really wasn't. I'd take PS3 over PS2 any day of the week. Sony were at their best when they had their back against the wall.

I don't know. I would consider the PS2 potentially the best console of all time due to their amazing line-up of games and exclusives. Imo, it felt unique and was not a clone of it's competitors in most cases. PS3 is also amazing and one of the best of all time, but it is so close to the X360 software wise, they were almost identical. Yeah, the market was more competitive with last generation, but I think developers tried hardest with the PS2, especially the Japanese developers and everyone didn't have crutches like patches and DLC to rely on after their releases came out.

EagleEyes

Congrats Sony. They have really knocked it out of the park with the hardcore gamer. Their job in the next couple of years when the price drops a bit is to convince the casual crowd that it is more than just a gaming machine.

stryke

Did you even read the post i replied to? If you're calling consoles mediocre you're making a judgement based on your preferences. He thinks buying an xbone or wii U would be rewarding mediocrity, to me right now buying any of them would be exactly that.

SmokeyDave said "we", as in we consumers, and obviously so far consumers have rewarded Playstation more and don't consider it a "mediocrity".

RyoonZ

Banned

I know I was just filling that number.
I wanted to add Suikoden 6 too but that's not going to happen anymore :(

P90

With the Wii U barely hanging on and the Xbox One fading fast, we may end up with Sony domination in the home console scene this generation.

Skeff

So they surpassed sales expectations of 5 million by March in early February and still have not launched in Japan? Wow.

Realistically what can we expect from Japan though? Considering they are a handheld heavy market, I expect 280,000 first day sales.

Wii u sold 300k first weekend, I'd expect more than that with yakuza dynasty warriors and ff14 beta day one as well as mgs about a month in.

That's great news, crazy how many people have bought one considering there is such an awful library.

The system just been out for a few months and the library doesn't come anywhere close to awful. The PS4 has the best console versions of most of the games people want to play such as Battlefield 4, COD: Ghosts, Assassin's Creed: BF, Need For Speed, Fifa, Madden, NBA2K14, several good indie games, a few exclusives, etc, so that is probably good enough for early adopters. Also, the price is reasonable and PS3 is very old now, so imo it makes sense why it is selling.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is a real shame. Sony doesn't have ANY software appealing to ME. Where is Atelier Uguugu? And how about a big JRPG franchise from Mark Cerny and based Yu Suzuki and Nobuo Uematsu? And why hasn't Guerrila Games, who sucks anyway, unveiled their new IP wrpg shooter hybrid with dating sim elements?

I saw from the Order gifs that the entire game takes place in a hallway and it's just a boring third person shooter, which is a genre nobody likes, so another fail on sony's part.

sestrugen

This is a real shame. Sony doesn't have ANY software appealing to ME. Where is Atelier Uguugu? And how about a big JRPG franchise from Mark Cerny and based Yu Suzuki and Nobuo Uematsu? And why hasn't Guerrila Games, who sucks anyway, unveiled their new IP wrpg shooter hybrid with dating sim elements?

I saw from the Order gifs that the entire game takes place in a hallway and it's just a boring third person shooter, which is a genre nobody likes, so another fail on sony's part.

You. I like you.

spwolf

Wii u sold 300k first weekend, I'd expect more than that with yakuza dynasty warriors and ff14 beta day one as well as mgs about a month in.

well, between 300k and 500k would be good for them, anything above is probably unrealistic and it would be crazy.

Klarax

Banned
You just know MS wont release the sales of the just the box one, they will add the 360 sales to the tally, and say we've sold x million xbox's since december. Or something like that.

Anyone want to bet against this happening ?

SmokyDave

Eh, I don't think any of them have 'shitty' lineups. I just think one of them provides much more (as a whole package) to the average consumer, so it's natural that one should sell better.

Sales don't always equal quality, but this time quality equals sales.

This is why you're a favorite of mine. Excellent post #truthfacts

I think you're seriously overestimating the appeal of those titles given they're all also on PS3 as well as the state of the Japanese console industry. The Wii U launched in the holiday season, and for all its problems it launched with a title that managed a first week 170K. None of those titles you listed are likely to do so, as far as I'm aware. SEGA's expectation for Ishin is a LTD of 150K.

<3

Sid

Uguugu? excellent post mang.

Eh, I don't think any of them have 'shitty' lineups. I just think one of them provides much more (as a whole package) to the average consumer, so it's natural that one should sell better.

Sales don't always equal quality, but this time quality equals sales.

Don't get me wrong i'm with you in the line of thinking that competition for competitions sake is worthless. If MS and nintendo don't offer up worthy competition than they deserve to sell like shit. That's how the market works.

Rozart

Day One.

x-Lundz-x

If February's numbers are the same (or worse) than January's for MS, Xbone drops to $399 at E3 or sooner. Guaranteed.

The March NPD is what is concerning MS and nothing else right now. If Titanfall doesn't bring the bump in sales they want or expect (personally I don't think it will) then you will be correct.

If thePS4 outsells Xbox One in March, then there will be blood on GAF.

Mikey Jr.

Lol ms buying respawn. Especially after what happened to rare and recently, black tusk. Let respawn stay independent so they don't make titanfall for the rest of their lives.

Anyways, great to hear. Well deserved.

The March NPD is what is concerning MS and nothing else right now. If Titanfall doesn't bring the bump in sales they want or expect (personally I don't think it will) then you will be correct.

If thePS4 outsells Xbox One in March, then there will be blood on GAF.

Titanfall alone won't turn the tides. I feel like if that's what they're hoping for they're doomed to failure. Maybe if they time a price cut or a kinectless SKU or something with it they could turn things around somewhat.

They have to be real careful how long they wait for. The stench of failure is hard to remove from a product and if the xbone starts struggling whilst the PS4 is selling a shit ton they will be dead in the water. Basically at a certain point there is no turning things around, that's basically where the wii U is now.

Top Bottom