• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Review

They would be stupid to price this as much as or more than the Xbox One S without 4k blu ray and HDR. If it's cheaper than I'd say it's a good option for those who don't have a PS4 yet.

John Wick

it seems like wifi bands are the selling point. But if you've done well this long, why even bother? It loses the optical port and the ps4 is small enough. Not really sure who this is for.

It's for the mass market @ a mass market price. People who already have a PS4 won't/shouldn't be interested in this. PS4 Slim will replace the OG going forward. Neo is the upgrade for current and premium users. I don't understand what's so hard to understand about this? It's not some complex equation

Maximo

4:29m, how do you live in such a dump?

AQfpV1X.jpg

To be faaaiiirrrr Laura has been undergoing intense surgery so she can't move around alot and obviously works as a online journalist soo...yeah

John Wick

Yep, I still can't believe, and it looks also very very nice, even though NEO is my next purchase :) But this new model will sell like hot cakes, for sure.

The console is in people's hand. Normally Sony would have acknowledged it but I think they're going to announce a killer price. That's why they still haven't responded

Elios83

They would be stupid to price this as much as or more than the Xbox One S without 4k blu ray and HDR. If it's cheaper than I'd say it's a good option for those who don't have a PS4 yet.

Are you forgetting that PS4 has a more powerful hardware and virtually all multiplatform games run better on it?
That doesn't matter anymore for a game console? :p Sony should be ashamed to price it the same as the Xbox One? :D
Those 4K features have a really limited marketing appeal. Interest in UHD Blu Ray in the real world is close to zero at this point.

So let me get this right;

- No Optical Audio Input?
- No HDR support
- No 4k Blu Ray Player built in

I'm hoping this thing is priced reasonably, because it looks like Sony is giving no regard to their competitors. Or perhaps they have the mindset that the Neo will house all the premium features?

Anyone know if this is overclocked over the OG model?

I'm really surprised the PS4 Slim doesn't have these features, and I have to come clean that I predicted that it would. The only reason I can come up with why Sony designed it like this is because the Neo really is just a minor upgrade to the PS4 and they needed as many points of differentiation as possible. Sony has now given up the high ground as both the base model and upgraded model of their console will be arguably be equal or lesser than their Xbox counterpart. (Yes the PS4 Slim would still have a more powerful GPU but that becomes a much harder case to make with the XB1 S having a CPU advantage, HDR, and 4k Blu Ray player)

Price is now going to have to be the competitive advantage Sony pushes. I thought the PS4 slim would be $299, but now $249 is looking like the better bet. A $249 Slim and a $399 Neo makes for two distinct products that can stand on their own. The upcoming increase in the PSN+ price also gives them some room to lower the price of the consoles.

GreekWolf

Personally, I don't think removing the optical port on the Slim is all that big of a deal, considering its target audience is the budget gamer who just wants an entry level PS4 console. Sony has to trim the fat in order to get it into that lowest tier price bracket.

The Neo on the other hand, absolutely needs to be feature-rich and not ostracize any of it's customers. There's no question in my mind that it will have every available port/option that's currently being used today.

Behlel

Yeah because producing a more powerful APU with a more costly RAM doesn't count.
Can we stop this madness? The average customer don't give a shit at 4K and HDR and market pool of this technology is tiny and is not the target of a slim console.

So let me get this right;

- No Optical Audio Input?
- No HDR support
- No 4k Blu Ray Player built in

Sigh.. The PS4 slim is just like any other slim ps console. It's there to replace the current console with cheaper components so that they can sell the console at a cheaper price. This is meant to replace the current PS4 and is targeted to people that didnt buy a Ps4 yet. Its not an upgrade at all and it's not trying to be.

Angel_DvA

Is Sony still acting like it doesn't exist ?

I think the PS4 Slim is ok for people that cannot wait for Neo but with the Xbox One S that have 4K support and UHD drive, The Xbox One S has a better value for sure, you should wait if you're not in the hurry...

vin-buc

I don't see why they'd be stupid to price it at $299. There's no doubt that a 4K blu-Ray player is a nice add-in but they're both game consoles and the slim beats it at that since it's more powerful. It's also a smaller box/refresh. I don't think there are any HDR titles atm for Xbox with only 2 - 3 announced for the rest of the year (I think).

I could see in stores:
Xbox One S: $299 (1 game bundle)
PS4 Slim: $299 (1 game bundle)
PS4 Neo: $399 - $449
PSVR: $399

That's a tricky proposition for Xbox - there will be 2 consoles starting at the same price as it that are both more powerful and a VR unit. PS just seems more "dominant" - perceptually on the HW front (if everything releases this year)

I do hope they come in at $249 - standalone but I'm not so sure (at least until BF).

Yeah because producing a more powerful APU with a more costly RAM doesn't count.
Can we stop this madness? The average customer don't give a shit at 4K and HDR and market pool of this technology is tiny and is not the target of a slim console.

The average consumer isn't going to care about the APU or price of RAM either. For them the feature list of the console is what's going to matter. The XB1 S can list HDR and UHD Blu-ray player on the box and the average consumer is going to know what they are. The PS4's memory type is just going to get confused looks. To the average consumer it's going to be a wash at best, but most likely they will want to future proof by getting an UHD Blu-ray player with the XB1 S.

By not matching capabilities the PS4 prevents direct comparisons to the XB1 S. Since the UHD will get marketed as the next tech improvement the XB1 S will be seen as the console of the future while the PS4 Slim will just be a cheaper version of the console of the past. Once again this is all from the point of view of the average consumer who doesn't follow tech that closely.

Without a price advantage this will hurt the PS4 Slim. However the PS4 brand has the momentum advantage so the XB1 Slim won't likely overtake it, but the PS4 Slim will lose ground if it is not cheaper.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Leave it to GAF to focus more on the room than the actual unannounced device being reviewed -_-

Sigh.. The PS4 slim is just like any other slim ps console. It's there to replace the current console with cheaper components so that they can sell the console at a cheaper price. This is meant to replace the current PS4 and is targeted to people that didnt buy a Ps4 yet. Its not an upgrade at all and it's not trying to be.

It's that kind of thinking that got the XB1 in trouble. Microsoft was only thinking about how it related to the last gen and the 360 specifically. They didn't take into account what their competition was doing. Without the PS4 the XB1 would have sold like crazy in it's original configuration. Unfortunately for Microsoft, ignoring what the competition does does not make them go away.

People don't buy consoles based on what happened last generation. They buy consoles based on what is going on right now.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think the PS4 Slim is ok for people that cannot wait for Neo but with the Xbox One S that have 4K support and UHD drive, The Xbox One S has a better value for sure, you should wait if you're not in the hurry...

Its not intended for upgrading from PS4. That's NEO.

Kyoufu

It's that kind of thinking that got the XB1 in trouble. Microsoft was only thinking about how it related to the last gen and the 360 specifically. They didn't take into account what their competition was doing. Without the PS4 the XB1 would have sold like crazy in it's original configuration. Unfortunately for Microsoft, ignoring what the competition does does not make them go away.

People don't buy consoles based on what happened last generation. They buy consoles based on what is going on right now.

As much as I like what Microsoft have done with the Xbox One S, I think Sony know what they're doing here. Cheap base model for the casual market who are going to be buying these by the masses to play video games and a premium model for enthusiasts who are after a better experience and/or want to take advantage of their shiny new 4K TVs. I can't fault this strategy, because let's face it, the PS4 Slim is going to shift a lot of units, much more than Xbox One S and Neo.

I think it's a shame the PS4 Slim doesn't support 4K Blu Ray at the lower price because the best selling console would be the ideal 4K driver going forward, but alas, it won't.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Er, that's a pretty big fallacy.

I can tell you i would not have supported MS's plans for DRM regardless of who else was in the market.

Your making the assumption that MS failed because they didn't look at Sony but that's wrong. In reality, they failed not because they were not looking at Sony, but because they were looking up their own asses in general, and so had to double down on course correcting twice as hard, and the Xbox One S is apart of that even to this day.

Sony has no reason to look at MS as it implements its own plans for the future, and generally speaking can afford to make its own implementation of mid gen refreshes without having to worry about it. Having a stripped down budget PS4, and a feature packed NEO is a good strategy.

MCN

Banned
The Xbox One S is designed for people who already have an Xbox One, and want 4K video but don't want to wait for Scorpio (ie idiots).

The PS4 Slim is designed for people who don't currently have a PS4, and have no need for 4K anything, because their current TV works just fine, thank you very much (ie me)

MrBenchmark

I've always felt Sony likes to take the car maker approach and the term is "decontented" don't like it in cars either. But people crying about the optical most TV's can pass the HDMI audio back out through the optical on the TV to those with headsets needing it. I do feel it needs to be at least $249 as others have said more people would be swayed by the other systems 4K abilities. Most consumers won't give a shit about the realistically small graphical difference that when in motion many couldn't tell you which is which.

