• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyPhree

Being in stock helps tremendously. I wonder if they'll have a big stock glut this coming weekend to help promote infamous.

I got my ps4 this past Sunday at a best buy in south florida. They got in about 25-30 on Saturday according to my friend who works there.

I was at the store right at opening. They sold about ten by the time I was out at 1115.

Just a PSA for people in the US if you have a PS4 but want a new one instead for any reason, used PS4's are trading into Gamestop for a total of $397.50 after a 50% bonus if traded in toward a new PS4 (or an Xbox One or Wii U). This lasts until the 23rd.

It looks like many Gamestops just received PS4s over the last couple days so now would be a good time to do it.

Does Gamestop charge sales tax when you use store credit to buy a new system?

beast786

Amazon usually favours PS4 ranking because its has been one of the few places to actually get it. Unlike XB1 which you can impulse buy at any store.

Once, both stock are available then Amazon will be a good way to measure.

Squalor

Amazon usually favours PS4 ranking because its has been one of the few places to actually get it. Unlike XB1 which you can impulse buy at any store.

Beast, who wound up winning your PlayStation Lobby contest for a free PlayStation 4?

Assuming there's only one SKU available at a time for XB1.

Does Gamestop charge sales tax when you use store credit to buy a new system?

It depends on the state you're in. Some do, some don't.

Here are the states that DO charge tax on credit: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia

If you do the trade, do not give them the headset with the system. Trade it in on the same transaction separately, or trade it in first. You should be able to get another $2.50 for it if they'll take it, making the exchange completely free.

Tratorn

I want the PS4 to have less than 999 units available on amazon.com again, just to see how many units/h it's selling now lol. Hopefully that'll happen at least one more time.

I want the PS4 to have less than 999 units available on amazon.com again, just to see how many units/h it's selling now lol. Hopefully that'll happen at least one more time.

NeoGAF_logo.png

Would be cool to figure out units per hour although those numbers might not be as high as before? I honestly have trouble gauging current PS4 demand

Amazon charts may be useful in looking at how software is selling but I seriously doubt that for titanfall when so many sales are going to be in the bundle anyway

That's the problem though the postiioning between the XB1 and the PS4 didn't change much on Amazon between Jan and Feb. even though XB1 was so very close to PS4 in overall numbers sold for Feb.

January bestsellers

PS4: 3 XB1: 16

February bestsellers

PS4: 3 XB1 [standalone]: 16 XB1 [TF Bundle]: 71

And yet overall XB1 increased its sales 84% from January to February and almost beat out PS4

Nothing on Amazon's best sellers really indicated that

Amazon will only become a good indicator of console sales if the same proportion of each console is sold through Amazon. Clearly that doesn't seem to be the case as quite a lot of PS4 sales seem to be through Amazon relative to XB1 as the lack of positioning change would indicate
This could just be that PS4 stock allocation to Amazon painted a more favourable situation compared to the rest of American retail, rather than indicating an upward trend for Xbox One

This could just be that PS4 stock allocation to Amazon painted a more favourable situation compared to the rest of American retail, rather than indicating an upward trend for Xbox One

Hmm that's what I meant though. That due to PS4's relative stock scarcity in brick and mortar stores it was overly heavily favoring PS4 in its sales charts even to the extent that it failed to show the improvement in XB1 sales that happened from Jan to Feb

Last estimate was around 4 million IIRC. Either way, both systems outsold the Wii U in 4 months.

Estimate WW is closer to 3.6 M. It's unclear I believe if the XB1 has outsold the Wii U WW at this point

3 million WW [as of Dec. 31st] + (143K Jan NPD)/(.6) + (258K Feb NPD)/(.6) = ~ 3.668M WW as of March 1st

.6 is the portion of sales NPD numbers usually account for with the Xbox One

The trend is because Microsoft has no issue supplying the X1 compared to PS4 which sells out right when the retailers get it. It is obvious the PS4 will still be hot until maybe the summer.

That assumes that Amazon gets more stock than the other stores which I doubt, it is just that Amazon has a single global inventory so you'll notice even if they have only 1 console left. The retail stores get PS4s and they quickly sellout with none the wiser.

It appears that Sony is making more PS4s than Microsoft is making XB1s. So the reason you can find more XB1s in stores in the first place is because they aren't selling as well. So it is not that Amazon is disproportionately selling more PS4s, it's that they are accurately reflecting what it's happening in retail stores, just that their inventory is easier to search.

Loudninja

Well Bestbuy is instock online.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/playstation-4-500gb-console/8240103.p?id=1218866963585&skuId=8240103&st=categoryid$pcmcat296300050017&cp=1&lp=4

Settin

Sony deserves to "win" at sales because they provide they best value for money of any of the three console options ATM. I just hope that there is enough competition to provide me (and all other gamers) with the best experience possible.

Bgamer90

Banned

That's the thing though... The same was true for various stores online last month which led many to believe that there would be a repeat of January.

One console is much harder to find in stores than the other and therefore the best selling lists on sites currently isn't the end all be all. That's not to say that the PS4 isn't/can't do better though. March NPD is going to be really interesting as you said.

I would like to know how Gamestop measures their best sellers list, why did Tomb Raider X1 jump up so high? It's selling better than Second Son.

I have to assume it's over a rather short time period judging from some of the jumps in the chart.

A bunch of new XB1 buyers looking for games maybe?

It is odd though

@Gestault Could you not have cut that image down a little bit? Don't need to see your taskbar for instance

The Llama

Not going to happen. I actually don't see this one being on PS+ for a long time given the glut of indies Sony has coming.

My guess is PS+ is pretty much only going to be indies, at least until DriveClub (if they even decide to still do the DriveClub PS+ edition thing). Not that I'm complaining, though, since the games they've had so far have been VERY high quality.

My guess is PS+ is pretty much only going to be indies, at least until DriveClub (if they even decide to still do the DriveClub PS+ edition thing). Not that I'm complaining, though, since the games they've had so far have been VERY high quality.

Lol the irony is that the first AAA game on plus for PS4 is almost certainly knack :D

I completely agree with you. I have not been disappointed in any of the choices so far. I could definitely see Knack making the leap in about a year though.

Lol the irony is that the first AAA game on plus for PS4 is almost certainly knack :D

Yup.

TS-08

Good to see more stock out here (US). Just picked up a PS4 for my bros bday monday, was worried I wouldn't be able to find one.

Yeah the Gamestops in my area all got shipments this week, and I was able to get a PS4 yesterday. That said, I just looked at their availability on the web site, and a few of the stores are already showing low stock, including the one where I bought the system.

As of right now for March, Amazon has sold more PS4's than they have copies of Titanfall for XB1, and more copies of Infamous than they have Titanfall XB1's. MGS is actually outselling Infamous though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-03/videogames
I guess people are okay with 2-hour demos after all.

Aside; really interesting PS4 #s, but I'm curious why online sales tend to favor PS4. B/c as last NPD showed they don't quite paint the full story and it's still possible (though improbable) XBO outsells PS4 in March.

TS-08

Aside; really interesting PS4 #s, but I'm curious why online sales tend to favor PS4. B/c as last NPD showed they don't quite paint the full story and it's still possible (though improbable) XBO outsells PS4 in March.

Well Amazon received shipments that were promptly sold out to people who couldn't find the system in stores near them, which caused its rank to soar. The XB1 was and is readily found in stores, so its online sales aren't thusly inflated, relative to overall sales. And obviously these are rankings, so they are relative. The difference between #1 and number #10 could, in theory, be 1,000 units one month, then 100,000 the following.

Kyoufu

It's easier to go to nowinstock.com to find a PS4 merchant than it is to go all over your town/city looking for stock (when there aren't many around).

I think it's pretty obvious why online sales favour PS4. It's harder to find at retail, so people order it online. According to most people here the XBOne is easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom