• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Banned
Just walked into my local Gamestop and walked out with a PS4. They always have them. They show as out of stock online but they always have them available.

tumblr_leftkrHJkw1qf8yek.gif

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Yeah, well I don't see Splorgenborgs on store shelves either. Proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's the premiere gaming console (not) available for purchase today.

floorholo.gif

ALL HAIL SPLORGENBORG

#teamsplorgenborg
#drakesaysyoudonthavetodothis

Majmun

After the XB1 numbers in February I wouldn't use Amazon charts for any type of gauge on how things are selling to be honest

Titanfall was the #1 for best selling item for quite some time on the Amazon chart, and it was the best selling software last week.

We don't know anything about HW numbers

Jigolo

After the XB1 numbers in February I wouldn't use Amazon charts for any type of gauge on how things are selling to be honest

But PS4 was OOS almost all of February. I think it is a good guage if both consoles are in stock like they are currently.

Titanfall was the #1 for best selling item for quite some time on the Amazon chart, and it was the best selling software last week.

We don't know anything about HW numbers

Amazon charts may be useful in looking at how software is selling but I seriously doubt that for titanfall when so many sales are going to be in the bundle anyway

I still got outsold,so that still did not change.

That's the problem though the postiioning between the XB1 and the PS4 didn't change much on Amazon between Jan and Feb. even though XB1 was so very close to PS4 in overall numbers sold for Feb.

January bestsellers

PS4: 3 XB1: 16

February bestsellers

PS4: 3 XB1 [standalone]: 16 XB1 [TF Bundle]: 71

And yet overall XB1 increased its sales 84% from January to February and almost beat out PS4

Nothing on Amazon's best sellers really indicated that

But PS4 was OOS almost all of February. I think it is a good guage if both consoles are in stock like they are currently.

Amazon will only become a good indicator of console sales if the same proportion of each console is sold through Amazon. Clearly that doesn't seem to be the case as quite a lot of PS4 sales seem to be through Amazon relative to XB1 as the lack of positioning change would indicate

antibolo

Banned
Meanwhile in Canada we haven't had any new stock since February, and to add some insult to injury they raised the price as well, because fuck us apparently.

Amazon charts may be useful in looking at how software is selling but I seriously doubt that for titanfall when so many sales are going to be in the bundle anyway

That's the problem though the postiioning between the XB1 and the PS4 didn't change much on Amazon between Jan and Feb. even though XB1 was so very close to PS4 in overall numbers sold for Feb.

January bestsellers

PS4: 3 XB1: 16

February bestsellers

PS4: 3 XB1 [standalone]: 16 XB1 [TF Bundle]: 71

And yet overall XB1 increased its sales 84% from January to February and almost beat out PS4

Nothing on Amazon's best sellers really indicated that

I wonder if that second Titanfall bundle in February is a partial indicator of the closer numbers. I know it's only at 71, but still. I do agree though that Amazon isn't a great indicator. It would probably be able to tell us if Xbox One suddenly started pulling way ahead of PS4 for the month, but that might be about it.

ZehDon

Yeah, well I don't see Splorgenborgs on store shelves either. Proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that it's the premiere gaming console (not) available for purchase today...
I don't know what you're talking 'bout. Just walked into my local Gamestop and walked out with a Splorgenborg. They always have them. They show as out of stock online but they always have them available.

TomShoe

Banned
I don't know what you're talking 'bout. Just walked into my local Gamestop and walked out with a Splorgenborg. They always have them. They show as out of stock online but they always have them available.

Oh really? I heard my Best Buy in Saskatoon gets them in stock occasionally, but I'm not getting one because of the insane markups on the MSRP. Curse you, Canadian dollar. Why must you be so weak? It's the only thing holding me back from getting a new Splorgenborg.

Splorgenborg is love. Splorgenborg is life. Join the Revolution.

ascii42

Oh really? I heard my Best Buy in Saskatoon gets them in stock occasionally, but I'm not getting one because of the insane markups on the MSRP. Curse you, Canadian dollar. Why must you be so weak? It's the only thing holding me back from getting a new Splorgenborg.

Splorgenborg is love. Splorgenborg is life. Join the Revolution.

Splorgenborg?

Perhaps the tagline should be Resistance is futile

Piggus

Meanwhile in Canada we haven't had any new stock since February, and to add some insult to injury they raised the price as well, because fuck us apparently.

Yes, that's exactly what their reasoning was: fuck Canada. Doesn't have anything to do with the CDN being in the shitter right now. Nope!

TS-08

So PS4 is still available but "only" no.3 now on amazon. It obviously is selling well, but not as crazy as 1-2 months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=pd_dp_ts_vg_1

I think april will be the first month where it's finally pretty "easy" to find in stores and the NPD sales will be interesting then.

I think there is quite a bit of stock out there this week. Amazon hasn't run out for days now, and I noticed yesterday that all the Best Buys and Gamestops in my area got in stock. That may hurt the Amazon rankings a little, since more and more people can find them in stores now.

Demand is slowing dor the PS4 in the UK, but we are still far from the stage where the solo console is readily available everywhere.

I think it wont be until june before you can go into pretty much anywhere and pick up a PS4.

That said, really with so many other countries chomping at the bit for more stock, sony can slowly ease up on the US and UK soon. Just the odd 100,000 here and there need to be pushed elsewhere.

CCIE

Banned
Infamous:SS is going to sell the PS4 to some graphic whores. I honestly don't think MS will win March in the US, and certainly not many more months going forward. The PS4 is a beast that is going to do some amazing things judging by what GG and SP have already accomplished.

The Order looks incredible as well. Now, the question becomes when will the PS4 actually be readily available? I can find the XB1 essentially anywhere, but the PS4 still is scarce. I rarely see one when out and about.

Lady Gaia

Or maybe, just maybe, it's because the Canadian dollar has gone from rough parity to being worth 90 cents on the US dollar. $450CDN is worth about $405USD.

I can't make threads so...was this posted already? Frostbite director talking about Mantle. And an interesting quote from a ICE team developer.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03...n-ps4-talks-about-the-ps3s-spu-and-ps4s-aces/

I think Sony should of kept the cell. Developers were starting to get use to it, no?
Dunno if anything on that topic's been made, but about the Cell...

See, it was a pariah. The benefits took too long to harness and in fact the only reason we really saw them was because last gen went on for four more years. It costed Sony, Toshiba and IBM billions, and never got anywhere near its saturation point (they originally wanted it to be used in smart TVs, phones, and a shitload of other devices). 3rd parties FTMP couldn't get used to it which led to inferior multiplats that sometimes got as extreme as Bayonetta and Skyrim levels of disparity, and practically all of its advances can be had in much better multi-core setups today.

And to top all that off IBM and Toshiba bailed on it years ago.

That said it was a technical marvel, but ill-suited for the gaming and entertainment computing industries. Had they just pushed it as a server-side solution or for data analysis/research purposes, it'd probably be better off and still supported today.

I'd say being over-ambitious w/ Cell in too many divergent computing fields is a big reason it died. You don't see ARM aiming for high-power performance and server systems, and you don't see x86 aiming for DVD and MP3 players (in addition to what they're already suited for).

Cell was trying to do ALL of that and much more. It was a little too much.

Just a PSA for people in the US if you have a PS4 but want a new one instead for any reason, used PS4's are trading into Gamestop for a total of $397.50 after a 50% bonus if traded in toward a new PS4 (or an Xbox One or Wii U). This lasts until the 23rd.

It looks like many Gamestops just received PS4s over the last couple days so now would be a good time to do it.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's because the Canadian dollar has gone from rough parity to being worth 90 cents on the US dollar. $450CDN is worth about $405USD.

Apparently it's only worth 90 cents on the US dollar regarding one console because the 3DS, Wii U, Vita, PS3, and especially XB1 which MS is losing even more on the exchange rate hasn't had a price increase.

Maybe, just maybe it has to do with Sony capitalizing on the huge demand the PS4 has in Canada?

Oddly enough PS4 has moved up the best selling list on best buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...c=All+Categories&nrp=15&fs=saas&iht=n&seeAll=

To be fair we don't know the time table nor the stock situation but when I try to buy a PS4 online it says in store only and instocknow has best buys last online stock at March 10 but may not have updated

Being in stock helps tremendously. I wonder if they'll have a big stock glut this coming weekend to help promote infamous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom