• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyw85

Banned
Well the multiplayer is a horrible pile of crap which runs at 30-60fps *all the time*, and single player seems to be plagued with bugs just in the first level, collectables falling through scenery and that I couldn't access.
I just finished the single player and honestly didn't notice any bugs that I can remember. I wouldn't say i'd played it to death though, and certainly wasn't looking for collectables. Decent game all in all, but not tried MP yet. If it is a horrible pile or crap i'll be trading it in.

rvy

Banned
C'mon now, what is this?
The mega hiper full power priceless costumer friendly with best games launched in more countries had 1.2 million ahead of its full of shame competitor?

Or am I not seeing something or this is clearly not a number to be THAT proud of?

Do not be sad.

Be joyous.

That's true. I wonder if these studios would consider shopping around though. If MS offered them an exclusivity contract for X dollars, would they approach Sony and request a counter-offer? Rhetorical Q, just wondering aloud.

I'd imagine they do that right now if they can get so much as the time of day from each of them. It would be foolish not to compare offers if there are actually multiple offers to be had, especially since a 'small' difference in the offers could be a six figure amount (depending on the game of course).

Since day one, don't let those Microsoft lies fool you.

Indeed, marketshare != install base.

Well the multiplayer is a horrible pile of crap which runs at 30-60fps *all the time*, and single player seems to be plagued with bugs just in the first level, collectables falling through scenery and that I couldn't access.

I wouldn't say it's the greatest MP out there, but "a pile of crap". Man, that's pushing it a little far. I love the MP.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Good for them!

peter-parker-grin.jpg

I'm a wannabe game dev.

Consoles are where I love to game. I want to see that market grow every generation. This gen is projected to be the first contraction since the market crash in 1983. This contraction is projected to be on the order of 100 million units. This is bad thing.

your reasoning is bad, and you should feel bad.

The Wii audience (the 100 million you point at) was only actually relevant for a very brief period of time, and most major publishers never really managed to leverage them.

EA, Ubi, Activision, Square Enix, Capcom, etc have been targeting the PS360 audience exclusively for years now, because the Wii audience was notoriously unpredictable and did not buy the games that the industry had been geared up to produce. It's YOY sales that matter here, not "generation over generation." Exclude nintendo's offerings (wii fit, wii sports, etc) and you're left with only a few dance games doing any kinds of numbers. Your calculations also ignore that PC has exploded with Steam, and is way, WAY larger than it's ever been while catering to the same audience as the PS360.

The core gaming audience (the one that was present on GCN, Xbox, and PS2) grew last gen, it didn't shrink, and all indications are that it will continue to grow with the record breaking launches of the PS4 and XboxOne. If you're a nintendo only gamer you might not be too pleased, but that audience has been shrinking generation over generation since the NES.

Congrats to Sony!

This thread has also delivered salt in spades. Salty tears, meltdowns and xbone shenanigans have been outstanding. Keep it up GAF :)

Best time to read GAF is when console wars are in full effect, like now... so much entertainment !!! pop corn time !!!

Portugeezer

Gold Member
your reasoning is bad, and you should feel bad.

The Wii audience (the 100 million you point at) was only actually relevant for a very brief period of time, and most major publishers never really managed to leverage them.

EA, Ubi, Activision, Square Enix, Capcom, etc have been targeting the PS360 audience exclusively for years now, because the Wii audience was notoriously unpredictable and did not buy the games that the industry had been geared up to produce. It's YOY sales that matter here, not "generation over generation." Exclude nintendo's offerings (wii fit, wii sports, etc) and you're left with only a few dance games doing any kinds of numbers. Your calculations also ignore that PC has exploded with Steam, and is way, WAY larger than it's ever been while catering to the same audience as the PS360.

The core gaming audience (the one that was present on GCN, Xbox, and PS2) grew last gen, it didn't shrink, and all indications are that it will continue to grow with the record breaking launches of the PS4 and XboxOne. If you're a nintendo only gamer you might not be too pleased, but that audience has been shrinking generation over generation since the NES.
This. I can't say I cared much about the Nintendo's growth with the Wii and the imminent downfall Wii U is facing, even if as a whole that would make total console sales lower. Whether they are on Wii or now tablets/smartphones, I don't give a shit about the "non-gamer" gamers.

Zachi

Banned
That's like EA saying:

"Wow Sony, congratulations on the number! We're still frieds right? We're friends aren't we?"

Hahahaha.......so delicious, Sony can stick it up to EA, they may let a few of EA calls go unanswered

......and to Capcom too, another un-grateful bunch of sob

system11

I just finished the single player and honestly didn't notice any bugs that I can remember. I wouldn't say i'd played it to death though, and certainly wasn't looking for collectables. Decent game all in all, but not tried MP yet. If it is a horrible pile or crap i'll be trading it in.

Well, try it out - the frame rate was a deal breaker for me, as well as the horrible FOV. I don't mind games that try to run at 60 and drop some of the time, but honestly I found one corridor where it ran at 60, just for a bit.

Jack_AG

Banned
C'mon now, what is this?
The mega hiper full power priceless costumer friendly with best games launched in more countries had 1.2 million ahead of its full of shame competitor?

Or am I not seeing something or this is clearly not a number to be THAT proud of?
Correct. Selling 40% more units than your competitor is nothing to be proud of. 40% is a razor thin margin.

gioGAF

I hope the strong PS4 sales figures have a positive effect on Japanese developers.

I think Japanese developers dropped the ball last gen because of the confusion created by the x360's success. They tried to support x360 as best they could and lagged behind on PS3 support. They should have supported the Sony console to at least an equal degree. By not doing so, they shot themselves in the foot (Sony needed their support from the get go, x360 was irrelevant in their home market, those games that were coming to the x360 only would have been more profitable if they had been on PS3 as well).

The gap is smaller than I thought it would be. I don't think it matters what side of the console fence you're on, right now everyone's winning, no?

RayMaker

Banned
so is this

''for every 3 X1's sold, 4 PS4's are sold''

or

''the PS4 has about a 1.2 million lead''

further down the line will it be

PS4 has sold 40mill and the X1 has sold 30 million

or

PS4 has sold 40.2 million and the X1 has sold 39 million?

So far i think its going with the first scenario, but I think MS will do something to close the gap by 5 million, so it will be 40 mill for PS4 and 35 mill for X1.

I never got caught up in console sale numbers before the next gen launch....

But dayum!! Kinda puts sales numbers of other current consoles in perspective...this is with it launching about 2 months ago. Selling more than their direct competition and still sold out in many places?

Wow.

Regardless... XBO and their sales are nothing to sneeze at.
Congrats to both....especially with articles saying console gaming is dying, or the articles about games not selling well recently. Now lets hope MS and Sony can deliver games, get games delivered by 3rd parties that help keep this trend going.

I wanna be part of the next gen revolution so bad. Now its time to go look at that CES stream. Only thing I can think of as a negative is the PS4 might not get a price drop anytime soon. That might be in MS's favor. Unless Sony start matching price drops tit for tat..

dude, you have my avatar. :(

so is this

''for every 3 X1's sold, 4 PS4's are sold''

or

''the PS4 has about a 1.2 million lead''

further down the line will it be

PS4 has sold 40mill and the X1 has sold 30 million

or

PS4 has sold 40.2 million and the X1 has sold 39 million?

So far i think its going with the first scenario, but I think MS will do something to close the gap by 5 million, so it will be 40 mill for PS4 and 35 mill for X1.

We don't have the sell-through rate. It's presumably higher for the PS4 than it is for the XBONE, but that is just based on a lot of anecdotes.

My thought is that the more likely scenario long-term is actually the PS4 doubling the XBONE's install base unless Microsoft can narrow the price gap. It's possible they could do considerably better than that, but that is a lot less likely. Sony just has more brand power as a console maker, even with the 360 doing so well last generation.

To keep it close long-term I think XBONE would need to be closer to price parity. I don't see a realistic way of that happening without Microsoft dropping Kinect or taking large losses and neither seems probable.

Actually Sonys winning which means Nintendo and Micrisift are losing.

Well, if we're going to go that route, PC is winning and will always win, so everyone should just quit, right?

Anyway, with Sony in the lead, MS and Nintendo will try harder to compete, meaning that we, the consumer, will win...

...Is basically what I was trying to say.

The gap is smaller than I thought it would be. I don't think it matters what side of the console fence you're on, right now everyone's winning, no?

yes and no.

MS is so heavily dependent on the US and UK market, that they need a VERY dominant lead in both territories to remain relevant. (a 24+ million unit lead over Sony last round in the US resulted in a tie, worldwide for instance) So far with the launches we've seen so far, Sony is killing them here, and MS isn't bothering to compete in half of EU or in Japan, where sony will just run up the score.

If trends hold, you're going to see a severe decline for the MS install base this generation, down to roughly somewhere between 40-60 million units, which may not be enough for MS to justify making an XboxTwo.

Wow that's higher than expected.

Wide-spread shortages obviously hurt this figure, as impressive as it is, I can only imagine how much higher that number would be if you could actually find one of these things!

RayMaker

Banned
Actually Sonys winning which means Nintendo and Micrisift are losing.

If product ''A'' is successful and product ''B'' is more successful product B's extra success does not make product A less successful.

I suppose it depends on how you define success. Although in business and Microsoft's eyes the X1 is a great success so far.

And some people thought 5 million by March was a stretch goal.

Sony winning worldwide isn't surprising, though- the more interesting number is going to be how they did vs. XBone in the US.

Perkel

Banned
7.2 mln consoles sold this 2 month period...

Crazy numbers considering it is launch and one of them is supply constrained

Well, if we're going to go that route, PC is winning and will always win, so everyone should just quit, right?

Anyway, with Sony in the lead, MS and Nintendo will try harder to compete, meaning that we, the consumer, will win...

...Is basically what I was trying to say.

PC doesn't lend itself to comparisons given the more varied use cases and multitude of component manufacturers and services involved.

I'll agree where we are currently is the best outcome we could expect for next-gen thus far though.

If product ''A'' is successful and product ''B'' is more successful product B's extra success does not make product A less successful.

I suppose it depends on how you define success. Although in business and Microsoft's eyes the X1 is a great success so far.

Success is general measured against ones' peers. Sandisk was pretty successful in the MP3 player market but they got stomped by Apple in sales so they're considered an afterthought.

Same deal here even if the margin isn't nearly as large. People like to rank and classify things, we need a winner. Just saying 'they're all doing well' isn't satisfactory even if it were true (and it isn't-sorry Wii U).

I think you need to define "more" and "less" first.

Minions

Isn't their target 5mil by March? LOL, modest Sony.

Perhaps they didn't want to get bit like Nintendo did with the Wii-U. Honestly launching products.... you really can't tell what is going to happen. The Vita had a great launch lineup.... and look what happened.

If Sony indeed jumps back into the lead I really hope we see a sharp decline in the FPS genre.

I remember the glory days of the PS2 when every genre seemed to be well represented. Right now ... bleh.

My guess is they are WAY in the lead in Europe, 2:1 in UK and will lose December NPD by a very small margin, like 10K units or something negligible. But enough for Kotaku / Polygon 5 page articles and atleast 10 MS tweets.

RayMaker

Banned
We don't have the sell-through rate. It's presumably higher for the PS4 than it is for the XBONE, but that is just based on a lot of anecdotes.

My thought is that the more likely scenario long-term is actually the PS4 doubling the XBONE's install base unless Microsoft can narrow the price gap. It's possible they could do considerably better than that, but that is a lot less likely. Sony just has more brand power as a console maker, even with the 360 doing so well last generation.

To keep it close long-term I think XBONE would need to be closer to price parity. I don't see a realistic way of that happening without Microsoft dropping Kinect or taking large losses and neither seems probable.

So far the PS4 has 30-35% sales lead over the X1, I cant see MS doing nothing to let that lead continue or even increase.

I'm a wannabe game dev.

Consoles are where I love to game. I want to see that market grow every generation. This gen is projected to be the first contraction since the market crash in 1983. This contraction is projected to be on the order of 100 million units. This is bad thing.

If that projection comes true, then that contraction will be mostly on Nintendo's account. Wii install base 100 million>>>to whatever Wii U ends up with.

yes and no.

MS is so heavily dependent on the US and UK market, that they need a VERY dominant lead in both territories to remain relevant. (a 24+ million unit lead over Sony last round in the US resulted in a tie, worldwide for instance) So far with the launches we've seen so far, Sony is killing them here, and MS isn't bothering to compete in half of EU or in Japan, where sony will just run up the score.

If trends hold, you're going to see a severe decline for the MS install base this generation, down to roughly somewhere between 40-60 million units, which may not be enough for MS to justify making an XboxTwo.

So let me see if I understand...if PS ends this generation with an install base of 95 million and XOne ends it with 60 million in your opinion that will make the XOne irrelevant?

I was a bit confused since Microsoft released that statement that the Xbox One was the fastest selling console.

...in november, since it launched later in the month than the PS4. Console launches are crazy frontloaded with a million+ picking up in one day, so that allows for some crazy math and PR bullshit to claim "faster sales."

Boogdud

I'd say that too, if I was in second place.

Seriously though, the fallacy that both consoles being a 'success' means the gamers benefit is getting old. It rarely seems to mean anything in this industry, except that games will be more stagnant and devoid of any innovation. Two successes now mean more "me-to" games and genre copy/pastes. Arguably the most original and complete catalog of games was from the PS2 era when there was basically no competition.

The only people that benefit from two successful consoles are the retailers.

Alchemy

yes and no.

MS is so heavily dependent on the US and UK market, that they need a VERY dominant lead in both territories to remain relevant. (a 24+ million unit lead over Sony last round resulted in a tie, worldwide.) So far with the launches we've seen so far, Sony is killing them here, and MS isn't bothering to compete in half of EU or in Japan, where sony will just run up the score.

If trends hold, you're going to see a severe decline for the MS install base this generation, roughly somewhere between 40-60 million units, which may not be enough for MS to justify making an XboxTwo.

If Microsoft only gets out 40-60 million Xbones, I think it gives them justification to go forward with an Xbowo that has all the DRM functionality scrapped from the Xbone. Microsoft wants to have be under the TV of their 'qualified' user base, they're less worried about total sales. They just want to be purchased by the people who will buy into all their online services and subscriptions, being more valuable to them than your average joe who buys a handful of games a year at most.

That was the entire reason the DRM was in the system in the first place, Microsoft was ok sacrificing total installs. It was simply pulled because it impacted their preorder numbers more than anticipated.

If anything, coming in second place but still pushing enough consoles to pull in a profit just makes it more tempting for them to jump into the deep end. They could end up in a similar position to the Vita, low install base but each install is very valuable because they consume so much. Though they would need to have a few more users than the Vita.

So far the PS4 has 30-35% sales lead over the X1, I cant see MS doing nothing to let that lead continue or even increase.

If Microsoft is happy with their sales trajectory and margins in the business it's entirely possible they'll do just that. Microsoft has no CEO to drive a big shift in strategy and if the rumors are correct they are working under a large amount of shareholder pressure to maintain profitability in the unit or get rid of it.

So let me see if I understand...if PS ends this generation with an install base of 95 million and XOne ends it with 60 million in your opinion that will make the XOne irrelevant?

They would be very relevant: in the U.S. It may or may not be the largest market (some claim EU is bigger these days), but historically the long-term outlook for console companies that are only relevant in one region is not so good.

Baki

yes and no.

MS sold approximately 55m consoles between NA + UK (which is about ~70% of the total Xbox 360 install base). So these are very key markets for MS. While Sony sold approximately 30-35m consoles in NA + UK (between 38-43%) but still stands on 80m worldwide. So if MS remeains equal to Sony in these two territories, expect Sony to have at least a 20 million unit lead. This could just as easily rise to a 30 million unit lead.

that's not what I said. 95 million would be CRAZY low for the PS4, btw...PS3 will probably hit that by the end of the generation, and the 360 won't be far off. both of those systems are still selling well.

If the 360 ends up selling 90 million, and the Xbone ends up at 60, it won't be "irrelevant", but it might not be profitable enough for MS to invest in an Xboxtwo, since by and large the Xbox division is not that profitable for MS compared to the rest of the company. It's not losing money (currently) but it's not making money for them either.

lowering sales by 30 million consoles or so might be enough that MS simply sells the division or declines to follow it up, and there has been pressure to do that internally already.

MS sold approximately 55m consoles between NA + UK (which is about ~70% of the total Xbox 360 install base). So these are very key markets for MS. While Sony sold approximately 30-35m consoles in NA + UK (between 38-43%) but still stands on 80m worldwide. So if MS remeains equal to Sony in these two territories, expect Sony to have at least a 20 million unit lead. This could just as easily rise to a 30 million unit lead.

exactly. a "tie" in the US/UK is very bad news for MS, and currently we're looking at a significant loss here, not a tie. Consider also that Sony was SEVERELY supply constrained this holiday and that this number could easily have been way more lopsided.

But no, I don't think the Xbone will ever be "irrelevant" this round, at least not in the sense that the WiiU is. However, being so heavily dependent on a single territory (and a half) though basically puts them in a very vulnerable situation where a followup console might not make sense.

Road

Impressive. I have to serve me some crow since I I said XBO and PS4 wouldn't be able to outship the Wii U due to the lack of Japanese sales. PS4 has probably already outsold the Wii U in the West.

Is the list of countries below right?

Code:
NOV 15
CANADA
UNITED STATES

NOV 29
ARGENTINA
AUSTRALIA
AUSTRIA
BELGIUM
BRAZIL
CHILE