• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylver

Banned
The hell, and no more units here until January 13th (since mid december)...
Worldwide numbers by summer time will be insane. :D

rokkerkory

4.2 million and still supply constrained. It's an incredible start to an upcoming long journey.

Yeah it's very encouraging...

I love competition, I hope this will force better/more games and lower price point from MS.

I can't afford both at their current price points. lol

They will just have to wait until Titanfall 2 or Titanfall: PS4 Edition.

I wonder what is going on at EA right now. Titanfall was always going to sell more on PC/360 but to lose out on a market that has 4.2 million consoles in people's hands begging for new games is rough.

I really hope this means the third parties won't be so keen on accepting more moneyhats/timed exclusive deals from MS. I don't care what MS does but I do care when it delays or denies games and content by proxy.

Lol I was wondering why people were hoping for 5 million by March. I always thought that was a low projection. The way it's going is more realistic with these number with all things considering. Even Xbox one is outselling and that's more expensive. Hopefully by April it hits 10 million but what I care the most is for Japan to sell very well. To me that's the most important market so devs can make awesome games once again.

DBT85

I really hope this means the third parties won't be so keen on accepting more moneyhats/timed exclusive deals from MS. I don't care what MS does but I do care when it delays or denies games and content by proxy.

Of course they will still take them. It'll just cost MS more money as the gap grows.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if they're really manufacturing 2 million per month, they're sure to meet demand pretty damned quickly now that the holidays are over, unless Japan ends up eating all the supply.

At the rate they're making them, it's going to be extremely impressive if they remain sold out through all of January.

FireVoa

They deserve it for sure! The focus on the gamers first more than any other Playstation generation makes me appreciate them more than ever.

That's what kills me. the PS4 isn't even all that revolutionary. It's got a great online infrastructure and PS+ is very well implemented, but in just about every way that matters it's the PS2 with better graphics.

If nintendo had paid more attention to the market and followed up the Wii with a GCN version 2.0 that was actually on par with what the PS4 and Xbone were putting out, they would be fine right now.

It is not just about GPU or CPU power. It is about consumer friendly device, it is about next gen easy and modern gaming experience.

- Unified user account Steam-ish
- Fast UI
- Simultaneous/invisible install/updates
- All AAA multiplats games available (and for that you need GPU & CPU & controllers at least on-par to the competition)
- Many others services like game sharing (pics, movies, twitch)

Just when I think I want to play a great Wii game I sadly think about the hard and slow process just to start playing the game, and it's worse if it's a Nintendo game (like Skyword Sword). Booting up a PS3 to play a game (or better when you insert a Bluray disc on an already running PS3) is so easy and painless.

Wii gamers have been burnt by the whole Wii experience (lack of multiplats games, UI not user friendly, lack of unified account which always deterred me from buying digital games etc.) and are not encouraged to repeat the same on Wii U.

One single GOTY game on Wii U is not enough.

ZoddGutts

Crazy they were able to sell that much despite being supply constraint. PS4 is going to pull further once it improves it's supply.

Slightly OT

Anyone having issues connection to the PS4 PSN store?

"network error please check your connection" is what im getting. Had no problems earlier this afternoon.

jaypah

Yeah it's very encouraging...

I love competition, I hope this will force better/more games and lower price point from MS.

I can't afford both at their current price points. lol

Yeah man, this. I would like to see a hungry MS fight for their share. Or just generally act like they give a shit that their main competitor has it's foot on their neck. I hope they really did set aside all that money for game development because 3rd parties ain't gonna cut it for them this time around and we all know Sony has a first party onslaught up their sleeve. I could buy a 180 right now or I can just continue spending that money on PS4 games. MS needs to show and prove, hope they pull it off.

Nintendo is oblivious but as long as they keep making fun stuff I'll keep buying.

The XB1 number was already impressive. This number is simply amazing.
The system has likely outsold the Wii U at retail after just two months on the market.

Hopefully this will provide impetus for publishers to more rapidly shift development to these new systems.

IJuMu2N.png

I'll never forget his meltdown when E3 happened and Sony "won" the show just by not doing the ridiculous stuff Microsoft was doing. Some really amazing stuff.

KorrZ

Very happy to see that both next-gen(current?) consoles have done extremely well. The next few months after the holidays will paint a much clearer picture for sales..but for now congrats to both MS & Sony.

poor Nintendo :(

Stampy

Juliet's 8½ Spirits;96260056 said:
I could hear the crack in your voice from here
It's ok, just let it all out

You know that he most likely doesn't take this stuff as emotionaly as majority of people here... It's not like the company he is working for is doing that bad with new console. He is getting payed, and it's not the end of the world for him if PS4 sells more.

Salex_

Yeah man, this. I would like to see a hungry MS fight for their share. Or just generally act like they give a shit that their main competitor has it's foot on their neck. I hope they really did set aside all that money for game development because 3rd parties ain't gonna cut it for them this time around and we all know Sony has a first party onslaught up their sleeve. I could buy a 180 right now or I can just continue spending that money on PS4 games. MS needs to show and prove, hope they pull it off.

Nintendo is oblivious but as long as they keep making fun stuff I'll keep buying.

That's real competition! It annoys when I see people praying for parity in sales. Your examples are what I want to see from Microsoft.

TheHater

Considering Sony launched in 19-20 more Country's then MS this is expected, it's also not a fair comparison.

don't get this. If Sony didn't launched in those other 20 Countries, they would have re-direct those consoles to the United States, United Kingdom, etc.

It is not just about GPU or CPU power. It is about consumer friendly device, it is about next gen easy and modern gaming experience.

no argument there.

- Unified user account Steam-ish
- Fast UI
- Simultaneous/invisible install/updates
- All AAA multiplats games available (and for that you need GPU & CPU & controllers at least on-par to the competition)
- Many others services like game sharing (pics, movies, twitch)

Sort of on board with you here. Things like "fast UI" and "invisible install" are either software dependent and can improve over time (there's nothing that really says the wiiU *couldn't* have these..it just doesnt) or limited by the CPU and hardware, in which case we're back to "nintendo should have built a better machine."

AAA multiplatforms being available comes entirely down to hardware. As it is, offering an equivalent experience to the PS360 for multiplatforms when there are already 160+ million of these units out there is pointless. Third parties know this and there won't be any going forward. if the WiiU had been only marginally less powerful than a PS4 or on par (and this really isn't that hard, steam machines are doing it now) They would have been in a much better position.

Other things like game sharing, twitch, and various online services are great to have, but not THAT critical to the mass market. The 360 was far and away the most popular next gen console in the US, but less than half of the userbase ever connected their systems on line, and even less than THAT paid for gold subscriptions to enable multiplayer, netflix, etc. Nintendo needs a better online infrastructure, but this could have been built over time (as sony did with the PS3) and is not absolutely critical to have on par with PSN or Live at launch.

Blanquito

First it was "Sony made a mistake in launching in more countries because it's clear that MS has much more boxes in stock in USA. MS was smart in keeping launch countries low because they can meet demand better."

Now it's "Sony launched in more countries so it's not really fair to compare the two. MS hasn't launched in many countries yet so they could sell more when they eventually do."

Congrats to both MS and Sony for the great numbers though.

jaypah

That's real competition! It annoys when I see people praying for parity in sales. Your examples are what I want to see from Microsoft.

Yup, screw that. You want good sales? Go to work. I want a fight, not some "we're fine with our slice of the pie" peace-meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom