• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're doing it wrong. Stick your tongue out, touch your tongue to your cheek and you'll taste it.

Nah...thanks for the advise though. Just a bit annoyed at people asking...why are people buying the XOne is all. Regardless, awesome number by Sony, hopefully people are enjoying their chosen device as much as I'm enjoying my XOne.

Peace!

iamvin22

Industry Verified
That's the joke.

so i have to ask, how well do you think the PS4 will do at launch in japan and will there be a dynasty warrior at launch?

also who do you think is going to be first to launch in china now that the system ban is gone?

Maybe my math is off but if the PS4 sold 4.2 mill at $400 and the X-One sold 3+ mill at $500 aren't they almost the same figures?

The industry doesn't work like that. If the Xbox One was $4,000 and the PS4 was $400, MS wouldn't need to sell just 420,000 to be ahead. The profit margin on consoles is razor thin compared to the attach rate of games over the course of 5 years.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
so i have to ask, how well do you think the PS4 will do at launch in japan and will there be a dynasty warrior at launch?

also who do you think is going to be first to launch in china now that the system ban is gone?

Dynasty Warriors is a launch title, yeah.
But the Japanese market is hard to predict these days... so who knows. I hope the ease of development spurs more console games out of them this generation.

Shambles

I was hoping the difference was going to be more. I wanted to see Microsoft absolutely nailed for their anti-consumer stuff. Here's to hoping it's a start to an avalanche that continues in 2014.

Maybe my math is off but if the PS4 sold 4.2 mill at $400 and the X-One sold 3+ mill at $500 aren't they almost the same figures?

Why would MS need to drop the price/Kinect? Or bundle it with a game for that matter? They're in the business of making money and right now Sony is not really making more than them despite being a hundred dollars cheaper.

Also, I'm aware of the supply constraints of Sony but MS has not released it's system in all areas as of yet. So while the PS4 will clearly be out front, and I'm sure will stay there due to the price, when MS does launch it will cut into the lead some.

The retail price is meaningless when discussing profit and revenue. Console profit margin is notoriously razor thin.

Most of the profit is going to be coming from software sales, and subscriptions (PS+ and Live). Since Sony is looking at a userbase 1.2+ million higher than microsoft is, that's a significant amount of consumers buying software and signing up to PS+ that increases their bottom line.

Wynnebeck

Banned
You're doing it wrong. Stick your tongue out, touch your tongue to your cheek and you'll taste it.

:lol

But the Japanese market is hard to predict these days... so who knows. I hope the ease of development spurs more console games out of them this generation.

Didn't a Japanese dev just state in an interview that the PS4's architecture being more like a PC is going to help drive down costs for production and in time hopefully give us more games from Japan for PS4?

Probably not. Either way, still incredibly impressive. We'll see how that continues into next year.

it actually has. The WiiU's shipped to retail number was just over 4 million as of november, and we know it hasn't come close to burning through all of that.

The PS4 having a sell through of 4.2 million is well over what anyone has estimated the WiiU to have done yet.

Congrats on the sex, Sony!

Amazing numbers. Only made less impressive down to the supply issues from exceedingly huge demand. What could have been...

Also amazing they have outsold the WiiU (to consumers) in just a few short weeks vs over a year on sale. Absolutely madness and how much of an utter failure WiiU has been. I wonder if they've also sold more software than the WiiU as well?? Here you have over 4 million people gagging for new games, whilst the WiiU is struggling to sell it's more prominent hitters.

iamvin22

Industry Verified

i see sony in japan taking the PS2-japanese approach with the PS4 but allowing for more ease of development with the type of architecture.

but yea the japanese market is hard to predict at this point.

I don't know about eroding software sales, but I would think the PS4 has had such a strong start that companies would be hesitant to sign exclusivity deals at this point.

Hesitant, but not unwilling. With how many companies went belly-up last gen I think people are underestimating the value of guaranteed money.

The more of an edge the PS4 gets the more leverage publishers and devs have in extracting money out of Microsoft for those kinds of deals, but it is very, very unlikely that they'll go away entirely. Game development seems to be an inherently risky proposition and if you're promised you can stay alive for another go around, it might be worth it.

Jburton

Banned
Well done Sony!

Great console and the start of a resurgence that is well deserved, take more risks than any other platform holder / games publisher out there.

Well you knew there were going to be meltdowns either way. I'm surprised some people don't actually read the level of salt they fill their posts with before hitting submit.

ShinMaruku

I'm a wannabe game dev.

Consoles are where I love to game. I want to see that market grow every generation. This gen is projected to be the first contraction since the market crash in 1983. This contraction is projected to be on the order of 100 million units. This is bad thing.

The market is still niche you can't expect insane growth all the time. The market must settle consolidate then grow. Last gen everybody should know their will be a contraction and seeing how very few of the wii owners bought more games I think the money into studios and developers will be the same. I never count the casuals.

i see sony in japan taking the PS2-japanese approach with the PS4 but allowing for more ease of development with the type of architecture.

but yea the japanese market is hard to predict at this point.

It may be hard to predict as to total sales...I don't think there is any question that MS is gonna get backed there...probably 7 or 8 -1

They sold 4 million consoles on hype alone. It's not including Japan. What a farce.

Congratulations Sony, I guess.

C'mon now, what is this?
The mega hiper full power priceless costumer friendly with best games launched in more countries had 1.2 million ahead of its full of shame competitor?

Or am I not seeing something or this is clearly not a number to be THAT proud of?

Someone needs to put Kaz on this gif

tumblr_inline_mnxhtxN0vM1qz4rgp.gif

Hesitant, but not unwilling. With how many companies went belly-up last gen I think people are underestimating the value of guaranteed money.

The more of an edge the PS4 gets the more leverage publishers and devs have in extracting money out of Microsoft for those kinds of deals, but it is very, very unlikely that they'll go away entirely. Game development seems to be an inherently risky proposition and if you're promised you can stay alive for another go around, it might be worth it.

That's true. I wonder if these studios would consider shopping around though. If MS offered them an exclusivity contract for X dollars, would they approach Sony and request a counter-offer? Rhetorical Q, just wondering aloud.

gioGAF

Congrats to Sony!

This thread has also delivered salt in spades. Salty tears, meltdowns and xbone shenanigans have been outstanding. Keep it up GAF :)

TRios Zen

I think given the relative euphoria around the announce of the PS4, the price differential and the fact that it has been released in more markets, the only thing keeping this from being a larger sales discrepancy is availability.

This coming from someone who bought a Xbox One day one (but will eventually buy a PS4 as well).

I hope the ease of development spurs more console games out of them this generation.

If so we only have to worry about them getting released outside of Japan. Non-text or dialogue heavy games we can just import but there is no way I could get through a game like Yakuza in Japanese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom