• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey Jr.

4.2 seems like a lot.

I guess compared to the Xbox which has 3 million, it is a lot.

How does it compare to every other console though?

Jigolo

This is just the beginning but a great start. Lots of happy people in the office today.

With megatons still to arrive, it can only get better :)
This is what's crazy. Sony hasn't launched any of its big time titles nor has it launched in Japan and has sold this much.

Great job... But what's up with the game releases? Drive club would be great right now...gotta keep a steady flow of content and January looks kinda bare, which I guess is ok considering preorders are still strong...new hype needs to come soon though...

This is just the beginning but a great start. Lots of happy people in the office today.

With megatons still to arrive, it can only get better :)
There's millions of gamers out there satisfied by 3rd party games, when is sony gonna give forum lurkers like us some more in house studio hype?!! Not last guardian hype mind u...but come on what's media molecule doing already?!! Tell em to stop teasing!!!!

Acorn

Great job... But what's up with the game releases? Drive club would be great right now...gotta keep a steady flow of content and January looks kinda bare, which I guess is ok considering preorders are still strong...new hype needs to come soon though...
January is usually barren, obviously it's even more barren with new platforms and a lack of back catalogue.

I think Thief is in Feb and there are a few releases in March.

quickwhips

Never, the goalposts will forever be moved.

If Titanfall doesn't shift units it'll be

"wait for halo 5, you'll see"

And then if halo 5 doesn't help it'll be

"just wait till Xmas 2014, just you see!"

And then it'll be something else, and something else ad nauseum

I see your playstation fan because you stuck to what you guys use to say. These are silly things to say. Both consoles are selling great. PS4 is selling better. Do we need to do the same thing that happened last gen again?

kv0VAO2_zps259b2cad.png

Ain't it the truth!

SONY executed this past year flawlessly.

who knew if you made gamers happy they'd buy your console

I bought the PS4 1 week after launch and already own 4 games, gonna be a fun generation

kartu

Banned
Well, I'd expect something that is more powerfull, yet cheaper and less restrictive (cant believe MS still pulled off that "youtube is behind paywall" shit) to sell better.

Considering that PS4 is sold out, while Xbone is not, the 1.4 : 1 gap will apparently increase.

Jomjom

Banned
I see your playstation fan because you stuck to what you guys use to say. These are silly things to say. Both consoles are selling great. PS4 is selling better. Do we need to do the same thing that happened last gen again?

Is this a trick question? What happened last gen made the ps3 awesome. So yes we would be lucky to have that happen again.

IGC, free online, awesome 1st party development came about because the ps3 was getting killed.

If Xbox fans want to see better free games than nearly decade old games and xbla games that nobody wants for free with their xbg sub, Netflix not behind a paywall, and 1st party support throughout the life of the console,they should be hoping for it to happen again.

RexNovis

Banned
Well played Sony. Truly impressive numbers. But we all know if you brought back Kevin Butler this "console war" would be over.

magkevinbutl.jpg

#BringBackButler

DieH@rd

Banned
600k/week basically.
Not bad Sony. And it's still sold out.
Return of the king.

That was with few months of pre-production before launch. This speed of retail shipments in the west cannot continue, especially now that Sony needs to secure ~1 mil consoles for Japanese launch and post-launch period.

BWJinxing

All that matters is, Xbone was the fastest next gen console to post it had reached 3 million sold statement last year.

:D Joking

I walked in to the local target, there were 5 Xbones sitting on the shelf, the PS4 was nowhere to be found.

Zok310

Banned
That was with few months of pre-production before launch. This speed of retail shipments in the west cannot continue, especially now that Sony needs to secure ~1mil consoles for Japanese launch and post-launch period.

Trust me, I am very aware of that. There is no way that that will continue going forward. But from launch to dec 28th the console was averaging 600k a week.

This is pretty good. Glad to see PlayStation Now finally announced (took 'em long enough to get Gaikai stuff in motion) too.

The availability situation around here (San Jose / Silicon Valley area of California) is similar to those photos. Pretty much every place has some XBO stock and no PS4s, but due to the supply constrain a few of my friends have caved in and bought themselves and Xbox because they want to do some next-gen Assassin's Creed or whatnot and don't want to fiddle with a gaming PC.

Let's see if they can get another factory or two (or four?!) up and running at some point where they need it, like perhaps Brazil :p

4.2 seems like a lot.

I guess compared to the Xbox which has 3 million, it is a lot.

How does it compare to every other console though?
An amazing feat compared to previous consoles. Sony's managed to get a shit ton of systems into people's homes in record time. Hell, Microsoft has done an excellent job as well. We now have over 7 million Xbox Ones and PS4s in consumer hands. They're kicking off the new generation very quickly and I'm ecstatic. Developers have more incentive to move on to the newer consoles from last generation. This is great all around.

Launch-Sales-Infographic.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom