• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Software Preview – USB Music Player, New Home Screen Colors, More

Blablurn

* User can play music files stored inside USB storage but cannot copy music files to PS4 HDD. This application cannot be used at the same time with Music Unlimited. USB Music Player will appear once USB storage is inserted, and will disappear once USB storage is removed.

Oh. This makes me a sad panda. I wish the PS4 had more USB ports.

darkwing

* User can play music files stored inside USB storage but cannot copy music files to PS4 HDD. This application cannot be used at the same time with Music Unlimited. USB Music Player will appear once USB storage is inserted, and will disappear once USB storage is removed.

one step forward, two steps backward

yatesl

Add To Library: The monthly free PlayStation Plus games will have an ‘Add to Library’ button in the PlayStation Store. This button will add a game to a PS4 owner’s library without downloading it – saving space on their hard drive.

V90Auxu.gif

I got so excited at "new home screen" before my brain processed the "colors" part :\

I hope mp3 support opens the doors for custom soundtracks in games eventually. (As in not just playing mp3s in the background on the system level, actually taking files and integrating them fully into the game.)

JJD

Wow backup application???

I was going to upgrade my HDD this weekend to a 2TB one, but I guess I'll wait until the firmware update hits.

Hopefully game data will be backed as well and I won't have to redownload almost 500Gb again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Um, so does that mean theres no way to just... put media onto the PS4 still and play from there.

Did the OS team just forget how to do media after the Vita or something?

Background is probably something they can do separately from that, but it is bloody weird

Background music, revamped list on the home screen and filtering is a decent update, and share play was already sounding interesting

Ramza

Banned

It's nice that it disappears when not in use. Now if only they could make the god damn Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited icons disappear if I don't fucking subscribe to it.

No wonder this update is taking so long.

The Add to Library and Backup features are really nice. The latter will make upgrading HDDs much easier.

-griffy-

Banned
Content Area and Library: PS4’s Content Area, which shows the latest games and apps a PS4 owner has used, has been redesigned to help make it easier to quickly find and access content. It now shows 15 of a player’s most used apps or games, and additional items will be added to a player’s Library. The Library on PS4 has improved filter and sort functions to help organize contented by type (game / app / TV & video), name (a – z or z – a), recently used, or install date.
This right here is fairly big. No longer will there be an endless list of EVERY app/game installed on the system in the main bar, but instead only the 15 most recently used. And the library gets proper sorting.

Krakn3Dfx

Was hoping with MS jumping on the DLNA bandwagon, Sony would kick ass to get it on their system as well. But the wait continues...
2509561_o.gif

dracula_x

screenshots:

in additional

PS Vita and PS TV – 3.35 update, Live From PlayStation

The PS Vita and PS TV systems will also receive a system software update to version 3.35 with the same timing as Masamune, adding four-player Remote Play support to PS TV. In addition, the Live from PlayStation app, which allows users to watch live gameplay streams from PS4 systems, will be available on both PS Vita and PS TV alongside this update.

PlayStation App 2.0 update

The PlayStation App for smartphones and tablets, available free on the App Store and Google Play, is also set to receive an update to version 2.0 within the same launch window as both the PS4 and PS Vita system software updates. This update provides a new layout for tablets, and the app’s home screen has been redesigned.

No DLNA
No suspend/resume

BUT

MP3 playback via USB
LIBRARY ENHANCEMENTS OMFG
Data backup, good for the more paranoid/responsible among us

Still some big features missing but at least Sony's getting somewhere now.

Maybesew

USB Music Player: PS4 owners can play their own music in the background while playing a game using USB Music Player*. After inserting a USB stick loaded with music into the PS4, a new option for USB Music Player will appear. Supported filename extensions include MP3, MP4, M4A, and 3GP.

I couldn't think of a less relevant feature to add in 2014 on any product or platform.

R_Deckard

Some good and needed updates there, backup option is great as I have already updated to 1tb drive and may go to 2tb and saves a lot of time to just restore back from USB cradle.

ddikxela

Is "Back Up Data" same as storing games into you external HDD?

It sounds like the PS3 back up/ restore function.

Eg. Back up your current PS4 hard drive data to an external, upgrade the PS4 with a larger internal hard drive and then restore your previous data back to the new larger hard drive.

Change colors: In addition to the ability to add a theme, PS4 owners can also change the background of the home screen from light blue to one of seven new colors: gold, blue, red, green, purple, pink, and gray.

SEE YOU NEVER, FUCKING BLUE

BeeDog

Unbelievably disappointing update. Sony fucking blows when it comes to adding the features all their users want. Seriously, who gives a shit about better voice commands and "Players You May Know"?

Skux

USB music, I'll take it.

Cleaning up the home screen is welcome but I don't know why they don't just use folders, as has been suggested to them countless times.

Dragon

Banned
If they don't fix the downloads stuff, I really don't know what to tell you. All that stuff is nice for sure, but c'mon.

Top Bottom