Example
I own destiny on both systems and they look the same on my sharp 1080p tv but changing to my Vizio P55 the Xbox one S destiny looks better compared to the PS4 the upscaler in the One S does a very nice job. But again you have to look hard to notice. In motion most actual gamers are not noticing the little differences that get thrown around here.

4K video and BluRay in the One S is a big selling point when places like BestBuy have One S systems stacked next to their best 4K TV's as a all in one add on to that 4K TV purchase.

The Xbox One S is designed for people who already have an Xbox One, and want 4K video but don't want to wait for Scorpio (ie idiots).

The PS4 Slim is designed for people who don't currently have a PS4, and have no need for 4K anything, because their current TV works just fine, thank you very much (ie me)

Idiots for wanting 4k video and not wanting to wait a year and half for something they may not buy? Interesting

As much as I like what Microsoft have done with the Xbox One S, I think Sony know what they're doing here. Cheap base model for the casual market who are going to be buying these by the masses to play video games and a premium model for enthusiasts who are after a better experience and/or want to take advantage of their shiny new 4K TVs. I can't fault this strategy, because let's face it, the PS4 Slim is going to shift a lot of units, much more than Xbox One S and Neo.

I think it's a shame the PS4 Slim doesn't support 4K Blu Ray at the lower price because the best selling console would be the ideal 4K driver going forward, but alas, it won't.

The problem for Sony is that now the XB1 S can hold its own with the PS4 Slim due to the mismatched feature set. UHD Blu Ray players and TV will be marketed as the next big thing and the XB1 S can rightfully attach itself to it. If given the chance at the same price point, why wouldn't the average consumer choose to get a UHD Blu Ray with the XB1 S?

In fact now that I think about it, I have a friend that just bought a UHD TV, and he does not have either the XB1 or PS4. I've been trying to get him to get a PS4 for a year or so, but I now have to think an XB1 S would be a better fit for him as that would actually give him some UHD content to show on his UHD TV. Everybody who buys a UHD TV will make this exact same calculation. All they know is that UHD is the new 'better' tech, and only the XB1 S offers UHD in their price range.

Ghandi

Banned
I can't help but wonder if said Youtube commenter was banned from NeoGAF for being a racist shitstain.

hmmm adonno..
Neogaf has lots of lurkers.

Thing is
people like reading their own opinion.
So if people read neogaf and dont like the stuff their reading, they dont like neogaf.

So people tend to seek places where they can readtheir opinion,
And the more radical you are, the more radical people you seek to communicate with.
So... damn.
Let me put this train of thought in a spoiler because it goes pretty offtopic:
If you look at Breitbart.com for example, the comments are the WORST. "Worst"doesnt even quite cut it, but iI dont have time to come up with something better. But its not unmoderated. I even tried to leave some common sense there. Nothing personal, quite moderate, but not in the sense of the agenda of the site. Got deleted by mods. While others talk Breitbart-talk iukwim. Somebody could wonder if they try to foster their echochamber even more with the weeding of contraarguments in the comments. Here is a great video about this "echochamber"thing by cgpgrey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE3j_RHkqJc
Sorry for the offtopic please dont hurt me

EmiPrime

The problem for Sony is that now the XB1 S can hold its own with the PS4 Slim due to the mismatched feature set. UHD Blu Ray players and TV will be marketed as the next big thing and the XB1 S can rightfully attach itself to it. If given the chance at the same price point, why wouldn't the average consumer choose to get a UHD Blu Ray with the XB1 S?

In fact now that I think about it, I have a friend that just bought a UHD TV, and he does not have either the XB1 or PS4. I've been trying to get him to get a PS4 for a year or so, but I now have to think an XB1 S would be a better fit for him as that would actually give him some UHD content to show on his UHD TV. Everybody who buys a UHD TV will make this exact same calculation. All they know is that UHD is the new 'better' tech, and only the XB1 S offers UHD in their price range.

That's what the Neo is for.

EmiPrime

I don't see why that's so hard for some people to understand

Me neither.

Sony's target audience for the PS4 Slim do not care about having a device that can play the 10 UHD Blurays currently out. It's a pointless extra expense for a games console that Sony probably want to sell for $250.

I think his point is that the Neo won't be $299 and there's no PS4 available at that price point capable of UHD.

I don't think Sony need to go after that tiny audience that have bought a 4K television and a 4K AV receiver but balk at paying $400+ for the most powerful games console. I think they're okay with MS having that insignificant slice of the pie.

truth411

You got to be kidding me, spec wise as a game console the PS4 completely beats the Xbox one S. Folks are overestimating the value of 4k Blu-ray player. The popularity of streaming content is going nowhere but up. It's going to be $299.

firelogic

Yeah because it's a genius move for them to make a more expensive xbox one and sell it at the same price as the current one which has additional features over the original which segments their market only to be replaced again by the scorpio in a year. Brilliant move.

This slim is like every other slim that came before it. It's a cheaper version to sell at a cheaper price. You want an upgrade? Buy the Neo or wait for the Scorpio or buy an XB1 S. You have options. Bitching and moaning on forums isn't going to do anything for you.

Back on topic. Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the slim allows the DS4 to be plugged in and pass data. i.e. for those latency monsters, it'll reduce it over the current ps4 which does not allow data to pass through the USB cable. Even when it's plugged in, it's still using bluetooth. Engagdet had an article about it today.

Elios83

The average consumer isn't going to care about the APU or price of RAM either. For them the feature list of the console is what's going to matter. The XB1 S can list HDR and UHD Blu-ray player on the box and the average consumer is going to know what they are. The PS4's memory type is just going to get confused looks. To the average consumer it's going to be a wash at best, but most likely they will want to future proof by getting an UHD Blu-ray player with the XB1 S.

By not matching capabilities the PS4 prevents direct comparisons to the XB1 S. Since the UHD will get marketed as the next tech improvement the XB1 S will be seen as the console of the future while the PS4 Slim will just be a cheaper version of the console of the past. Once again this is all from the point of view of the average consumer who doesn't follow tech that closely.

Without a price advantage this will hurt the PS4 Slim. However the PS4 brand has the momentum advantage so the XB1 Slim won't likely overtake it, but the PS4 Slim will lose ground if it is not cheaper.

In these years the average consumer has got pretty clear the message that PS4 is the console running games better.
Has that changed in the feature list? :p Has it suddenly become a less important selling point in a game console compared to a UHD drive? :D
UHD is a nice bonus but that's it, it's a really niche thing that only extreme AV-enthusiasts care about. The average consumer doesn't even care about Blu Ray, go figure UHD BR!
I don't understand why you're talking about it as if it was the next big thing. It absolutely isn't and never will be. Physical formats are a thing of the past.
Sony has an obvious strategy which is to bring the current PS4 to the mainstream market while 4K and more premium features like better hardware will be implemented in a specific model targeted at enthusiasts and core gamers.
It's a different strategy, it's not like they won't offer those features at all, they're offering them in a product that is designed from the ground-up to appeal more to the target consumer actually interested in having those features and that is not the mainstream consumer who couldn't care less about 4K. This strategy makes total sense.
Microsoft doesn't have an other product until late 2017 so they're adding these things to what they have now.

Er, that's a pretty big fallacy.

I can tell you i would not have supported MS's plans for DRM regardless of who else was in the market.

You are making the mistake that you represent the general public. That is a common fallacy for people on NeoGaf. It's just like all the people who claim they want privacy yet, Shoppers Surprisingly Willing To Give Up Privacy For Deals.

DRM was important because there was a better option that also allowed you to avoid it. Without that option, people would have just suched it up and bought the XB1.

You got to be kidding me, spec wise as a game console the PS4 completely beats the Xbox one S. Folks are overestimating the value of 4k Blu-ray player. The popularity of streaming content is going nowhere but up. It's going to be $299.

At $299 it doesn't offer much value for the consumer when they can get an original PS4 for that price or less this holiday season. It would be a cheaper model for Sony to produce while offering no benefit to the consumer.

Rainer70

Me neither.

Sony's target audience for the PS4 Slim do not care about having a device that can play the 10 UHD Blurays currently out. It's a pointless extra expense for a games console that Sony probably want to sell for $250.

I don't think Sony need to go after that tiny audience that have bought a 4K television and a 4K AV receiver but balk at paying $400+ for the most powerful games console. I think they're okay with MS having that insignificant slice of the pie.

I agree with this, was trying to make the other poster's thoughts more clear.

Just graduated with 2 really good per diem jobs so put in me in the camp of grabbing a 4k TV (thinking the Samsung KS8000 @ Black Friday) with a Neo (will prob pick up day 1 just for the non-4k/VR enhancements).

Top Bottom