• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
hewaswrongwvqm4.png

Too bad he got (perm?) banned. I've been saving his posts for a while now.

Dawg does not forget

I haven't seen senjitsusage around in awhile, was he banned also?

Ipad sales in the same period, 29 million

I'm new here, but is this kind of drive by nonsense allowed?

Should we also state how many chromebooks or nexus 7s or Intel processors were sold christmas 2013?

It's not directly comparable so it feels like a troll comment to me. The only thing that can come of it is arguing.

I see Xbones sitting on shelves everywhere I go. I know a ton of game developers, and sure, lots of us have had them forced into our hands, but not a single one has purchased a bone of their own volition. Who the hell is buying 3 million of these things?

I have one, my brother has one...and my brother in-law who was over for the Holidays went out an bought one because he couldn't put Forza down.

Your salt is delicious.

Drek

Disagree. As Pachter has long said, it's a wise financial move to eat money on the console and make it price competitive.

Then they can make the battle about the games rather than the hardware and price.

For what it's worth; I have absolutely no interest in buying an X1, and I do own a PS4.

They can't when the powers that be within MS aren't committed to the Xbox line.

They did exactly what you describe with the Xbox throughout it's life and the Xbox 360 for it's first several years. Ate hardware losses to move units. All the old guard from those days have left and what you're left with is people with their eyes on Apple and Google, not Sony and Nintendo, running the show. They aren't likely to underwrite a ton of red ink for a product that would need a 25% price cut, all out of pocket, to compete.

Add that they're looking for a new CEO who will almost certainly not bring a pro-Xbox sentiment to the post, and will be dealing with multiple shareholders already publicly calling for them to sell off the Xbox brand.

The Xbox One needs to compete with the PS4 near term or it will be in dangerous territory, especially if Sony keeps their hardware margins tight. The Xbox One will likely take longer to come down in cost (more components in the box, much larger transistor count on the SoC). If Sony drops to $350 before MS even hits $450 it's pour one out for Xbox time, and that has a non-trivial chance of happening. If Sony simply hangs on to a $50-$100 MSRP advantage going forward for the next two years it won't treat MS' offering well.

Finalizer

You could say his ban was... oVerdue.

ohyou.tiff

Good for them!

Wonder how long the sales velocity thing is gonna stick to ya, heh.

Too bad he got (perm?) banned. I've been saving his posts for a while now.

Dawg does not forget

Such a pity to be unable to revel in petty gloating~

Still funny to reflect on just what the hell went down last year. Frankly, hardly anyone would've believed it if it'd all been foretold the year prior. As a wise fellow once said, "Shit was whack."

slider

Next gen is a go! Great numbers for both machines.

Coincidentally I saw an advert in a free UK paper today saying something along the lines of "PS4 has been shipped to stores so is back in stock!" Crazy.

CoG

The cheaper, more powerful console prevails. All is good in the world. Now they need to erode the Xbox software sales so MS has to think twice before dumping hundreds of millions to secure exclusives.

Arsenic

Nope. This is still only 2.6%, roughly, of the previous gen's install base.

You're still better off releasing cross-gen for quite some time.

More like 4.5%.

PS3 + 360 sales. Not counting the Wii, because you weren't counting the WiiU in that 7.2 million number. I also don't believe a huge uptake in sales for the WiiU will help hardcore gamers at all.

so, 4.5% in less than two months before ANY huge game releases while supply is still constrained is fucking remarkable. Especially predicted at the "doom and gloom" time of mobile and tablet gaming taking over.

Dawg

Still funny to reflect on just what the hell went down last year. Frankly, hardly anyone would've believed it if it'd all been foretold the year prior. As a wise fellow once said, "Shit was whack."

Never assume things in this industry, I guess.

The cheaper, more powerful console prevails. All is good in the world. Now they need to erode the Xbox software sales so MS has to think twice before dumping hundreds of millions to secure exclusives.

I don't know about eroding software sales, but I would think the PS4 has had such a strong start that companies would be hesitant to sign exclusivity deals at this point.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I also thought Sony shouldn't have made a PS4 in the PS3 era. Eating crow right now, those are incredible numbers, Sony really did a good job. We'll have to see if they can keep up though, next couple of years will be fun, especially this year, because console landscape is changing rapidly.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

And you know what it sounds like...the Android vs iPhone wars all over again.

One has a higher profit margin, so they win. One is selling more...so they win. I guess this is expected in any industry. Like I say in the Android vs iPhone debates....they both are winning at their goals.

Of course the PS4 being cheaper is more appealing to some, you can only blame MS for making Kinect hardware mandatory for their launch consoles.

And whoever thinks any console has "won the war" after a few months is crazy. History of the PS3 and 360 should tell anyone that...or the history of the Wii and Wii U. Anything...anything can happen over the next few years. I wouldnt even bother to write an article addressing fanboy battles. That to me says it all about the article.

I've been reading GAF for a long time, but I never understood this. The picture is taken from the perspective of someone who is inside, looking outside (you see trees and the sky outside). We see the reflection of Wii U, which must therefore be inside as well.
Could someone please explain this to me?

The WiiU is out in the cold rain. Fading from memory as the true next gen consoles grab the spotlight.

More like 4.5%.

PS3 + 360 sales. Not counting the Wii, because you weren't counting the WiiU in that 7.2 million number. I also don't believe a huge uptake in sales for the WiiU will help hardcore gamers at all.

so, 4.5% in less than two months before ANY huge game releases while supply is still constrained is fucking remarkable. Especially predicted at the "doom and gloom" time of mobile and tablet gaming taking over.

Not to mention that huge partion of last gen userbase is already inactive.

CoG

I don't know about eroding software sales, but I would think the PS4 has had such a strong start that companies would be hesitant to sign exclusivity deals at this point.

My point. It's going to cost MS a heck of a lot more this gen to pull off those tactics. Titanfall better be fucking amazing because it's probably the last 3rd party exclusive they can buy.

I think people need to remember that Xbone sales are shipped where PS4 are sold to customers.

But PS4 knocks it out. Now continue because demand is still high.

Teletraan1

Banned
Then the dedicated gaming market has already seen a contraction. The PS3/360 are at a 20 million unit deficit to the PS2/Xbox/GCN.

Why would you remove the ENTIRE Wii userbase other than to come to the conclusion that the overall market is contracting. Not everyone who bought the Wii was some mindless soccer mom or grandfather, it had the usual Nintendo fanbase plus that crowd. You could probably attribute 25M+ to your total and that puts it at a slight increase for the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom