• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

Fantastic numbers. Sony really did everything right for this launch. With the adoption rates being so high for XB1/PS4, I can't wait to see when everyone starts digging in deep with development for the two. Thankfully, that shouldn't be too far away.

Nintendo man... All you had to do was literally improve on what you had versus chasing the "next new thing" and artificially hampering what could be done with it because of concessions to get said new hype and keep a "small profile system". You'd have been sitting pretty this generation. It's all anyone wanted. Better luck next time.

Considering Sony launched in 19-20 more Country's then MS this is expected, it's also not a fair comparison.

Do you think MS would have been able to sell 4.2 million as well if they launched in the same number of countries? Considering they reduced the number of countries to supply those 13.

Do you think Sony wouldn't have sold 4.2 million in 13 countries? Considering it's still difficult to get a PS4 in these countries alone and the demand from pre-orders.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Damn that's a lot of consoles. But we still haven't factored in the sales that will add on once it drops in the motherland aka Japan, which is already probably sold out there....holy fuck Sony is literally putting foot to ass beginning this gen. Poor Microsoft and Nintendo lol

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hot damn. Hope it only picks up pace from here.

This is what every Target, Gamestop and Best Buy in my city looks like.

C80EA214-1FAD-4194-BCEA-9243C72EB153_zpsf6hfcumz.jpg

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/Bigtnaples/Halo%20Reach/C80EA214-1FAD-4194-BCEA-9243C72EB153_zpsf6hfcumz.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I would be curious to know how many XBOs have been shipped.

Oakey

Banned
when are we allowed to compare them, when MS has a lead?

Never, the goalposts will forever be moved.

If Titanfall doesn't shift units it'll be

"wait for halo 5, you'll see"

And then if halo 5 doesn't help it'll be

"just wait till Xmas 2014, just you see!"

And then it'll be something else, and something else ad nauseum

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Going to echo in that this is very impressive indeed. Add in the supply constraints, and the fact that it's not even out in Japan and in other Asian regions, and well, you get the idea. :)

So, 5 mil units by end of February, then?

History repeats itself, only the actors change roles.

Sounds like it's time for an Xbone chalkboard.

Same here, even in Salem NH there are still XOnes in stock (for those not familiar with the area, it's where everyone form Northern Mass shops because we have no sales tax). It also seems that people are willing to wait for the PS4 which bodes well for Sony.

N.Domixis

Banned
when are we allowed to compare them, when MS has a lead?
Lol remember how it didn't matter that ps3 released last and 360 was still in first. Now the week an the number of countries the boned is available in matters!

Bu bu bu it matters now!!! Teh ONE Can't be compared Yetz!

ypo

The gap will only widen from here on out as supply situation gets resolved and Asian territories come into play.

Into

They are launching 22 February in Japan, so by end of February the sales will get a even bigger boost.

Something like 7 million at that point could be on the cards, which is insane, but again the sales have been insane throughout.

The January numbers for all consoles will give us a very good basis for where they stand in regards to demand.

NA might see some issues with supply with many stores selling out, but in Europe its dryland, you pretty much have wait until February for new shipments, its Wii like in Europe, at least that is the vibe i am getting from it.

Zaph

Really curious what the number would have been if Sony even came close to satisfying demand over Christmas.

Here in London, even if you want a PS4 now, your options are resellers with a £100+ premium or massive, 6-item bundlefucks.

They are launching 22 February in Japan, so by end of February the sales will get a even bigger boost.

Something like 7 million at that point could be on the cards, which is insane, but again the sales have been insane throughout.

The January numbers for all consoles will give us a very good basis for where they stand in regards to demand.

I think it was said that their production right now is about 1 million units a month, give or take. at this point sony is selling every single unit there is no matter where they send them, so yeah, 7 million is plausible by beginning of march.

jayu26

NA might see some issues with supply with many stores selling out, but in Europe its dryland, you pretty much have wait until February for new shipments, its Wii like in Europe, at least that is the vibe i am getting from it.

January should see some cool down, even with ridiculous demand that is powering PS4. Why? Because it is January, post holidays sales drought and all that...so 7 million might be stretching a bit. But I think 6 is do-able by February end.

