• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Software Update 4.50 Features Detailed

BigEmil

USB 3.0 beats SATA2... it is close to SATA3 speeds.

Unless you have a SDD internally the a 7200RPM external HDD will run faster or on pair with internal HDD.
But will the PS4, PS4 Pro read USB 3.0 external drive at its max speed though?

Even with internal SATA 3 in PS4 Pro Digital Foundry tested not much difference just abit faster, maybe a bottleneck due to the CPU or bandwidth something like that?

Curious to find out maybe through USB the speed cap is less strict somehow

Ricker

A quick way to know if an external drive is 3.0 is the blue inside right...?

I have one lik that I bought 2 years ago though...

thenexus6

YESSSS

2375663-5357184615-ipHqz.gif

KillGore

Not sure if a stupid question but can I buy 1 external hdd for both xbox one and ps4? Or will that simply just not work?

bombshell

Why custom wallpapers only for screenshot? What if I want to use my own image :(

Can probably use the browser, take the screenshot and then use that as a custom wallpaper. At least it's a step in the right direction.

Yep, loading the image on a page in a browser and taking a screenshot with the Share button works as a work-around for custom profile images as well, so it should work for this wallpaper update too.

Lucifon

• External is generally cheaper.
  • External drives allow for more storage capacity per drive due to the lack of physical form factor limitations. Highest capacity drive you'll find is 12TB for example.
  • Increase of the total storage cap. 1 internal drive vs 1 internal + N external drives.
  • The ability to add storage instead of replacing it.

Makes taking games to a friend's/family member's much easier too.

Jacob4815

Good for HDD externals... but no major system updates for PRO (downsampling and base PS4 mode) is utterly disappointing.

Planet

There are more features included in 4.50...

*prays to the shu-god* Supersampling as a system feature p-l-e-a-s-e!

thatJohann

But will the PS4, PS4 Pro read USB 3.0 external drive at its max speed though?

Even with internal SATA 3 on PS4 Pro Digital Foundry tested not much difference just abit maybe a bottleneck due to the CPU or bandwidth something like that?

Curious to find out maybe through USB the speed cap is less strict somehow

Curious about this too.

Noobcraft

Punished Playstation.

Looking forward to seeing what performance numbers are like on external hard drives.
If it's anything like the Xbox One it should dramatically decrease loading times in open world games (looking especially at FF15). When I switched FFXV over to my SSD on my Xbox it reduced the loading times from a few minutes to like 20 seconds.

madmackem

The external storage option is great, but I didn't know there were so many Gaffers that had to have 20+ games installed on their system at once (1 TB). This was never a big deal to me. It may be now that I'm going all digital, but because of my connection speed, I pretty much remove single player games or MP games that I haven't played for years.
It's the fact you don't need to worry anymore about space, I've got 100 gig left on my internal now don't need to worry.

Caayn

Not necessarily Sony can still lock the drive to the console that formatted it.

Drives are interchangeable on the XB1 whereas the drives on the WiiU are locked to the console. It depends on the implementation that Sony choose.

Jinroh

Would a 3.5" 7200 rpm drive make sense through USB 3.0 or would it be limited, in which case a 2.5" passport drive would be enough?

Noobcraft

Fuck yeah. I have a 120GB SSD just sitting here that I can finally put to good use, just need an enclosure.
Go to Amazon and get a SATA III to USB 3.0 cable. Don't bother with an enclosure.

It might work if you can partition it in half and use half for the XBO and half for the PS4.
This can't be done. The Xbox One formats the entire harddrive when you use it with the system. The PS4 may as well.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
External HDD is as huge of a feature as anything for the PS4 in quite some time.

I didn't think much of the feature when it was brought to Xbox One, but now that I have it I can safely say that it may be the best feature it has.

Now at long last I can get a cheap 500GB SSD and install it as my main drive and back up less played games to the HDD. Hopefully it will be that simple.

Fliesen

Not sure if a stupid question but can I buy 1 external hdd for both xbox one and ps4? Or will that simply just not work?

almost certainly not going to work. You can't even hot-swap internal drives between two separate PS4 consoles, so i'd guess the external drive would be formatted and encrypted in a similar way.

I mean, you could maybe partition the drive, but i don't think both, if even one, consoles will support mounting the proper partition / volume accordingly.

DieH@rd

Banned

Don't count on it.

You should really not count on that too. The data will probably be encrypted to be accessible from the hardware key [or other security stuff] of your own PS4.

Sony fuck, what to complain about now? Great update

Supersampling / PSVR on PC / Linux on PS4 / PSN name change / BC :D

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Wait I didn't even think of this. Games can be installed on them and then just moved around to another console?

Yes, it's an underrated feature of the Xbox One. Whenever I go and visit a friend I can just take the external drive hook it up to his Xbox One and play right away. The discs are still required, but the hassle of not having to wait for installation and/or patches is welcome.

BigEmil

Not necessarily Sony can still lock the drive to the console that formatted it.

Drives are interchangeable on the XB1 whereas the drives on the WiiU are locked to the console. It depends on the implementation that Sony choose.
What if both the PS4's is set as the Primary and that thing
Don't count on it.

You should really not count on that too. The data will probably be encrypted to be accessible from the hardware key [or other security stuff] of your own PS4.

Supersampling / PSVR on PC / Linux on PS4 / PSN name change / BC :D
There's alot of workarounds online to make PSVR work on PC and such there's a YouTube channel think it's called "Matownerie" which is dedicated for this related stuff

DieH@rd

Banned
What's the supersampling?

Really happy they're supporting external HDD.

System wide support for automatic playing of high resolution games [4K or near-4K games] on 1080p screens. When selected, games will automatically downsample on 1080p, making image sharper and clearer.

Would a 3.5" 7200 rpm drive make sense through USB 3.0 or would it be limited, in which case a 2.5" passport drive would be enough?
Sony gimps speeds, so probably all drives are perform close one to another [except faster seek times of SSD/hybrid drives].

We shall see... probably some custom file format with heavy encryption of data.

Waveset

Thread seems overwhelmingly positive so allow me to have a moan:

No support for streaming or local 3D video files?
No system level integration of downsampling on the Pro?

Hasney

Seriously eating my words with the external HDD support. Interested in seeing some speed tests when DF get their hands on it, but still, good work. Just after I sold my XB1 and have a 500GB drive spare too.

External HDD is great news, shame it needs to hang out the front of the console.

Buy a pro. You get one on the back then!

Considering taking my 2TB Samsung Evo out of my PS4 now and sticking it in my PC. I'd then take the 960GB SSD out of my PC and put it in my PS4. Use an external for games I'm not currently playing...

bebop242

As an owner of 2 ps4s, I'm hoping I can use one HDD and switch between both systems as needed. Not holding my breath though.

Top Bottom