• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papacheeks

Banned
I'd say that too, if I was in second place.

Seriously though, the fallacy that both consoles being a 'success' means the gamers benefit is getting old. It rarely seems to mean anything in this industry, except that games will be more stagnant and devoid of any innovation. Two successes now mean more "me-to" games and genre copy/pastes. Arguably the most original and complete catalog of games was from the PS2 era when there was basically no competition.

The only people that benefit from two successful consoles are the retailers.

Though I do agree with you on the huge catalog of games during the PS2 era. I disagree 100% with competition having not being a factor. Without the PS2 being as dominating as it was because of the PS1's success, we wouldn't have got Xbox to be as aggressive. Hence Bringing pc developers into console games, like Halo, Abe's Odyssey, Fable, Project Gotham racing, Forza, Xbox Live.
Because of Sony's domination in the Single player arena, Microsoft went to Multiplayer, and it proved to work for them. There were more people using Xbox live and internet functions on Original Xbox and Xbox 360 than Sony's early crappy network.

So they both push each other which in the long run makes it so we benefit from it.
We now have PS+ which was a reaction to XBOX Live Gold. We now have games for gold which is a reaction to free PS+ games.
We do win, it makes it so we have more avenue's to play what we want and like.

PS4 and XBONE are putting pressure on Nintendo to reevaluate their situation in the home console space.
Because of steam, we now have cheaper PSN titles and summer of arcade. We now have PSN games available via Amazon digital store.
We do win, and you are wrong on who benefits successful console launches.
If the companies who make the games we love stay in business because people are buying hardware, and want any new game they can get their hands on, we win.

The fact that we are getting more PC Developer's now bringing over their budget steam games to consoles, shows that we win. More consoles sold means more games that will be bought, means more developers will stay in business.
Yes companies benefit, but all in all it is a business, so that's a given.

I mean look at the Big titles releasing in the first year, The Witcher 3, Titanfall, Destiny, Dying Light, Infamous, Halo, bunch of awesome indie titles.
The Renaissance that we had for PS2 is happening again, it's just that both companies are at a more even playing field, maybe with Sony having the lead or edge over it's competition.

Exciting times if you ask me.

Facism

3 million for MS now seems more impressive for a system that costs $100 more and all the DRM backslash. Not saying that 4.2 is bad.

We won't know how that effects things after the initial "shiny new tech" phase and hardcore enthusiasts, to be fair. Both could drop like a rock once that customer-based is served. Both excellent launches, regardless of the ins-and-outs of the business.

dc89 if old, but The Sun newspaper had a full pages advert telling us that ps4's would be back in stock this week. Page 24.

I guess that settles the supply chain vs demand debate that was going on.

Not only has Sony been able to supply more units, it is actually in more demand than Xbox One.

Impressive

Tobor

Anyone who loathes Kinect has won today.

Less than half of the next gen systems sold have a camera, and as such third party Kinect support will continue to be marginal at best. Microsoft's vision of a Kinect in every living room has been thwarted.

Less than half of the next gen systems sold have a camera, and as such third party Kinect support will continue to be marginal at best. Microsoft's vision of a Kinect in every living room has been thwarted.

PS4 camera is flying off the shelves though. I wouldn't start writing the epitaph for kinect just yet.

3 million for MS now seems more impressive for a system that costs $100 more and all the DRM backslash. Not saying that 4.2 is bad.

It is impressive. That's the power of branding and marketing. They are still doing pretty damn good for an overpriced underpowered system.

Sony will likely be everywhere but Micronesia before MS starts supplying their Tier 2 countries.

I had no idea they were launching in so many countries, it's pretty nuts how they've done it without a lot of drama given all of the promises about PS3 being a world-wide launch and then the European delays..

Has any other console rolled out across so many countries so quickly? It makes me wonder how many different languages they're supporting.

artist

Banned
loadingcso4h.gif

Japanese devs didn't do shit for the 360.

Anyway, great numbers for Sony and good for gaming.

Uh...

Blue Dragon?
Lost Odyssey?
Tales of Vesperia?
Eternal Sonata?
Ninja Gaiden 2?
(and others)

Yeah, the last three eventually came to PS3, but you can't say Japanese devs didn't try with the 360 at least at the beginning of the generation. Of course, it didn't mean shit for MS in Japan, but at least they tried.

MS won't get the type of Japanese support they got with the 360 no matter how much money they throw at developers this time, though.

I think it would have been better to go for a simple, cheap, voice control device packed in the console, because while this 100 dollar device is doing nothing remarkable for gaming, owners of the console seem to like walking into a room, saying Xbox on and having everything turned on and ready to go before they pick the controller up.

Not to mention Xbox One launched in far fewer territories than PS4.

The territories MS is in right now are the only ones that sold well for the 360. So basically, they are in the countries that will give them giant sales. The others will be a drop in the bucket in comparison. So that point is invalid.

360 sold 2,000,000 lifetime in Japan over 8 years lol. And that was with pick ups like Final Fantasy, Mistwalker, Panzar Dragoon, Resident Evil, etc.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Though I do agree with you on the huge catalog of games during the PS2 era. I disagree 100% with competition having not being a factor. Without the PS2 being as dominating as it was because of the PS1's success, we wouldn't have got Xbox to be as aggressive. Hence Bringing pc developers into console games, like Halo, Abe's Odyssey, Fable, Project Gotham racing, Forza, Xbox Live.
Because of Sony's domination in the Single player arena, Microsoft went to Multiplayer, and it proved to work for them. There were more people using Xbox live and internet functions on Original Xbox and Xbox 360 than Sony's early crappy network.

So they both push each other which in the long run makes it so we benefit from it.
We now have PS+ which was a reaction to XBOX Live Gold. We now have games for gold which is a reaction to free PS+ games.
We do win, it makes it so we have more avenue's to play what we want and like.

PS4 and XBONE are putting pressure on Nintendo to reevaluate their situation in the home console space.
Because of steam, we now have cheaper PSN titles and summer of arcade. We now have PSN games available via Amazon digital store.
We do win, and you are wrong on who benefits successful console launches.
If the companies who make the games we love stay in business because people are buying hardware, and want any new game they can get their hands on, we win.

The fact that we are getting more PC Developer's now bringing over their budget steam games to consoles, shows that we win. More consoles sold means more games that will be bought, means more developers will stay in business.
Yes companies benefit, but all in all it is a business, so that's a given.

I mean look at the Big titles releasing in the first year, The Witcher 3, Titanfall, Destiny, Dying Light, Infamous, Halo, bunch of awesome indie titles.
The Renaissance that we had for PS2 is happening again, it's just that both companies are at a more even playing field, maybe with Sony having the lead or edge over it's competition.

Exciting times if you ask me.

0000127%20the%20clap.gif

PS4 camera is flying off the shelves though. I wouldn't start writing the epitaph for kinect just yet.

I'm admittedly a fanman/Microsoft hater (I think I'm pretty rational about it), but am I the only one who thinks that Playroom is a more compelling selling point than anything Microsoft has going with Kinect?

Voice commands clearly don't distinguish Kinect (evidently not well done with Kinect and arguably are better/more easily done with a mic closer to the user). I don't know what real edge XBONE has there, auto-login maybe?

Road

This is just my guess. Probably Philippines?

I didn't have it yet, thanks.

But the PR says "The PS4 system is now available in 53 countries and territories globally." I'm not sure they're including Philippines yet.

Thanks, BKK.

But now there are 54 countries until Jan. 7... haha

Maybe one of them was delayed (or they didn't include India yet?).

AFRICA
2013-12-13 SOUTH AFRICA

ASIA
2013-12-17 HONG KONG
2013-12-17 SOUTH KOREA
2013-12-18 TAIWAN
2013-12-19 SINGAPORE
2013-12-20 MALAYSIA
2014-01-06 INDIA
2014-01-09 INDONESIA*
2014-01-14 PHILIPPINES*
2014-01-14 THAILAND*
2014-02-22 JAPAN

AMERICAS
2013-11-15 CANADA
2013-11-15 UNITED STATES
2013-11-29 MEXICO
2013-11-29 ARGENTINA
2013-11-29 BRAZIL
2013-11-29 CHILE
2013-11-29 COLOMBIA
2013-11-29 PERU
2013-11-29 COSTA RICA
2013-11-29 EL SALVADOR
2013-11-29 GUATEMALA
2013-11-29 PANAMA
2013-12-13 NICARAGUA
2013-12-13 BOLIVIA
2013-12-13 PARAGUAY
2013-12-13 URUGUAY

EUROPE
2013-11-29 AUSTRIA
2013-11-29 BELGIUM
2013-11-29 DENMARK
2013-11-29 FINLAND
2013-11-29 FRANCE
2013-11-29 GERMANY
2013-11-29 IRELAND
2013-11-29 ITALY
2013-11-29 LUXEMBOURG
2013-11-29 NETHERLANDS
2013-11-29 NORWAY
2013-11-29 POLAND
2013-11-29 PORTUGAL
2013-11-29 RUSSIA
2013-11-29 SPAIN
2013-11-29 SWEDEN
2013-11-29 SWITZERLAND
2013-11-29 UNITED KINGDOM
2013-12-13 CZECH REPUBLIC
2013-12-13 GREECE
2013-12-13 HUNGARY
2013-12-13 SLOVAKIA
2013-12-13 TURKEY

MIDDLE-EAST
2013-12-13 BAHRAIN
2013-12-13 KUWAIT
2013-12-13 OMAN
2013-12-13 QATAR
2013-12-13 SAUDI ARABIA
2013-12-13 UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

OCEANIA
2013-11-29 AUSTRALIA
2013-11-29 NEW ZEALAND

DBT85

It is, but it's the first 6 weeks where everything should do well. Clearly there is a demand problem for the Xbone as plenty of us have seen stock on shelves after less than 6 weeks.

It'll be the next 6 months that show us what people really think about both consoles.

Into

Not to mention Xbox One launched in far fewer territories than PS4.

PS4 will sell more in Japan, than Xbox One will sell in tier 2 Euro countries + Japan combined.

More countries means little when its Japan that does not care about Xbox and smaller European countries like Denmark, Holland etc.

Into

Not sure why people keep saying this.

The Xbox brand outside US or UK does not do all that much.

Its just another "fastest selling" and "stuffing the channels" sort of excuse. If the Xbox One was yet to launch in NA, then i could understand using that excuse, but in this case it absolutely holds no water.

evolution

Seems like ms will be playing catchup in most countries. PS4 supply will probably be ample by the time MS launches everywhere else. They clearly weren't ready

Loudninja

Spain:
PS4:134,000
Xbox One:28k

France:
PS4:100k *first 2 weeks
Xbox One 50k* first 3 weeks*

AU:
Xbox One:65,917

Thats in places they launch I would not expect any better in late launches at a higher price.

rokkerkory

I think both consoles will need a lot to prove during the 'dry season' between Feb - Aug where generally sales are lower. Although I think they each have some good exclusives in this time frame coming out to help.

Cyborg

If Sony could have made 6 millions they would have sold it. Im from the Netherlands, I have 4 frienads all waiting since the launch for their PS4. There are none, evrything sold out till feb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom