• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 1 million units on Day 1 in NA, best start in PS / console history

Hoo-doo

Banned
ibcZK5InijpgzF.gif

This is amazing. They have got an amazing team right there.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I wonder how much reports of faulty ps4s will dent enthusiasm.
Too early to tell how widespread that defect is (I expect: not very)... But PS2's Disc Read Error or 360's RROD hardly slowed down those mega-successful consoles.

Tooi

Neo Member
That's insane! This can only be seen as good for the industry as a whole because it shows console gaming isn't dead. Now we just have to see how well the software is selling.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
...how?! There isn't even anything really good for it and there's no Wii-esque novelty factor. Mind you I'm getting it tomorrow and I'm incredibly hyped for what's to come, and glad to hear this, but right now I really don't understand what's driving this kind of insane reception. Maybe the marketing in the media is really phenomenal? I'm pretty insulated from that kind of thing.

Next Gen blue balls. This has been a LONG generation, people want something new

Many many many sales. The question is, can PS4 beat Xbox in England?
It is an important battle ground but it won't be hard for Microsoft to flood the UK market given that they're serving half as many countries

Xbox One November 22nd
Australia, Austria, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Spain, UK

PS4 November 29th
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UK

It's irrelevant (shipped vs sold) really as other threads suggest that the consoles is practically sold out everywhere.

And this number totally proves that wrong!

Only if it keeps up this momentum. For some context, not only did the Wii U bolt out of the gate only to taper of at the end, but the PS2 was severely supply constrained.

At the moment, it shows that Sony's been efficient in meeting initial demand. The test will be if that demand holds. Once you've saturated core gamers, then the real game begins.

I doubt there's much to fear -- current gen consoles are still selling -- but it's way too premature to call Day One figures evidence of a trend one way or the other.

Those are insane numbers.

I'm still on the fence. The hype is getting to me though.

I would suggest getting one asap and even if for whatever reason you decide you don't want it just sell it. These kinds of numbers create news and then hype and Christmas is coming. This could easily be the next Wii if there's no big issues.

PS2 KID

Congrats Sony. They should sell every one they can produce.

With the European and Asian launches coming up, I just hope they can restock NA with enough quantity.

Now I'm wondering how many of those Amazon sold.

Good stuff, more competition in this industry is nice. How soon can we feed the crow to the people in the NPD threads saying the Vita and Wii U were signaling a new crash of the industry?

...Only half kidding. ;P
Let's wait a year before making that assessment. The real question is whether games consoles will still appeal to the greater masses over the coming years. They were always going to have success at launch. This is indeed great news though and an extremely promising start.

Midas

Amazing. Hopefully Xbone will sell through within the same numbers. And hopefully the market will react positive to this come Monday.

I'm pretty sure planetside 2 is going to huge as well.

Yeah, PS2 too.

I found it hilarious that the press tried to overplay the fact that Watch_Dogs and Driveclub delay was a hit on Sony. If anything, it was better for them.

MS's mess-ups and pricing allowed Sony to basically gain the consumer attention and demand of their product despite a smaller launch line-up, and Sony enjoyed the advantage of being able to push more system sellers later in the calendar when demand might had slowed down.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I showed up to a school group project today.. And half the group bought PS4s. 4 out of 7 students.

I thought it was just an unlikely anecdote... But maybe it was representative of the market.

A couple of them were 360 gamers last gen too...

Ensirius

I would suggest getting one asap and even if for whatever reason you decide you don't want it just sell it. These kinds of numbers create news and then hype and Christmas is coming. This could easily be the next Wii if there's no big issues.

I'm kidding myself if I think I won't get one. This is just a question of me having to justify to myself buying a shiny new gadget when I just bought an ipad air, a ps3+gtav and I'm about to buy new graphics card+SSD. I'm spending so much money on tech lately.

nightever

I don't really think that Boyes tweet confirms anything - a sold to retail is a sale as well - only Yoshida's tweet can be taken as meaning sell through because that's what he wrote; would be good if someone could issue a clear statement, or if NPD would issue some sort of first day/week report.

Some Japanese has already asked yoshida the number is shippment or sell-through, he answered directly it's sell-through. I really don't know why you try to act like PS4 is not sold out.

really curious about eu numbers now. They're going to sell every unit they can ship. cus ill admit i did not expect 1mill in NA for day 1

I suppose 1 million on launch day in Europe too.

Allocate consoles to the countries launching in december, then distribute the rest for NA and Europe as 2nd batch.

I think this year they're gonna sell 3 to 3.5 million consoles.

Into

The entire argument that consoles were dying was based upon declining numbers of 360 and PS3 seeing year over year lower sales

Well no shit they are seeing lower sales, both consoles are waaaay past the typical life expectancy of a video game console. If anything, the sales of 360 and PS3 in the last 3 years are impressive considering their age. Yet the numbers were being framed as "worrying" for the console industry, which made me roll my eyes as it is such a tunnel vision mode to look at it.

That and the abysmal performance of the Wii U. But just like previous consoles have failed to catch on (Saturn, Jaguar, Dreamcast, GC, OG Xbox) others have thrived in the same generations, PSX, SNES, PS2 etc.

Nothing has changed, the industry moves forward much like it always has. Now that numbers are finally coming out, we can put the entire idea to rest and move on.

Top Bottom