• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liha

Banned
DSC_0770.jpg

haha

lefantome

With 7 million plus next gen consoles on the market lets hope 2014 is the end of cross gen games.

I guess that by E3 there will be around 14-15 millions Next Gen consoles out there (excluding the wii u) enough to substain several games and killing cross gen development

at the end of this year we could have reached 35+ millions imho

crinale

So combined with bone we have seven million next-gen console sold for like 2 months.
So much for console gaming is dead, lol :D

kahi

Really is an amazing number, well done Sony. God Damn that's toppled WiiU?

Think Nintendo only reveals # shipped to retailers, not bought by consumer. 4.2 million were shipped to retailers as of December 1st according to Wii U wikipedia. Either way these Xbox and Playstation numbers are probably making Reggie sad.

Bgamer90

Banned
So, between PS4 and Xbox One (and their ~8m combined unit sales in 2 months), next gen is officially saved. Can we finally place the blame for Wii U's failure squarely on Nintendo where it belongs, instead of the nebulous 'softer market demand for game consoles'? Obviously there are still gamers out there and they still want new consoles - just not Nintendo's.

If the great sales of XB1 and PS4 isn't enough for people who thought that to change their views then they are in complete denial.

Well, there's certainly going to be 10 million consoles out there by April as EA stated, but it's not going to be a 50:50 distribution.

The interesting thing is that the numbers will still rapidly grow as fast as Sony is pushing them out considering they are still not available in store shelves.

Nope. This is still only 2.6%, roughly, of the previous gen's install base.

You're still better off releasing cross-gen for quite some time.

True, but the strong sales would lead to more greenlighting of next gen products targeted after 2014. I'd say any cross platform games are already well into development at this point.

Into

This is why wishful thinking should not be included when you try to predict numbers, your very prediction becomes infested with your own desires rather than realistically looking at the situation.

And yes i am talking about the Wii U and "the other two will fail as well, you will see!!".

Ive been saying this for months, so lets say it again: There are always failed consoles in each generation, there are actually more failed consoles than successful ones. Not at any point in 30 years has this meant that the whole console industry imploded onto itself, it just meant that the one product id not resonate with consumers as much, for whatever reason, it happens, it happens alot, and it happens in every industry known to man.

But there is always something else to replace it. Always has been.

Camilos

Banned
That's a great number. Congrats to Sony for such high numbers. MS had respectable numbers also. I wished Wii U was doing better though, healthy competition is always best.

Not that I would buy any of these systems since I'm now a citizen of the PC master race. But still wish them all the best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom