• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells over 20M consoles in 2017

Unknown?

The only other two to surpass 20 Million in a year are PS2 and Wii making this only the third console to do so. Also a bit unprecedented to gain so much steam in its fourth year. Traditionally consoles peak at year 3 but the console had an amazing year for software. Who said exclusives don’t matter? As of December they are 73.6M sold through.

DTDyihvXkAAVcrM.jpg

http://www.mcvuk.com/amp/articles/c...er-the-holidays-pushing-global-total-to-73.6m

theHFIC

wait until those 20 million people find out you can't play their old legacy games on it and that the 4K isn't really true true true true 4K. Then it will Xbox's time to shine.

Last edited:

Artistic

The online only aspect of the XB1 probably hurts MS more than anything. I can understand the benefits of what MS was trying to implement, but they could be losing out a lot of sales because of it.

It's a future that gaming might not be able to avoid at some point.

Last edited:

Malcolm9

How much of this is still tied to the original reveal of the PS4 and Xbox along with their initially different policies on game ownership?

Not alot, it was more to do with pricing and the bigger appeal of the PlayStation brand worldwide.

They've now crushed 3 of the last 4 generations and pretty much tied the other, it seems pretty clear at this point that people are buying Sony consoles for reasons out of the competitions control. Microsoft is going to have to pull a rabbit out their hat to get back the 50% market they've lost.

Grinchy

Banned
2018 will probably be just as big, if not bigger. They have some major heavy hitters coming up and it's not like the price of the unit is going to increase.

chinoXL

2018 will probably be just as big, if not bigger. They have some major heavy hitters coming up and it's not like the price of the unit is going to increase.

yessir!!! i'm hype for their games this year much more so than 2017. i have a nice long list that i want this year

Last edited:

Blood Borne

They've now crushed 3 of the last 4 generations and pretty much tied the other, it seems pretty clear at this point that people are buying Sony consoles for reasons out of the competitions control. Microsoft is going to have to pull a rabbit out their hat to get back the 50% market they've lost.
Unlike Nintendo that has a certain appeal, mainly Japanese, and Microsoft and it's heavily western appeal, Sony on the other hand, has a universal appeal.

No matter if you're a western or eastern gamer, you'll find lots of games on PlayStation. The same cannot be said for its competitors.

Unknown?

If they’re aggressive I can see them doing better but if they keep the standard PS4 at $299 I don’t think so. I kinda expect them to cut the price to $249 and bundle it with God of War when it comes out. I wonder what the strategy is as it has changed since 2016.

Exclusives are pretty much everything, why else are you buying a game console if not to play games that bring you fun and enjoyment on it. I have both PS4 and Xbox One and the only game I've bought for my Xbox that I was really excited for in 2017 was Cuphead, I might grab Halo Wars 2 yet but everything else has been PS4.

loki 16

That’s really good. Probably a mix between first party exclusives and third party marketing and additional content. Good on Sony.

NahaNago

wait until those 20 million people find out you can't play their old legacy games on it and that the 4K isn't really true true true true 4K. Then it will Xbox's time to shine.
that made me chuckle and congrats to Sony. Let's see them top this number next year.

Zing!

Seriously though, I do like Microsofts efforts on BC (Other than their digital pricing) and XoneX, but unless Sony (And Nintendo for that matter) really stumble, I think realistically Microsoft is looking at their contracted Xbox One market from the 360's as their market going forward.

Last edited:
Exclusives can't be the sole reason.

Definitely not the sole reason but damn is it a big one. It's such an improvement over the PS3, there's no telling when this train will stop. If it hits £/$/€179.99 and Pro hits £/$/249.99 then it's over. PlayStation VR is coming down in price. More and more top games are coming. This train is a juggernaut. E3 and PSX will be huge this year. Mainly, I imagine because 2019 will likely be the year we really start talking about PS5.

Yeah! Wait until people realise how much they want XBOX 360 games and 4K content!

4K is at a low adoption rate when compared to house holds with 1080p televisions. 70 million people clearly don't mind so much that there's no backwards compatibility and by the time the PlayStation 5 launches, there'll be more of a market of 4K televisions to chase.

Last edited:

Artistic

As I've said before, MS/Sony is chasing two different things.

Whether MS even gets a chance to do what they possibly set out to do, is the big question.

Also thought $200 was the standard price for the PS4 Slim and XB1 S, unless that's just for holiday pricing.

Unknown?

As I've said before, MS/Sony is chasing two different things.

Whether MS even gets a chance to do what they possibly set out to do, is the big question.

