• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps4 Software sales Reach 401.1 million

Blam

As someone who takes joy in the commercial success of video games, I'm all like

giphy.gif

What a great time to be alive.

Come on Microsoft, have a good E3. Come on Switch, we need you in this, too. I wish everybody success.

Yeah they all need to succeed.

Streaks

Makes me wonder as well what is actually included in those #s. Do you count just the games sold, PS+ titles, do expansions like those of Destiny count individually, how paid DLC counts towards it? It's an incredible feat nonetheless, just curious. Also, I imagine #s like these are going to be the norm with more digital sales being a thing this generation more than ever.

It's not the total number that's insane, it's the attach rate. Jesus Christ, people are buying games like they're bread and water!

entremet

Plays it safe?

Nice number of sales. Only will continue to grow with console prices dropping and the good content coming
Nothing really revolutionary he means. It's the same formula they've relied on since PS1. Easy to develop for system that is reasonably priced with great third party support.

Both MS and Nintendo whiffed this generation. MS with overpriced and under powered hardware thanks to the casual set top box angle and Kinect gamble and Nintendo with the Wii U catastrophe.

joecanada

Can someone explain the Scorpio joke? I'm out of the loop.

It's just mocking that in every sales thread for a while Xbox fans would bring some kind of various reasons why Scorpio will sell tens of millions and save the brand, win the war, etc ... It's kind of a funny jab but got overused alot. Also exagerated truth wise because they weren't all delusional or fanboys some were just discussing Scorpio possibly

TI82

Banned
So PS2 was around 71.30 million sold in its 4th year. PS4 is only 10 million away and with the games coming out this year I could see them hitting that my November. This is crazy.

Can someone explain the Scorpio joke? I'm out of the loop.

As others have explained, there was a thread about PS4 sales, and (I believe) GAFer "statham" (known to be a big fan of the Xbox brand) came in with a post that simply said "Scorpio."

Now many people use it humorously to try to derail any thread, no matter the topic. But, as with other memes, it's quickly getting overused and quite frankly, old. It was funny at first, though.

Does anyone know the software numbers for previous gens at this point in their lifetime?

PS3: 261.2 million
NDS: 330.81 million
Wii: 509.66 million
These are shipped figures though (This PS4 data is sell trough)

MS hasn't ever given data about sw sales. PS4 has already passed total SW sales of GBA (377.42 million) and SNES (379.06 million)

145 games purchased on my PS4. That includes PS+ though.

Damn I thought I was doing well. 129 for me, including PS+ they are all digital too apart from Last of Us which is the only physical game I own.

Only problem is now I feel compelled to stick with Sony no matter what now so I can keep my extensive library so the only way I will be able to jump ship is if PS5 is not backwards compatible with PS4 titles. I'm sure that was Sony's plan all along with all these fantastic sales, get us all tied into their ecosystem.

joecanada

MS hasn't ever given data about sw sales. PS4 has already passed total SW sales of GBA (377.42 million) and SNES (379.06 million)

Is it known what Wii approximate total was ? There must have been some dropoff after that boom so just wondering what total is

Alo0oy

Banned
Nothing really revolutionary he means. It's the same formula they've relied on since PS1. Easy to develop for system that is reasonably priced with great third party support.

What? This is the first Playstation that was created as "easy to develop for".

I-hate-u

Wii is so high. What sold so much on Wii other than Kart/Wii Sports/Fit?

Top Bottom