So for a while now, many people have been saying videogaming was on the decline. That cellphones, tablets, Facebook games, and F2P games have killed off the core console gaming.

Well, with >7.2 Million xbones & PS4s sold in less than 2 months, I think the critics have been proven wrong. Gaming was just stagnating a bit due to an extended console cycle and things looked kinda dire with the WiiU flop.

Gaming is back, baby.

OK, who is going to make the chalkboard graphic?

Ce-Lin

Same situation in Spain, lots of people still waiting for new PS4 shipments to arrive, on the other hand people who opted for the Xbox One already bought them and now shops are full of slowly moving leftovers and not re-stocking units until the launch shipment is gone (good luck with that in Spain),

I got a feeling had Sony shipped in December 2 or 3 more million consoles to these PS4 strongholds such as the UK, France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Denmark... (and to almost the same extent, the US market too) they would have sold through every single unit and the sales figures would have been even more shocking.

This is freaking awesome, second golden age of gaming here we come!!! With so many consoles on the markets people will be more able to make and take risks and more willing to create new franchises. I have an Xbox One, but I'm gona get a PS4 probably over the summer after I upgrade my PC rig. People vastly over estimated the death of the PC and Console. This is freakin fantastic. Congrats to Sony. This is why it's great to be a gamer!

This was Boxing Day (think Canadian Black Friday, even though we have Black Friday sales here now, too) afternoon at a Best Buy I was at:

sl3M0BX.jpg

S16iQJl.jpg

No PS4's in sight.

Oakey

Banned
Jayu26: I don't know, I bet there are a lot of people sitting on Xmas money waiting to get hold of one, I know my son is (hehe, I gots mine), and my girlfriends brother just ordered his the other day waiting for new stock to come in.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member

"Secret Xbone game"

"2015: Year of the Xbone"
"2016: Year of the Xbone"
"2017: Year of the Xbone"

A couple of things

Firstly platform holders do not make any serious money off of selling consoles. The entire point of the hardware is to get it into homes and get people buying games and online subscriptions so they can get royalties for being platform holders.

Secondly the first 3 years or so of a new generation are the most important time usually to build an install base as there is serious potential for a snowball effect like the PS2 era where you got the console all your friends got and it got serious amounts of 3rd party exclusives just due to its massive install base. I however believe there will be little in the way of "natural" 3rd Party exclusives due to the architecture being so close and the likelihood the XB1 will still have a healthy install base (50+ million)

Thirdly both companies in question need their video game division to do well at the risk of serious future consequences. Sony can absolutely not have a repeat of last gen. They need to make money, they need to be profitable lest they get shut down/spun off etc. Hell lest Sony goes bankrupt lol. While MS as a company is doing very well, the xbox division has never been a real money maker compared to other divisions (Office, Windows etc.) and thus there has been a real push by shareholders to evaluate the potential of the Xbox division going forward with recommendations to spin it off. Having 30% less boxes out there then your closest competitor means 30% less opportunity to upsell subscriptions and so on. Obviously though MS may make more money per user and/or decide that's the route they want to take, however a larger install base is always objectively better from the platform holders perspective as well as from their shareholders perspective.

Finally the general consensus has always been that both consoles would sell out for the first 2 or 3 months and thus it didn't matter in the least bit what countries a console did or didn't launch in because they would both be supply-constrained. However the availability of the XB1 in the US would lead to the notion that the XB1 is starting to become readily available in the US. Thus the PS4 is supply-constrained having sold 40% more than the XB1 while the XB1 is not supply-constrained. Again this is not an enviable position to be in as a platform holder.

It is like you are my mind...

Into

4.2M to play what? Knack and KZ?

No, to play some of the biggest franchises in gaming: FIFA, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, NBA 2k and many more. At 399 they get to play next gen versions of these, typically at higher resolution than any other console and graphical fidelity.

PlayStation brand was never sold on 1 or 2 killer apps, it was always sold on broad appeal and "something for everyone" type mentality.

DemonNite

This is just the beginning but a great start. Lots of happy people in the office today.

With megatons still to arrive, it can only get better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom