• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps4 Software sales Reach 401.1 million

Is it known what Wii approximate total was ? There must have been some dropoff after that boom so just wondering what total is

916.15 million. X360 and PS3 should be somewhere around that figure too so yes Wii SW sales slowed down with the hardware. Still during peak years it sold crazy amount of SW

That's a very big number. Are they counting Wii Sports there?

Obviously but also Sony is counting all bundled games.

Nothing really revolutionary he means. It's the same formula they've relied on since PS1. Easy to develop for system that is reasonably priced with great third party support.

Both MS and Nintendo whiffed this generation. MS with overpriced and under powered hardware thanks to the casual set top box angle and Kinect gamble and Nintendo with the Wii U catastrophe.

Even if the system itself was straight forward I still wouldn't call it safe since Sony has brought out or supported so much variety of games at a time when people were worried games were getting narrower over the course of last gen. We didn't have this much variety last gen.

Alo0oy

Banned
916.15 million. X360 and PS3 should be somewhere around that figure too so yes Wii SW sales slowed down with the hardware. Still during peak years it sold crazy amount of SW

I believe the PS3 passed 1 billion sometime in 2013, but I'm too lazy to look for it.

Pretty sure PS+ games are not included in this, neither are expansions and DLC. I do wonder about free-to-play games though, for example Let It Die was downloaded 1 million times, but I don't think they would accept it as a "sale".

fastmower

As someone who takes joy in the commercial success of video games, I'm all like

giphy.gif

What a great time to be alive.

Come on Microsoft, have a good E3. Come on Switch, we need you in this, too. I wish everybody success.
We need more people like you.

Only 7? I've bought more than that just for PSVR.

I guess after Xmas, there's lots of people with new systems and only a few games. I wonder how much the attach rate varies throughout the year when console sales slow down.

Edit: Glad they're acknowledging the lack of PSVR units - and hope they're actually going to improve that situation soon. They're losing game sales by not having units on shelves, and that hurts dev support.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Nothing really revolutionary he means. It's the same formula they've relied on since PS1. Easy to develop for system that is reasonably priced with great third party support.

Both MS and Nintendo whiffed this generation. MS with overpriced and under powered hardware thanks to the casual set top box angle and Kinect gamble and Nintendo with the Wii U catastrophe.

I heard form some here that the PS2 and 3 wasnt easy to develop for tho. Especially PS3. And I dont think the PS3 was considered reasonably priced at $599.

I wouldnt say they played it safe by charging for online MP.
Or the redesign of the Dual Shock.

And some of the games they greenlit. No Mans Sky, The Order, Until Dawn to name a few.

I will say they did play it safe with the console overall vs what MS's orig vision was. But that payed off big time while MS is still trying to recover from their launch.

So PS2 was around 71.30 million sold in its 4th year. PS4 is only 10 million away and with the games coming out this year I could see them hitting that my November. This is crazy.

PS3: 261.2 million
NDS: 330.81 million
Wii: 509.66 million
These are shipped figures though (This PS4 data is sell trough)

MS hasn't ever given data about sw sales. PS4 has already passed total SW sales of GBA (377.42 million) and SNES (379.06 million)

Still tracking close to PS2 and Wii in some categories huh....

Amazing.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I believe the PS3 passed 1 billion sometime in 2013, but I'm too lazy to look for it.

If this is true, this flew under the radar.

All I know is Sony hasnt discontinued it yet so it must be still doing something.

Welfare

PS4 software was at 369.6M when they hit 50M PS4's sold, so they sold 31.5M in the last 4 weeks of December.

Yeah, should be another strong year for software. Some solid stuff coming out. In fact, PS4 frequent software releases is likely why I won't be getting my Switch day one. Just too many games to play

I've bought PS4 software faster than literally every other platform I've ever owned. Between retail releases and frequent digital sales my PS4 library went over 100 titles in under a year. Sony knocked this out of the park.

Same (well, technically tied). From 2006-2009 I bought 40 PS3 games. From 2013-2016 (same amount of years) I also bought 40 PS4 games. I have to assume my PS4 pace will pass PS3 this year because in 2009 my PS3 died (for a second time, first being in 2008) and it did not get repaired until mid-2010. So, provided my PS4 stays healthy (knock on wood), I think I'll at least keep on pace with PS3, if not pass it. I think it will stay healthy though, because I realized after the second PS3 death, I just was not providing my PS3 with proper ventilation (the first death coincided with a firmware update, so I didn't put 2 and 2 together at that point). My third PS3 has been working (for the most part) since 2010 (I ended up with 76 PS3 games). My PS4 has had proper ventilation since day one (literally, as I picked it up on November 15th, 2013).

2006- 2 games
2007- 14 games
2008- 16 games
2009- 8 games
2010- 8 games

2013- 4 games
2014- 12 games
2015- 8 games
2016- 16 games
2017- None yet

Gwyn

As someone who takes joy in the commercial success of video games, I'm all like

giphy.gif

What a great time to be alive.

Come on Microsoft, have a good E3. Come on Switch, we need you in this, too. I wish everybody success.

No we need only one
Ouya

Congrats to Sony, still waiting for a good ps4 pro bundle to jump in

By the end of Q1 this year I'll have added 9 games to that... and then a 10th on April 4th. This years insane

Edit: will actually be one more if Yooka-Laylee hits Q1

LordofPwn

I have a feeling I might be skewing those numbers higher...

Just this weekend I bought:
I am Bread
Surgeon Simulator
Peggle 2
Hitman Go
Sleeping Dogs: DE
Star Wars Bounty Hunter
JackBox Party Pack 1
JackBox Party Pack 2

Under Games in my library I have 167 items, less than 30 of them are demos or free to play. Under purchased I have 255 items ~70 of which I would not classify as Games that cost money. It does include PS+ so take those out and that's how many faces I've bought and/or gifted...

crinale

PS3: 261.2 million
NDS: 330.81 million
Wii: 509.66 million
These are shipped figures though (This PS4 data is sell trough)

MS hasn't ever given data about sw sales. PS4 has already passed total SW sales of GBA (377.42 million) and SNES (379.06 million)

Wait, did NDS sold less software than Wii? Quite shocking.. Do you mean 3DS?

dcx4610

The Wii's 916 million says hi.

400 million is good but it's in line with other successful consoles. Nothing mindblowing.

Zetta

Good god this is great for Sony. I hope Microsoft and Nintendo do great as well in the coming years so we have more options and variety. Right now I'm at 15 games for the PS4not counting digital and so many more to come ; ;. I beginning to think that Sony should give us a grace period of 4-5 months to catch up.

bonej

People buying a console for 7 games. lol

Tie rate has always been ridiculously low with consoles. Might be cause busy working people buy without actual time/interest in playing games and people buying the console solely for exclusives.

bonej

I have a feeling I might be skewing those numbers higher...

Just this weekend I bought:
I am Bread
Surgeon Simulator
Peggle 2
Hitman Go
Sleeping Dogs: DE
Star Wars Bounty Hunter
JackBox Party Pack 1
JackBox Party Pack 2

Under Games in my library I have 167 items, less than 30 of them are demos or free to play. Under purchased I have 255 items ~70 of which I would not classify as Games that cost money. It does include PS+ so take those out and that's how many faces I've bought and/or gifted...
I have the feeling that everyone on this forum ups the average.

Icolin

Banned
Can someone explain the Scorpio joke? I'm out of the loop.

Someone said "Scorpio" in a thread about PS4 sales, i cant remember which. That was all that was said.

It's just mocking that in every sales thread for a while Xbox fans would bring some kind of various reasons why Scorpio will sell tens of millions and save the brand, win the war, etc ... It's kind of a funny jab but got overused alot. Also exagerated truth wise because they weren't all delusional or fanboys some were just discussing Scorpio possibly

Statham posted it in a PS4 thread out of nowhere without any further explanation iirc and yeah... You know the rest.

As others have explained, there was a thread about PS4 sales, and (I believe) GAFer "statham" (known to be a big fan of the Xbox brand) came in with a post that simply said "Scorpio."

Now many people use it humorously to try to derail any thread, no matter the topic. But, as with other memes, it's quickly getting overused and quite frankly, old. It was funny at first, though.

Here's the post in question: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227692376&postcount=346

GeoramA

That's a pretty healthy number. And so many big hitters still to come...God of War, Horizon, Spider-Man, TLoU II, and Death Stranding are going to put up some big numbers.

Icolin

Banned
That's a pretty healthy number. And so many big hitters still to come...God of War, Horizon, Spider-Man, TLoU II, and Death Stranding are going to put up some big numbers.

Plus sleeper hits like Days Gone, Detroit, Sucker Punch's game.

Top Bottom