Also thought $200 was the standard price for the PS4 Slim and XB1 S, unless that's just for holiday pricing.
Nope. It is for the XS but PS4 hasn’t received a permanent cut yet. We will see how they strategize this year. I have a feeling GOW will be pushed hard! Maybe they’re keeping it up to subsidize PSVR and push that?

Grinchy

Banned
If they’re aggressive I can see them doing better but if they keep the standard PS4 at $299 I don’t think so. I kinda expect them to cut the price to $249 and bundle it with God of War when it comes out. I wonder what the strategy is as it has changed since 2016.
I am expecting $149 Black Friday deals. It's going to be an insane holiday season for them in 2018 IMO.

Unknown?

I am expecting $149 Black Friday deals. It's going to be an insane holiday season for them in 2018 IMO.
I was too but I am not so sure now. They didn’t do their usual permanent price cut last holiday and instead of being aggressive with the Slim in December they were mild. Let’s hope they have enough stock this Black Friday. They could have sold 2M+. I think Q1 will see a price drop just so they can drive hype.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was too but I am not so sure now. They didn’t do their usual permanent price cut last holiday and instead of being aggressive with the Slim in December they were mild. Let’s hope they have enough stock this Black Friday. They could have sold 2M+. I think Q1 will see a price drop just so they can drive hype.

I think it's fair to say that we're getting to the time when it is due a price cut. PS3 was 2009 when it came down to £249? And then again in 2011 it came down to like £179.

Chaostar

Insane that sales have grown so much over the previous two years and there's even a possibility that, given a permanent price drop, PS4 could achieve it's peak in 2018.

Can anyone tell me if there's a chance of another £250 PSVR deal in the UK any time soon? I skipped the last deal as it was version 1 only and I need dat HDR pass-through.

Unknown?

Insane that sales have grown so much over the previous two years and there's even a possibility that, given a permanent price drop, PS4 could achieve it's peak in 2018.

Can anyone tell me if there's a chance of another £250 PSVR deal in the UK any time soon? I skipped the last deal as it was version 1 only and I need dat HDR pass-through.
Probably not until June or the holidays. :/ I have an HDR TV but have no problems switching the cables. Doesn’t take long. Was a fantastic deal on PSVR!

Toe-Knee

You can get hdr using a switcher in using a HUIERAV one that's £13 on amazon. Not had a single issue with it.

freefornow

Gold Member
To see growth in your 4th year is a solid effort from Sony. They havent taken anything for granted this generation. Well done.
The early days of PS3 have taught them well.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Love my Pro and my X.

That said congrats to Sony and yeah Xbox shines great, had one exclusive that was decently rated in 2017 and that was a DLC expansion pack for Forza.

Dargor

Congratualtions!

I think this year might be even better, since there will be even more games this time.

I still don't know why.

They learned from their PS3 mistakes and the competition one upped their mistakes, it only snowballed from there. I like a hungry Microsoft and Nintendo as they try to take back more of the market but if we're being honest, they only have themselves to blame for the positions they are/were in.

Filben

They all will sell their PS4 consoles and 'unenjoy' the enjoyable experiences they had with the games. Not.

Although I think the Xbox One (X) is a much better console from a technical point of view, it's a PS4 (Pro) I own, not an Xbox. I'm enjoying my native 4k titles on my PC and favor the console for their exclusives. I think numbers of people disregarding the console because it's not native 4k is pretty small. Regards the legacy games, it's not something you 'find out'. You know before buying the console that you can't run your old games on it. It sucks pretty hard and to appreciate MS's efforts on the BC, however, again, I do own a PS4.

Dizagaox

Not alot, it was more to do with pricing and the bigger appeal of the PlayStation brand worldwide.
Definitely not pricing, at least not in the UK. Xbox One S is £169 and PS4 Slim is £269. It's entirely to do with games I think. You get more multiplatform titles AND big exclusives with PS4.

Nikodemos

Was the PS3/360 on par with PC spec wise during that time in gaming history?
The 360 was slightly ahead when it launched, since it featured the first ever GPU with flexible-function shaders.

The PS3 was very powerful as well, however its multi-core CPU was a nightmare to program for in the beginning. Also its GPU was weaker, or, at least, not as straightforwardly usable as the one in the 360, meaning that some of the CPU's secondary cores pulled graphics duty.

Artistic

The 360 was slightly ahead when it launched, since it featured the first ever GPU with flexible-function shaders.

The PS3 was very powerful as well, however its multi-core CPU was a nightmare to program for in the beginning. Also its GPU was weaker, or, at least, not as straightforwardly usable as the one in the 360, meaning that some of the CPU's secondary cores pulled graphics duty.
I've always wondered why 360 multiplats looked better, but PS3 exclusives were the true visual gems of last gen.

Not sure how it'll hold up in today's market, but Last of Us was something special.

Top Bottom