• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Software Update 4.50 Features Detailed

Audioboxer

External HDD Support
Upto 8tb

GlPW5.gif

On Demand

Banned
Notification change is not good. It's better having separate tabs for each kind. Now every single notification is bunched under one list? Uhhhh, ok Sony.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Those asking whats the advantage of external HDD support..

Whats the biggest size that you can put in internally?
Adding external HDD support means you are adding space...in addition to....the internal HDD.
No need to do system transfers to add space.

You really are limited with space with no external HDD support. The cheapest internal I had in my PS4 was 2TB. Now I can go higher and dont have to worry about working overtime to pay for it. And no need to do a back up or delete games to add space like when installing an internal HDD. Plug n play...

Now we need bigger cloud storage and it will almost be perfect.

Caayn

What's the benefits of having an external hdd over internal.
  • External is generally cheaper.
  • External drives allow for more storage capacity per drive due to the lack of physical form factor limitations. Highest capacity drive you'll find is 12TB for example.
  • Increase of the total storage cap. 1 internal drive vs 1 internal + N external drives.
  • The ability to add storage instead of replacing it.

ethomaz

Banned
yeah I thought as much. Oh well. I put in a 2Tb unit thats not full yet so I`ll manage, hehe.
I wonder if the usb3 bandwith beats the internal SATA bandwith
USB 3.0 beats SATA2... it is close to SATA3 speeds.

Unless you have a SDD internally the a 7200RPM external HDD will run faster or on pair with internal HDD.

Elandyll

Banned
Well, I'll be honest, I never ever thought we'd see custom wallpapers and even moreso external HDDs on a playstation.

Wow.

mieumieu

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

This is awesome news!

Next question though... can I use a USB stick? I use one on Wii U and it works fine.

BigEmil

Well, the catch is that it sounds like it'll only let you use screenshots, since there's no way to currently transfer images to the PS4. It sounds that way from the blog post too.
I'd really rather have the ability to select multiple themes and have it cycle through them.
If it is then you can just simply take a screenshot of the image you want to use?

Krakn3Dfx

Is it bad that I don't want to congratulate them for this? It should have been a day one feature, not some shit that comes 3 years down the line.

Punished Playstation.

Looking forward to seeing what performance numbers are like on external hard drives.

xewind

After the 2TB hdd on my ps4 broke two months ago, I had to exchange it for a 1TB hdd in the meantime. So external hdd support is great news for me.

DieH@rd

Banned
This is a good update that will make many happy!

Boring update.
...but not everyone. :D

But wait, there's more (to come)...

"This is just a taste of the features included in system software 4.50, so make sure to keep an eye out for more information, including launch timing, in the upcoming weeks."

That's true for every big PS4 update. :)

More stuff will be unveiled in official changelog tomorrow, and even more undocumented changes be discovered over the next week.

Hopefully DF will jump to the action and test are there any load time changes between stock internal and various types of external USB 3.0 drives. Also, we need to know a bit more about content management. Will PSN/disc games prompt us where to place our install data, or is there a tool to move installs from one drive to another.

IbukiLordSA

Why custom wallpapers only for screenshot? What if I want to use my own image :(

Can probably use the browser, take the screenshot and then use that as a custom wallpaper. At least it's a step in the right direction.

13ruce

Banned
Gonna buy the seagate 5tb external hardrive around summer then:D never gonna have to delete games ever again on ps4 and even ps5<3

reKon

Banned
The external storage option is great, but I didn't know there were so many Gaffers that had to have 20+ games installed on their system at once (1 TB). This was never a big deal to me. It may be now that I'm going all digital, but because of my connection speed, I pretty much remove single player games or MP games that I haven't played for years.

Top Bottom